Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,891 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives (1080 Views)

Danish Woman Adopts 'Witchcraft' Boy And Gives Him A New Name (Photo) / The Amazing Transformation Of The Abandoned Nigerian "Witchcraft" Child / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by maasoap(m): 8:01am On Jan 17, 2012
The killing of a 45-
year-old Akwa Ibom
man, Mr. Mfon Edung,
by people believed to
be his relatives over
allegation of
witchcraft is
generating concerns
among the family of
the slain man.
It was learnt that the
father of three, who
hailed from Mbokpu
Eyoima in Urue Offong/
Oruko Local
Government Area of
the state, was killed
on his way to collect
his church’s pulpit
from Mr. Ini Edung on
Friday.
An eyewitness, who
preferred anonymity,
said the deceased was
riding
on a motorcycle
when he saw some
men at Oyoku Ubighi,
drinking and eating dog
meat at a joint.
The eyewitness
explained that the
men jumped inside a
vehicle immediately
they sighted him and
chased the deceased.
He said, “We saw
Mfon riding on a
motorcycle and almost
all the men that were
drinking left
immediately to close
him. They followed
him and when they
got to a desolate area,
hit him with their
vehicle.
“As he tried to get up
and run, people around
the area, who thought
it was an accident,
rushed to the scene to
rescue him.
“But no fewer than
five persons got out
of the vehicle, with
axes and cutlasses
and hacked the
deceased. They shot
into the air sporadically
to scare the crowd,
and took the body
away to an unknown
destination.”
Also, a bicycle rider,
who also craved
anonymity,
corroborated
the
eyewitness’ account.
He added that as he
was running to the
scene to rescue the
deceased, he saw
some men coming out
of a white Volvo car
with no number plate.
He said, “When I saw
them, I was afraid and
quickly
retreated. In
the process of killing
Mfon, I heard one of
them say, ‘You use
your witchcraft power
to kill my mother. I
warned you if the
woman died, you too
would die. And let us
see if your witchcraft
will be able to save
you.’
“I held my breath.
When they finished
cutting the deceased
up, they took the body
away, and nobody
could trace them
anymore.”
The wife of the
deceased, Ikwo, said
her husband was going
to ask Etim how far he
had
gone with the
aluminium pulpit he
was making for the
church. She said from what
she learnt, when her
husband was returning
home
around 5pm at
Mbokpu Oyoima, a
vehicle was trailing him
but he didn’t notice it.
She said she learnt her
husband was killed at
a desolate area,
opposite a church at
Oyoku Ibighi, in Urue
Offong/Oruko LGA.
She said her husband
had abandoned home
to live with friends
following repeated
threat messages by
his relations.
She said, “All along
they had been sending
threat messages to
the extent that a
Deacon in a church,
summoned my
husband and advised
him to avoid some of
his relations because
of the threats.
“My husband had on
two occasions been
mercilessly beaten by
his own people and
some cult men in the
village. When I
reported the matter
to the police who
came to my husband’s
rescue, his relations
blamed me and fined
me one she-goat and
10 bottles of locally-
made gin for insulting
them by calling the
police.
“They blamed my
husband for the
sickness of her sister
and said if the woman
should die, my
husband would also be
killed. And so, they
carried out their
threat.”
Ikwo said when she
reported the matter
to the police in the
area, they asked what
she expected them to
do after the man had
been killed.
When contacted, the
Police Public Relations
Officer, Mr.
Onyekaozuru Orji, said
the police were
unaware of the
incident but would do
everything within their
constitutional power
to bring all the culprits
to book. Source:www.punchng.com/metro/man-accused-of-witchcraft-hacked-death-by-relatives/
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by maasoap(m): 8:07am On Jan 17, 2012
Barbarian Ibos! Come out to protest and demand for your right, they no come. If a family could do this to their family member, it really says a lot these primitive animals. One she-goat and ten bottles of kain-kain. I wonder what they will give the woman in return now. Shameless people.
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by Dereformer(m): 8:27am On Jan 17, 2012
^^^
You are very ignorant. Who told you the man is an Ibo?
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by maasoap(m): 8:38am On Jan 17, 2012
Prove he was not. Which culture in Nigeria fine people with "she-goat and bottles of kain-kain? May be you're not Ibo and you're not informed as well or, you're ignorant of your culture.
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by Ndata(m): 8:47am On Jan 17, 2012
@massoap You must be a stark illiterate.If you could not read and comprehend. Maybe you are a slowpoke who is opportuned to have a computer qnd internet eccess.
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by maasoap(m): 9:27am On Jan 17, 2012
^^^ Are you really communicating? I'm sure you couldn't come up with better line of defence. This is it, domestic injustice. Instead of addressing it, they'll keep crying of BoKo Harams, portraying themselves as targetted victims. Culture that suppresses women from crying out to prevent untimely death of their husbands. Culture that forces women remain silent even in the face of threat and impending disaster. Animals.
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by hippyzuki(f): 1:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
Mumu since when did calabar become igbo to you, Mumu @ its peak God save you
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by Aparche(f): 2:39pm On Jan 17, 2012
maasoap:

Prove he was not. Which culture in Nigeria fine people with "she-goat and bottles of kain-kain? May be you're not Ibo and you're not informed as well or, you're ignorant of your culture.

Were u so blinded by ur hatred for ibos that u couldn't see that the victim is from Akwa Ibom State(Even his name & Local Govt. were mentioned). Or is it ignorance that is worrying you? (maybe you sincerely believe that Akwa-Ibom is an Igbo State)
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by maasoap(m): 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2012
You have been told, you saw it coming and you have to stand the heat. May be you should request for the husband's corpse too. After all, Animal na animal.
Re: Man Accused Of Witchcraft Hacked To Death By Relatives by Nkeon: 12:24pm On Mar 02, 2012
Why are you people wasting time arguing about whether these people are Ibo or not? Is that the issue here? The point is that superstition crazy people have butchered this man in the most inhumane way and that people in Nigeria are being subjected to abuse and murder because of fruitless and evidenceless accusations of witchcraft.

(1) (Reply)

Classic FM 97.3: Doctors On Air / My Funny Little Cousin / Advice Needed Urgently On The Best Interest Of A Child In distance Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.