Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

The Flag of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Flag of Nigeria (14929 Views)

Ambode With Lai Mohammed, D'banj At The Flag Off Of One Lagos Fiesta - Photos / The Black Jihad Flag Of The Kano Emirate / Massive Turn Out Of Supporters To The Flag Off Campaign Of Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah. Vid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 3:25am On Jul 14, 2005
The green white green to me is very boring and says nothing about the people of nigeria. If given a chance would you guys change the flag and what would you change it into?

in the US the stars represent the many states and inn south africa the multi colored flag speaks to the diversity of the people. in jamaica its the same thing (out of many,one) and in japan the flag has sysbols from thier culture. I think Nigeria could do with a makeover that says something about who we are
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:57am On Jul 14, 2005
Nigerian flag is Unique. And the uniqeness is that it speaks nothing about us.

If i am to change it i will change it to the picture below.

That writting under that says "Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress". I love it. I wouldn't want to change much about the flag. I just love the flag and i think it's great.

Why I think it's great is that,, at my school i had to give a speech about my country, and i wore, green hat, white shirt, and a green pant (trouser). It was so unique when i told them that was my country's flag. They were like, wow...so unique yet simple.

P.S, changing the flag can never happen...it's is and shall continue to be green white green

Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2005
other countries have changed thier flags after many years like south africa and irag. Nigeria will do the same. I like that thing you added to it, but it'll be hard for a kid to draw it. I think it needs some africa symbol in the middle like the kenyan flag has a sheild
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Angelgal(f): 3:56pm On Jul 14, 2005
I dunno what we (Nigeria) have with eagles. If they want to leave an African symbol on the flag, they'd probably get rid of the horses and enlarge the eagle. Kids can draw that I think?

In primary school we were taught that green symbolises fertility or growth..dunno now..and that the white was for peace and unity.

Nigeria is made up of several tribes, if they want to change the colour of the flag and make it multicoloured every tribe would want to be represented. (What a rainbow that would be!) Maybe that's why the flag is simple just as well..
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Angelgal(f): 3:58pm On Jul 14, 2005
The Angolan flag has a machet (cutlass) on their flag as a symbol. Goes to show you the violence in that country, ravaged by war for several years is well represented even on their flag!
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Greatpeter(m): 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2005
Obong, there is nothing wrong with that flag and ths colour.
The flag speaks about us only if you know and better still you would have asked the meaning first.

This flag was designed lond ago I understand but anytime it is hosted with other flags in the world I always compare it and I adjudged it the best. You might not buy that from me.

The Green means -  Agriculture, we are blessed with good soil, and weather. Best weather in the world. We can grow virtually everything in this nation. What we can not plant in the south here can germinate in Jos or else where in the North. We've got both the hot and cold weather.

You'll agree with me, our major source of income was agriculture before we discovered the first Oil in Oloibiri in Bayelsa state.

The white means peace and unity. Nigerians were living in peace and unity before all these tribal, political and Religious crisis here and there.

And I believe it's still our vision to live happily together. Our diversity to be our strength.

(Eagles and Horse there are nothing but symbols of Strength.) We are the strongest African country.
God help us - Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 5:15pm On Jul 14, 2005
Greatpeter, i know what the flag means, and thats pricesely why I asked for a possible change.

Agriculture, doesn't speak to the essence of the country. Just because we used to be agricultural (like every other country is the world) doesnt mean its should be on the flag. Neither should a oil rig be on the flag because we make money from oil.

Peace is a compenent of every country, so it doesn't differentiate us or speak to us.

I was speaking of something like the flag of japan,

The national flag of Japan, known as Nisshōki (日章旗) or Hinomaru (日の丸 "sun disc"wink in Japanese, is a base white flag with a large red disc (representing the rising sun) in the centre. A legend says that its origins lie in the days of Mongol invasions of Japan in the 13th century, when the Buddhist priest Nichiren was supposed to have offered the sun disc flag to the Emperor of Japan, who was considered a descendant of the sun goddess Amaterasu. In fact the sun disc symbol is known to have been displayed on folding fans carried in the 12th century by samurai involved in the feud between the Taira and Minamoto clans. It was widely used on military banners in the Sengoku ("Warring States"wink period of the 15th and 16th centuries. Subsequent Shogunates established it as the flag to be flown from Japanese ships

or south africa

When the new flag was designed, it was specifically stated that the colours had no official meaning or symbolism, other than their choice from their use in the past. However, in recent times an unofficial consensus has been reached in terms of an accepted meaning for the flag and its colours. The pall (Y) is stated to symbolise the convergence as one unified nation. The red symbolises blood. The blue indicates open skies, while the green symbolises the land of South Africa. The black represents black South Africans, and the white represents white South Africans. Yellow is for the natural resources of South Africa, such as gold.

Despite the official denial of symbolism, three of the colours – black, green and yellow – are found in the flag of the African National Congress. The other three – red, white and blue – are used in the flag of the Netherlands and the flag of the United Kingdom; these colours were also found in the old flag of South Africa, although with orange instead of red. The flag could thus be interpreted as a display of unity between the two South African traditions. Red, yellow and green are also the Pan-African colours.

Even the american flag speaks to its states and original colonies.

My point is these flags speak about the land, the people, the history, etc. Its deeper than some colonial creation.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:26pm On Jul 14, 2005
how do u people sit down and type so much
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 5:40pm On Jul 14, 2005
I didnt type it. I copied and pasted it from the web. I dont have that much info n my head or that much time to type all of that
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:42pm On Jul 14, 2005
ohh. I was begining to think i was dumb. wink
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 15, 2005
bros yeh! i love the flag. at least its better than other african countries who have copy-cat flags: ghana,senegal,togo e.t.c or uganda,zimbabwe e.t.c

NAIJA AND GREEN WHIET GREEN FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by babe(f): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2005
to me the 9gerian flag is fine

we can think of the green color as a new begining of things we hope for (faith)
and the white as peace, we hope for (faith)

ans as for the eagles, that is the only animal that can look straight at the SUN and not get hurt.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Vongauche(m): 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2005
this is my first post on here. here goes...

i agree with all of u and not cos i'm new and trying to fit in cheesy yes, i do sometimes feel that the naija flag is dull at times but the design is significant and i'm glad we all know the raison d'etre - green symbolising lush vegetation, and white symbolising peace (unity in diversity).

but sometimes i stare at the US stars and stripes and I actually find it RAZZ! shocked and what happens if and when Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state? they'll add another star!

the japanese sun disc is apt given it's the "land of the rising sun" and the sun does rise in the east grin

as for jamaica, black symbolises the colour of the people, yellow is for the sun and green is for their vegetation.

and the so-called "copy-catter" african flags (ghana, senegal, cameroun etc) are so because yellow, balck and red are meant to be pan-african colours. these countries were strong proponents of Pan-africanism and negritude (Kwame Nkrumah & Leopold Senghor). that's the reason why u have rastafarians like Bob Marley (RIP) wearing such coloured hats and wristbands.

my only [i] constant[/i]greviance with the Nigerian flag is that the shade of green changes angry yes, i know we Nigerians are generally unsophisticated (including myself) but we can't we decide on a particular shade of green? yesterday, it was "normal" green. today, it's dark green and tomorrow it'll be light green. even the FG is guilty of this!

while we're deciding what shade of green can we tell the NFA to add one more colour to our official football strip? green is generally not a nice colour for a football jersey. And NO, I'm not gay!
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Ka: 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2005
New flag, huh?

The best thing is to have a flag that represents our true culture... so we should have a black flag (representing crude oil) with the symbol of two hands exchanging a large colourful plastic bag of money in the centre.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 10:59pm On Jul 17, 2005
Vongauche, you're right about everything. I do like the stars on the US flag, even if it goes to 100. Nigeria needs something like that to recognize the various groups within the country. or the various states.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Angelgal(f): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2005
Ka don't you mean a ghana must go bag to represent the money? grin

Further info on the American flag, the red stripes represents the blood that was shed during their independence war with the British, when America finally became a nation on its own.

Vongauche you ain't gay of course (or rather I hope) I dunno why men that have good colour combinations are regarded as gay!
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 2:13am On Jul 19, 2005
even if he's gay its ok. nothing wrong with being gay

but anyway, the stripes also represent te original 13 colonies. there are 13 stripes
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 2:55am On Jul 19, 2005
uhmm gay is gay. But nothing wrong being gay. Just that when you wear rainbow colors, you need not announce to people that you are gay.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 3:27am On Jul 19, 2005
true true
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 19, 2005
Vongauche:while we're deciding what shade of green can we tell the NFA to add one more colour to our official football strip? green is generally not a nice colour for a football jersey

who told you that? green is good on the Eagles abeg. GREEN WHITE GREEN FOR LIFE MAN! cool

Ka :
New flag, huh?

The best thing is to have a flag that represents our true culture... so we should have a black flag (representing crude oil) with the symbol of two hands exchanging a large colourful plastic bag of money in the centre.

bros u spoke the truth, u're cracking me up grin.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by makgod(m): 12:05pm On Jul 19, 2005
colourful plastic bag at the centre.... grin, damn!!! guys are funny.

I met a guy once in Thailand, and our first discussion was like this.
guy :are u Nigerian..?
me : yes.
me : u..?
guy : yes.
guy : are u proud 2 be a nigerian...?
me : of course yes.
guy : God purnish u.
me ; why...?
guy : i swear to god If no be say u tell me say u from naija...i no for tell u say na there i from.
guy ; until they change that name and that flag... i no fit tell any body say na there i from.
me ; laughs.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by Vongauche(m): 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2005
abeg o, i am 100% heterosexual. so angelgal, hotangel and all other ladies in the house feel free to toast me &viceversa. i know u want to cool .and there is something very wrong with being gay/lesbian IMO but that's another topic.

anyway, i say keep the Nigeria flag but choose a definite colour.

@makgod: it's a shame some peeps aren't proud to be nigerians but who can we blame them
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 5:28am On Jul 20, 2005
Yeah, i would also change the nme of the country, but thats another thread
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:35am On Jul 20, 2005
okay Vongauche
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 11:19am On Jul 25, 2005
The Nigerian flag is not very colourful, agreed but if we consider the fact that we are a multi-ethnic people I guess we should just leave it that way as someone already said that it's really going to be a rainbow colour.

Those of us saying other countries changed theirs. May I also ask that we copy everything they do?

Just because somene is doing something somehow doesn't mean you should just follow suit.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 3:46pm On Jul 25, 2005
I think if the reasons those countries changed thier flags is similar to ours and helps the country by sybolically showing a rebirth, i think its a good idea. Nigeria's flag was made byt he colonialist and realyl isnt ours
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2005
@ Obong. Why not suggest a colour combination may be Nairalanders may start a push for a change of the Nigerian flag. cheesy

Does nayone here have any idea if our leaders have said anything about this?
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by obong(m): 1:34pm On Jul 26, 2005
I think black (for the people), red (blood shed to remain united) and yellow (the tropical sun) should be added to the flag. The green white green can remain, but i'm not sure how the design would look.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 9:23am On Aug 02, 2005
So, nairalanders what say you to obong's suggestion?
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:48am On Aug 03, 2005
Not cool.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 8:25am On Aug 03, 2005
More contributions please on obong's suggestion.
Re: The Flag of Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 8:26am On Aug 03, 2005
Sorry, typographical error. I mean obong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bode George Wins African Leadership Award / EFCC Drops N6bn Fraud Charges Against Ex-works Minister / FG Silent On Concessioning Of Onitsha Port, Assures Early Delivery Of Baro Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.