Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,589 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers (44154 Views)

Brain Teasers Can You Slove These? / 22 Very Important Google Search Tricks / Brain Teasers Required To Increase Your IQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ImperialMcHael(m): 3:34pm On Feb 17, 2012
jedisco:

ANSWER: you ask him 'if I meyour twin brother and asked him the right road to follow, which one would he show me?
Then you simply follow the opposite road of any one he shows you
True! But I'm also right with "If I were here 10mins ago, which way would you say is the right way?"
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 3:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
No Qualms:

If the Iron is not in powder form (ground), it is of larger volume
Are you kidding!? WRONG!! angry
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Ibomade1: 4:26pm On Feb 17, 2012
sauer:

was running in my head through my store of maths tricks and discovered:

3 can divide any number, which if you add its digits is divisible itself by 3
e.g 27/3 = 9, but then (2+7)/3 = 3!

393/3 = 131, and (3+9+3)/3 = 5!

Try yours

I discovered this about 15 years ago that
3 consecutive numbers are always divisible by 3 without leaving a remainder
123/3 = 41
789/3 = 263

To make it more interesting, if you take the[b] sum [/b]of 3 consecutive numbers it will also be divisible by 3 without leaving a remainder

1+2+3 /3 = 2
7+8+9/3 = 8

Try it out
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
^- If you have 3 consecutive #s, then you are taking X, X+1, X+2, summing, and then dividing by 3. The answer will always be X+1.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by moshoodn(m): 7:38pm On Feb 17, 2012
me coming with mine now.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2012
Mr. Sauer, you haven't confirmed my answer yet, is the last child Omega?

From earlier:

Maggie Mathematical has five sons. One is called Alpha, another is called Beta, the third is called Gamma and the fourth is called Fred. What is the fifth son's name?

Thanks all!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by moshoodn(m): 8:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth.
The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.
Lion: Yesterday I was lying.
Unicorn: So was I.
On which day did they say that?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by sparklebaby: 8:56pm On Feb 17, 2012
^^ it was on a thursday.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
moshoodn:

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth.
The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

The lion can't remember the day he lied?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
moshoodn:

Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by moshoodn(m): 9:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
D.pinaku:

you can do better
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 17, 2012
A bottle is fully filled with oil and it weighs 1.5Kg. When it is half filled with the oil it weighs 900g. What is the weight of the bottle?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ImperialMcHael(m): 12:11am On Feb 18, 2012
moshoodn:

It was a monday!
Its uncertain if the unicorn can lie on sunday (as it is not a "day of the week"wink
Any better luck?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by somegirl1: 12:17am On Feb 18, 2012
sparkle-baby got it right, twas Thursday
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by dj5naira(m): 12:29am On Feb 18, 2012
What of English brain teasers? Why only Maths?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by somegirl1: 12:49am On Feb 18, 2012
D.pinaku:

A bottle is fully filled with oil and it weighs 1.5Kg. When it is half filled with the oil it weighs 900g. What is the weight of the bottle?

let the bottle be a  and oil be b
a + b = 1.5kg
a + b/2 = 0.9kg
b = 1.2kg

mass of bottle = 0.3kg
mass shd do but since u asked for weight:
weight of bottle = 0.3kg* 9.8 = 29.4N
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by RichyBlacK(m): 1:03am On Feb 18, 2012
No Qualms:

If the Iron is not in powder form (ground), it is of larger volume

Mass = Density * Volume

So, if mass is constant, then density and volume have an inverse relationship, i.e., the lower the density, the higher the volume.

Since powder has a lower density than iron, then powder has a higher volume, given mass equality.

The form the iron takes (powder or not) may not be relevant, as long as the density of iron is fixed, which is a reasonable assumption.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 2:37am On Feb 18, 2012
yeeeeeee!!! our thread don reach front page! sauer you have me to thank cool
sauer:

And can we have your workings!?
Flashboy, here is a challenge for you! tongue

i was letting the mediocres shine and you had to come challenge me abi, e be like say you want make i kill the thread again wink

well from the equation 3x+4x=5x
therfore 3x = 5x - 4x
using the law of difference of two squares (which i hope you know) (5+4) (5-4) = 3x
9=3x
32=3x
x=3 cool
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 2:39am On Feb 18, 2012
^^^^ sorry, x=2. made a typo mistake, and the modifying aint working.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 2:42am On Feb 18, 2012
jedisco:

ANSWER: you ask him 'if I meyour twin brother and asked him the right road to follow, which one would he show me?
Then you simply follow the opposite road of any one he shows you
nice one! wink sauer learn from this tongue tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ImperialMcHael(m): 3:15am On Feb 18, 2012
Imperial McHæl:

It was a monday!
Its uncertain if the unicorn can lie on sunday (as it is not a "day of the week"wink
Any better luck?
Waoh, I can't believe I'm as dumb as that!
Thursday it is
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 5:39am On Feb 18, 2012
Flashaldrin:

yeeeeeee!!! our thread don reach front page! sauer you have me to thank cooli was letting the mediocres shine and you had to come challenge me
angry angry angry

Flashaldrin:

yeeeeeee!!! our thread don reach front page! sauer you have me to thank cooli was letting the mediocres shine and you had to come challenge me abi, e be like say you want make i kill the thread again wink

well from the equation 3x+4x=5x
therfore 3x = 5x - 4x
using the law of difference of two squares (which i hope you know) (5+4) (5-4) = 3x
9=3x
32=3x
x=3 cool
we need to check if you actually attended/attend any school? are you sure your school is not some ramshack along lagos-ibadan expressway? tongue
difference of two squares!? u gotta be kidding me! undecided
No, Mr. You can't use difference of two squares, because. . . .simply put, those aint two squares. Who's gonna back me up here!?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 5:41am On Feb 18, 2012
simply put, those aint two squares. At least not before the answer becomes apparent undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 18, 2012
ItsModella:

Mr. Sauer, you haven't confirmed my answer yet, is the last child Omega?

From earlier:

Maggie Mathematical has five sons. One is called Alpha, another is called Beta, the third is called Gamma and the fourth is called Fred. What is the fifth son's name?

Thanks all!

Nah, nah, nah! It's not omega. Answer was actually provided earlier. It's a question which broke the back of many an attempter on here. Ask Flashboy and emofine! undecided

Answer is right there. . . .Thanksall. And that's justified. Not with the many "Thankgod", "Thanksheaven", "Goodluck" names we hear around Nigeria!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 18, 2012
some-girl:

a + b = 1.5kg
a + b/2 = 0.9kg
b = 1.2kg

mass of bottle = 0.3kg
weight of bottle = 0.3kg* 9.8 = 29.4N
some-girl:

a + b = 1.5kg
a + b/2 = 0.9kg
b = 1.2kg

mass of bottle = 0.3kg
2.94N you meant.
very smart one.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 7:33am On Feb 18, 2012
You have 3 goats and 5 plots of grass for feeding the goats. How can you share the plots so that each goat has equal share when you can only split a plot and any subdivision by half?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by madprof(m): 10:24am On Feb 18, 2012
sauer:

angry angry angry
we need to check if you actually attended/attend any school? are you sure your school is not some ramshack along lagos-ibadan expressway? tongue
No, Mr. You can't use difference of two squares, because. . . .simply put, those aint two squares. Who's gonna back me up here!?

Right, they're not squares, unless of course x=2.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 18, 2012
madprof:

Right, they're not squares, unless of course x=2.
Good wink
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 18, 2012
Lord_Reed:

You have 3 goats and 5 plots of grass for feeding the goats. How can you share the plots so that each goat has equal share when you can only split a plot and any subdivision by half?
anything like
1 + (1/2) + (1/cool + (1/32) + (1/128) + (1/512) + . . . . . . .
until a subdivision is so small it is insignificant?
the series sums to equal distribution of plots anywyz undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by somegirl1: 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2012
D.pinaku:

2.94N you meant.
Thanks wink
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by NoQualms1(f): 3:54pm On Feb 18, 2012
sauer:

Are you kidding!? WRONG!! angry

Mr Sauer, what is d correct answer?

RichyBlacK:

Mass = Density * Volume

So, if mass is constant, then density and volume have an inverse relationship, i.e., the lower the density, the higher the volume.

Since powder has a lower density than iron, then powder has a higher volume, given mass equality.

The form the iron takes (powder or not) may not be relevant, as long as the density of iron is fixed, which is a reasonable assumption.

Do you mean 'since sand has a lower density than iron'?
sauer:

angry angry angry
Lol, fear take style catch me when i saw that analysis. How did x become 2 suddenly?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2012
@sauer
You will not get to a point where the subdivision is insignificant. The answer is quite simple. Actually there multiple paths to the answer. wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Kwarapoly Graduating Students Punished For Stylishly Signing Out After Its Ban / Tsakuwa Primary School In Taraba In Bad Condition (Photos) / Graduate Runs To Her Father's Mechanic Shop, Dresses Him in Her Graduation Gown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.