Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers (44109 Views)

Brain Teasers Can You Slove These? / 22 Very Important Google Search Tricks / Brain Teasers Required To Increase Your IQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Lyzbet: 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
sauer: Seven years ago, Julia's mum was twice as old as Julia. Today Julia's mum is 31. How old is Julia?
Julia is nineteen years old now
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by purplekayc(m): 11:44am On Oct 03, 2012
Lyzbet:
Julia is nineteen years old now

Explain ... Equations?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by purplekayc(m): 12:04pm On Oct 03, 2012
^^^

Julia =x

Mum= y

2x=y-7

Since julias mum is now 31 , we substitute

2x=31-7

2x=24

X=12

X + 7 years
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
oladayo042: If five people can kill five rats in five minutes, how many rats will fifty-five people kill in fifty-five minutes?

If these five people killed five rats in five mins then fifty five people will only kill fifty five rats in fifty five mins!

Now if EACH of these five people killed five rats in five mins (meaning they killed 25 rats in total) then fifty five people will kill 3025 rats in a fifty five mins period.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Dochido(m): 10:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
sauer: If you have three apples and you took away two, how many will you have?
ans 1apples
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Lyzbet: 5:52am On Oct 04, 2012
purplekayc: ^^^

Julia =x

Mum= y

2x=y-7

Since julias mum is now 31 , we substitute

2x=31-7

2x=24

X=12

X + 7 years
tot u didnt kw it. Good job, welldone
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by purplekayc(m): 9:02am On Oct 10, 2012
Dochido: ans 1apples

You will still have all three apples oo!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 26, 2012
Question:
The marvel hero, Flash is to run against a tortoise. He gives the tortise a head start. So after tortoise gets to point A, Flash starts to run to catch up with the tortoise. But the claim is that Flash will never catch up with Mr. Tortoise. How then? Flash has to get to point A before we can say he's caught up with tortoise. But by then, Mr. Tortoise is in point B, i.e. point B - A ahead. Flash has to run that distance. When Flash gets to point B, Mr. Tortoise is now in point C. So, it goes and Flash never catches tortoise. Can someone logically explain whatz happening?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 7:42am On Oct 26, 2012
Q:

There was an Ijebu man who lived near a hill.

Every Monday morning @ 9am, he would walk a path from his home to the top of this hill, meditate and pray.

Then Tuesday morning @ 9am, he would walk the same path from the top of the hill back to his home.

Is there any time at which he crossed the same spot on both Monday and Tuesday?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by somegirl1: 12:22pm On Oct 26, 2012
^yes, mid way
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 2:07am On Oct 27, 2012
What do you mean by midway?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by purplekayc(m): 9:28am On Oct 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Q:

There was an Ijebu man who lived near a hill.

Every Monday morning @ 9am, he would walk a path from his home to the top of this hill, meditate and pray.

Then Tuesday morning @ 9am, he would walk the same path from the top of the hill back to his home.

Is there any time at which he crossed the same spot on both Monday and Tuesday?

Is this math? undecided or quantitative reasoning?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by somegirl1: 10:58am On Oct 29, 2012
ekt_bear:

My dear, if there exists a SPOT where they cross paths, then necessarily there exists a TIME, right?

So how can you say it is impossible to tell if there is such a time?

Like I keep saying, the speed he goes in either direction is irrelevant to the existence of a time.

Your question was interpreted to have asked if there was a particular time when the man or both men were at the same spot.
e.g 20m from his home at 11am on both Monday and Tuesday.

Hence my very first response:

Let's say the journey to the hill top takes a total of 2 hrs
Assuming he walks at the same speed all the way to and fro.

At 10am on Monday and Tuesday, he'd be halfway between the his home and the hill top.

What you now seem to be asking is whether they would have crossed paths at any time which is a different question.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 11:05am On Oct 29, 2012
some-girl:

Let's say the journey to the hill top takes a total of 2 hrs
Assuming he walks at the same speed all the way to and fro.

At 10am on Monday and Tuesday, he'd be halfway between the his home and the hill top.

OK. So what if:
a) His speed is not constant. Say he is accelerating at 1 meter/second^2 or something.
b) he doesn't walk at the same speed going up the hill as down the hill. So pretend he goes up the hill with velocity 1 m/s, but down the hill with velocity 2 m/s.

What then? Is it still true that there is some time at which he is at the same spot on both days?

You are on the right track though...push it further and see if you can generalize.

purplekayc:
Is this math? undecided or quantitative reasoning?
When I solved the problem, I did so using math. But you can actually solve it using elementary reasoning too.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 12:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
ekt_bear:

OK. So what if:
a) His speed is not constant. Say he is accelerating at 1 meter/second^2 or something.
b) he doesn't walk at the same speed going up the hill as down the hill. So pretend he goes up the hill with velocity 1 m/s, but down the hill with velocity 2 m/s.

What then? Is it still true that there is some time at which he is at the same spot on both days?

You are on the right track though...push it further and see if you can generalize.

When I solved the problem, I did so using math. But you can actually solve it using elementary reasoning too.

I wonder how you solved it with unknown variables on both sides of the equation.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 12:43pm On Oct 29, 2012
Hmm. OK, so I'll give away the answer? Or rather give a hint that basically tells you the answer.

What happens if we merge the two days? Pretend that is an identical old man walking down the hill Monday at 9am?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 29, 2012
sauer: Question: The marvel hero, Flash is to run against a tortoise. He gives the tortise a head start. So after tortoise gets to point A, Flash starts to run to catch up with the tortoise. But the claim is that Flash will never catch up with Mr. Tortoise. How then? Flash has to get to point A before we can say he's caught up with tortoise. But by then, Mr. Tortoise is in point B, i.e. point B - A ahead. Flash has to run that distance. When Flash gets to point B, Mr. Tortoise is now in point C. So, it goes and Flash never catches tortoise. Can someone logically explain whatz happening?
pointC marks the end of the contest.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by purplekayc(m): 2:34pm On Oct 31, 2012
Lord_Reed:

I wonder how you solved it with unknown variables on both sides of the equation.

Abeg tell am !
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 4:12pm On Oct 31, 2012
ekt_bear: Hmm. OK, so I'll give away the answer? Or rather give a hint that basically tells you the answer.

What happens if we merge the two days? Pretend that is an identical old man walking down the hill Monday at 9am?

Without a speed assumption how do you determine how much distance he covers?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Without a speed assumption how do you determine how much distance he covers?

Well, think about it this way. Call our original Ijebu man Tunde. Now, whatever speed the man Tunde travels on Tuesday, pretend there is an identically fast old man (Femi) who is walking down the hill a day earlier (on Monday).

So, Tunde is walking up this hill Monday @ 9am, Femi is walking down the hill Monday @ 9am. They are on the exact same path. So of course, at some point, they will have to walk past each other. So there is some time at which they are both at the same position.

(Just FYI, this simple explanation is NOT the one i initially came up with when I solved this problem...I did something a lot more complicated and less elegant).

Kind of a neat brain teaser, no? cheesy
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Kilode1: 11:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
Off Topic post, apologies.

ekt_bear: ....

Bro, I just read that NYT link in your profile. Good read.

Have you read John Ogbu's work? He was a Berkeley Prof. of Sociology. His work "A Study of Academic Disengagement" was a seminal research on that topic. Died years ago. He was from Nigeria too.

He identified immigrant culture as the reason for the disparity explained in that article and not innate intelligence or anything like that.

I wonder how African immigrant kids (1st - 2nd Gen ) do on that New York test, I won't be surprised if they compare well with Asians.

Review here: http://www.hepg.org/her/abstract/38

Ogbu's bio: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/senate/inmemoriam/johnogbu.htm
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 5:33am On Nov 01, 2012
ekt_bear:

Well, think about it this way. Call our original Ijebu man Tunde. Now, whatever speed the man Tunde travels on Tuesday, pretend there is an identically fast old man (Femi) who is walking down the hill a day earlier (on Monday).

So, Tunde is walking up this hill Monday @ 9am, Femi is walking down the hill Monday @ 9am. They are on the exact same path. So of course, at some point, they will have to walk past each other. So there is some time at which they are both at the same position.

(Just FYI, this simple explanation is NOT the one i initially came up with when I solved this problem...I did something a lot more complicated and less elegant).

Kind of a neat brain teaser, no? cheesy

Okay now we have a speed assumption so in this case we can say that since Femi is faster than Tunde they will meet somewhere off center towards Tunde's starting point.

It's not really a brain teaser as there are to many likely endings based on the parameters someone considering the setup would choose. A brain teaser should have very specific answers that require a tortuous route to the answer.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 7:14am On Nov 01, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Okay now we have a speed assumption so in this case we can say that since Femi is faster than Tunde they will meet somewhere off center towards Tunde's starting point.

It's not really a brain teaser as there are to many likely endings based on the parameters someone considering the setup would choose. A brain teaser should have very specific answers that require a tortuous route to the answer.

The point is that, the answer is INDEPENDENT of what the speed of the guy going up the hill Monday at 9am and his speed going down Tuesday 9am.

No matter what the speed functions are (or even more simply, position functions are), there is bound to be some time at which he crosses the same spot on both days.

That is why the puzzle is kind of cool.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 7:15am On Nov 01, 2012
Kilode?!:
Off Topic post, apologies.

Bro, I just read that NYT link in your profile. Good read.

Have you read John Ogbu's work? He was a Berkeley Prof. of Sociology. His work "A Study of Academic Disengagement" was a seminal research on that topic. Died years ago. He was from Nigeria too.

He identified immigrant culture as the reason for the disparity explained in that article and not innate intelligence or anything like that.

I wonder how African immigrant kids (1st - 2nd Gen ) do on that New York test, I won't be surprised if they compare well with Asians.

Review here: http://www.hepg.org/her/abstract/38

Ogbu's bio: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/senate/inmemoriam/johnogbu.htm

Hey, we should probably move this discussion to another thread cheesy
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 10:11am On Nov 01, 2012
ekt_bear:

The point is that, the answer is INDEPENDENT of what the speed of the guy going up the hill Monday at 9am and his speed going down Tuesday 9am.

No matter what the speed functions are (or even more simply, position functions are), there is bound to be some time at which he crosses the same spot on both days.

That is why the puzzle is kind of cool.

It is dependent. Of course they would meet but the point is that with each speed variation the position will change. This is not a brain teaser challenge.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by ektbear: 10:13am On Nov 01, 2012
The question does not ask:

a) "what time does he visit the same spot", or
b) "what is this same spot visited."

It asks,
c) "is there a time he visits the same spot?"

The answer to (c) is independent of his velocity.

Anyway, no worries, if you didn't find it interesting, so be it.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
yinka2392: pointC marks the end of the contest.
Not the right answer. When flash gets to point C, tortoise is already at point D since it's always in motion as well.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 10:27am On Nov 02, 2012
sauer: Question:
The marvel hero, Flash is to run against a tortoise. He gives the tortise a head start. So after tortoise gets to point A, Flash starts to run to catch up with the tortoise. But the claim is that Flash will never catch up with Mr. Tortoise. How then? Flash has to get to point A before we can say he's caught up with tortoise. But by then, Mr. Tortoise is in point B, i.e. point B - A ahead. Flash has to run that distance. When Flash gets to point B, Mr. Tortoise is now in point C. So, it goes and Flash never catches tortoise. Can someone logically explain whatz happening?

Flash is running as fast as the tortoise.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 02, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Flash is running as fast as the tortoise.
Hmmm.... NOOO! grin
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 3:42am On Nov 03, 2012
sauer:
Hmmm.... NOOO! grin

Ok Flash is running in reverse.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 25, 2012
no. Flash is not running in reverse. They run in the same direction. Tortise just appears to be ahead, even though Flash is faster. There must be an explanation for this.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LordReed(m): 6:53am On Nov 26, 2012
sauer: no. Flash is not running in reverse. They run in the same direction. Tortise just appears to be ahead, even though Flash is faster. There must be an explanation for this.

Its been almost a month since you put up your teaser, about time you gave the answer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Rag Day In Madonna University. (photos) / UNILAG Responds To A Post About Professor That Flogged Students On Nairaland / The Inscription On Placards Used By JAMB Protesters (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.