Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69829 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
Here's the custom-machined flange, as I had it made originally. Note the lack of O-ring grooves:

And machined, to accept two large O-rings:

With O-rings fitted:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 29, 2012
New OEM Audi S8 exhaust manifold-to-downpipe retaining nuts, bolts and retainers:

Audi S8 exhaust manifolds, with the old rusty bolts and retainers:

Now fitted with new bolts, nuts and retainers:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
Update 06th December 2012:

I received my spot-weld drill bits in the post today, so the secondary firewall has been removed. I ordered 6 and 8mm bits, as I wasn't 100% sure what size the Audi secondary firewall spot-welds were. I planned to go with 6, then move up to 8mm, but in the end, the 6mm bits did the job perfect.

I'm now left with a hollow box section, which I'm going to plate over with aluminium. I've made a cardboard template. Once she recess is covered, I'm going to steam clean the entire engine bay, degrease it thoroughly, then prep it for paint. Just rub down, primer then 2 final coats of satin or gloss black. Then the 4,2 V8 engine and 01E 6-speed manual tranny can be installed. With the secondary firewall removed, there's loads of room for a big snail to fit at the rear of the engine.

I removed the original heat shielding, which will be replaced once the bay is painted. Some pictures:

Spot welds drilled through in secondary firewall:

Secondary firewall being pulled off:

Secondary firewall removed:

Secondary firewall. Note the VIN stamped into the sheet metal, and riveted tag. These will be transferred to the new locations:

Cardboard template that forms the basis for the aluminium plate that will cover the hollow recess:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 18, 2012
Update 18th December 2012:

As posted earlier, this 4,2 V8 motor is being pared with an 01E 6-speed manual, from a 2001 Audi S4.

Now, my A4 Quattro originally ran an 01A 5-speed manual. Although installing the 6-speed presents very problems, the output flanges will not mate up to the Audi A4 Quattro's driveshafts. The reason is simple - size. 108mm versus 100mm. All petrol-engined A4 Quattro with manual transmission run 100mm inner CV joints, while front-wheel drive models run 108mm.

The Audi S4 also runs 108mm inner CV joints, hence its 6-speed manual has matching output flanges. My options are:

* Buy Audi S4 driveshafts with 108mm inner CV joints.
* Buy Audi A4 FWD driveshafts with 108mm inner CV joints.
* But Audi A4 Quattro rear differential 100mm output flanges.

I went for the third option.

Audi A4 Quattro rear differential output flanges are 100mm, but the important parts that matter (the splined shafts that go into the differential) are the same dimensions as the 108mm items. So Good old eBay came to the rescue, and I purchased a pair. As I already knew, they were a perfect fit. The only differences are the central bolts that hold them in place. The bolt for the 108mm flanges are too short. So a quick call to Ipswich Audi soon had a pair of the longer bolts winging their way to me, they should be with me before the end of the week.

Once they're here, I can bolt the flanges in place. Pictures below:

Replacement 100mm gearbox output flanges, to match Audi A4 Quattro 100mm inner CV joints:

And compared to the outgoing Audi S4 108mm items:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 18, 2012
Update 18th December 2012:

Again, as previously posted, after removing the secondary firewall to create room for a large snail at the rear of the engine, I was left with a hollow box section. Now I originally planned to have an aluminium plate cut to cover this recess (I had a cardboard template as a pattern).

After some thought, I had a change of plan. The original secondary firewall was the ideal donor for the steel strip. I didn't even need to use the cardboard template. Where it was spot welded to the box section, there was an ovbious trace, left by the bonding agent. It was a simple procedure to use an electric jigsaw to carefully cut the shape out, and it's a perfect fit. I ordered a mig welder, so will be spot welding the panel in place. Then it's a question of preparing the whole engine bay, painting it gloss black, then the engine and gearbox can be installed. I aim to get it all in this side of Christmas.

Picture below showing the steel panel cut out of the original secondary firewall:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by talktimi(m): 12:39am On Dec 21, 2012
Impressive, can't wait to see the masterpiece when finished...Boss, I asked your opinion about the 2004 Audi a4 1.8t Quattro and you promised to get back to me with the pros and cons but havnt heard anything yet from you.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 21, 2012
talktimi: Impressive, can't wait to see the masterpiece when finished...Boss, I asked your opinion about the 2004 Audi a4 1.8t Quattro and you promised to get back to me with the pros and cons but havnt heard anything yet from you.

My apologies. Could you please post a link to the thread you created?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by viperman: 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2012
Siena, you have refused to respond to my proposal.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2012
viperman: Siena, you have refused to respond to my proposal.

Huh? I can't remember you making one. What was it about? undecided
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 23, 2012
Update 23rd December 2012:

Today, I was able to complete welding steel plate over the hollow box section, left after removing the secondary firewall. Turned out pretty good - I welded through the holes left after drilling out the spot welds. I actually started yesterday. All I had to do today, was apply a skim of Bondo, and sand it down.

I started with 60 grit, followed by 80, 120 200, 500, 1000 then finally 1200 fine. This is the rear of the engine bay, which will be mostly obscured by the big V8 motor, so I didn't bother going as fine as 2500 wet and dry. I applied a quick coat of grey primer and called it a day.

Tomorroy, I'll prep the rest of the engine bay, prime the lot, then apply three coats of gloss black. Then the engine and trans can be installed. Pictures of the engine bay:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
Update 24th December 2012:

An early start, and I was able to finish the engine bay. I laid down two coats of grey primer, and three coats of gloss black. The V8 motor and 01E 6-speed manual can now be installed. Not till after Christmas though, but definitely before the clocks herald the start of the year 2013.

Pictures!

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 12:07am On Dec 26, 2012
This is turning out to be quite inspiring - epic thread!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:19am On Dec 26, 2012
^^^ Thanks bud! Hopefully, engine and trans should be in place by the 27th.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 26, 2012
Update 26th December 2012:

As the 01E 6-speed manual shifter is very different to that of the 01A 5-speed, the gear selector needed to be replaced. I removed the 5-speed item, and replaced it with the new 6-speed shifter.

The 01E 6-speed is also longer than the 01A 5-speed, so the 6-speed propshaft is correspondingly shorter. I removed the old one, though one of the 6mm hex bolts was pretty chewed up, and it took me close to an hour to remove it. I ended up hammering a 12-point 12mm socket onto it, and was able to remove it that way.

The delay however meant I ran out of time, so was unable to install the engine and trans. They'll definitely be in place tomorrow, as long as there are no other set-backs!

Picture showing the 01A 5-speed manual shifter:

Picture showing the 01E 6-speed manual shifter:

Pictures showing the 01A 5-speed manual versus 01E 6-speed manual shifters:

Pictures showing the 01A 5-speed manual propshaft versus the 01E 6-speed item. (6-speed item is the one pictured on the left and lower of both pictures respectively).

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by davioli(m): 6:08am On Dec 27, 2012
Siena you doing a great job indeed.. I'm observing your overhauling activities with this german machine.. Eager to see how it all turns out. You are one of very few Nigerians making us proud. Hopefully when next i'm in the UK i'll holla @ you boss i've got some great ideas. Friends and family thought i was crazy when @ age 18 my cousin and I without help replaced a manual tranny with an auto tranny in a honda accord 1992 coupe but they ain't seen your works yet which takes crazy to a whole new level. Kudos bruv
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 2:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
I was wondering, Siena - how did you deal with the front upper and lower cross members when taking out the engine?
I'm assuming they were welded on?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
brojero: I was wondering, Siena - how did you deal with the front upper and lower cross members when taking out the engine?
I'm assuming they were welded on?

When you say "lower cross menber", I presume you mean the subframe? That remained in place, and the front panel (radiator support) is bolted on. I simply removed it, together with the radiator, front bumper, then the engine comes out forwards and upwards.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2012
Siena:

When you say "lower cross menber", I presume you mean the subframe? That remained in place, and the front panel (radiator support) is bolted on. I simply removed it, together with the radiator, front bumper, then the engine comes out forwards and upwards.

That makes engine removal much easier then. I'm working on a W126 500SE atm and the radiator support is welded on. It means that the engine has to come out at a mad angle.. it's a real PITA. The pics are from when I was stripping one of my W124's.

[img][/img]
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2012
coming out at an acute angle:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 27, 2012
Update 27th December 2012:

Engine and transmission are in!

I had more issues - the tarmac in front of my garage is slightly soft. The V8 engine and 6-speed manual tranny weigh in at a combined 293 kilos. This meant the steel wheels of the crane were digging into the ground at the front. So lots of levering, and I managed to get a board under the worse affected wheel.

Tomorrow, I'll be making wooden mock-ups of the engine support brackets (one at the front, one either side) to transfer to steel. I can now begin to run my custom stainless steel braided oil lines. I also need to modify the front panel / radiator support.

Pictures:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
brojero: coming out at an acute angle:

I would have removed it with the transmission from underneath, together with the subframe. It's quicker, and you can separate both assemblies easily, once on the bench.

What are you plans? What engine's this - I thought the W126 500 SE was a V8?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
Someone I know actually cut them off and welded them back on, but I'm reluctant to interfere with the original factory welds:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by brojero: 7:06pm On Dec 27, 2012
Siena:

I would have removed it with the transmission from underneath, together with the subframe. It's quicker, and you can separate both assemblies easily, once on the bench.

What are you plans? What engine's this - I thought the W126 500 SE was a V8?

This is an I6 2.8 from a W124. Similar to the issues with the W126, which is a V8, as you pointed out.
Thanks,I'll look into your suggestion, don't want to derail this thread any further, keep those pics coming!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2012
brojero: Someone I know actually cut them off and welded them back on, but I'm reluctant to interfere with the original factory welds:

I've done that in the past, when I installed an Audi V8 into a 1985 Audi 90 Quattro (typ 85 / B2). The 90 degree V8 engine would not go in from the top or bottom. The only way was to go straight in from the front, so I drilled out the factory spot welds (about 100 from memory).

I then made a custom front crossmember which was a bolt-in affair, making future removal and installation a breeze.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
brojero: This is an I6 2.8 from a W124. Similar to the issues with the W126, which is a V8, as you pointed out.
Thanks,I'll look into your suggestion, don't want to derail this thread any further, keep those pics coming!

No worries bro - it's good to see what others are doing to their rides. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 06, 2013
Update 02nd January 2013:

I took time off to modify the lock / radiator carrier, to clear the big V8 motor. I then trial fitted the aluminium radiator. It fit perfectly, though I'm going to reverse the coolant hoses, as the radiator outlets are on the left of the engine bay.

The lock carrier is only fitted temporarily, with two bolts. It will be removed to ease running the oil filter / cooler lines. I have another Audi A4 being delivered to me on Monday, which I will plunder for some parts I need.

Pictures:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Olisa4all: 2:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
one word . . ."WOW". .
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 12, 2013
Olisa4all: one word . . ."WOW". .

Thanks bud!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 14, 2013
Update 14th January 2013:

As with my previous Audi A4 Quattro B5, the original V6 front crossmember would not clear the V8 motor. It was completely the wrong shape, as shown here. Note the interference with V8 engine lower sections:

And replaced with a modified I4 crossmember, that fits perfectly, after a bit of fettling:

V6 and I4 front crossmembers. The top one is the V6, very different shape to the I4 item below:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
Update 14th January 2013 - continued:

Modified radiator and hood lock carrier. To clear the V8, the entire mid-section needed to be cut out. It's not a structural assembly, so not a big deal. All the central section was for was to mount the aircon electric fan, and act as a cowl for the mechanical engine-drive one. As I'm fitting a pair of electric fans on the front of the radiator, it's not needed.

Picture:

Picture showing the twin 12" electric fans temporarily mounted on the radiator:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
Rewind to 07th January 2013:

A friend of mine had a '98 Audi A4 B5 Quattro 1,9 TDI to get rid of. The engine had been starved of oil, and was pretty sludged up. The low oil pressure warning lamp illuminated just before the engine expired with a gasping death rattle.

I took it off his hands, and it was delivered to me today. I was after an I4 front crossmember, as the V6 one would not clear the big V8 motor, so it was just in time. I've picked some choice bits off it, including the 5-speed manual gearbox, rear lamp clusters, the rain guard that covers the wiper area under the hood, various coolant hoses, central locking pump etc, and will literally pillage her for any more juicy bits and pieces.

Pictures!

I took a quick look at the engine, after removing the rocker cover. For those that ignore oil change intervals, use the wrong oil, or remove their thermostats, causing the engine to run too cool (and causing condensation to turn the oil to deadly sludge) this is the end result. This oil was so contaminated, it looked like mud:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.