Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction (3861 Views)

Protesters At Chatham House Claim Ignorance Of The Reasons For Protesting / Rented Crowd Protesting At PDP Secretariat In Benin / Life Sentence For Protesting Soldiers: 'Cheating In Army Ruined My Career' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by Ovularia: 3:27am On Jan 20, 2012
Police arrest 7 doctors for protesting colleague’s abduction
on JANUARY 20, 2012 · in NEWS

BY TONY EDIKE

ENUGU- SEVEN officials of the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, Enugu State chapter, were on Wednesday arrested by the police in Enugu for protesting abduction of an eight-month pregnant medical practitioner, Dr. Chidinma Okwor, by suspected kidnappers.

The doctors, who staged a peaceful protest on some streets of Enugu, were arrested and detained at the state CID for over five hours before they were released Wednesday night.

Arrested were the state Chairman of NMA, Dr Kenechukwu Madu, his Vice, Dr George Ugwu, state Secretary, Dr Peace Amaraegbunam, Chairman, Association of Resident Doctors, ARD, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, UNTH, Enugu, Dr Ugwunna Nwachukwu, his secretary, Dr. Enebe and two other doctors.

The state Police Public Relation Officer, PPRO, Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the arrest yesterday, however,  said the medical practitioners were only invited for questioning and were released after their statements were obtained.

He said they were arrested for violating the state government’s law banning any form of public procession in the state.

”The doctors were arrested because their protest march was against the law made by the state government banning any form of public procession. Going by that law, any type of protest is outlawed in the state and we are enforcing it, he said”.

”They were only invited for questioning and after taking their statements they were released. We did not detain any of them,” the police spokesman said.

The medical doctors who narrated their ordeal to newsmen yesterday condemned the action of the police saying they were not aware of any law that proscribed peaceful protest in the state or in the country as a whole.

They NMA members who converged at the  Parklane Hospital, Enugu for another round of protest yesterday dispersed because of the presence of plain-clothe security men    deployed to check mate them.

The doctors were angered by what they described as the failure of the police to secure the release of their colleague who was abducted since ten days ago from her residence.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/police-arrest-7-doctors-for-protesting-colleagues-abduction/
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by EkoIle1: 3:39am On Jan 20, 2012

”The doctors were arrested because their protest march was against the law made by the state government banning any form of public procession. Going by that law, any type of protest is outlawed in the state and we are enforcing it, he said”.

Only in Hitler style AGIPA land. 

instead make den dey look for the woman, na innocent people den dey harass with their dictator law.

Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by samstradam: 3:54am On Jan 20, 2012
What is wrong with this Chime gan sef, does he think he is Emperor Sylvanus or something??

And these illiterate police, when will they realise that the only thing we ask they read in their 30+ years of miserable service is our substandard constitution??
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by babaowo: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
king chime is rulling on his slave folks lol,
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by LEXYLOV: 12:58pm On Jan 20, 2012
O Bob ooooooooooooo. See this people ooo in a democratic government. Banning any form of public procession going by that law or any type of protest is outlawed in the state  shocked shocked shoooooooooo, shocked shocked shocked that means people of that part of the country has been locked up, no more freedom of expression by their people. Chineke this one fear me oooo.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by ziccoit: 12:59pm On Jan 20, 2012
Nigeria is in civil rule. We are yet to practice democracy. They can only try that with NMA, de no born dem with NBA.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by smarttalks: 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2012
smiley
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by queensmith: 1:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
is protesting really illegal in enugu? that infringes a number of rights and that shouls also be addressed by teh state govenrment.

Anyways the southerners deserve what they get sometimes #notribalism just saying the truth.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by dagboss(m): 1:22pm On Jan 20, 2012
There was no complaint just last week when the same law was implemented to the letters in Enugu, hope you remember that the same democracy/civil rule existed then. I hope the people of Enugu have not boxed themselves into a tight corner. I doubt if any aluta no matter how legitimate will ever hold in that state any more.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by asoebi(m): 1:42pm On Jan 20, 2012
i dey laff, afterall una say yna dey business minded, why the protests naa grin grin grin
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by EARLYBIRDS: 1:51pm On Jan 20, 2012
The doctors acted below their expected intelligence. In these days of uneasy calm, they are expected to get a police permit before embarking on a public procession or protest, however justified their course may be. Truth be told, it sounds hollow that they are ignorant of state rules.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by ismhab(m): 1:53pm On Jan 20, 2012
arrest all the nyamiris, they are second class citizens.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 20, 2012
Is this not worst than military dictaorship?
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by jedisco(m): 2:46pm On Jan 20, 2012
ismhab:

arrest all the nyamiris, they are second class citizens.
BUT i hope you know that the number of people that take and pass JAMB from Anambra state each year far surpass that of any 4 northern regions added together.
I dont even want to go into maternal mortality rate of the so called 1st class citizens
What about giving birth to children and allowing them roam the streets
Or killing your fellow man and expecting god to reward you with 7 virgins.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by kizito96(m): 2:54pm On Jan 20, 2012
Too Bad
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by ziccoit: 3:13pm On Jan 20, 2012
jedisco:

BUT i hope you know that the number of people that take and pass JAMB from Anambra state each year far surpass that of any 4 northern regions added together.
I dont even want to go into maternal mortality rate of the so called 1st class citizens

Point of correction, you people always claim 72 virgins not 7.
However, your case is pathetic due to the fact that you and other claimants are liars with seed of hatred planted in your hearts already germinating and will soon be fruiting.
Imagine carry an hatred-laden gene down the line of your coming generations. Dogmatism kill faster than the arsenic poison bros.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by Soundmind(m): 3:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
@Eko Ile
Enugu is a PDP State not an APGA State.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
EARLYBIRDS:

The doctors acted below their expected intelligence. In these days of uneasy calm, they are expected to get a police permit before embarking on a public procession or protest, however justified their course may be. Truth be told, it sounds hollow that they are ignorant of state rules.

I fully agree with the bolded.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by nagoma(m): 3:41pm On Jan 20, 2012
[b
]@Jedisco[/b]
1. BUT i hope you know that the number of people that take and pass JAMB from Anambra state each year far surpass that of any 4 northern regions added together.
2. I dont even want to go into maternal mortality rate of the so called 1st class citizens
3. What about giving birth to children and allowing them roam the streets
4. Or killing your fellow man and expecting god to reward you with 7 virgins.

You have my full support on points no2 and 3 - a big shame to those people.

However on no.1 you know in Anambra they don't actually pass the exams - honesty is not their strong point and everybody knows that. As for no.4 we have seen our friends in Ebonyi  happy to kill each other, with no promise of virgins at all, just for land which they may not even get.  grin
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by ismhab(m): 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2012
jedisco:

nye mu mmiri,
but you forget to tell us, that they are in the business of buying and selling of jamb question papers, how about making fake university certificate? Arm robbery, taking part in nysc, for more than 5 times, because of the monthly allowance, nye mu mmiri love money more than God.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by jedisco(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
ismhab:

nye mu mmiri,
but you forget to tell us, that they are in the business of buying and selling of jamb question papers, how about making fake university certificate? Arm robbery, taking part in nysc, for more than 5 times, because of the monthly allowance, nye mu mmiri love money more than God.
I hope you know that its only those that finished sec school that write JAMB. So that shows you that the literacy rate between the 2 regions is not comparable. On the issue of exam malpractice its wide spread around the country.

FYI Anambra state is one of the very few states that do not offer free basic education but the people still go to school unlike in the north where a whole school may become empty just because students were told to bring #50 for a subsidized textbook.

In summary northern Nigeria is one of the most under-developed areas in the whole world. So you have no business referring to Igbos as second class citizens while your people live worse than slaves
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by jedisco(m): 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2012
nagoma:

[b

You have my full support on points no2 and 3 - a big shame to those people.

However on no.1 you know in Anambra they don't actually pass the exams - honesty is not their strong point and everybody knows that. As for no.4 we have seen our friends in Ebonyi happy to kill each other, with no promise of virgins at all, just for land which they may not even get. grin
Although I do not support the means through which some of them pass but u cannot compare their resilience (given that education is not free) to the docile nature of some northerners.
People in Ebonyi are fighting for land which is all they have and think is legitimately theirs (even though its wrong) but not killing peopl for some hallucination of virgins in an after life which they are not sure of. MAN there is no room for comparison
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by jedisco(m): 4:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
ziccoit:

Point of correction, you people always claim 72 virgins not 7.
However, your case is pathetic due to the fact that you and other claimants are liars with seed of hatred planted in your hearts already germinating and will soon be fruiting.
Imagine carry an hatred-laden gene down the line of your coming generations. Dogmatism kill faster than the arsenic poison bros.
Man I dont understand you but I still think you are mistaken
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by ismhab(m): 5:09pm On Jan 20, 2012
jedisco:

I hope you know that its only those that finished sec school that write JAMB. So that shows you that the literacy rate between the 2 regions is not comparable. On the issue of exam malpractice its wide spread around the country.

FYI Anambra state is one of the very few states that do not offer free basic education but the people still go to school unlike in the north where a whole school may become empty just because students were told to bring #50 for a subsidized textbook.

In summary northern Nigeria is one of the most under-developed areas in the whole world. So you have no business referring to Igbos as second class citizens while your people live worse than slaves
it is under-developed, thas why i see ur people are being killed by boko haram, but u don't wan't leave, nye mu mmiri.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by Outstrip(f): 5:57pm On Jan 20, 2012
How can there possibly be a law banning protests in a democracy
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by maasoap(m): 6:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
I don't think there will ever be meaningful protests in the South East again for the next three years whether with police permission or not. This is because they've shot themselves in the legs by cowardly staying away from last nationwide protests against subsidy removal. From SE governors to elders to leaders to NLC to youths to NLers from SE. They've successfully killed their own spirits to fight injustice or demand for their rights. A good example was last week charade against perceived killings of their kinsmen in the North by Boko Harams. Despite their calls for other states from the region to join, not a single one of them joined Abians.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by jedisco(m): 8:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
ismhab:

it is under-developed, thas why i see ur people are being killed by boko haram, but u don't wan't leave, nye mu mmiri.

This just shows how you think.
I hope you are expecting your own 72 virgins up there.
But let me ask what kind of place do you think heaven is and also what will your 4 wives here be doing while you deflower your virgins

FYI this is my last reply to you
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by hercules07: 9:18pm On Jan 20, 2012
You do not need a police permit to stage a protest, that is a myth.
Re: Police Arrest 7 Doctors For Protesting Colleague’s Abduction by zumbigbo(m): 12:42am On Jan 21, 2012
NO(-ne) NIGERIA ! TRIBAL FOOLS - READ OUR REALITY

By Taiwo Akinola

The concept of Balance of power could be applied to Nigeria's internal politics, because Nigeria is a state of nationalities but not a nation of individuals. In which case, balancing for survival within the state's internal system is as important as the balancing between states in the international system. The Nigerian state system is in crisis because the northern group of nationalities - under the leadership of the Hausa-Fulani nation - enjoys an over-balance of political power, which it has used to threaten the security of other nations and nationalities within the system. The result is the wide gap between fact and value, based on the assumption that what is good for the North is good for Nigeria.

Balance of power implies an objective arrangement in which there is relatively widespread satisfaction with the distribution of power, so that no one actor or a group of actors can hold others to ransom "with impunity". As a policy guide, it prescribes that structures should be put into place that can reverse or deter any actor from seeking to enjoy over-balanced power.

The need to balance power could lead to war, but this is not to say that balance of power is the cause of wars. The cause of wars can be found in the fundamental issues, which the balance of power seeks to remove. This includes: The need to prevent the establishment of a universal hegemony; to preserve the constituent elements of the system and the system itself; the need to ensure stability and mutual security in the international system; and to strengthen peace by deterring a policy of expansion by any aggressor.

The traditional methods and techniques of maintaining or restoring the balance were: the policy of divide and rule (working to diminish the weight of the heavier side); territorial compensations after a war; creation of buffer states; the formation of alliances; spheres of influence; intervention; diplomatic bargaining; legal and peaceful settlement of disputes; reduction of armaments; armament's competition; and war itself. Pre-colonial existence of balance of power in West Africa Balance of power is not necessarily a new phenomenon in the relationship between the many nationalities that were members of the West African political constellation, some of which later constituted the modern Nigerian State. This balance of power struggle exists independently of internal class problems. Before the arrival of the British colonial government, the geographical area was made up of many nationalities, among which between 250-350 were later brought together to constitute the current Nigerian state.

The area was naturally going through the process of enlarged communities and people moved across ethnic boundaries to maximise threats. The Fulanis were involved in balance of power struggles with the Hausas; the Hausa-Fulani were involved in balance of power struggles with the Yorubas, the Kanuri, and numerous nationalities in the Middle Belt area. The Yorubas were involved in similar struggles with the Dahomeys (now Republic of Benin), Benin and Nupe nationalities. The Igbos too were engaged in a balance of power tussle against Benin, Igala and some other nationalities. None of the actors was able to enjoy over- balanced power, and there was no consciousness to bring about a Nigerian nation-state. Fulani expansion was arrested militarily in the north-east by the Kanuri of Bornu, and in the south-west by the Yoruba; while in the south-east, impenetrable terrain barred the Fulani-mounted cavalry.

The balance of power changed in character, intensity and scope when the British metropolitan powers disturbed the local balancing system and imposed an Hausa-Fulani hegemony on the remaining nationalities.

(1) (Reply)

Premium Times Train Trip Kano– Lagos (the Return) / Why The Hatred On Igbos? / Nigerians Spent Millions On Parties but 200,000 School Fee Is A Problem -Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.