Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

How Do I Comfort Him? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do I Comfort Him? (7276 Views)

The Lecturer And Comfort .... / She Is Too Beautiful For My Comfort! / My Fiancee Is Too Attractive For Comfort (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Comfort Him? by nous(f): 8:57am On Jan 20, 2012
my very brilliant boyfriend (first class) just failed a professional exam. He is totally shattered now cos he wasnt expecting to fail. As a matter of fact we were expecting him to win a prize as usual (he always wins academic prizes).
He is also sad that he is a disappointment to those who look up to him.
He has refused to contest the result maybe due to fear of victimization.
How do I comfort him and tell him to throw this experience into the past?
I want my baby back!
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Acidosis(m): 9:10am On Jan 20, 2012
tell him to go and hunt for money instead of crying like a baby over an exam. . .
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by lolaluv1(f): 9:24am On Jan 20, 2012
He'll get over it. Just show him support and care in the mean time.
He should soon realize that's how life rolls and you don't always get what you want or what you think you deserve.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Dyt(f): 9:43am On Jan 20, 2012
^ she s spoken
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by IbroSaunks(m): 11:23am On Jan 20, 2012
I know the feeling, when one feels like they've let people down. but we all have to fail at one time, what was he expecting? these days I like to look at it from an angle I deem somewhat funny (to me that is), I tell myself "if one lives his life always succeeding, impressing, never f'ing up, one day when he's old, he would look back and discover how boring his life has been"! and I guess we all have to fail once in a while to remember how good it feels to win!
tell him it's just one of lifes trials, and he needs to stage a comeback!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by pendo89(f): 11:26am On Jan 20, 2012
IbroSaunks:

I know the feeling, when one feels like they've let people down. but we all have to fail at one time, what was he expecting? these days I like to look at it from an angle I deem somewhat funny (to me that is), I tell myself "if one lives his life always succeeding, impressing, never f'ing up, one day when he's  old, he would look back and discover how boring his life has been"! and[b] I guess we all have to fail once in a while to remember how good it feels to win![/b]

i love that
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Sijo01(f): 11:30am On Jan 20, 2012
He failed due 2over confident!

He will get over rit, its jst a mara of time.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by tpia5: 11:31am On Jan 20, 2012
Op this isnt about you wanting your baby back. Its about him.

He should retake the exam- end of.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by tpia5: 11:33am On Jan 20, 2012
And he can try using a different venue.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 20, 2012
1. He needs to stop associating his goals with other people's expectation of him.

2. Perhaps, he was too overconfident and didn't prepare well for the exam. You said he's "brilliant," "he wasn't expecting to fail" and you (his friends and family, I assume) "were expecting him to win a prize as usual." He could've gone in thinking he would ace the exam without giving 100% into the preparation. Something must've gone wrong for him to fail. If he had prepared well, he should not have failed. Just a thought.

3. Just because he failed once does not make him a failure. This was his first time failing. Even if he has failed a couple of times, he would still not be a failure. Many of the great inventions in history were not accomplished on first attempt. He should retake the test. It is not the end. A real winner is someone who has failed and still does not give up. He should not be discouraged and should try again.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by kpolli(m): 12:41pm On Jan 20, 2012
nous:

my very brilliant boyfriend (first class) just failed a professional exam. He is totally shattered now cos he wasnt expecting to fail. As a matter of fact we were expecting him to win a prize as usual (he always wins academic prizes).
He is also sad that he is a disappointment to those who look up to him.
He has refused to contest the result maybe due to fear of victimization.
How do I comfort him and tell him to throw this experience into the past?
I want my baby back!

He is no more in Private uni naaaa, he isn't ready for the real world. . . . If u no read, u go FAIL!!!!!
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by freecocoa(f): 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2012
OP tell your boyfriend to relax jare,even the greatest scientists failed so he's not the first to fail an exam, I bin fail my nursery 1 exam too.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by feminineA: 1:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
Be supportive more than ever before,encourage him to conquer his fear and be there for him.u can even take it upon urself to follow him to his lesson once in a while n also do a bit of topic brush up together. Anytime he wants to b -ve remind him that fallin isn't failure bt remainin there is failure. And remind him of his past feats. With that u re buildin ur relationship wit him as well as helpin him overcome his present challenges.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by queensmith: 1:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
awww

for one he's an overacheiver so only God knows how he's gonna feel. Demand he contests the reqsults to swell his head small and indicate that your sure the exam board have made a mistake.

you'll get him back he just needs to get over it, and being a man that will take time.

At least he has you there to care for him smiley
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Tosinville(m): 1:41pm On Jan 20, 2012
It aint OK to date a girl who just don't know how to console a man, check my address on here to see that quote.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2012
IbroSaunks:

I know the feeling, when one feels like they've let people down. but we all have to fail at one time, what was he expecting? these days I like to look at it from an angle I deem somewhat funny (to me that is), I tell myself "if one lives his life always succeeding, impressing, never f'ing up, one day when he's old, he would look back and discover how boring his life has been"! and I guess we all have to fail once in a while to remember how good it feels to win!
edit, then copy/paste dis on his facebook wall, case closed!
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by nous(f): 4:56pm On Jan 20, 2012
He is no more in Private uni naaaa, he isn't
ready for the real world. . . . If u no read, u
go FAIL!!!!!
@kpolli: I dont remember writing anywhere that he attended a private university. He went to a polytechnic and graduated with a distinction before proceeding to the university through direct entry. He graduated as the best student in his department.
He reads to a point that almost affects our relationship.
I am sure you are one of those people who beef private university graduate not because you dont wish to attend a private university but because you cant afford it even in your dream. My word to you today: dont worry, God will provide, ie go beta.

@ every other person: thank you for your advice. He is begining to brighten up.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Mynd44: 9:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
I guess you would not be needing my advice then
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by blank(f): 10:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
ICAN is not child's play. You cannot approach it the way you approach university work. That is why a lot of first class students fail.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Mynd44: 10:33pm On Jan 20, 2012
I don't think anyone mentioned ICAN here na
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by ronkebp(f): 10:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
He will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 21, 2012
dnt be deceived d guy was never brilliant,
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Mynd44: 7:56am On Jan 21, 2012
^^^
Are you trying to say he bribed his way through school?
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 21, 2012
exactly,
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Idowuogbo(f): 8:22am On Jan 21, 2012
Na wa o wetin I no go read for nl,poster tell ur bofy to chillax joo over-confident dey run belle.He went in feeling like Fadeyi oloro and he came out with pangolo,listen all u can do is comfort him and encourage himto try again.Tell him to bear in mind "Deres no finality to ability and no end to success.Goodluck!!!!
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by tashanja(m): 9:41am On Jan 21, 2012
OP: Just give him a little more punny and he'll be right as rain grin
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Mynd44: 9:44am On Jan 21, 2012
hornipipe:

exactly,
Na you talk am ooo
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-850424.0.html

lol @ sexkillz

forget how to use the "modify" button bro? lipsrsealed grin
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by blank(f): 11:37pm On Jan 21, 2012
It is ICAN na. She said professional exam and ICAN result just came out yesterday.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by Mynd44: 1:40pm On Jan 22, 2012
But she did not mentioned ICAN so lets leave it there
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by dabrake(m): 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2012
@op, if it's an exam of ORACLE/Java's callibre, then your boy isn't as intelligent as you think. I fit throway face if na CISCO. Well, i'm just kidding. Just let him know that failure presents one with the opportunity to begin afresh more intelligently.
Re: How Do I Comfort Him? by KateSpade(f): 3:40pm On Jan 22, 2012
Been there before. (Last year actually)
It was difficult. I just tried to remain upbeat and strong and made sure he had the necessary time and tried to plan things to do together that would lift his spirits. The motivation and drive have to come from him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Valentine And Love / 7 Ways Of Winning A Girls Heart / What Is So Special In Marrying A Virgin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.