Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Information: Travelling To Ghana - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Information: Travelling To Ghana (5449 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 / Traveling To Ghana Via Abc Transport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2012
dear nairalands, i would be travelling to ghana in two months time for about 4days at d most, dis would be my first time travelling abroad and i would apprecizte information as regarding, immigration at d airport (i hav a new ecowas passport), finance issues (do i go wit us dollars cash in hand or atm), cost of average hotels in accra and and any other impt info, btw, wot r d call rates if i decide to use my naija registerec glo simcard on d glo ntwk in ghana?

Would really appreciate info frm any nairalander who has been thru same,
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by SirKay3(m): 5:23pm On Jan 20, 2012
@ fsb,

No worries about your new Ecowas passport for your trip to Ghana, as it's acceptable. You may wish to take along with you some dollars, depending on your choice or if you have Gtb ATM card, go with it, it works on Ghana Commercial Bank ATMs (I'l advise you take dollars along with you, because ATM could mess you up anytime). Make sure you change your dollars to cedis at the baggage area of the arrival hall at Kotoka International Airport, so that there'l be some cedis on you before going out of the arrival hall. Average hotels in Accra is $60 - any amount depending on your taste. There are hotels that charges less than that and in Cedis. Glo is likely to be in operation by the time of your trip, but call rates are cheaper on most of the GSM networks than in Naija. I live in Ghana, feel free to ask for further information anytime.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 5:37pm On Jan 20, 2012
thanks a lot for ur reply, i read about immigration extortion for new ecowas passport but i'm not sure if dat happens at d airport, or not. Just didnt want any surprises since i'll b travellin on a budget,
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by SirKay3(m): 6:19pm On Jan 20, 2012
I'm not too sure about that in respect of new passports, but prepare your mind for the immigration people at MMAI.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by Sodah(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
Hey Guy! I dey hear say work dey Ghana! I wnt travel der nd i nid U pple 2help ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ out wit infor on Ђδω 2go nd wat 2do! Plz nd any help for wwhere 2stay if any1 frm Ghana I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ d building plz help! I hve ,•̸ϞƔ BSC I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Admin
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 10:32pm On Jan 20, 2012
@sodah if u need information on jobs in ghana, why dont you open a new thread or search d forum as a whole. It is utterly rude and improper to post your request here, the thread would help others who need help with repect to the topic of the thread, this thread is not in anyway related to the ease of getring a job in ghana or elsewhere,
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 10:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
@sir kay thanks a lot for the information. Wld be glad if any other nairalanders would share their experience with immigration officers @ mmai enroute ghana using a virgin ecowas passport, tnx
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fateavon4u(f): 11:22am On Jan 22, 2012
Fsb,since u r on a budget,y nt try going by road?, i dnt no whc is cheaper bt i thnk u shld try both sides.goodluck!!!
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 11:41am On Jan 22, 2012
@fateavon4u u're right but the thing i'm guessing that wit fuel @ 100/ltr, a return ticket by luxurious bus eg. ABC might b close to 20k for a trip that is around 10hrs by road comparec to 30k for a return ticket by aero (low fare price) for a 1hr flight, Do u knw anytin as regards airport immigration, do i hav to pay money either @ mmai or ghana airport for entry/exit ?
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2012
OP, prepare to answer plenty question at the MMIA from immigration, like what you going to do, invitation letter, where you work, how much money you carry etc.

For payment of money, almost each check point will ask you to drop something, up to the checkpoint where you even board the flight.

Some while searching your bag, they see money there, they will beg you.

Just know you are not required to give money. Me, i don even shake body for them.

all the best
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 12:37pm On Jan 22, 2012
lmao @ the hw much money u carry? Nawa o,
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by SirKay3(m): 12:43pm On Jan 22, 2012
@ fsb,

You are not expected to pay any dime whether at MMIA or Kotoka International Airport because of your virgin passport. The worst is for the MMIA immigration, customs and NDLEA guys to ask you for money, not bribe or because of your passport, but it's a norm with them. NDLEA/Customs people are the one that asks about where you work, how much do you have with you and what you are going to do, answer them politely. Nobody holds anyone for not giving anybody money. I've never given them money since 2009 that I went with my wife and kids (all of them virgin passports) till now that I'm a frequent flyer on Lagos - Accra - Lagos route. Dont go by road, because it's a long journey of about 12hrs, while it's 45mins at most by air. Dont be afraid of anything. You can go with up to $3000.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 12:57pm On Jan 22, 2012
@Sir kay, thanks so much for d info, will follow all d advise,
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by abmart: 5:56pm On Jan 25, 2012
@ Sir Kay, please I will really appreciate your information on some questions I want to ask you cause I am planning of relocating to Ghana and I need some information about the place before I make up my mind, please do send me your email so that I can contact you, mine is abmartconsult@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by eghost247(m): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2012
Have your ecowas passport with you some money its just neighboring country Ghana no big deal
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2012
Sir Kay: @ fsb,

You are not expected to pay any dime whether at MMIA or Kotoka International Airport because of your virgin passport. The worst is for the MMIA immigration, customs and NDLEA guys to ask you for money, not bribe or because of your passport, but it's a norm with them. NDLEA/Customs people are the one that asks about where you work, how much do you have with you and what you are going to do, answer them politely. Nobody holds anyone for not giving anybody money. I've never given them money since 2009 that I went with my wife and kids (all of them virgin passports) till now that I'm a frequent flyer on Lagos - Accra - Lagos route. Dont go by road, because it's a long journey of about 12hrs, while it's 45mins at most by air. Dont be afraid of anything. You can go with up to $3000.

Dear Sir Kay, I was just going through my profile and remembered this post. Thanks for all d helpful advice.

1. I traveled to Ghana back in March 2012 and went by ABC transport (got a return ticket for under 20,000naira)
2. I guess the first-timers sight-seeing made me lose track of time. We left Lagos terminal around 8am and got into Accra terminal at night (probably a little after 8pm)
3. I stayed at Ampax Hotel (they actually sent someone to come to ABC terminal to pick me up to the hotel since I didn't know my way around town even though I paid the cab fare of about 5GHC)
4. The hotel was really budget (30USD/Night) but it suited my purpose for the couple of days I intended to be in Ghana (got into Ghana on a Saturday and left the very next Tuesday).
5. Zenith Bank really made my stay very hassle free. The only exchange I needed to do was at the ghananian border (to get an MTN sim pack and small change). I was able to use my ATM card directly to withdraw money from my Naira account.
6. Trip back to Nigeria was great until we got back into Nigeria. The hopelessness and time wasting began at Seme border and up till we got into ABC terminal. We left around 9am or so and got to ABC terminal at 1am the following day.
7. My general advice is if you are not pressed for time or cash, just go to Ghana by Air. You'll save yourself the hassle.

Thankfully, I passed the exams I went for.

1 Like

Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 26, 2012
Hi I am travelling to Ghana by air. The posts here are good and useful. Just checking, I am informed that I need the Yellow Fever Card.
I have one though, it was gotten in January 2010. Please, can anyone advice if this card is still valid?
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 7:44am On Nov 28, 2012
I am not sure of going by air but no one asked for a yellow card during my trip. My advice though would be to get a recent one for your trip to avoid any undue embarrasment by our agencies at d airport
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by sunboy(m): 8:26am On Nov 28, 2012
@ fsb; there is need for yellow card. ABC always charge extra 1k for first timer and 1k if you do not have yellow card, you may not know bt ABC scale you thru. That's one reason why I enjoyedd my trip to Ghana wit dem back in 2010, no custom troubles.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by gabmid(f): 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2012
[quote author=fsb]@fateavon4u u're right but the thing i'm guessing that wit fuel @ 100/ltr, a return ticket by luxurious bus eg. ABC might b close to 20k for a trip that is around 10hrs by road comparec to 30k for a return ticket by aero (low fare price) for a 1hr flight, Do u knw anytin as regards airport immigration, do i hav to pay money either @ mmai or ghana airport for entry/exit ?

ABC is about 9k even cross country, but u'll pay for vigin ppt n stamp, u can't spend more dan 10k for oneway return is cheaper.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by fsb(m): 5:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
sunboy: @ fsb; there is need for yellow card. ABC always charge extra 1k for first timer and 1k if you do not have yellow card, you may not know bt ABC scale you thru. That's one reason why I enjoyedd my trip to Ghana wit dem back in 2010, no custom troubles.

nice one as regards d yellow card. i went to the ABC terminal in lagos wit my virgin passport and my yellow card so I ended up paying just 1k or so...i dont really remember.

Its better to have one since getting one is quite easy...
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by Ladipodeal: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2012
Hi all,
Is it possible to travel to ghana without an International passport. Plan travelling by road this December.
Re: Information: Travelling To Ghana by gabmid(f): 12:10pm On Nov 30, 2012
Ladipodeal: Hi all,
Is it possible to travel to ghana without an International passport. Plan travelling by road this December.

Yes u can travel to ghana without an international passport but u need at least driver's license n u pay like 2k extra for custom check.

(1) (Reply)

Whats Best To Export/import From Nigeria To China / Nigerians Living In South Korea / What About Qatar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.