Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? (17803 Views)

Twin Bomb Blast At Phase One Jummat Mosque, Damaturu, Yobe State / Gunmen Kill Ten Soldiers In Damaturu, Yobe State / Bomb Blasts And Gunfire In Damaturu, Yobe State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by noskeybaba: 9:03am On Jan 22, 2012
Are there still churches in
damaturu? I thought they've
finished torching them or are
they re-torching previously
torched ones

grin grin grin Re-torching
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Korrection(m): 9:19am On Jan 22, 2012
@babuji, i have been reading comments, now you have received attacks, talk again na, mchteeewww, its not easy to bring people together , nevermind one day your 4 yr old son will rise against you, mark my words
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by ossaisly(m): 9:24am On Jan 22, 2012
It is all over BB pinging that those states are really under attack. Henceforth, GEJ is becoming to loose my support for him. Can't his instinct tell him that he needs to overhaul all the security agencies? Imagine the type of attacks happening on a daily bases, yet he  keeps repeating same speech that he would bring perpetrators to book. MADNESS!!!
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Finland(m): 9:32am On Jan 22, 2012
Why are these not on any news mchew! bunch of rumour mongers grin
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 22, 2012
Can't GEJ convene a meeting of all the emirs in the north while warning them that the next bomb that goes off in your territory will automatically depose you as an emir.
I bet you no emir will allow any bomb go off after this warning.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by bodejohn(m): 9:44am On Jan 22, 2012
Just like the old folklore song, there is fire on the mountain, until the issues and problems in this nation get to the top, there will be no mass action by Nigerians and concern by the government.
For those asking Nigerians to support GEJ by giving him suggestions, I hope you have not forgotten that the first job he has is to provide security for all the citizens irrespective of which tribe they are from and where they choose to live and for this he eats with a Billion and other fat allowances and also has a retinue of advisers and ministers who are also paid Billions annually.
But also, all the advise he needs are already on paper, written in our constitution and by other committees of eminent Nigerians. How about our president ensuring the institutionalisation of true federalism in this country? Let's see if a governor who just wakes up and go to Abuja to collect is own share of the national cake will not wake up and work if the cake is been managed by those who baked it.
In as much as there is no magic wand that will make all our problems disappear, GEJ is got to start taking bold steps to stamp out insecurity, corruption and ensure good governance but as it stands even if he is doing this with all his spirit and mind, little if not nothing is seen by true Nigerians.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Rich4god(m): 9:48am On Jan 22, 2012
Most times, i do imagine where and how are these guys getting their combat training from, I knw i may sound funny, but if our security forces are understaffed or can't do the job anymore, the FG shld seek for foreign help with the exception of U.S, British and Israel.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by solihu(m): 10:24am On Jan 22, 2012
@fynweka, you mean to say the emirs should assume the duties of CP undecided Just as the C-in-C has asked the citizenry to turn to God in prayers embarassed. cry
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by humblebee: 12:19pm On Jan 22, 2012
BlackBaron:

Alright, thanks.
Pity, we get news like this from NL [b]first [/b]rather than media houses.  

No reporter wants to get killed like the Channels guy, if i had a sibling journalist. I'll also advice same cos these BH guyz are animals
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by aurenflani: 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2012
A DRIVER JUMPED PETROL LINE & SOLDIERS FIRED SHORTS IN D AIR FRIGHTENING HIM. driver zoomed off and escaped with d soldiers behind him. but he escaped. d resultant commotion by d ppl was as a result of d gun shorts to d air. DAT WAS ALL DAT HAD HAPPENED NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by babuji(f): 12:43pm On Jan 22, 2012
realborn:

@iv4fb,
D point is clear. GEJ has not exuded signs of control. Lives are lost daily in this country due to Govt's ineptitude. Suspects disappear in custody. Sponsors are granted unconditional bail. Security foot soldiers are being killed daily. Churches are being razed. Yesterday Kano, Today Bauchi and Yobe. Corruption and embezzlement deep in FGN. Poor economic policies backed by elementary reasons are spewed daily. Ministers are paper qualified with no clue of governance, parading themsleves like rats. Ministers denying involvement in policies right under the president's nose, shows total disrespect for ur hard hat president. No one gets punished. How many more will die? If my perception is right, BH requires only 36 days to burn Nigeria down. Let govermrnt continue in its stride of poor action. Keep watching. Perhaps the infamous office you have sought so much respect for may end up not existing afterall. With this crop of leaders, only God can save thiscountry. The worst ever. A word is enough for the wise.

Thank you Realborn, you have said it all

@figment and Korrection, i am sure you think there is a medal for who can insult and curse most on nairaland. I won't bother replying your insults because it won't bring back the dead nor stop the wanton loss of life. The truth of the nigerian situation is as plain as day for all those that want to see it. Like Realborn says "at this rate BH requires only 36 days to burn nigeria down" May God help us all
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by elampiro(m): 1:08pm On Jan 22, 2012
I beg people should stop insulting our President. Let's pray for him instead for God to grant him wisdom in this time of tumoil.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by figment232(m): 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2012
@babuji

i challenge u to profer just one suggestion that wud solve this boko haram menace.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Concept(m): 2:06pm On Jan 22, 2012
My prayer is that everyone defending the imcompetence of the puppet they are calling president see the effect of BH & I will like you to come here & continue with your illogical argument. Should you be blinded or clouded by sentiment just because you are a beneficiary of this government, may be ethnic alliance, political apologist whatsoever. Nigeria has not been this bad. I said it before election that this man is weak, we all know what happened when Turai decided to be president. This same Nigeria, we witnessed VP slugged it out with his boss(Atiku/OBJ) though these are two tough men & eventually someone won. A tough man is not about position is about disposition, a senior labourer with leadership qualities will surely command respect among his peers. Please if you want to hear, Mr. President is the cause of this problem because he acknowleged the fact that BH are present in his Government, this shows he has some information but due to some reasons best known to him, he cannot just take action to arrest the situation. The ultimatum given to IGP lapses, Kabiru Sokoto still at large 24hrs after Ringim still stand as the IGP. Nobody takes your highly exalted president serious. Please spare me some breathing space, you just talk from your mouth, God has designed everybody to achieve that, those that talk with reasoning are better heard.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by babuji(f): 2:10pm On Jan 22, 2012
Boko Haram: An Existential Threat to the Nigerian Nation By Malcolm Fabiyi, PhD

Nigeria has faced four existential threats since it became an independent nation on October 1, 1960. In the context of the Nigerian state, an existential threat is a crisis, event, or tendency which has the potential for bringing about the end of the nation, as we know it. They are as follows:
The nigerian civil war
June 12 crisisC
Niger delta struggle
Boko haram

The threat of Boko Haram is a different story. It is a threat like non other that Nigeria has ever experienced. It is both a sectarian and ethnic conflict. Unlike ethnic and sectarian conflicts in the past, the anonymity of the perpetrators has been shed. Their agenda, vile as it might seem, has been articulated. Prosecuting the security war against Boko Haram will require a paradigm shift in the way security is conceived in Nigeria. It will require a reassessment of the political environment and what is permissible in that sphere. Addressing the Boko Haram menace will require a level of openness from our government that has never been demanded of any government before. Four steps will be required for finding an effective solution to the Boko Haram crisis.

Rethinking Security: Solving the Boko Haram menace is not a Law Enforcement issue, it is an intelligence issue. In the past, fundamentalists and zealots could be tagged. They belonged to sects that could be called by a name. They had leaders that could be tracked and incapacitated or imprisoned. They established enclaves and centralized structures that could be broken down by heavy handed military actions. Boko Haram is not a sect. It is a movement, a tendency. Its sympathizers range from political thugs to fanatical zealots, its ranks include UK based graduate students and jobless street kids, successful businessmen and sitting Senators in the Nigerian National Assembly. Boko Haram has no headquarters, no known place of doing business. It has no central leader or authority, working instead like some decentralized franchise operation. It was once funded by politicians, but Boko Haram has since turned to raiding Banks to raise funds and has since found friends in foreign lands willing to fund its war against Nigeria. Law enforcement actions such as sweeping raids, and emergency laws, presume the law breaker has a desire to survive, escape detection and is desperate to stay alive. None of those assumptions hold with Boko Haram. The actions of this group has introduced the word “suicide Bomber” into the Nigerian lexicon. How do you implement “law enforcement” against a group that seeks death? More disturbingly, groups like Al Qaeda have become involved in the crisis, and the methods with which Boko Haram will coordinate their campaign of terror will rely on tactics honed against the most powerful intelligence and military services in the World in theaters like Afghanistan, Somalia and Iraq. A new security strategy, built on intelligence and not demonstration of brute force is required.

The Thrust of Political Engagement: The first issue that needs resolution is whether or not Boko Haram is the northern equivalent of MEND. To believe that Boko Haram can be resolved with MEND style tactics – negotiation with the leadership of the militant group, rapprochement with the political elites that enable the militants and articulate their cause, and amnesty for the combatants; one must believe there is an equivalence in their world views. MEND wanted fairness in resource administration. Boko Haram seeks an end to “Western Education” and the vacation of the North by Southerners and Non-muslims. MEND made clear that it had no issues with the Nigeria people, only its government; Boko Haram has stated that it has a grouse both with the Nigerian government and its Southern & Christian people. Unless the Government is ready to compromise on the rights of its people to live freely in the Nation and to practice their faith without hindrance, a political rapprochement seems unlikely. The government perhaps believes that Boko Haram is still under the control of politicians who are masterminding the crisis to thrust themselves into relevance.  That viewpoint implies that the governments would believe that the real pacification that is necessary is to come to terms with the political elite in the usual manner – provide them access to the national treasury via contracts and appointments. While it is true that politicians were involved in the birth of Boko Haram in Borno State, it appears that at some point in the last couple of years a transformation has occurred that has unhinged the ties between the two.  

Openness in Government: The beginning of the end for Nigeria will come if (i) believing that the Government is incapable of offering protection to them Christians and Southerners in the North, (and perhaps Northerners in the South) begin to form vigilante groups and (ii) such groups begin to systematically enforce retributive justice in their spheres of influence if a perceived injustice is done to their kith and kin in other parts of the country, or engage frontally with other groups they perceive as threatening their collective security in areas of crisis. The government must be transparent with the Nigerian people and admit that it is well over its head, and will require some help. It is a rare government that squares with its people; however, if Nigeria is to survive this crisis, the Nigerian government must become more open about its shortcomings. If the government claims things are under control and deaths and casualties continue to mount, then the people will be forced to conclude that the government is able to, but simply does not wish to protect them, thereby justifying any eventual recourse to self-help through vigilante and militia action. This is how the conflicts in Liberia, Somalia, Sierra Leone, and Rwanda began.

Engaging the Nigerian People: So far, most of the major arrests in connection to Boko Haram have been aided by freely given, unsolicited tips from Nigerians. The Nigerian people love their nation, but their government must fess up to its ineptitude and request their help. The government must actively recruit the Nigerian people as part of its intelligence gathering effort. Mass enlightenment programs to educate people on what to look out for in identifying possible terrorist activity should be provided to the people. Whether or not Nigerians will be receptive to this clarion call is a different issue. A people must trust that the government that they will freely offer services to, services which by the way could lead to their identification as traitors and possible death – would probably be inclined to do so only if that Government had shown itself deserving of their support. A government that raises fuel prices in the midst of a global recession, stifles its people’s rights to freely express themselves and ignores the corruption that cripples the nation hardly deserves any support. If Nigerians respond to this call, it will be despite, not because of their government.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by honsule(m): 8:21pm On Jan 22, 2012
people like carrying unconfirmed rumours about.A friend of mine called yesterday to ask what is happening in Damaturu,that churches are being burnt,etc.I told her Damaturu is calm. Just for d record,there are still churches in Damaturu.The church service in RCCG;Goshen Parish,in New Jerusalem today was awesome.The gate of Hell shall not prevail.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by Tyche(m): 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2012
honsule:

people like carrying unconfirmed rumours about.A friend of mine called yesterday to ask what is happening in Damaturu,that churches are being burnt,etc.I told her Damaturu is calm. Just for d record,there are still churches in Damaturu.The church service in RCCG;Goshen Parish,in New Jerusalem today was awesome.The gate of Hell shall not prevail.

Thank you my brother, one wonders what they hope to achieve with this.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by sovpounds(m): 1:36am On Jan 23, 2012
elampiro:

I beg people should stop insulting our President. Let's pray for him instead for God to grant him wisdom in this time of tumoil.

1 Timothy 2:1-2.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by NegroNtns(m): 2:11am On Jan 23, 2012
Can't GEJ convene a meeting of all the emirs in the north while warning them that the next bomb that goes off in your territory will [b]automatically depose you as an emir.[/b]I bet you no emir will allow any bomb go off after this warning.

thats going from frying pan to fire when he starts fiddling with their cultural institutions.
Re: Damaturu, Yobe On Fire? by BItt: 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2023
grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Epic Photo From Nigeria Army Depot Zaria, Military Drill / Tinubu Waves At Supporters Ahead Kano State Mega Rally / “Niger Bridge May Collapse Sooner Than Envisaged”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.