Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43352 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 1:56pm On Jan 31, 2012
Na wa o, poor Nkiru. Abeg free the girl she is an ok actress sometimes.  tongue

Good Girl:

Wow! I love this thread. Now, first things first.

Chimamanda in her book describes Olanna as a woman with some curves, the kind Richard's ex-girlfriend (the English lady) would refer to as her possessing "the African figure". In my mind, she probably had a shape like Gabrielle Union; kinda curvy, not really fat, but not pencil-thin either. She was also described as brown in colour unlike her sister Kainene and her mother (nicknamed "Art"wink who were both clearly described as ebony-skinned. I would say she was probably something like Chioma Chukwuka's shade or D'banj's or even Chimamanda Ngozi's skin tone. Something between cocoa-brown and mahogany. But for them to pick Thandie to play Olanna is the 2012 joke of the year. On the other hand, she could perfectly play the role of the Asaba lady who Olanna suspected slept with Odenigbo, as she was described as extremely light-skinned (almost pale) and very slender. But for her to portray Olanna? No!

Someone mentioned that Genevieve would play Kainene and I beg to differ. Yes, Genevieve would perfectly interpret Kainene's aloof character but I remember her being described as a tall, br[i]e[/i]astless, dark-skinned girl who wasn't exactly as pretty as Olanna. That's why Olanna was portrayed as "the beautiful sister". Genevieve on the other hand is GORGEOUS. She cannot play the role of the less pretty sister. She is also not tall.

Am assuming that Chiwetel Ejiofor will be playing the role of Odenigbo, Olanna's lover/later husband. Odenigbo was described as a very dark man with lots of hair on his body and not at all attractive, but confident and intelligent. Chiwetel is not dark in the African sense (the way Chimamanda descibed it in her book). Odenigbo was also portrayed as very unattractive, while Chiwetel is manageable (for lack of a better word). Other than that, Olanna always seemed taller than him when on heels. I get the impression that he wasn't such a tall man. Chiwetel is 5'10" tall. Odenigbo may have been 5'5" tall.

Patience Ozokwor would perfectly play the role of Odenigbo's mother. I could just see her while reading the book.  smiley

I think Chimamanda herself should be consulted because only she is able to accurately point out what she wanted portrayed in her book, but whichever way we look at it, Thandie is the worst choice ever!

I can think of no one else that can play Kainene better than Genevieve. With the right make-up/outlook Genevieve can be dressed down to the point of being thought of as "attractive" (like Kainene) but not gorgeous. Genevieve is known for having a pretty face but a thin body as well. She can lose more weight if it calls for it.

I can see Chiwetel playing Odenigbo if he gains 20-30 pounds and is given a darker skin coloring.

But as I said this is a British Flick for a British/Western audience which will deviate in many ways than one from the book. We all have our ideas but I'm not sure that it will make a difference in the grande scheme of things.

People are mentioning films like "City of God" and "Slum Dog Millionaire" without realizing that the ideas and execution of those films were favored by the movie producers themselves. Movie producer no like = forget about it.

Anyway, African "hollywood" films haven't exactly been authentic. Western audiences don't know much about Africa and thus cannot tell if the African accents or portrayal suck so producers couldn't care less as long as they use familiar "black" hollywood faces and call it a day. Latin and Indian people have a more visible culture and I cannot see movies getting away with this as much. They can, but not really.

Nollywood should step up, IMO, so that people would stop looking to Oyibo produced movies for validation.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 2:12pm On Jan 31, 2012
If Sophie Okonedo is in this then I don't think Thandie will play olanna.

She always plays the somewhat "off" personality so they'll chuck her in as Kainene while Okonedo will play Olanna.

LMAO I think this movie will be horrible. Like "Beloved" with Oprah or something.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by zodosohio: 2:21pm On Jan 31, 2012
this film remember is international standard,we should not be sentimental.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by klear(f): 2:29pm On Jan 31, 2012
I cant wait to watch d movie, d book was awesome & I know d cast involved will do justice 2 d movie. I know a lot of feathers r ruffled cos of Thandie been chosen 2 play d part of an Igbo woman  grin lets tell our selves d truth, if Nigeria has such fantastic women that foots d bill, d part would have gone 2 her, dis a wake up call, Nollywood is simply not in the same league with Hollywood or any movie associated with it. Leave d babe 2 make her movie an international one worthy of an Oscar award & not a "it might have been BT it is not good enough movie"
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Parnassuss(m): 2:43pm On Jan 31, 2012
Thandie is OVERRATED to such a degree I cannot begin to describe it. As for the book, I never could bring myself to read it. It was too boring in the beginning
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2012
The simple matter is that you cannot make an adaptation of a book without the consent of the writer. If Adichie said she wanted nothing to do with the movie, that is all. If she really cared about who played who, she coulda made a stand. She's forfeited her rights. It's that simple. Probably she was compensated handsomely. Or perhaps the simple fact that her book will be made a movie is good enough for her. Whether you're a small time writer or a big shot means nothing. Your rights are your rights. When Chinua Achebe turned down money for the buffoon 50Cent to deface the title of his book, Things Fall Apart, I was so proud. And we, NIGERIANS did adapt the book into a very good series when our resources was not as much as it is now. We did something. Now our movie industry have stopped selling us religious garbage and now it's sexual noonsense that's the new gig. That's the problem, not whether person dey light or black. Chimamanda sold out. And so did we. I really don't get what the shrieking and hullabaloo is all about. There's indeed great talent in Nigeria. Most of us dunno about them cuz they will mostly want nothing to do with the celebration of mediocrity that is Nollywood. We'll see whether everything will not go ahead as planned, petition or no petition.

Omar22 and Texasppete have been hitting the nail on the head since, I'm surprised the nail is not dead yet.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Okijajuju1(m): 3:22pm On Jan 31, 2012
This thread is another thread born out of "Igbos" having this over bloated feeling of entitlement.

The movie may be based on a book, but the financing is being done by non-nigerians. Genevieve is not a world class actress. Even english sef dey hard her to speak. Abi you think say na by their fake butta accent?!

What this movie needs is professionalism. They have chosen their cast, prolly their set now lets wait for the final movie.

The next thing now, some other person would call Ndigbo faggo'ts because the set of the movie is not in Igboland.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 3:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
When Chinua Achebe turned down money for the buffoon 50Cent to deface the title of his book, Things Fall Apart, I was so proud. And we, NIGERIANS did adapt the book into a very good series when our resources was not as much as it is now. We did something. Now our movie industry have stopped selling us religious garbage and now it's intimate noonsense that's the new gig. That's the problem, not whether person dey light or black. Chimamanda sold out. And so did we. I really don't get what the shrieking and hullabaloo is all about. There's indeed great talent in Nigeria. Most of us dunno about them cuz they will mostly want nothing to do with the celebration of mediocrity that is Nollywood.

True true true!!!!

BUT?

Yes more grace to Chinua Achebe for declining 50Cents, but 5) did the decent thing which was asking for permission to use the title. These are one of the reasons no one takes Nollywood too serious! E.g Genevieve’s movie Sharon Stone of Abuja, do you think they seek permission to use the Hollywood’s actress’s name? Blackberry babe! Desperate housewives is a registered name but we have a Nollywood version.

Do you think they got permission to use the name of the device in a movie! Even a common football video game had to seek permission to use the name of a club let alone the name of the player.
I could see why the western world wouldn’t touch Nollywood with a barge pole.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 4:43pm On Jan 31, 2012
tpia@:

i can imagine cheesy

i saw a clip once of ramsey noah in what was supposed to be a love scene.

the bed was moving and that's about it.

two logs of wood were somewhere on top of it, but i cant say for sure if they were moving the bed or the bed was moving them.

anyway, nothing spoil.

hollywood is there to spice up that angle.
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Jeedus! That's hilarious!!!

I don't even bother watching Naija love scenes, I fast forward through that crap. The way they kiss is enough to turn you off kissing forever. Ayanma!!

I say forget the usual abstinence lectures, just play an hour of Nollywood Love Scenes to teenagers and all of them will take up a vow of abstinence in no time.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2012
omar22:

J. K. Rowling has the financial muscle to fund all the series the Nigerian Author is not in the same category. Harry Potter is not a true life story. The main fact here is that Nollywood stars are not up to scratch!!! I could remember watching the "Mirror Boy" Genevieve was the mother of a Gambian boy! tell me if Gene is so GOOD why didnt she speak with a Gambian Ascent? I have watched so many version of Mandela played by Americans with Afrikaans ascent. I have seen Omotola act as a student, wife, house-girl and top official! she acted the same way, she spoke the same way in all  4 roles and its the same for the rest! eyes rolling looking down their nose at people,  [b]am sorry top actresses and actor do not act a role but they become the character of the person they are acting! [/b]Will Smith had to learn how to speak like Muhammed Ali, gain the physique and the swagger and arrogance before he starts shooting not the Crash slam Wallop they churn out in seconds at Nollywood, 

Abso-freaking-lutely! Couldn't agree more!!!

That's why I said I'd rather they have someone who can embody the character than someone who just looks like the character.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 5:01pm On Jan 31, 2012
When you look at when Denzel Washington won the Oscar for the role he played in Training Day! The American’s said the reason why he won was because everyone is waiting to see whether Denzel could step out of his comfort zone and be the bad guy for once!
When you look at Nollywood you see actress acting the role of student then you think! Who writes the script? Who is producing this movie? Its like watching a Hollywood movie with Vivica Fox and Jamie Foxx playing the role of a student….
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tlops(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2012
i generally consider nollywood videos a waste of time, with their part 2,3,4,5 of the same crap.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2012
Did anyone mention Tarij P. Henson?

I think she will be a good fit.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 5:43pm On Jan 31, 2012
omar22:

When you look at when Denzel Washington won the Oscar for the role he played in Training Day! The American’s said the reason why he won was because everyone is waiting to see whether Denzel could step out of his comfort zone and be the bad guy for once!
When you look at Nollywood you see actress acting the role of student then you think! Who writes the script? Who is producing this movie? Its like watching a Hollywood movie with Vivica Fox and Jamie Foxx playing the role of a student….

Duuuuude don't get me started on that!! I'm trying to be good this year when it comes to Nollywood movies.

I used to be an RMD fan. . .I mean big, boderline stalking fan until I saw him playing a teenager. Jeeedus freaking Christo, I threw up in my mouth.

So here's this hugeass man in dungarees, one side hanging loose and a face cap. . .turned to the side , bouncing up and down, whining "But dtadtty! Mooooooom, it's not fair"

Fast forward some 15 years later, he is now in his thirties and the only thing that differentiates this man from his 15 yrs old self is the outfit he is wearing.

Fast forward another 15 to 20 years and he is now an old man. . .you'd expect some wrinkles no? I mean sure, we can forgive the him looking 40 when he is supposed to be 15. . .it is a hard using make up to make someone look younger but older. . .that's gotta be a piece of cake ko? Just splatter loads of makeup on the face, rub it all over, let it dry and viola. . .you have wrinkles. So easy, A 5yrs old can do it. . .well apparently, all 5yrs old in Naija were on strike because all they did was rub white chalk on his hair and put him those long flowing gown old men wear.

You know what was hilarious. . .in the credits they actually had about two or three names under "Makeup Artist' Smh!! embarassed
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2012
WHy would anyone want to use a Nigerian Movie (performer) for a movie that we are hoping would win international awards like the Oscars and Academy?!

Those who know nothing about cinema are making the most noise in this thread. It's embarrassing. Tell the academy why they gave the Oscar to Totsi despite there not being any "oyibo" actor in the cast. Please carry go

Good Girl:

Wow! I love this thread. Now, first things first.

Chimamanda in her book describes Olanna as a woman with some curves, the kind Richard's ex-girlfriend (the English lady) would refer to as her possessing "the African figure". In my mind, she probably had a shape like Gabrielle Union; kinda curvy, not really fat, but not pencil-thin either. She was also described as brown in colour unlike her sister Kainene and her mother (nicknamed "Art"wink who were both clearly described as ebony-skinned.
I think Chimamanda herself should be consulted because only she is able to accurately point out what she wanted portrayed in her book, but whichever way we look at it, Thandie is the worst choice ever!

GoodGirl, thank you for bringing the thread back to track. Like I already stated, those yarnoing dust obviously havent read the book so their opinions mean nothing to me. Maybe in the eyes of these delusional jokes in the thread, ebony is the same as Thandie and maybe Thandie has the "african figure" mentioned in the book. LOL *rollseyes*

Most authors are consulted, I want to know whether Chimamanda is fine with this decision. It being understand some UK production, doesnt mean she shouldnt have a say. If you really believe in your vision, you will fight for it. Same way Alice Walker worked with Steven Spielberg in regards to her version for Color purple. Last I checked Alice wasnt a "billionaire writer" yet she made her stand on what she wanted from Steven in regards to HER book.

why slaveminded Nigerians think that is too much to expect is beyond me and incredibly SAD.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:01pm On Jan 31, 2012
Some people claim it's all about the money and making the Oscars. What about Slumdog Millionaire? It was directed by a foreigner but with the local actors/ actresses. He even used their local dialects for the movie with English subtitles. The movie grossed in a lotta dough and won prestigious awards, no?

What is wrong with using our own people to portray the characters in the book, whether the director be British or American? I believe with good production and direction, the movie would be beyond amazing. Using the Igbo dialect with English subtitles is also not a bad idea.

I'm really not hating on the rumored actor and actresses, but I believe this is a rare opportunity to showcase our people. Yes, Nollywood should have thought of it first instead of being cheap, but hey, they didn't. Still it's a Nigerian setting with Nigerian characters speaking a Nigerian language. I know we have great Nigerian talents out there (some have not been scouted), but most are seen in a bad light due to poor direction and production.

All the OP is saying (and myself included) is if you're going to produce a Nigerian movie, what better actors to use than the indigenes themselves who are already immersed in the culture whether Igbo, Edo, or Delta. I'm not losing sleep about it but Chimamanda should speak up!!

Exactly. Thank You

and yes for mentioning Slumdog which practically SWEPT the Oscars. Majority of those in the movie have never even acted before! It was AFTER Slumdog that Frida Pinto started getting all sorts of attention and endorsements.

Nigerians are ashamed of themselves. It's that simple which is why they want people who have no ties to their country/history to play them.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:07pm On Jan 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

This thread is another thread born out of "Igbos" having this over bloated feeling of entitlement

Um aint nothing Igbo about me, so what are you going on about?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tlops(m): 6:25pm On Jan 31, 2012
na so we go dey cry for another person headache.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 7:06pm On Jan 31, 2012
Exactly. Thank You

and yes for mentioning Slumdog which practically SWEPT the Oscars. Majority of those in the movie have never even acted before! It was AFTER Slumdog that Frida Pinto started getting all sorts of attention and endorsements.

Nigerians are ashamed of themselves. It's that simple which is why they want people who have no ties to their country/history to play them.

ha ha ha

The last time I checked Dev Patel is a London boy acting in English sitcoms

Now lets talk about the Indians they used, we are talking about Bollywood stars or should I say Legends and am not talking about the kids.

The Bottom line is if you want to see the Ini Edo, Tonto and Gene in the Movie then stump up the cash for the movie (Around £15m) if not then shush!!! at the end of the day none of you have the legal right to the story.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 7:09pm On Jan 31, 2012
Karma, I found an actress for you. She's not Igbo but she is Nigerian

Adepero Oduye

Adepero Oduye hails from Brooklyn, New York City by way of Nigeria. She is a graduate of Cornell University; and has studied acting with Wynn Handman, Austin Pendleton, and Susan Batson. Her name is pronounced "Add-eh-pair-o Oh-due-yay."Her theatre credits include Danai Gurira's play Eclipsed, at the Yale Repertory Theatre; The Bluest Eye, at the Hartford Stage and Long Wharf Theatres; and Fela!, in the AEA workshop, directed and choreographed by Bill T. Jones.Ms. Oduye first starred for writer/director Dee Rees as Alike in the award-winning short film Pariah. Among the other shorts that she has starred in are Gabriele Zamparini's Water; Russell Costanzo's The Tested; and Nadiah Hamzah's Sub Rosa.She has made guest appearances on such television programs as Louie and two Law & Order series.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 7:12pm On Jan 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Karma, I found an actress for you. She's not Igbo but she is Nigerian

Adepero Oduye

i would rather have joke silva.

adepero is. . . . .odikwa hideous!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by chika98: 7:14pm On Jan 31, 2012
coogar:

F'ing diessssssss LMFAO! grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 7:19pm On Jan 31, 2012
coogar:

Bwahahahaha! You are soooo wrong! cheesy

She has the "Authentic" african look naa.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 7:22pm On Jan 31, 2012
See fine babe
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:23pm On Jan 31, 2012
Omar prove that everyone in that movie especially the kids are "Bollywood stars"

I will be waiting for your source

and who gives a flying phuck that Dev acted in London? who the hell knew of him?

and what part of Majority of those in the movie havent even acted before did you miss?

For people who beech about Nollywood actors not speaking English, many of you seem to have a problem grasping/understanding this same English

Ill be waiting for your source that these people were "Bollywood stars" DESPITE the fact Danny Boyle found them majority in the slums
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2012
Sisi, considering the story, I dont think a Yoruba should play the part of an Igbo.

Adepero is doing well in her own right though. The fact that Meryl Streep gave her props alone proves that the girl 'don arrive"
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 7:37pm On Jan 31, 2012
She really has arrived. . .she is on the latest issue of Vanity Fair.

She's not that bad looking oh.

I totally get what you are saying. . .but let's expand our search to Nigerians, you know seeing as we are the producers, Directors and Financiers in our own imaginary Studio. cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:02pm On Jan 31, 2012
Im just glad they didnt tamper with her color. That masculine stance however,

anyway I accept it, for now tongue
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2012
I dont know why people are so annoyed because they didnt touch what I refer to as an accident waiting to happen (Nollywood),

Sisi, considering the story, I dont think a Yoruba should play the part of an Igbo.

Wow!!!!! Thank God its a Zimba lady playing the role
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Tolulop001(f): 9:17pm On Jan 31, 2012
tlops:

na so we go dey cry for another person headache.

I tire oh, the way people are getting their knickers all in a bunch over a mere movie, smh
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 9:47pm On Jan 31, 2012
never heard of this adepero before, but she does have an igboid look about her.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos: Most Terrifying Creatures/Characters/Villains In The History Of Movies. / Beatrice: Why I Didn’t Bring Party Clothes To The House / Multichoice Hikes Subscription Prices On DSTV, GOTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.