Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,374 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43335 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by texazzpete(m): 9:37pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Lol I agree but if Olanna is played by Thandie, how can Genevieve be the twin sister? See why there would be a problem? Everyone in that family would have to be as light as Thandie which CONTRADICTS the book completely.

Yes, the choice of complexion will utterly RUIN the movie! Everyone knows the entire book was all about the family complexion!

/Sarcasm
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
A peteition is already up and i signed it.

Now go away ir you have nothing to do to the discussion

Btw the same Thandie had a problem with Angelina playing a role in a film based in Zambia, I wonder how she feels about all this?  
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
texazzpete:

Why not go the whole nine yards and insist that the characters speak their lines in Igbo with English subtitles?

Why not?

when Tunde Kelani's Abeni was shown in the African film festival here in New York 6 years ago. It was Yoruba with English subs and it was warmly received.

Maybe if you people werent so ashamed of yourselves, you'd do the same.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 9:43pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ Topic - the movie is a British production. While an African wrote the script and the novel it is ultimately up to the producers to decide who they want to cast. If we can blame anyone it should be the Nollywood crew for not having the financial and technical wherewithal to proceed with making this into a movie in the first place.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 9:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
TOH, I'm basking in your attention na. Plus, I don't know if I've disagreed on a subject with you before. So this is interesting. A discussion is supposed to be between people with conflicting views na. Why you sha wan cancel my freedom of speech?

I agree wholeheartedly with the above btw. The thing is foreigners appreciate our culture more than us. Right from day one. But my point is this is pointless. I'd rather fight to get back that beautiful Benin mask chilling in some museum

ThiefOfHearts:

Why not?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by kcjazz(m): 9:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
Why does Morgan Freeman play God in movies? tongue I don't see why there is a petition for a business decision.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 30, 2012
nigerians can like to show power for wetin no be dem own,if all those complaining so much about thandie are that concverned,go look for your money and finance a movie like that.like someone said earlier,no one or nothing is stopping nollywood from doing such a movie and still yet they are more concerned about movies and widows,naija campuses and secret cult that they have done different varieties of such movies
you think i will invest millions of dollars and decide to show case an unknmown actornot while there is a world wide recession,their eye dey chook now and una dey yan of showcasing unknown talent
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by texazzpete(m): 9:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Why not?

when Tunde Kelani's Abeni was shown in the African film festival here in New York 6 years ago. It was Yoruba with English subs and it was warmly received.

I would hate it if it was in Igbo language with English subtitles and im sure many others will feel the same.

ThiefOfHearts:

Maybe if you people werent so ashamed of yourselves, you'd do the same.

Why do you keep on parroting this same 'ashamed of yourselves' line? Freudian slip, perhaps?

I have nothing to be ashamed of myself for. It's just a movie after all. I only feel ashamed when I see many of the Nollywood actresses you idolize showcasing their dire acting skills.

At the end of the day, 90% of the misguided folks filling that petition will still end up watching the movie so I see no point to this whining over trivial details.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 9:55pm On Jan 30, 2012
Antonio banderas(hispanic) played an arab in 13th warrior

antonio banderas is a spaniard, not hispanic.

so, yes he could have arab forebears.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:56pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

If we can blame anyone it should be the Nollywood crew for not having the financial and technical wherewithal to proceed with making this into a movie in the first place.

LOL who do you think Im referring to when Im bashing Nigeria. It SHOULD be a home production, just like Totsi was for South Africa which later won them Best Foreign Film. Will that ever happen in Nigeria?  undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by DaRapture: 9:57pm On Jan 30, 2012
They should of gotten Angela Basset to play the role. Her look and style of acting actually fits the role.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 9:57pm On Jan 30, 2012
cheikh:

tpia@

@^^ Is that myth or reality or your own uninformed prejudice/assumptions? How many Igbos are actually light complexioned let alone mixed/biracial? It's amazing how ignorance and gossip have become "fact" in the Nigerian sphere. Please, I am not being hostile nor attacking you wink.

One_Naira:

You should have left that be. We've constantly drilled it in her head, try to educate her about it but she would not listen.

just keep me up to date with whichever way the wind is blowing at any particular point in time.

not really interested in digging up threads now.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:01pm On Jan 30, 2012
However, the majority of Igbos are dark brown in complexion.Igbo people do not look like the bi-racial Thandie Newton. Thandie Newton is an accomplished and talented actress in her own right. However, she is not Igbo, she is not Nigerian, and she does not physically resemble Igbo women in the slightest.

thandie newton w/ chiwetel

she doesnt really look igbo, true, but maybe an igbo woman could be found who looks like her.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 10:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
thandie newton acts better than any of the nollywood actresses who delivers heaps of shyte acting on our tv sets.

i would rather have quality acting than sentiments of starring a nollywood actress in this kinda movies.
that some nigerians have decided to accept mediocrity is their own business. movie directors/producers are all about delivery quality movies and getting paid. . .
oge okoye and nkiru sylvanus are just too daft to deliver quality acting.

the only nigerian actress i would have trusted to do justice to this play is regina askia.
sadly, she's moved base to the united states.
others are just wack!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by MarcAnthon(m): 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
@heart-rob(ber), go and get laid. . . I mean this in a good way. No offeinse. You sound chronically angry - ALWAYS.

And btw, I have yet to see any movie adaptation of a published story that follows the story verbatim. So make we hear word with the "Olanna is dark" line. I'm beginning to think you have a thing against light-skinned girls. Na complex?

Make I sa lo. Mo to ba temi leni . . .  grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:16pm On Jan 30, 2012
btw does anyone want to give a brief synopsis of the storyline again. . . . . .

olanna is the main character, right?

is she light or dark.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2012

Half of a Yellow Sun is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's award-winning second novel, and was listed as one of New York Times Most Notable Books of 2006. Many critics praised Half of a Yellow Sun and predicted that Achidie will be hailed as a significant writer of the twenty-first century.

The novel takes place in Nigeria, where the author was born. The time frame is the 1960s during the country's Nigerian-Biafran War. The main characters are on the Biafran side of the conflict. The story is told through three different points of view: Ugwu, a young teenage boy who represents the people of the outlying villages; his tribe clings to a more traditional, tribal way of life; Olanna, the daughter of well-to-do city-dwellers; and Richard, a white ex-patriot originally from England, who falls in love with Olanna's twin sister. The story is a combination of politics and personal relationships, charged by the brutal conflicts that occur around the main characters.

The story begins in a somewhat peaceful and almost idyllic setting. Olanna has fallen in love with a radical Nigerian professor who rallies his colleagues, friends, and students around the idea that the mostly southern portion of Nigeria needs to declare its independence. A new country will be formed and it will be called Biafra. Many of the characters are inspired and excited about this concept.

But well into the novel, the realities of war become a major factor. This is not strictly a north/south revolt but rather the conflict is based mostly on tribal disputes. Living mostly in the south, the Igbo people do not trust the more northern tribes people called the Hausa. The main characters of this story are Igbo. Although their hearts are in favor of the revolution and ultimate independence, the Igbo people are not as well prepared, equipped, or financed as the Hausa. In the end, the Igbo people suffer tremendous losses.

Readers are taken through these struggles, losses, and sufferings.  In the process, readers learn of at least one side of this particular time in Nigerian history. But this novel is more than a history lesson. Family relationships, love affairs, community involvements, and the conflicts between the traditional tribal ways of life versus the more modern, often more corrupt, manner of life in the cities are fully explored.

olaana has the same skin colour as patience ozokwor!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:24pm On Jan 30, 2012
Olanna, the daughter of well-to-do city-dwellers; and Richard, a white ex-patriot originally from England

well, since thandie newton has a british father. . . . . . . .

maybe it was felt she could relate to the context and role.

although caroline ekanem danjuma and shan george also have british fathers but maybe arent A listers, or whatever level chiwetel is on?

did olanna have any children with richard?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 10:27pm On Jan 30, 2012
caroline ekanem and shan george? grin grin grin

funke akindele has a better chance!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
texazzpete:

I would hate it if it was in Igbo language with English subtitles and im sure many others will feel the same.

Reason being?

Look at this one.   undecided

What type of movies do you think win Foreign Film? If South Africans/Iranians/French/Dutch/Japanese can do it and be critically praised, what is stopping you self hating loons?

The Kite Runner, a book based on a story of 2 kids in Afghanistan, best seller by Khaled Hassini, as soon as it was turned into a movie, they decided to have it be in English, guess what? the movie BOMBED. Everyone was looking forward to the movie and expected it to be in Farsi, the same oyibo audience that loved the book turned their backs  on the movie when it was shown in English.

yet Totsi with its movie being in all Tsotsitaal, ended up being praised and getting awards. It was ALSO adapted from a book.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:33pm On Jan 30, 2012
The Kite Runner, a book based on a story of 2 kids in Afghanistan, best seller by Khaled Hassini, as soon as it was turned into a movie, they decided to have it be in English, guess what? the movie BOMBED

it did?

are you sure about that?

the movie seemed well put together and was nominated for a couple of awards. It's banned in afghanistan however.

though i think the book is possibly more moving but the movie didnt seem that bad.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Rossikk(m): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
Thiefofhearts said

Im sure if they had casted someone who looked like Alex Wek, Nigerians would have THEN had a problem. but Thandie is 'nice and light" so these brainwashed monkeys are fine.

For someone who fronts like some Conscious Sister, you sure contradict yourself by using well-worn racist terms like 'monkeys' to describe Africans. You can't claim to be standing up for people whom you so clearly disrespect.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

thandie newton acts better than any of the nollywood actresses who delivers heaps of shyte acting on our tv sets.

Actually that isnt true but Im not gonna get that into with you.

I already know why Thandie is a fine choice. Like I already said if the person they chose looked like Gabby Sidibge, Im sure you would all be screaming like banshees.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2012
lol
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
the movie didnt gross well, tpia

if you check imdb and other movie sites, many people were upset that it was in english
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 10:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

i would rather have quality acting than sentiments of starring a nollywood actress in this kinda movies.
that some nigerians have decided to accept mediocrity is their own business. movie directors/producers are all about delivery quality movies and getting paid. . .
oge okoye and nkiru sylvanus are just too daft to deliver quality acting.

the only nigerian actress i would have trusted to do justice to this play is regina askia.
sadly, she's moved base to the united states.
others are just wack!

IMO she is overrated. The likes of Nkiru Sylvanus, Ini Edo and Oge Okoye are actually better actresses. Forget the whole "Mgbeke" label and ridiculous roles that they are associated with.

Regina Askia Acting:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYF_-ByytqI[/flash]

Oge Okoye, Acting (Also see below for real and raw talent from a little girl)

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gljgeZqZLc[/flash]

Ini Edo

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riy_ZChO70[/flash]

I think Nigerians tend to mix up qualities. Being polished is not the same as having talent - Except when it comes to Bimbo Akintola or Onyeka Onwenu, hehe.

As I said - Nigerian movie producers suck and their incompetence wastes a lot of talent.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nnenna1:

As I said - Nigerian movie producers suck and their incompetence wastes a lot of talent.

agreed. personally i wouldnt argue with them because most of them dont even watch these movies so how would they know who's talented or not?

They only mention Regina because of her silly accent. The woman is merely a beauty queen. just like Nadia Buhari, she's a horrid "actress"

There are many who are talented, them having to manage terrible scripts doesnt change that. But the fact that they're Nigerian/local, makes them "bad" in their eyes.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
Rossik, you can always interchange it with House Nijjers if that makes you feel better.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 10:47pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

I already know why Thandie is a fine choice. Like I already said if the person they chose looked like Gabby Sidibge, Im sure you would all be screaming like banshees.

it's all about delivering quality acting devoid of sentiments. . .

"tears of the sun" was a movie set in nigeria starring bruce willis & monica bellucci . .
how many nigerians were on it? tunde kelani(one of the refugees) and one igbo woman that played one insignificant role.

antoine fuqua just couldn't trust the one billion and one mediocre nollywood stars we have. . . .they are not up to standard, abeg!

Nnenna1:

IMO she is overrated. The likes of Nkiru Sylvanus, Ini Edo and Oge Okoye are actually better actresses. Forget the whole "Mgbeke" label and ridiculous roles that they are associated with.

Regina Askia Acting:

I think Nigerians tend to mix up qualities. Being polished is not the same as having talent - Except when it comes to Bimbo Akintola or Onyeka Onwenu, hehe.

so convenient to just scoop out a clip of regina askia at her bottom level. . . . .regina askia in her prime was in the early 90s not the bread n butter movies she did in the twilight of her acting career.

being polished takes precedence before talent when a nigerian actress is expected to star in a movie like "half of a yellow sun". the diction, how the words are expected to sound to be audible to the general audience is key. i really don't think ini edo, nkiru sylvanus or oge okoye have a grasp of pronouncing words.
the average american adult would have difficulty understand what these actresses are trying to say.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2012
You are comparing Tears In The Sun to a book based on a historical event in Nigeria

Good to know.

and Im sure there were plenty of Nigerians in it, to play the baboons in the jungle. smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by yoji: 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2012
Kite runner facts:
Budget-$20m
Box office - $73m
Roger ebert of chicago sun times named it 5th best movie of 2007. D film received generally positive reviews
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 10:51pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Rotflmao!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

I remember Thandie Newton throwing a hissy fit when Jolie was cast as mariane pearl in a Might Heart. Never mind that Mariane Pearl herself who authored the book specifically pick Jolie.

On a serious note, I think I am more particular about getting someone who will translate the character well than someone who looks the part because the truth is if the Actress a good job, it's very easy to forget she not "the right" person. Look at the Jolie as Mariane Pearl

By the time she was done with the role, NAACP nominated her for an award (even it was an aseju baba ase te move  cheesy )

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Big Brother Naija Pornography: Nigerians Are All Hypocrites - Gochu Enwereji / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Ini Edo the Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.