Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar (5139 Views)

How President Buhari Chose The Ministerial Nominees – Garba Shehu / Revealed: How Buhari Chose His Nominees - The Nation / President Jonathan Chose Me But I Can Work With Buhari – Kingsley Kuku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by johnie: 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2012
Why Jonathan chose Abubakar
By Yusuf Alli, Abuja 10 hours 46 minutes ago

Acting Inspector-General of Police Mohammed Abubakar got the job based on merit and professional excellence, Presidency officials said yesterday.

President Goodluck Jonathan chose Abubakar because there was no report indicting him before the Police Service Commission.

A Presidency source, who gave an insight into the appointment, said the government did enough checks and discovered that Abubakar has a high moral pedigree to occupy the office.

The source, who pleaded not to be named because he was not permitted to speak on the matter, spoke against the backdrop of the controversy generated by the recommendation of the Justice Niki Tobi Panel on the Plateau crisis in 2001.

The panel recommended that Abubakar, who was then the Commissioner of Police in Plateau State, should be dismissed from service.

But the presidency said the new IGP has a clean record at the Police Service Commission.

The source said: “The truth of the matter is that Niki Tobi Panel was set up by the Plateau State Government under ex-Governor Joshua Dariye. You need to appreciate the delicate nature of Plateau politics because of the ethno-religious polarisation.

“Each time the state raises a panel on Plateau unrest, the report usually follows a pattern. And when the Federal Government sets up its panel, the report takes a different dimension.

“Most of the Commissioners of Police posted to Plateau State in the last 12 years have always been accused of one thing or the other.

“In the specific case of this new IGP, there is no record that the report was forwarded to the Inspector-General of Police or the Police Service Commission.

“The man was not at any time queried; he was not sanctioned in any way. The principle in law is that an indictment is not a conviction as pronounced by the court in the case of Atiku v. INEC.

“The report is over 12 years and what they are quoting in that report is only a recommendation.

“Since that recommendation, the same man being criticised had been Commissioner of Police in Kwara, Kano and Lagos. He has been an Assistant Inspector-General of Police in about four zones.”

The source said: “I am not aware of any report indicting him; no disciplinary action has been taken against him; and he has not been accused of any misdemeanour.

“He is a man of sterling records and with a track of professional achievements.

“This is a man that is recommended even by his own colleagues and the rank and file for his competence, professionalism and discipline.

“That is the kind of man that is needed at this time. He is disciplined and highly respected by his own colleagues.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/34750-why-jonathan-chose-abubakar.html
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by talktrue1(m): 2:38pm On Jan 27, 2012
The reason is simple. Federal Character

Chief of Army staff is an Igbo man, Defence is a Yoruba man, Therefore, Police must be a Northerner
So, he is the best among the selected Northerners.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by canuck(m): 2:44pm On Jan 27, 2012
I thot MD Abubakar was chosen because he is the first IGP (in recent memory) without a protruding pot-belly  cheesy
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Mobinga: 2:58pm On Jan 27, 2012
Hope he's not incompetent.

Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Fostercat(m): 9:43am On Jan 28, 2012
From the credence presented,the guy is good!wat he needs,is a maximum support frm all of us Nigerians.mike okiro,sunday Ehindero,hd flat tummy too.lol
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by double08(m): 9:45am On Jan 28, 2012
Saw him on Channels yesterday,at-least he is bold enough to criticize boko haram publicly,its being a while anyone did that,hope his immediate family is under a WPP,because they are not safe anymore from these terrorist
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by esemuru1: 9:46am On Jan 28, 2012
Do u want a sugarmummy dat wil change ur life 4 gud only if u satisfy her sexual needs all u hav 2 do is 2 call mr felix on 08076399795 or send dem a mail on agent.sugarmummy@yahoo.com.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Fostercat(m): 9:48am On Jan 28, 2012
@Esemuru1: u very useless!! Get a life nd get out of this thread!ve a bad saturtday!
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by karlmax2: 9:58am On Jan 28, 2012
esemuru1:
Do u want a sugarmummy dat wil change ur life 4 gud only if u satisfy her intimate needs all u hav 2 do is 2 call mr felix on 08076399795 or send dem a mail on agent.sugarmummy@yahoo.com.

The people Ʊ duped last year on nairaland with dis same format neva still forgive Ʊ take your sugar mummy FM . and shove it in ya a$$ and get a life
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by eghost247(m): 10:04am On Jan 28, 2012
hope he delivers nigeria has changed igs too much in recent years
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 28, 2012
double08:

Saw him on Channels yesterday,at-least he is bold enough to criticize boko haram publicly,its being a while anyone did that,hope his immediate family is under a WPP,because they are not safe anymore from these terrorist

The man is much loved by journalists, and he is such a showman. When he was CP of Lagos he used to appear on the news on a daily basis for one reason or the other, lol. One thing we can be sure of is that he'll be the IGP with the highest media presence in Nigeria's history. As for Boko Haram, something tells me this guy doesn't give a bleep. Certainly his family would be well protected.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by dayo23(f): 10:45am On Jan 28, 2012
action speaks louder than voice, I dey laff ooo
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Koolking(m): 10:52am On Jan 28, 2012
talk true:

Duly stamped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief of Army staff is an Igbo man, Defence is a Yoruba man, Therefore, Police must be a Northerner
Foster cat:

From the credence presented,the guy is good!wat he needs,is a maximum support frm all of us Nigerians.mike okiro,sunday Ehindero,hd flat tummy too.lol

My brother,with no pun intended and my absolute respect to your opinion. i was only wondering what you meant by 'good'? did you mean his look or his achievement/unquestionable patriotism to the country? The same good preceded president jonathan's assumption of office, same preceded the immediate past IG. At the end we are back to our trenches. Is it not apt to do first thing first than doing last thing first. I have no problem with MD abubakar has a person. But from record, he has no track record of achievement in the force (correct me if i am wrong). As far as he was indicted in Jos security imbroglio, his credibility was lost, he is not fit to head the force. this federal character or political compensation/consideration is killing this country. it would be wisdom if we begin to allow the best person do the job.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Fostercat(m): 11:04am On Jan 28, 2012
@ kool king:I am not sure u kno better than the NSA,the minister of police affairs nd other top security men in this country.For the records,am a christian nd a deltan who resides in lagos.so my submission here is very objective.since he was pronounce IG,I ve done a lot of research abt him nd read abt him on a daily basis.he is a police officer wit lot of experience nd tremendious achievements.

For the indictement,this is the interpreatation of the law'he man was not at any time queried; he was not sanctioned in any way. The principle in law is that an indictment is not a conviction as pronounced by the court in the case of Atiku v. INEC.
'
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by psalmizt(m): 12:31pm On Jan 28, 2012
talk true:

GBAM!!! Case closed,
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by dancewith: 12:53pm On Jan 28, 2012
Is the FG questioning the credibility of the eminent jurist, Niki Tobi & Co? I would assume there would be no smoke without fire, based on the strong words the panel had for MD Abubakar. It appears highly insensitive for the FG to appoint this man, whether or not he was indicted or recommended for sack (I can't see the difference). If there is any iota of truth in the panel's recommendation (which I believe there is), then the FG has shown gross incompetence in towing this line. Those with siblings, relatives and parents murdered by Boko Haram wil understand the pains they went through and glorifying such murders with this appointment only serves to mire us as a nation deeper into abyss.

It is now left for the new IG to prove everybody wrong, renounce his ways and give this country the peace it deserves. We all know Boko Haram has highly placed Nigerians and security agents as members. Even if he is a sympathizer, he can plead with them to show this country mercy. Maybe this is the logic in the government's action with this appointment. It may well be a brilliant masterstroke or a mighty calamity. Like so may have said, only time shall tell
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by whobemumu(m): 3:39pm On Jan 28, 2012
Somebody mentioned tremendous experience. And achievements , Pls educate us
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by kizito96(m): 5:39pm On Jan 28, 2012
Lets see what happens with 6 months
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by Koolking(m): 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2012
Foster cat:

@ kool king:I am not sure u kno better than the NSA,the minister of police affairs nd other top security men in this country.For the records,am a christian nd a deltan who resides in lagos.so my submission here is very objective.since he was pronounce IG,I ve done a lot of research abt him nd read abt him on a daily basis.he is a police officer wit lot of experience nd tremendious achievements.

For the indictement,this is the interpreatation of the law'he man was not at any time queried; he was not sanctioned in any way. The principle in law is that an indictment is not a conviction as pronounced by the court in the case of Atiku v. INEC.
'

Foster cat my brother. I respect your opinion. The truth is I have never been a member of NSC, hence my ignorance about them. But I believe corruption has beclouded our fair sense of reasoning. We are still where we are cos' there is truth in the corridor is government. The govt is bent on compensating him for his loyalty. MD Abubakar was indicted cos he was found wanting. If he was an absolute loyalist to the govt then, the report was ultimately thrown to the back seat. I repeat, political appointment should be based on proven track record and not political consideration and compensation.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by anataala: 8:04am On Jan 29, 2012
and if i can recall the present NSO AZAZI was indicted during obasanjo regime by a panel for giving Niger Delta Militants weapons, why are people not saying anything about his appointment as NSO people should remove sentiments while voicing out their opinions
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by ignis: 9:28am On Jan 29, 2012
Do we still have merit in this corrupt nigeria??
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by doctokwus: 9:43am On Jan 29, 2012
anataala:

and if i can recall the present NSO AZAZI was indicted during obasanjo regime by a panel for giving Niger Delta Militants weapons, why are people not saying anything about his appointment as NSO people should remove sentiments while voicing out their opinions
People did speak out against Azazi.Am surprised that Azazi is still keeping his office because BH attacks are more an indictment of his office than that of the IGP,being security cordinator sort of& let's face it,BH being a terrorist organisation falls under d purview of d SSS,NSA than of the police.I think Ringim was sacked bc of the escape of Kabiru Sokoto.If anybody needs to take the boot for BH,it shd b Azazi,SSS&NSA directors
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by josite: 11:23am On Jan 29, 2012
in a proper country.the man will be dropped cos of the NIKI TOBI JSC recoomendation.he must not be d only cometent guy for the job in nigeria.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by juman(m): 1:27pm On Jan 29, 2012
ignis:

Do we still have merit in this corrupt nigeria??

Hmmm.

I remember Chief Sunday Adewusi.

The best IGP so far.
Re: Why Jonathan Chose Abubakar by segunjowo(m): 6:50pm On Jan 29, 2012
All I know is that the presidency acted before thinking through this matter. It has always been the style of this administration anyways. new IGP- carry on. Time will tell if you are good or bad.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of The Nigerian Security Forces Shooting Unarmed Biafrans In Portharcourt / Poster Of Sambo Dasuki Floods The Streets In Umuahia, Abia State / A Soldier Killed A Man, See The Soldier That Killed Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.