Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? (31190 Views)

My Mother Inlaw Caught Me Kissing My Wife's Friend in our washroom. / DO YOU KNOW , You Are Useless! Says Father Inlaw To Son-inlaw / It Is Right For Your Mother Inlaw To Call Your Wife Every Sec. And At Late Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by kimbaby: 11:18am On Feb 08, 2012
e
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by babestella: 11:49am On Feb 08, 2012
Kimbaby, you must be strong. I have a similar situation with my brother in-law. Anywhere football, Premier league, Spanish etc is on, he must be there. At a time I can't even watch news in my house, cos my wife wants to satisfy her brother, so he watches football all time. I had to stop that nonsense in my house. My brother in-law eats any time he likes, sometime 4 or more time, can't do anything at all, can even help wash my car, he prefers that I take the car to a car wash and do that and pay 500 naira cos it is an SUV.

I told them several times, that people don't make progress that way, when you live with people, you need to humble yourself, you need to give up pride to gain GOD's favor, not man. I lived with an uncle and his wife never complained, one day, rather she gives me lots of gifts and really cared about my mother. Why, cos I was humble, up and doing, once I wake up early morning, I wash cars, tidy the rooms, clean and dust the sitting rooms, I respected what they have so i don't touch them anyhow. All I do is pray when ever I do such things that GOD will make me have better things in abundance in future. It is not Majic, today, I drive a good SUV, I live in a duplex, and I married a good wife, I have my business and my income is OK, it keeps my family going.

My brother in-law is full of pride and when my wife talks to him, he says " is it because I am here, you people are talking to me anyhow"

people don't know that success don't fall from heaven, it is worked, one need to work for it, it comes from ones years of sacrifice, hard work either in the circular or corporate world.

My dear, just be strong, stand up and tell your husband to call this guy to order or you will be forced to do that yourself, your sanity, peace of mind and love is more important than one guy called brother in-law. Since he has a source of income, he should to get at least 1 room to live in.

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Felibaby(f): 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
kimbaby:

I think my case is the worst, what would u do if ur jobless 30yr old brother inlaw has been living with u, ur husband and daughter in a 1bedroom since u've been married for 3yrs now? There is no privacy, He Eats the way he wants, he can't take out the trash unless u remind him, he can't put off the GEN when u're cooking and NEPA is back on, has nothing else to discuss with ur husband asides football, village, clubs and chics, can never dust or clean, eats before u or ur husband even eat, steals food when u are sleeping at night, had 2 tricycles that gave him 96k per month yet didn't move out, owned a block industry but refused to pay rent to move out, can never pick ur daughter when u are running late from work even though he drives ur husband's old car? Has no single responsibility even at home as my husband and another brother take care of their parents and pay fees for the younger ones, and ur husband couldn't care cos he believes he has done so much for the guy (sent him to school, gave him his old car instead of me, tried to get him jobs, tried to help him travel out when he just finished school but it didn't work out etc) then he can't send his brother away and is more interested in building a house that is taking us forever, I can go on and on and on. So tell me what would u do with my kind of inlaw cos am at the verge of madness or moving out, the inconvenience and unhappiness is just unbearable

Na wa o. Shows you are a very tolerant woman. Its your husband's mistake.
I would have made my husband boot him out long time ago.

If you are open to some tips on a safe way of ejecting him, just let me know. wink
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by kimbaby: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
A

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by DeepSoul(f): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2012

I do not have any inlaws yet. But growing up, there were ALWAYS relatives living with us (mostly from my mum's side!).

My paternal grand dad lived with us for a few years before he passed on
My maternal grand mum lived with us for a few years before she passed on
My mum's younger sister lived with us for about 7yrs before she ran away and scattered her life
My mum's 2 younger brothers lived with us for yearsssssssss b4 they moved out
My maternal grand dad lived with us before he got bored and left

My mum's younger sister came from Lagos to live with us with her newborn baby because she had issues with her husband. . .the next thing we knew, he came to "beg" to take her back and the next thing we knew, they ALL moved in and lived with us for more than ONE YEAR. A full family living with us

At different times, we have had different cousins and relations "holidaying". My dad is just too much of an angel and had a heart too big for lazy adults.

It seemed normal then. But now that I'm all grown up. . . I wouldn't tolerate that. Firstly, thank God all my siblings are educated and will be doing something useful with their lives rather than "perching" with me. My parents are, thankfully, more enlightened than their parents. . .so it's so hard to imagine them living with me. . .except in special conditions where they might need to be taken care of.

Another factor is age. When you get married and have kids early, by the time they're ready to get married and start a family, you'd still be young enough to have interests in enjoying your life rather than moving to their house permanently and causing wahala

4 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by kimbaby: 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
@felibaby am open to all your tips and suggestions, thank u
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by omoabike: 1:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
As everybody has rightly commented on this issue, it depends on the in-laws and how they respect the spouse that is not their relative in the marriage. As for me, my in-laws made not living with us easy for me because of how life was for me and my wife when we just married. I have a very domineering mother-in-law.
We were just managing then and my mother-in-law and to some extent her siblings at several times threw insults my way because they felt their daughter/sister married a “poor” man. She was always complaining about our not having chairs in our sitting room whenever she came on short visits to our house then. When my wife had a miscarriage she did not come to our house and when she had our son, she did not even come to the hospital until 2 days after even though she lives in Lagos as we were living then.
As it turned out I moved to a multinational and after a few years I was transferred to the US and have now have been transferred to another location. In the intervening years, they started putting pressure on my wife to let the mom come for a visit.
My wife initially could not tell me as my mum who was the one always around to help her while we were in Nigeria with our child then has not even come to us on a visit. But when she ask I said no problem but only after my mum comes and my mum I know (as she has told me) is not ready to leave her business to come sit in our house for weeks.
I would have had no problem with her coming but for her open animosity to me and the way she behaved to me and my wife after our marriage. With the way she has been going about she has not “repented”. What she has been doing is to try to get at me using my wife. She forced me to get an apartment for her and her husband.
When I told them I could not afford this which was the truth, it led to a big fight between me and my wife. It was only after, my wife accepted what I gave which could only get a house in an area the mother did not want. My father-in-law refused to move to this place and the house was then let out by my mother-in-law and she kept the money.
So for me, if you ask me I will say no for any of them to stay in my house.  Most times immature and mischievous in-laws will only bring trouble into a marriage and as such should not be welcomed.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
Having in-laws living with me is not an issue at all . . . I grew up in a house of 9 children plus my parents = 11, plus at least 4 relatives at EVERY given point in time.

I hated it though and couldnt wait to get out, but I later realized that my parents did what they did to help their less priviledged relatives.

If I have to house any in-law, I will do it . . . but I will not allow anybody cross h/her boundary. And I wont hesitate to kick someone out if h/she misbehaves.

As for my siblings, none of them will even have the time to come and live with me and my husband. My twin sister was living with me before I got married but when I was moving to my husband's house, she was getting her own place.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not about resepect, it's about being considerate. People should try and be a little less selfish when placing expectations on their relatives. Things are so hard now that to feed one extra mouth is not a child's play.

I can only tolerate to an extent, God knows I will never encourage grown ups to pest off me. Tufiakwa!
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by 76Naira(m): 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
That I think would depend on the age & situation.
My sisters-in-law stay with me & work just after school and am loving every bit of it.
We do have our differences & don't agree in some things but its fine. They are young and have visible plans for marriage and further studies.
But if the person is not meaningfully engaged, has nothing in the near section of the pipeline or is a parent, hmmm hmmm, It would have to be extremely short, under one week, the fewer the better.

I know a friend who's mother-in-law when to help out while she studied in the US. It was so fantastic as they said. I think such can always be an exception.

In the end, it depends on the people & how tolerant they are.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by yodiyokun(f): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
No one size fits all in this matter.

However, what I have realized is that some people are just inconsiderate and just don't know when enough is enough.

I just dont get people that earn money and still live with people and cant just go out and live on their own.

I am currently experiencing that sitaution right now and I am getting fed up with it. Housing a whole family for many months is no joke.

I was on the other side of the fence previously where someone else housed my and my family for 4 months, It was a pain for me I couldn't wait to get out.

Immediately one of us got a low paying job we moved out. I'd rather live in a onebedroom that is mine that live in someones else's mansion.

I have told my spouse, I am not repeating this favour for any other person again even my own siblings. The cost is too high in inconvenience, and the worst part is the wrong influence on my kids.

I will help from afar, chikena.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Africaine(f): 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
Having in laws live with one is something to be taken lightly,because so many factors come into play especially if you are the way you see things differs.
My in laws lived with me for from the day i got married till abtn july 2010,when the floods came and drove everybody out
It was hell,even that is an understatement,they are rude lazy extremely annoying mannerless set of people,i almost a physical altercation my sister in law,it took everything in me fight,i walked away,to d extent dat just bcus i didnt like the way they wud eat wat i have scheduled to last a week in 2days,i wud bring out wats for them on my way work and lock my freezer,they actually broke my freezer,i was livid! I told my sister in law,pls dont go to my pot witout asking first,she had a problem wit that, infact that july 10th rain that flooded lagos,it entered my house oh,was the best thing to have happened to me oh. After the flood,we had to move,and i just put my feet down,them or me I told my hubby,u can relate wit them,anyway time or how,u want,my staying in my house is COMPLETELY prohibited oh,whether ur mama like make she cry blood oh,we signed an agreement,and now I hav so much peace and our expenses had reduced drastically,even my hubby had to concede and apologise for not sending them away sooner.

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by nwangap(f): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2012
you may not know how troublesome they can be until u take them in, as a woman, i will rather avoid them living in my house, relate to them from a distance rather than start what cannot end well, cos it always sours
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Outstrip(f): 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2012
I am starting to not believe these stories. I know in laws can be crazy but this is extreme. I grew up in Nigeria for the most part and this never happened. There is more to this story. How can you say that you had to get dstv in every room so that your in laws who you want out will feel comfortable or that someone left her matrimonial home because her husband asked her sister to leave. It sounds like either you people are allowing the behavior or some of it is just not true. Buying food and hiding it in the bedroom so that someone does nto eat it is ridiculous. Your wife is tripping for even reducing herself to that. Why can you not tell them not to eat it and if they cannot follow your rules they have to leave and go somewhere were there are no rules.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by oradee: 5:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
Africaine:

Having in laws live with one is something to be taken lightly,because so many factors come into play especially if you are the way you see things differs.
My in laws lived with me for from the day i got married till abtn july 2010,when the floods came and drove everybody out
It was hell,even that is an understatement,they are rude lazy extremely annoying mannerless set of people,i almost a physical altercation my sister in law,it took everything in me fight,i walked away,to d extent dat just bcus i didnt like the way they wud eat wat i have scheduled to last a week in 2days,i wud bring out wats for them on my way work and lock my freezer,they actually broke my freezer,i was livid! I told my sister in law,pls dont go to my pot witout asking first,she had a problem wit that, infact that july 10th rain that flooded lagos,it entered my house oh,was the best thing to have happened to me oh. After the flood,we had to move,and i just put my feet down,them or me I told my hubby,u can relate wit them,anyway time or how,u want,my staying in my house is COMPLETELY prohibited oh,whether ur mama like make she cry blood oh,we signed an agreement,and now I hav so much peace and our expenses had reduced drastically,even my hubby had to concede and apologise for not sending them away sooner.

grin grin grin grin one man's pain was a certain woman's joy
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Ninilowo(m): 5:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Rossikk : I say a big thank u for ur advise. I will like to let you know that foolishness and cowardice are out of way. I am a high ranking offficer. I know you had a big feeling for me thats why u started with the two word. once again thanks for the advise. My duty do take me out off base in some cases but right now am back to base. thanks bro
@Iykak47 : Thanks for the emphaty, everything is under control. All the way, good to go!
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by sammyke(m): 10:06pm On Feb 08, 2012
3 hrs
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
I wouldn't trade my privacy for anything.
I even used to tell my friends when i was single that they can't stay in my house for more than a week.
People saw me as mean but they came to accept me as i am.

As for in-laws, i am lucky.
My husband has educated and enlightened family members.
My mother in-law only spends a week max whenever she comes to visit her grand kids.
She buys so much stuff for us that i always feel embarrassed.

My own parents don't even visit.
My mum is non Nigerian so the concept of staying with your child after giving birth is alien to her.
My dad is even worse, one visit after every 4yrs and he won't spend 1hr.
My siblings are all married and live in different places.

Anyways, if i had overstaying (max 2weeks) in-laws, it will be either me or them.
My husband will choose and choose fast, i have zero tolerance for invasion of privacy.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 09, 2012
Reading some stories here all I can say is WOW. Some People like to take advantage of kindness and hospitality. I have seen situations as described by kimbaly. I cant even imagine how hard it must be. Couples have to respect each other, haba whats "dont come between me and my brothers" This is your wife oh, couples should be on the same page on how long an in law can visit or if they should even visit.
I am blessed to have great In laws yet me and my husband discuss and agree on isssues concerning my people and His own. Why would any mother ask her son in law to rent a house for them, thank God the father in law was so sensible. I dont even know what to say
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Rolahun(f): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2012
i think a woman can never ask her parent in law to leave their house even if she's the one feeding the man, unless the man has been bewicthed and they will fire back at her that the mere fact, if she still wants to maintain happy home.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Vince77(m): 2:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
sir-p2007:
TOO LONG IS WHEN U FEEL IS TOO LONG,
as to hw to ask an inlaw to leave,very simple.
''in-law abeg time don reach wen u go waka,abeg ready make l go drop u for park.greet evry bodi for me when u reach house.call me whn u reach.

Dats a harsh way. Bt its funny
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by klear(f): 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2013
It depends on d individual in ques...if u r out 2 make life miserable 4 me, u have urself 2 blame. I once lived wit my sister & her husband prior 2 my marriage & wat my bro-n-law did 4 me on my wedding day was awesome...peeps who didn't know my dad tot he was my father (as far as he's concerned, am his 1st child) cos I was a Big asset 2 dem wen I was wit dem & dey felt my impact. Come & stay as long as u like as long as u r nt an a.s.s hole. Am d last n my family & my husband is an only child (whose mom is based outside d country) so anyone coming 2 stay is a cousin & d measure d person uses wil also b used by me/ my husband (as far as he is concerned, don't come & inconvience my wife cos he didn't marry her 2 serve u)
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by mgbeketoto: 2:05am On Jan 09, 2014
If you are gainfully employed, such a thing will not even cross your mind! kiss
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by blssed4lyfe: 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
infact this op just reflects what im going through now. MIL is currently living with us to 'help' me take care of my 3month old baby while im at work. so far its been just too challenging to deal with. Aside from the fact that she doesnt see me as her daughter... she just deliberately wants to aggravate me at every instance. she rather shows her care to outsiders like the maid living with us than her own grandchildren. to the extent the maid now sleeps with her while my daughter who was sleeping with her before now has been forced to start sleeping with us. its just the love of God and perseverance that is keeping me sane. too many things to mention on a public forum jare... I just pray this phase passes quickly before I do something very drastic
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by tvreporter: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2016
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by eyinjuege: 1:33pm On Mar 31, 2016
Ninilowo:
BLESS U MR POSTER my mother inlaw s been with us sincce 2006 before our wedding. she used to sneak in and leave before my arrival from work but since we had our first child, she and my wifes sister had gotten a permanent suit in my house. i was told they would leave as soon as the mum (my wife) starts work. now our second child is 4 yet there is no sign to show that they are ready to llive. My wifes sister is about to get married and any time the issue of when to leave comes up, my wife accuses me of embarrasing the mum. The issue is making me sad cos I never had the privacy I cherished so much with my family. I did not even have the intimacy I would have llove to have with my children.

What kind of nonsense is that

It's time for you to be as rude and unbearable as possible!!!

In fact,tell your wife that you want them gone in one week!!! Are you trying to pull our legs here or something?

N:B- this thread is s old as Methuselah! I didn't even notice the date lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 6:23pm On Mar 31, 2016
Depends on the in law involved. If you have come to stress me.... One night... If you have come in peace... Stay as long as you want.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Ninilowo(m): 11:40pm On Mar 31, 2016
eyinjuege:

What kind of nonsense is that

It's time for you to be as rude and unbearable as possible!!!

In fact,tell your wife that you want them gone in one week!!! Are you trying to pull our legs here or something?

N:B- this thread is s old as Methuselah! I didn't even notice the date lipsrsealed embarassed
grin grin grin Thanks. The issue has bn maturely handled.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 31, 2016
How long is too long? An overnight stay is as long as it gets, or a weekend. No more.

My wife and myself have never had inlaws stay over more than a weekend. I will NOT encourage my wife's or my relatives to park themselves upon us for longer than a weekend. We like our personal space.

This may not work for others, who may have inlaws as a permanent or long-term arrangement at their home. If it works for them, great. I know I could not tolerate inlaws living with us long term, my wife feels the same way too, so it all works well for all of us. We're happy, our kids are happy.

What more could we ask for?
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 12:16am On Apr 01, 2016
SkyRider1:
Eminent NairaLanders, consider a scenario where there is an Evil Murderous Mate. What more can in laws do than to come to the rescue of their beloved.

Define an evil and murderous mate.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 2:15am On Apr 01, 2016
coolkaboom:
ol-boi, I goofed. My wife had a baby-girl (our 2nd) 6 months ago, since then, her mum and sister hav set-up camp at my home. Initially, it was a relief but I have recently com to d conclusion that I was siiting on a keg of gun-powder. D more I covr my ears and eyes, the more brazen they become. Anytime i enquire from my madam abt when they will be leaving, she claims to still need them because d baby is still to young for day-care.

i had to put my foot down and tactfully kick em out when d whining and snide remarks were gettin too 'amplified'. For sake of respect, some distance has to be maintained between in-laws and a young growing marriage. It's helpful in the short-run but too damaging when the stay is extended.

Having said that, it also depends on the characters involved. I had no real issues with the sister, na dem mama get gutter-mouth, and i couldnt stand her influence on my wife. Havin every decision or discussion ratified by that woman was like living in 'HELL'.
That is why when a women born pikin, taking care and all that should be done in their house (her papa n mama house) you will have some fresh air atleast. you only get to visit and be supplying her the needed items. If not eh, the way dem go full ur house no b here. Atleast thats d way i see most guys do now. I am the shy type and likes privacy more than jollof rice. A week in ma house with a mother inlaw will be a living HELL.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 01, 2016
malele:
una go kill me with laugh here ooo

I tell u. becos of the doses of laugh i get everyday, i am addicted to nairaland.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 01, 2016
Rossikk:
Ninilowo said:

You are a fool and a coward. Why don't you fuuking stand up, BE A MAN, and tell them to CLEAR OUT if that is what you want in your home? What kind of nonsense is this? Why are you so afraid of them? Are they gods or deities? Are they superhumans? Are they not human beings like you?  If they think staying for 6 YEARS in your house is ok, without even confiding in you their intentions or agenda, they've already declared war on you right there without your knowledge, and disrespected you massively. They'd studied you, and saw your civility and consideration as weakness. And capitalized on it.

Now get this: You owe them NOTHING either in terms of respect or consideration.  They have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT IN THIS WORLD to deny you the kind of life you want for your family. Stand up, Be a man, and most importantly, YOU MUST NOT CARE  how they 'feel' by your next actions. They never cared about your feelings either.

It is NOT your job to make them 'happy' with you. SO DO YOUR THING AND STOP THIS NONSENSE NOW. Give them an ultimatum - 1 week to 1 month (personally I'd give them a week max). AND STICK TO IT.

Must you abuse him before you pass ur point across. Truly kids full nairaland aswear. SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's It Like To Have Your Wife/husband Cheat On You? / Mourners At Man’s Burial In Enugu Confess To Killing Him With Juju / 9-Year-Old Homeless Girl Feeds Feaces To Baby Of Lady That Rescued Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.