Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 (121378 Views)

Buhari, Nigeria's President-Elect's Convoy (Photo) / Jonathan Lied: Arms Export To Nigeria From 1983-1985 Facts And Figures / Graduate Employment Data 1983 - 1985 Under Buhari (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
Buhari is not boastfulof his achievements, in interviews he would often be seen praising our leaders of the 1st republic!

He even credited Obj for building refineries during Obj's reign as military ruler , instead of himself who was Petroleum minister who actually built them undecided

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 [/size]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

Buharinomics was General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984. He summarized the objective of his economic policy (as articulated in the 1984 budget) as follows: "To arrest the decline in the economy, to put the economy on a proper course of recovery and solvency, and to chart a future course for economic stability and prosperity" (West Africa, May 14, 1984). He had previously done similarly, in March while receiving the visiting Sudanese President, Gaafar Nimeiri. Upon his inquiring of what the new military government had in mind for the nation it then ruled, Buhari said to him: "The priority [of his administration] is for economic recovery, providing employment opportunities, improving people's living conditions, consolidating internal security and ensuring foreign respect" (Africa Now, March 1984). In a nutshell, Buharinomics set out to arrest the decline in the economy and refocus it towards recovery.

Buharinomics was to wean the nation off consumerism and profligacy, while channeling it towards frugality and productivity. To accomplish this, the government was to cut down on its expenditure, engage in more efficient restricting and controlling of foreign exchange outflow, undertake the revival of the country's productive capacity (concentration was on agriculture), and broaden government's revenue base.

The first test of Buharinomics was implemented to revive the comatose banking industry and arrest local currency hoarding. In April 1984, the government ordered a change in the color of the Naira. This action was dubbed the “real coup” by unscrupulous business men and politicians who had almost eliminated the need for commercial banking in Nigeria by keeping their moneys under their mattresses or by trafficking them into neighboring West African countries.

This currency change, which forced all holders of the naira notes into exchanging them for the new naira notes at commercial banks, infused billions that had remained unaccounted for into the banking industry and eliminated counterfeited currencies, which had inflicted inflationary and other nefarious effects on the economy. This measure had an immediate revitalizing effect in the banking industry and was an unqualified success. Banks that were close to collapsing became vibrant again, to the extent that some of them began to hire hitherto unemployed Nigerians.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:45am On Jun 24, 2012
There were no sacred cows in Buhari's fight against corruption.

GenBuhari: [size=18pt]25th June 1985 - ITN News
Buhari's anti-corruption tribunal convicts British /Arab business woman[/size]

The Lagos Zone of the exchange control-anti sabotage tribunal today, ordered a British/Arab business woman Mrs Mahmet Bahia Bin Chambi and five other companies to refund a total of 2,558,744,902 26k to the Federal Military Government.

In addition Mrs Chambi is to be imprisoned for twelve years for the first count and ten years each for three other charges, the sentences are to run concurrently. Thus she is expected to spend twelve years in jail.

Delivering judgement in a case of an alleged illegal transfer of over 98 million naira Mr Justice Oladipo Williams ordered Mrs Chambi to pay 98,124,903,01k and that she should be deported at the expiration of her prison sentence.

The other companies include Green Engineering Limited as second accused and Uniparts and hardware Nigeria Limited as the third accused.

The other three accused are Nimpex, Sexterin and Unicon Enterprises, Nigeria Limited, respectively who are to refund 492,123,999.85k each.

Mr Justice Oladipo Williams after reviewing the case noted that from all intent and purpose the accused persons had intentionally planned from the beginning to sabotage the Nations economy which he said is punishable under the exchange control anti sabotage decree of 1984.

The other five accused persons who were represented by their Nigerian Directors' were however discharged but not acquitted.

The sentence are subject to the ratification of the Supreme Military Council.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 29, 2012
The best reply on this thread thusfar:

OBEHIOYE: As a Nigerian under-30 who grew up in Warri I have been quite close to the oil and gas industry in Nigeria and luckily so this has helped me understand some of the issues that come up in that industry.
I have also been very fortunate to have visit 3 major power stations as well as the “3” refineries in southern Nigeria while also ending up as an engineer so I can better understand and be part of this very lucrative industry.
It may not be a surprise but you should know that since after the late 70’s and early 80’s up until 2009 there has been no major infrastructural development in Nigeria. No new power plants have been built and successfully commissioned nor has the foundation been laid for any oil refinery.
My visit to the ones I mentioned above turned up very interesting results as regards their capacities and operational efficiencies but mind you the visits to the power plants was conducted between 2004 and 2006 while those to the refineries were earlier.
While the PH refinery was operating at between 60-70% installed capacity at the time of my visit, the Warri plant was virtually non functional at that time. I was told that the crude line to the Warri plant was damaged (Vandalized) and so they couldn’t receive crude to refine and so they using the opportunity to do a mini in-house Turn-Around Maintenance (TAM). Not long after that visit the FGN also used the same excuse and officially awarded contract for the TAM to Chrome Oil Resources owned by Anambra business-man, Sir Emeka Offor. That TAM was never concluded and the refinery staff had to complete it on their own.
My visit to the three power plants showed that two of them had were operating at less than 40% capacity!! We were given the same excuse that gas pipelines had been vandalized and so they couldn’t get gas to run their turbines but I noticed that the turbines were very old with about half of them packed-up.
The most interesting thing I noticed on these visits was the name and dates on the commissioning plagues of these plants: Lt. Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo was the name while the dates ranged from 1977 to 1979. I immediately fell in love with Obj and when he became president later I silently wished and prayed he would perform the same magic until he began to scheme for 3rd term and that I couldn’t stomach.
[size=13pt]When Obj failed bw 1999 and 2007, I tried to understand and then I realized and got to know that the master-mind of all those developments during his military stint was Brig. Gen. Mohammadu Buhari who was the Minister of Power and Energy during that period. Buhari it was, being in-charge of that ministry, built all those plants Obj had commissioned and I had visited.
We are also all aware of the magic that same Buhari performed as head the PTF, which ran a parallel government in Nigeria by getting JUST 3% of every litre of petroleum product purchased in Nigeria. Projects started and completed by the PTF are too numerous to mention here.[/size]

Buhari has never been indicted by any probe or inquiry as haven stolen any money. We have seen how prudent and useful the ministries and agencies he ran were yet we refused to vote him because we have been fed with lies upon lies that he was a religious bigot, he would make Sharia national thing etc.
The cesspool of corruption called Nigeria needs a man in the calibre of Buhari to run her affairs and the funny thing is in our heart of heart we all knew this yet we were afraid to take the bull by the horn and deliver that long-awaited change to Nigeria. Instead you all voted a man, so scared of public debates that he arranged his own private debate. A man who as deputy-governor and governor had no achievement to his name except a corrupt wife!
Unfortunately, Buhari has also hurt his credibility by the statements he made just after the elections. I would definitely vote for him again but for me he just should have appealed to the people instead of saying “the people have only reacted to cheating that was perpertuated”.
It’s rather unfortunate what our country has turned into, really very unfortunate that sometimes I think she’s irredeemable.
I just hope that we would have the courage to see through their lies and smiling faces and do what is right by searching the deep recesses of our conscience and voting appropriately next time but for now let us live in peace with one another.
Cheers.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 05, 2012
He praised Obasanjo for building the refineries. I think Obj knew he could not steal from any ministry that Buhari was in charge of grin
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 13, 2012
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 8:13am On Jul 13, 2012
God bless u 4 d love and service dat u offer u country.As 4 u blind haters,i wish u and ur children all d fresh air gej have 2 offer.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Elueme: 8:59am On Jul 13, 2012
Buhari should know that their is no justifications for coup ' detat, bloodless or not.. Any obedience or attitude learnt by force cannot be enduring but will fissle out once the compelling force rescinds.. Exactly where Buhari got it wrong when he scuttled our nascent democratic experiment barely five years old then..by now through criticisms and vibrant oppositions as we are having today, Nigeria would have since gotten it right.. Buhari has so many flux which makes him the worst sell for a president in Nigeria.. I won't border going through is score cards as a military ruler with numerous abuses but nigeria's biggest problem today is prefixed on Buhari.. His gutless and inordinate ambition for power has derided him of sound reasoning, that he can do anything to rule Nigeria and his mission is not to fix anything which he doesn't even have the intellectual capacity to do but vendetta, revenge and arson.. Are we prepared for anode cold war because his presumed enemies are no mean men as well.. And Nigeria and Nigerians ll suffer in the long run.. However, Buhari should be a patriot he claims to be and act as a statesman by putting heads together with incumbent government on moving this country forward.. He should call his kinsmen on need to view Nigeria as theirs and sue for peace for the interest of everyone... He should stop this inconsistency in his political adventure and live above boards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Elueme: 9:09am On Jul 13, 2012
mens dept: Gen Buhari,

You are not right and wrong with this post. Wrong in the sense that a 1983 dream would steer Naija in the right direction in 2012, and the fact that Buhari was and will always be a coup plotter, who's various appointments and service was a result of illegal regimes that got us to the current mess we have till date.

Where I can give you some slack is the sense that the Buhari (illegal) regime was not as wasteful as the OBJ-Yar Adua-GEJ click, along with poor governors, dumm lazy legislators, and coward parties called ACN, APGA, and ANPP.

One person rightfully said that Buhari had less than 20 ministers, 20 states, and less "big government", and apparantly, did better than the thieves of today.
Good analogy, I commend your sincerity here but wat u should understand: Nigeria was not as complex then like today, economy wasn't as bad as obj met it in 1999, d division and saboteur in the country wasn't this pronounced... Buhari scored well in the area of enforcing discipline though forcefully entrenched not based on ideology or conviction but he enthroned a lot of hates and bigotry which is hunting the country till date
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by edicolove: 9:58am On Jul 13, 2012
This teenager or sycophant who has chosen this GenBuhari user name really thinks we are all teenagers here on NL. In 1983, Nigeria was not in any economic mess. Nigeria was doing very very very very fine. There was nothing that Buhari was supposed to salvage. It was 1 naira to 1 dollar. A ticket to London was N500. A brand new Volkswagen beatle car was N4000. You think we are teenagers here abi?

At that time, i was enjoying free education in school in Bendel state. We were given free books. All the schools were doing fine. Nepa was given us at least 20 hrs of light daily. The only issues where that salaries were delayed sometimes. Back then, we had a timetable for food at home. Eba was considered a poor mans food. There was no wide spread corruption in Nigeria back then. Corruption was mainly with high ranking politicians then. And most of the corrupt high ranking politicians were northerners because they completely dominated the country. Umaro Dikko was the chief of them. My father used to return the balance of money given to him by the government for projects. He didnt even see why he should take it. The governor of Bendel state then was Prof Ambrose Alli. He established the then Bendel state university, now Ambrose Alli University. He was a very honest man and till date, he has not been found to be corrupt in any way. But when the id1ot Buhari took over, this guy was arrested and thrown in prison just like that. After a long time in prison, he fell seriously ill. The government didnt release him until it was really bad. He later died after being released. This man was one of the foremost brain surgeons in Nigeria. A real gem. He left everything he had achieved in the USA to come and serve his country but was cut short by a stup1d sharia infested Buhari.

Buhari was a weak leader who hid behind General Tunde Idaigbon. Buhari had no serious following in the army. That was why as soon as Idiagbon went on Hajj, he was kicked out so easily. The coup detat that ousted him was the easiest in Nigerian history. There was no resistance. The rank and file did not even stand up for him.

When Buhari took over, he showed his northern Islamic agenda when he put Shagari under house arrest and Ekueme in kirikiri prison. He was a true bigot. The worst kind. The same thing he showed in the last 2011 election when he disdainly and disrespectfully refused to campaign in the south east, south south and south west. He only visited Lagos and rode with some okada riders. He arrogantly expected to win the election without reaching to the south of Nigeria. That is the born to rule mentality of the hausa-fulani of Nigeria.

He was the first to support and defend Yerima of Zamfara when Yerima started his campaign of sharia across northern Nigeria. The same campaign boko aram is now running. coincidence? He came out to tell muslims not to vote for non muslims. A true bigot he is. Of course we all remember the dogs and baboons plan for 2015.

Buhari was PTF chairman during the Abacha regime. He was given hundreds of billions to spend. Till today, There is no tangible project from the north to the south that you can point to, where he spent the huge sums of money, yet his sycophants here will tell us he is not corrupt. I am from the Niger Delta and have consistently challenged these sycophants to show me one tangible project in the Niger Delta where PTF spent even 1 billion naira out of the hundreds of billions and no one can show me. When I insist, they go into an outburst and start ranting or insulting me. At the end of the day, they have no evidence of his so called performance. He finally put the icing on the cake when he declared to the whole world that Abacha was not a corrupt man. I cannot even begin to elaborate the corruption of Abacha. Even the inglorious 10 million man march were he squandered money is still fresh in our memory.

Buhari is a typical northern hausa-fulani bigot. They believe that they are born to rule. That is why he cannot even raise prodigies till date to carry on his so called legacy. He wants to rule himself even when he so close to his grave. His mindset is to rule and distribute food to his talakawas. His almajiri army. Thats how the northern leaders think. They will never empower their people. The will never educate them. Ask yourself this sincere question, Buhari was PTF chairman with enormous resources. Did Buhari build a school? Did he build any industry? Did he build any world class hospital? Did he build traning centers? What actually did he do with the PTF money? Do you know how much he could have transformed the almajiris with such enormous resources if he wanted to? The northern farmers have been sponsored thru the years by ADB loans. 80% of ADB loans are channeled to the north. What was Buhari's own contribution to agriculture? Bill gates spent hundreds of millions of dollars fighting polio in the north. What did Buhari in PTF do? Only teenagers will come here on NL to post crap and think we are gullible fools.

I know they have started the Buhari 2015 campaign, but it will fail again. Why? Because of the same reason murtala mohammed failed. Buhari, just like nurtala are Islamic fundamentalists. Their primary goal is to Islamize Nigeria. Nothing more. And Nigeria is way bigger than that now. This is 2012 and the next 3 years is going to be make or mar years for this nation. Mark the spot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Jakumo(m): 10:52am On Jul 13, 2012
You have said it all Edicolove. Nothing needs to be added to your words here, and to your recollection of Nigeria's true history.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984
( - - - - Continued part 2)[/size]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

To cut down on government expenses, the federal work force was cut by 30% and imports for 1984 pegged at 4 billion pounds (mostly on basic foodstuffs, spare parts, and raw materials for local industries), against 14 billion pounds spent in 1983. To ensure that Nigeria remained respectable on the international business world, Buhari committed to honoring Nigeria’s debt payment schedule irrespective of the limited earning potential of Nigeria. In August 1984, Buhari was on one of his meet-the-people nationwide tours, which he began as soon as the administration got on its feet. Everywhere he went, the people embraced him, coming out en mass and ushering him tumultuous cheers and unreserved applause.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 (- - - continued part3)[/size]

In one of his speeches to the people (this one in Owerri), he reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to honoring its debts, the dire economic situation notwithstanding. "The task of this administration is how to persuade Nigerians to understand that for a number of years to come, we would be paying debts, the roads may be long and thorny but we believe that on our shoulders lies the responsibility to save our fatherland from devastation that has resulted from mismanagement" (Newswatch, February 18, 1985).

Buhari could not have been any more correct in his statement above. Assuming Nigeria took no further loans, its breakdown of loan repayments was as follows: 3.9 billion naira ($4.4 billion) in 1985, 3.7 billion naira ($4.19 billion) in 1986, 2.8 billion naira ($3.2 billion) in 1987, until a decrease to 703 million in 1991 (Concord Weekly, May 6, 1985). Nigeria’s precarious financial situation made it impossible for it to finance capital projects and meet up its balance of payment obligations. With oil export pegged at 1.3 million barrels per day by OPEC, borrowing from external sources became necessary. To this effect, Nigeria proposed borrowing 1.795m naira to finance its capital project from the IMF. The patriotism with which General Buhari handled Nigeria’s dealings with the IMF was the highlight and beauty of Buharinomics.

In order to qualify for the loan, IMF gave Nigeria certain conditions which must be met. In 1984 when the naira exchanged for $1.34, the IMF demanded a minimum of 60% devaluation of it. Buhari refused, agreeing only to a "crawling peg"—a mechanism whereby government would realign the currency gradually, forestalling or minimizing economic and social dislocations because of such drastic devaluation of its currency. In addition to the devaluation of the naira, IMF demanded that government took other drastic actions: (a) The government must remove its subsidy on petroleum. (b) It must curtail its expenditure. (c) Government must rationalize its tariff structures. (d) It must put a freeze on its wages. (e) It must put a total end of non-statutory transfers to State governments, (f) Government must at least institute a 30% raise on interest rates—government resisted this because the decline in its revenue earnings and its debt obligations made it almost impossible to raise interest rates without triggering inflation (West Africa, May 14, 1984).

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
[b][size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 (- - - continued part 4)[/size]

The Nigerian government and veteran economists in Nigeria (like Aluko, Onosade, Okigbo, etc) could not make sense of being asked to devalue its currency when Nigeria’s imports were in dollar and its export (fixed quantity of oil) was also in dollar. The implication of devaluation was that Nigeria would pay more to import lesser quantity of goods than it did prior to any devaluation. It would also export the same amount of oil it exported before any devaluation and derive lesser revenue than it received before any devaluation The impacts of it debt payment would have harsher effect on the citizenry if the naira was devalued. This did not make any economic sense to Buhari; it struck him as an insult on the intelligence of the African. Finance Minister Onaolapo Soleye and Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji who led the Nigerian delegation to the last negotiation in Washington were chewed out by US Federal Reserve Chairman, Paul Volcker, for presenting the Nigerian governments rejection of most of these recommendations.

For rejecting the IMF conditions and the loan, the Buhari administration got into the black book of Washington. Already, it had earned the dislike of 10 Downing Street for cutting down Nigeria’s imports from the UK by about 350%. In any case, without the IMF loan, government was still in a bind as to how to finance capital projects and pay for imports, especially spare parts for local industries, food items, etc. At this juncture, the genius and resourcefulness of Buharinomics illuminated to the delight of the African.

First, the administration sent Oil Minister Tam David West to OPEC to seek a raise in the quantity of oil that Nigeria could export. If OPEC agreed, Nigeria would expect to generate extra revenue in the long run from any increase of its oil quota and this would assist tremendously in augmenting the shortfall in the nation’s purse. Professor West came back empty handed—the US and Britain had put pressure on their puppets in OPEC (like Saudi Arabia) to refuse Nigeria’s request.
[/b]

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2012
[b][size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 (- - -continued part 5)
[/size]

To counter OPEC’s bluff, the Buhari administration entered into a $2 billion barter trade agreement with four countries.
Nigeria daily bartered 200,000 barrels of oil as follows:

(a) completely knocked down parts for automobiles from Brazil.

(b) Construction equipment from Italy

(c) Engineering equipment from France, and

(d) Capital goods from Austria.

This barter trade took care of the administration’s need to have borrowed money but it intensified the ill will the US and Britain had for Nigeria.

By bartering this oil, Nigeria was:

(a) solving those needs which the proposed IMF loan was geared toward. Doing so without borrowing or feeling the pains of spending the meager amount generated from its OPEC approved 1.3 billion a day oil export is the stuff an economic wizard is made of.

(b) Britain had been cut off as Nigeria’s major supplier of the goods which the countries in the barter agreement sent to Nigeria.

(c) The US usurious money lenders were denied the chance to suck Nigeria dry through the IMF loan.

(d) American and British oil companies were irate that the oil being bartered would flood the oil market, cutting in on their profits.

(e) The oil being bartered was oil that used to be illegally bunkered before Buhari put illegal oil bunkering artist out of business. For once, an African country had put positive economic mechanism in place to salvage its ailing economy without swallowing IMF’s poison pills.[/b]

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by edicolove: 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
edicolove: This teenager or sycophant who has chosen this GenBuhari user name really thinks we are all teenagers here on NL. In 1983, Nigeria was not in any economic mess. Nigeria was doing very very very very fine. There was nothing that Buhari was supposed to salvage. It was 1 naira to 1 dollar. A ticket to London was N500. A brand new Volkswagen beatle car was N4000. You think we are teenagers here abi?

At that time, i was enjoying free education in school in Bendel state. We were given free books. All the schools were doing fine. Nepa was given us at least 20 hrs of light daily. The only issues where that salaries were delayed sometimes. Back then, we had a timetable for food at home. Eba was considered a poor mans food. There was no wide spread corruption in Nigeria back then. Corruption was mainly with high ranking politicians then. And most of the corrupt high ranking politicians were northerners because they completely dominated the country. Umaro Dikko was the chief of them. My father used to return the balance of money given to him by the government for projects. He didnt even see why he should take it. The governor of Bendel state then was Prof Ambrose Alli. He established the then Bendel state university, now Ambrose Alli University. He was a very honest man and till date, he has not been found to be corrupt in any way. But when the id1ot Buhari took over, this guy was arrested and thrown in prison just like that. After a long time in prison, he fell seriously ill. The government didnt release him until it was really bad. He later died after being released. This man was one of the foremost brain surgeons in Nigeria. A real gem. He left everything he had achieved in the USA to come and serve his country but was cut short by a stup1d sharia infested Buhari.

Buhari was a weak leader who hid behind General Tunde Idaigbon. Buhari had no serious following in the army. That was why as soon as Idiagbon went on Hajj, he was kicked out so easily. The coup detat that ousted him was the easiest in Nigerian history. There was no resistance. The rank and file did not even stand up for him.

When Buhari took over, he showed his northern Islamic agenda when he put Shagari under house arrest and Ekueme in kirikiri prison. He was a true bigot. The worst kind. The same thing he showed in the last 2011 election when he disdainly and disrespectfully refused to campaign in the south east, south south and south west. He only visited Lagos and rode with some okada riders. He arrogantly expected to win the election without reaching to the south of Nigeria. That is the born to rule mentality of the hausa-fulani of Nigeria.

He was the first to support and defend Yerima of Zamfara when Yerima started his campaign of sharia across northern Nigeria. The same campaign boko aram is now running. coincidence? He came out to tell muslims not to vote for non muslims. A true bigot he is. Of course we all remember the dogs and baboons plan for 2015.

Buhari was PTF chairman during the Abacha regime. He was given hundreds of billions to spend. Till today, There is no tangible project from the north to the south that you can point to, where he spent the huge sums of money, yet his sycophants here will tell us he is not corrupt. I am from the Niger Delta and have consistently challenged these sycophants to show me one tangible project in the Niger Delta where PTF spent even 1 billion naira out of the hundreds of billions and no one can show me. When I insist, they go into an outburst and start ranting or insulting me. At the end of the day, they have no evidence of his so called performance. He finally put the icing on the cake when he declared to the whole world that Abacha was not a corrupt man. I cannot even begin to elaborate the corruption of Abacha. Even the inglorious 10 million man march were he squandered money is still fresh in our memory.

Buhari is a typical northern hausa-fulani bigot. They believe that they are born to rule. That is why he cannot even raise prodigies till date to carry on his so called legacy. He wants to rule himself even when he so close to his grave. His mindset is to rule and distribute food to his talakawas. His almajiri army. Thats how the northern leaders think. They will never empower their people. The will never educate them. Ask yourself this sincere question, Buhari was PTF chairman with enormous resources. Did Buhari build a school? Did he build any industry? Did he build any world class hospital? Did he build traning centers? What actually did he do with the PTF money? Do you know how much he could have transformed the almajiris with such enormous resources if he wanted to? The northern farmers have been sponsored thru the years by ADB loans. 80% of ADB loans are channeled to the north. What was Buhari's own contribution to agriculture? Bill gates spent hundreds of millions of dollars fighting polio in the north. What did Buhari in PTF do? Only teenagers will come here on NL to post crap and think we are gullible fools.

I know they have started the Buhari 2015 campaign, but it will fail again. Why? Because of the same reason murtala mohammed failed. Buhari, just like nurtala are Islamic fundamentalists. Their primary goal is to Islamize Nigeria. Nothing more. And Nigeria is way bigger than that now. This is 2012 and the next 3 years is going to be make or mar years for this nation. Mark the spot!

This teenager or sycophant who has chosen this GenBuhari user name really thinks we are all teenagers here on NL. In 1983, Nigeria was not in any economic mess. Nigeria was doing very very very very fine. There was nothing that Buhari was supposed to salvage. It was 1 naira to 1 dollar. A ticket to London was N500. A brand new Volkswagen beatle car was N4000. You think we are teenagers here abi?

1 Like

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by edicolove: 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
edicolove:

2 Likes

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
[size=28pt]Buhari's wife is a Christian[/size]
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 13, 2012
[size=18pt]2nd March 1984 – ITN NEWS
GENERAL BUHARI VISITS YOLA AFTER QUENCHING RELIGIOUS RIOTING THAT LEFT DOZENS DEAD.[/size]
Nigeria's military ruler, Major-General Mohamed Buhari, visited the northeastern Nigerian city of Yola - in Gongola state - February 29 to assess the extent of damage caused by violent communal rioting two days earlier.

The known death toll from the religious disturbances is nearly 140, with at least another 60 persons injured, some critically. Gongola's acting state governor, Colonel Cyril Iweze, blamed the turmoil on fanatical followers of Moslem fundamentalist Muhammadu Marwa Maitatsine's religious sect. Marwa himself was killed in vicious rioting three years ago, when an estimated 4,000 people died.

In disturbances on February 27, the army was eventually called in to quell resistance from thousands of religious fanatics, at least 715 of whom were arrested by security forces.

General Buhari visited the Yola Specialist Hospital during his one-day tour of the gutted city, and also met with the Lamido of Adamawa, Alhaji Mustapha Aliyu, to discuss the situation.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by jamil2(m): 7:08am On Jul 15, 2012
Mr carry go as I am with you now and forever! Haters could move on to the nearest transformer and gives an excellent clasp to it.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by T9ksy(m): 11:11am On Jul 15, 2012
Thanks but no thanks. we shall not be taking up your asinine and puerile advice but rather we shall be waiting for your principal at the next poll when he comes begging/demanding for our votes-then we shall tell him to sling his pho.cking bigoted blood-thirsty hooks. Better still, he should go and hug a wet transformer for all we care.

jamil!:
Mr carry go as I am with you now and forever! Haters could move on to the nearest transformer and gives an excellent clasp to it.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by jamil2(m): 4:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
T9ksy: Thanks but no thanks. we shall not be taking up your asinine and puerile advice but rather we shall be waiting for your principal at the next poll when he comes begging/demanding for our votes-then we shall tell him to sling his pho.cking bigoted blood-thirsty hooks. Better still, he should go and hug a wet transformer for all we care.

Ok Sir I have heard you and for your information your vote isn't needed nor shall a single one from your family. I can see your case is solved.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 20, 2012
smiley
[size=22pt]
Buhari suggests return to gold standard[/size]

The former military head of state insists that linking money to gold would ensure price stability
Article | July 27, 2011 - 4:29am | By Olusola Babarinsa

Former Nigerian military head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari has said that only a return to the use of the gold standard can help governments globally and curtail budget deficits. The gold standard is a monetary system in which the standard economic unit of account is a fixed mass of gold rather than the US Dollar as had obtained since the end of the Second World War.

Buhari, who was the Presidential Candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in the last elections, was speaking at the 2nd World Conference on Riba (interest) holding in Malaysia. He stressed that linking money to gold would ensure “price stability” in the long run.

“For the Islamic economy and for the world, only a return to the gold standard will ensure long term price stability (zero inflation), help governments curtail budget deficits and end fiscal indiscipline,” he said.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/buhari-suggests-return-gold-standard
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 20, 2012
[size=18pt]MUHAMMADU BUHARI: THE UNTIRING PERSONA AT 68[/size]
By thewillnigeria.com

Born on Thursday the 17th December, 1942 in Daura, Katsina state, to a Fulani Chief, Ardo Adamu of Dumurkol, a village near Daura, and Hajiya Zulaihatu, a Hausa woman. He was a Gambo or Leko, as he arrived after the death of his older twin siblings. It is what the Yorubas would refer to as Idowu. That is the story of the parenthood of Major General Muhammadu Yassim Yinusa Buhari, the officer gentleman who, at three critical times, was well positioned to amass wealth for himself illegally but did not.

After attending primary schools at Daura and Mai’adua between 1948 and 1952, followed by a year stint at Katsina model school in 1953 and Katsina Provincial secondary school (now Government college Katsina) between 1956 and 1961; Buhari had a choice of training as a teacher, studying agriculture or joining the Army. He chose the profession of the arms. As a cadet, he was made a sergeant which was an early recognition of his leadership qualities by his superiors.

It was in August 1975 that Muhammadu Buhari first came into national visibility when he was appointed Military Governor of the North Eastern by the Murtala Muhammed’s regime. After the death of the General Murtala Muhammed, the new Lt. General Olusegun Obasanjo government appointed him as the Federal Commissioner for Petroleum resources (March 1976-July 1978) and later, Chairman of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, June 1978-July 1978. It was during his stewardship at the Petroleum ministry that two of the nation’s refineries (Warri and Kaduna) were built.

In 1983, the patriotic fervor of Buhari was rudely put to test when the Chadians, in a mindless expansionist adventure, invaded and occupied 19 islands in Lake Chad within Nigerian territory. As the General Officer Commanding (GOC) the 3rd armored corps, the then Brigadier Muhammadu Buhari successfully carried out a blockade forcing the return of the territories and thereafter pursued the Chadians as far as 50kms into Chadian territory. On an Internet discourse, Major-General (retired) Ishola Williams commented on this military feat thus: “He applied forward defense strategy at its best.”

Major-General Muhammadu Buhari bestrode the nation’s governance when he led the military putsch that overthrew the civilian regime of Alhaji Shehu Shagari. Prior to the take-over, the four-year-incursion of the civilian government had been horrific for Nigerians. The economy had been recklessly mismanaged to the extent that a chieftain of the ruling National Party of Nigeria, Alhaji Umaru Dikko, once asserted that there was no poverty in Nigeria because he had not seen any Nigerian feeding from the baggage dump! In his maiden speech, General Muhammadu Buhari left no one under any illusion that his regime came on a rescue mission from the executive brigandage of the civilian regime. As a last line, he opined: “This generation of Nigerians, and indeed future generations, have no country other than Nigeria. We shall remain here and salvage it together.”

The 20-month era of strong leadership espoused what later became known as ‘Buharinomics’, which simply put is an admixture of frugality, probity, respect for contractual agreements, expunction of all covert or overt attempts at subjugating the Nigerian economy to world powers and above all, economic policy with Nigeria as the center-piece. It is therefore, without any whiff of equivocation to state that the boldest attempt in the last thirty years at alleviating the pains of the teeming masses was during the enactment of Buharinomics. It was not surprising that the inflation rate was lowered by more than 18 points, from 23.2% in 1983 to 5.5% in 1985! The Buhari regime rebuffed all entreaties by IMF and World Bank to devalue the naira, remove subsidies on services and increase pump price on fuel.

It was arduous for the regime to cleanse the mess of the Shagari regime, which was characterized by unprecedented indiscipline –fiscal, institutional and governmental. With the mantra of War Against Indiscipline (WAI), a new direction was charted for Nigerians in ethical behavior in Public places.

With a persona that is hinged on self-abnegation, it was possible to insist on transparency within the polity. A military governor was relieved of his appointment for awarding N163, 000 (one hundred and sixty three thousand naira) contract without due consultation with the state executive council. The preceding politicians that corruptly enriched themselves were prosecuted and given long prison sentences. The former Director of NYSC, Col Peter Obasa and his accountant, Folorunsho Kila were found guilty and sentenced to 21years.

Owing to the damaging effect of currency trafficking outside the Nation’s shores, the Buhari administration decided to change the colors of the currency notes in April 1984. This yielded the desired result as N5Billion excess liquidity was mopped off! As a backlash on this exercise, there was insidious story from a section of the media that the Buhari regime allowed the Emir of Gwandu, Alhaji Jokolo to bring in 53 suitcases during the currecy change, thereby insinuating a case of double standard. Let it be said from the onset, the opinion tenaciously held on to about this incident was what was sold to the unsuspecting Nigerian public by a section of the press.

So much hoodwinked that Buhari's explanation had never been heard!This is what Buhari said about this: "This is a typical case of the press believing what they want to believe. I hope it is not a reflection of the Nigerian society. I hope one day you will find the time to interview the Vice President on this. I understand he was the Customs officer in charge of the Murtala Mohammed airport, perhaps he knows more about it than myself. I have explained this so many times but the press write what they want to write and not what is factual."
Going down the memory lane, he added: "I recall the day in question. We were playing squash with my ADC when his father, the late Emir was returning to the country. He was a well-respected person. I prompted Jokolo to go and receive him even when he had no intention of doing so. By some coincidence his father was returning with my late chief of protocol who was an ambassador in Libya. He returned with his three wives and about 16 children. Everything about him including the handbag of his wives was counted as a suitcase. I explained this myself but nobody believed me."

The Vice-President referred to is Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the man that is now desperately fighting for PDP nomination.
Some months ago when he Alhaji Atiku Abubakar gave inkling into his interest in the nation's presidency, anxious journalists wanted to know from him how he would manage the formidable competition from IBB. He smiled and calmly told them, "You people do not know that my friendship with General Babangida had been for at least ten years before i knew the late General Shehu Musa-Yar'adua."

As an undergraduate, I did a little bit of mathematical induction. Without doubt, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar was very friendly with General IBB (the serving Chief of Army staff) at the time of this 53-suitcase saga. We cannot infer anything yet, it is necessary to delve a little into IBB's subterfuge and fifth-columnist-posturing during the Buhari regime.

During the infamous Nigerian Medical Association (NMA)-induced doctors' strike of 1984/85, Dr Fashakin (a former NMA President in Ife zone) had in an internet discourse, graciously acknowledged the 'logistics' support extended to the ‘fleeing’ NMA executive members by the same Gen. IBB.

Col. Halilu Akilu (as Director military Intelligence) was reporting to Gen IBB as the Chief of Army staff. For inexplicable reason (except for sheer idiocy), Akilu ordered soldiers to invade the 2-park-lane-Apapa residence of the late Sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Sometime ago, General Buhari was cornered and asked specifically about this incident. He said, "I did not order anybody to do this. It was the handiwork of the fifth columnist in our midst."

The Newsprints ordered by Concord Press (owned by Chief MKO Abiola) were seized by the Buhari regime because of infraction of the subsisting importation regulation. On the day (27th August, 1985) the Buhari regime was toppled, an airplane owned by Concord airline ferried General IBB from Minna to Lagos to assume leadership of the Nation. Did that suggest a friendship that facilitated the successful removal of the regime?

Was there a possibility of an alliance by General IBB and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar to embarrass the Buhari regime? I strongly believe so! I therefore make bold to declare that the 53-suitcase issue was a hoax! You are at liberty to hold on to your impression.

Buhari may have his foibles (as all humans do) but what his detractors cannot take away from him is his personal discipline with no avaricious desire for unjust gain. This means he is a man who has succeeded in putting his own self into some form of self -abnegation. Such is the man that can usher in a fresh air from the fouled political atmosphere within the polity. I challenge anyone to point to any assassination or assassination attempt (with the imprimatur of the state) during the Buhari regime. But what happened after his removal? All the succeeding regimes have been guilty of clandestinely eliminating voices of dissent within the polity. Though Gen IBB came smiling at everyone, including the Press; but before 15 months of his reign, a notable journalist had already been ‘parcel-bombed’! We virtually lost count of unresolved state-organized murders during the infamous civilian regime of Baba Iyabo the imperial president. The explanation for the unresolved assassination Chief Bola Ige SAN, the regime's minister of Justice still leaves much to be desired! This spate of murders to settle political scores has, unwittingly or wittingly, been replicated by the state governors. It is a rarity to find a state governor without murderous squads roaming freely for the next assignment to satisfy their sponsors.

It is against this backdrop that Nigerians, I mean concerned Nigerians believe that the next leadership is critical in moving the nation to the next level. It is clearly important that we can no longer operate the culture of government by settlement whereby less than 600 individuals collectively consume 25% of the nation's budget; according to the recent startling statistics by the CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.

Buhari had said he intends to extend the work-hours of Nigerians to 24-7; which means the people should be free to move about at whatever time of the day as they choose. Who is able to do this? It is not what someone reads to us from a speech prepared by a consultant; but from someone whose antecedents bespeak of refusal to pander to the antics of the Breton Woods' institutions to further impoverish our people.

It was a clear attestation of his Spartan lifestyle that the Abacha military regime entrusted the management of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) under his watch. There is no gain saying that PTF literally became the project arm of the government: Drugs supply to hospitals (especially Universities’ medical centers), road projects to hitherto unexplored rural areas clearly attest to his scrupulous assiduity.

What is the state of the republic as we speak? The parlous state of the economy is aptly captured in the fact that for the past eight months, the foreign reserves have been depleted by $8Billion, with the inflation rate as high as 14% and still rising. More worrisome is the depletion of the excess crude account from $22Billion to $470million with no corresponding economy-impacting capital projects to justify the expenditure.

Newton's second law of Motion states that: "Everybody continues in a state of rest or uniform motion unless compelled by an external force." If there is no meaningful intervention from a confirmed patriot, our democracy (or demonstration of craze, apology to Fela Anikulapo-Kuti) is doomed for failure.

It is for these reasons and many more that General Muhammadu Buhari has taken up the gauntlet (through the support of Nigerians across the geo-political divide) to save the polity just one more time. The espousal of the new Nigeria would be dependent on the choice we make in April 2011. The Executive Presidents we have had in the last twelve years have not emerged from their visionary desire for the office but as a result of overbearing superimposition by entrenched interests. That would largely account for the rudderless leadership that had, unfortunately, been foisted on us. On the contrary, Muhammadu Buhari, with his antecedents of transparent and impactful governance, has with again shown uncanny indefatigability in offering himself for the needed rescue operation on the nation. Will this third attempt be the defining moment for the Nigerian nation? We stand at the threshold of history as true greatness beckons!

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Engr. Rotimi Fashakin, 28, Oguntona Crescent, Gbagada, Lagos. Email: rotfash@yahoo.com

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/40741/1/muhammadu-buhari-the-untiring-persona-at-68.html

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 02, 2012
[size=18pt]MUHAMMADU BUHARI: THE UNTIRING PERSONA AT 68[/size]

It was in August 1975 that Muhammadu Buhari first came into national visibility when he was appointed Military Governor of the North Eastern by the Murtala Muhammed’s regime. After the death of the General Murtala Muhammed, the new Lt. General Olusegun Obasanjo government appointed him as the Federal Commissioner for Petroleum resources (March 1976-July 1978) and later, Chairman of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, June 1978-July 1978. It was during his stewardship at the Petroleum ministry that two of the nation’s refineries (Warri and Kaduna) were built.

In 1983, the patriotic fervor of Buhari was rudely put to test when the Chadians, in a mindless expansionist adventure, invaded and occupied 19 islands in Lake Chad within Nigerian territory. As the General Officer Commanding (GOC) the 3rd armored corps, the then Brigadier Muhammadu Buhari successfully carried out a blockade forcing the return of the territories and thereafter pursued the Chadians as far as 50kms into Chadian territory. On an Internet discourse, Major-General (retired) Ishola Williams commented on this military feat thus: “He applied forward defense strategy at its best.”

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 23, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 (- - -continued part 6)[/size]

As far as America and Britain were concerned, there was a price to be paid by this Buhari, who thought he was smart enough not to accept subservience to their authority. To begin with, a London newspaper (The Financial Times) published Nigeria’s barter trade agreement with Brazil (which, in truth, was done in secrecy because Buhari treated some aspects of his economic policy as State secret). The British thought it was going to incite OPEC against Nigeria since OPEC as a body did not support oil bartering. Oil Minister Tam David West, in a press conference, said, “If a nation believes it is part of its strategy for national survival to do this [barter trade], why not?” To assure OPEC that Nigeria was not indulging in barter trade in order to pull out of OPEC, he added ”Our strategy is to stay in OPEC and make its presence felt, and work together on programs that will be for the economic interest of all” (Concord Weekly, May 6, 1985). There is more to this barter trade than time will permit one to detail in this piece. For now, it is worth noting that it was the major reason for which Britain and America wanted the Buhari administration overthrown.

The counter trade showcased Buhari as a visionary. He made America and Britain feel silly and they swore to get him out of office. When Babangida took over, on his maiden speech to the nation he promised to revisit the counter trade agreements. Within two weeks in office, September 17, 1985, he setup a panel to review it and recommend to his administration how to revive the economy without the use of counter trade. Babangida rolled back counter trade at the behest of his imperialist masters and at the detriment of the Nigerian nation and people.

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
IBB overthrew Buhari with support of Abiola

angry
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 08, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 (- - -continued 7th and final part)[/size]

By the time the Buhari administration was overthrown in August of 1985, Buharinomics was beginning to yield dividends. For example, the inflationary rate had fallen from 23.2% in 1983 to 5.5% in 1985.

Nigeria did not regret rejecting the IMF loan because it was meeting its obligation of prompt debt payment and the bartered goods were, to some extent, holding up within the austerity measure which had been in place since the Shagari days.

Food was becoming reasonably available for two reasons:
(a) The emphasis paid to agriculture had resulted in abundant food harvests, especially yam tubers.
(b) The border closure made it impossible for unscrupulous business men to continue smuggling food items into neighboring countries where they sold for twice their value in Nigeria.

Had Buharinomics continued for at least five years, Nigeria would have joined the Asian tigers in economic growth and self reliance. We know that to be true because Babangida came into office and did everything the IMF asked and the Nigerian economy took a dive into the gutter and has not recovered yet.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 15, 2012
Wow it is amazing how all the Buhari haters have steered clear of this thread grin grin

Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 25, 2012
God bless Buhari !
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by jamil2(m): 12:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
GenBuhari: God bless Buhari !

And God bless you too.
Re: Buhari - Nigeria's Head of State 1983-1985 by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2012
Thank you friend.

jamil!:

And God bless you too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho's Bullet Proof With Arabic Inscription On It (Pictures) / Police Capture, Neutralize Ahmed Gulak's Killers (Graphic Pictures) / Kwankwaso's Supporters Burn Their Brooms In Kano After His Defection To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.