Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,997 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk (1715 Views)

How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Save The Stress: Apply For The Uk Visa Anywhere In Nigeria / Pictures Of The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by wowo2: 9:53am On Feb 02, 2012
My fellow Nigerians,

FOREIGNERS working in Britain will be kicked out after five years if they earn less than £31,000 a year.

All law abiding (i.e those that do not cheat the UK System) non-EUs on Tier 1 & 2 should take note.

Rule will apparently not affect the black sheep that know how to cheat and milk their UK; if you know what I mean  grin

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4103164/Immigrants-must-earn-31k-or-go.html
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 10:52am On Feb 02, 2012
wowo2:

My fellow Nigerians,

FOREIGNERS working in Britain will be kicked out after five years if they earn less than £31,000 a year.

All law abiding (i.e those that do not cheat the UK System) non-EUs on Tier 1 & 2 should take note.

Rule will apparently not affect the black sheep that know how to cheat and milk their UK; if you know what I mean  grin

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4103164/Immigrants-must-earn-31k-or-go.html

Just a proposal which i don't think will work
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 02, 2012
OMG! Am about applying for UK study visa. Oh! Great I'll rather study in Canada or the US, Grrrrrr!!!!
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by OmoTier1(m): 9:40pm On Feb 02, 2012
justwise:

I think this will become reality if the conservatives remain in power beyond 2015! But what they seem not to understand is this: By upping the minimum pay per a year to £31,000 companies will be left with very little option than to ship more jobs packages outside of the UK! Also, they will be distorting the Labour market vis-a-viz company career succession plans a great deal as companies will be unable to take in talented graduates of foriegn origin who they may want to groom as expert in their company simply 'cos they cannot afford to pay such a graduate the minimum sums as required by the government.

If the average take home pay per year in the UK is around £26,000 according to the HSE survey, why then would the government want foriegn born to earn £31,000? Does this mean a Masters degree graduate will be unable to get a job in the UK because very few jobs will earn a Master's degree holder, fresh from university a take home yearly pay of £30,000 talkless of £31,000.

If only the government truly knows what is happening with their sensless immigration policy, as many of us are now doing more flying supervising various teams at different sites around the globe as more companies are shipping out jobs outside of the UK as they are not allowed to bring in the right people to take on bulk of the work!
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 02, 2012
Tell em Omo_Tier1:

So many foreigners in the UK. I believe they're jst trying to reduce the no of non EU immigrants. #GBAM
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 11:19pm On Feb 02, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

I think this will become reality if the conservatives remain in power beyond 2015! But what they seem not to understand is this: By upping the minimum pay per a year to £31,000 companies will be left with very little option than to ship more jobs packages outside of the UK! Also, they will be distorting the Labour market vis-a-viz company career succession plans a great deal  as companies will be unable to take in talented graduates of foriegn origin who they may want to groom as expert in their company simply 'cos they cannot afford to pay such a graduate the minimum sums as required by the government.

If the average take home pay per year in the UK is around £26,000 according to the HSE survey, why then would the government want foriegn born to earn £31,000? Does this mean a Masters degree graduate will be unable to get a job in the UK because very few jobs will earn a Master's degree holder, fresh from university a take home yearly pay of £30,000 talkless of £31,000.

If only the government truly knows what is happening with their sensless immigration policy, as many of us are now doing more flying supervising various teams at different sites around the globe as more companies are shipping out jobs outside of the UK as they are not allowed to bring in the right people to take on bulk of the work!

It will fail flat just as many of their policies have so far, no company will be forced to pay a fresh employee that much and remain in business in this harsh economic situation, or later it will be watered down to almost nothing, its just a proposal that may never see the light of the day.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 02, 2012
Any one who believes news from a rag newspaper like the Sun will believe anything. I don't believe this report, especially if you recall the Business Secretary position when the idea was first bandied around last year. The government of the day will often play to the gallery, Joe Bloggs believes the reason he can't get a job or a council flat is because of non-eu migration but everyone with an ounce of sense knows that the majority of immigrants are from the balkans these days - these people can enter the UK and go straight on to the dole queue, yet the foggies at Westminster will have us believe otherwise.

My point, the Sun is just selling papers.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by OmoTier1(m): 11:42pm On Feb 02, 2012
naijababe:

Any one who believes news from a rag newspaper like the Sun will believe anything. I don't believe this report, especially if you recall the Business Secretary position when the idea was first bandied around last year. The government of the day will often play to the gallery, Joe Bloggs believes the reason he can't get a job or a council flat is because of non-eu migration but everyone with an ounce of sense knows that the majority of immigrants are from the balkans these days - these people can enter the UK and go straight on to the dole queue, yet the foggies at Westminster will have us believe otherwise.

This news was on BBC Radio five live drive with Peter Alan this evening and I heard them discussing it with one professor on my way back from work. The prof was kinda crossed with the government's inability to draw a line between immigration based on numbers and immigration based on economics.

@justwise,
I do not agree that this proposal will end as just a proposal. Already the governemnt has a strict salary requirements for Tier2 work permit visas in that;
1. You must earn above £20,000/year AND
2. You must earn atleast the minimum per hour as specified in the Code of Practice for your given profession.

The second part of it is where many people get caught out in that by the time you calculate the minimum specified in the SoC, your annual salary will be in the range of £27,000 for most core Engineering or Scientific jobs and even for jobs that ordinarily will attract a far lower yearly salary in the UK. Chemical Engineers annual salary when calculated using the per hour requirements results in an annual Salary of £36,000 per year! Though the Society of Chemical Engineers claimed the average starting Salary for Chemical Engineers in the UK is just £36,000 hence the government pegged it at that amount. Same goes for most other professions.

Even now with the Skills Shortage list, unlike in the past, the government now also require that the employee earn above the minimum as specified in the SoC otherwise you get 50points but your Certificate of Sponsorship will be invalid!

In a nutshell, I think towards the end of this conservative government's parliamentary life time, they will implement more strigent immigration policy just to get the attention of the British public. Like you know, the conservatives only wins election these days by fear mongering!!
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 11:51pm On Feb 02, 2012
naijababe:

Its reported in BBC as well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16850563, i see it as one of those political rants though.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 11:56pm On Feb 02, 2012
@Omo_Tier1

Sorry the system blocked your ID, have reported it to the admin.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 03, 2012
justwise:

Its reported in BBC as well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16850563, i see it as one of those political rants though.

Read your link and some of the comments too, yep the first 20 do not support the lopsided position of the government. Wait till the next national election and watch the headlines change
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 12:11am On Feb 03, 2012
naijababe:

Read your link and some of the comments too, yep the first 20 do not support the lopsided position of the government. Wait till the next national election and watch the headlines change

This government will not win next election, they won this with ant-immigration and promises of better economy but they have failed in both, unemployment figure has gone up, immigration figure has gone up, they have gone back to many promises they made before the election.

Surely many comments in that link tells you how angry people feel about this proposal, only in the Sun i read couple of people supporting it.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by OmoTier1(m): 12:26am On Feb 03, 2012
Tory remain what they are: Fear mongers, lacks depth and substance! Listening to them every day on tv and radios blaming the unemployment figures on more people coming into the country makes me think the Tory government is a big joke! Now they keep b.anging about this figure of every 100 foriegn immigrant that comes in 23Brits are out of job, but they fail to ask the question why those 23Brits are out of job!

I had a chat recently with one of my Managers and He told me He was recruiting for five positions and for more than a year He has been able to recruit only 2people simply because of the over 180 resumes submitted to him, more than half were very unsuitable and didnt even meet the basic requirement to progress them to interview stage!

Should the government go the way of Austrailia and the US, it might as well say bye bye to its competitive skilled labour market as people would rather move to EU and operate from Germany, France, Brusells and Holland than go through the lengthy period of waiting on queue for their application to be accesed by a professional body before they are recommended to the HO for approval of CoS.

The Tory government seems to claim that immigrant contribute far less to the UK economy than they take from it, (something that is completely untrue), but yet again, they have stiffled most immigrant ambition of growing their businesses within the UK leaving them with very little option than to try and gain employment in companies rather than starting up their own small innovative firms!
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by OmoTier1(m): 12:30am On Feb 03, 2012
justwise:

This government will not win next election, they won this with ant-immigration and promises of better economy but they have failed in both, unemployment figure has gone up, immigration figure has gone up, they have gone back to many promises they made before the election.

Surely many comments in that link tells you how angry people feel about this proposal, only in the Sun i read couple of people supporting it.
I guess the sad reality is that the current Labour leadership lacks focus and have no real idealogy the British public can buy into! Just take a look at Ed Milliband, does He come across to you as someone who can win an election for a PM in the UK? Also, since the UK uses the first past the post system where PM's easily get their mandate from the total number of MPs get elected more than any other party's, the likelihood of a Tory/BNP forming the next government seems REAL
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by tpia5: 2:23am On Feb 03, 2012
i dont understand the logistics of this but it seems calculated to make people panic.

e go better- lord have mercy.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by imperiouxx(m): 5:17am On Feb 03, 2012
wowo2:

My fellow Nigerians,

UK with their daily wahala sha! undecided undecided
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 03, 2012
justwise:

You'll be surprised; voters apathy reigns supreme with the the number of voters going down every election. Labour leadership is lacklustre at best and unless things change the Tories will win due to non-credible opposition. (This is what got Dubya his second term remember)

Omo_Tier1:

I guess the sad reality is that the current Labour leadership lacks focus and have no real idealogy the British public can buy into! Just take a look at Ed Milliband, does He come across to you as someone who can win an election for a PM in the UK? Also, since the UK uses the first past the post system where PM's easily get their mandate from the total number of MPs get elected more than any other party's, the likelihood of a Tory/BNP forming the next government seems REAL

That is very unlikely, however, nothing is impossible in politics. I hope to sunbathing in Lagos when this happens
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by justwise(m): 11:46am On Feb 03, 2012
naijababe:

You'll be surprised; voters apathy reigns supreme with the the number of voters going down every election. Labour leadership is lacklustre at best and unless things change the Tories will win due to non-credible opposition. (This is what got Dubya his second term remember)

That is very unlikely, however, nothing is impossible in politics. I hope to sunbathing in Lagos when this happens

Ed Miliband doesn't have the likeability factor, his elder brother has the charm and more of a spin-doctor than he is, i was gutted when he won the labour leadership election. I hope he get replaced before next election to give labour a good chance.
Re: Non-EUs No Longer Wanted In The Uk by wowo2: 4:20pm On Feb 03, 2012
justwise :

I see the settlement rules changing - not just abruptly but very many times over - so people can no longer automatically qualify for settlement after 5 yrs. A first step is to remove as many non-EUs as possible once their temporary or limited stay expires. This idea has been on the govt's table for a long time.

They knew the changes of April 6, 2011 wouldnt affect immigration stats much (EU accounts for about 80%).  So, damn the economy; aim is to be able to tout during the next election campaign, a high emigration of the recent immigrants allowed in by the previous labour govt.

(1) (Reply)

20 Photos That Look Fake, But They Are Actually Taken In Real Life / Top Attractions In Trinidad And Tobago / I Want To Ship From New York To Nigeria(asaba) Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.