Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence (3744 Views)

PDP Governors Hold Emergency Meeting Over Wike’s Removal / Seun Kuti Goes Hard On Oby Ezekwesili Over Al Jazeera Interview / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by mukina2: 9:12am On Feb 03, 2012
Traditional rulers from the northern part of the country, who met in Kaduna on Tuesday, have denied meeting over the death sentence passed on the former Chief Security Officer to late Gen. Sani Abacha, Major Hamza Al-Mustapha, by a Lagos High Court.

The emirs said on Thursday that there was no iota of truth in the insinuation that they met to deliberate on the conviction of Al-Mustapha for the murder of Alhaja Kudirat Abiola.

It will be recalled that a Lagos High Court had sentenced Al-Mustapha and Lateef Shofolahan to death for the murder of Kudirat, who was the wife of the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, Chief Moshood Abiola.

The Emirs, who reacted through the Emir of Kazaure, Dr. Najib Hussaini Adamu, debunked the insinuations in a section of the media that they met over the plight of Al-Mustapha.

He described the insinuation as “crude, false and uncharitable.”

In a statement in Abuja, Adamu confirmed that the emirs actually met in Kaduna, but insisted that the meeting had nothing to do with the conviction of Al-Mustapha.

He said the Kaduna meeting had been fixed several days before the court delivered its judgment on Al-Mustapha.

He explained that the meeting was called to deliberate on the frequent and disturbing crises in the northern part of the country.

He said, “In the first instance, this meeting was called 10 days before the judgment was given. The day the court convicted him was the day of the arrival of the Emirs and Chiefs. How could the issue be on our agenda?”

http://www.punchng.com/news/emirs-deny-meeting-over-al-mustapha/
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by nasty45(m): 9:18am On Feb 03, 2012
Na ly jor.wu de wan deceive.so it's only d northern crisis that they wr discussin for 5hrs?just one item on the agenda.wt of other items?STUPID MALLAMS
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by bulksms247(m): 9:27am On Feb 03, 2012
Dis goats with no brains, do de think they can deceive us. Am waiting 2 hear de last chapter of the Almustapha film show, if he goes free. Then everyone should consider crime cause it pays
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by Acidosis(m): 9:28am On Feb 03, 2012
whatever . .
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by BetaThings: 10:04am On Feb 03, 2012
nasty45:

Na ly jor.wu de wan deceive.so it's only d northern crisis that they wr discussin for 5hrs?just one item on the agenda.wt of other items?silly MALLAMS
Crisis. Killing of innocents, people relocating to other areas etc
It can take more than 24 hours to discuss
CBN MPC takes 2 days

bulksms247:

Dis goats with no brains, do de think they can deceive us. Am waiting 2 hear de last chapter of the Almustapha film show, if he goes free. Then everyone should consider crime cause it pays
Noted.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by muhsin(m): 11:49am On Feb 03, 2012
I know this; I never believed with the other crap. But you can't help--let the ignorants spew their nonsense.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by executinal(m): 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
ok lets watch the next step for Al-mustapha
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by beackyBenneth: 3:12pm On Feb 03, 2012
Presidential pardon is waiting for him or have you forgotting that we are in Nigeria again. abeg make i pass joooo
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by solihu(m): 3:35pm On Feb 03, 2012
Unfortunately, the cyber oracles/soothsayers won't beleive you. Your side of the story has been noted.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by juman(m): 5:08pm On Feb 03, 2012
The traditional leaders across the country represent themselves not their subjects.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by kawkab: 11:23pm On Feb 03, 2012
Who do they think they are deceiving.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by MeAboki(m): 11:51pm On Feb 03, 2012
beackyBenneth:

Presidential pardon is waiting for him or have you forgotting that we are in Nigeria again. abeg make i pass joooo

Why not, after-all that would amount to reciprocity, I seem to recall one Ojukwu being pardoned by a Shagari and also one Aremu being plucked from the gates of from hell straight to Aso Rock by an IBB, the latter being rejected by his own ppl but now you wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

Continue with your conspiracy theories, it won't shake us.

If Mustapha was guilty so be it; but by all indications he didn't get a fair trial, the primary witness against him, sgt Rogers, later withdrew his evidence claiming it was forced upon him under duress; yet that wasn't enough because those keen on his conviction want him guilty by all means with or without convincing evidence.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by vanstanzy(m): 9:31am On Feb 04, 2012
mukina2:

http://www.punchng.com/news/emirs-deny-meeting-over-al-mustapha/

THIS SO-CALLED NORTHERN ELDERS ARE BIASED TO THE CORE. IS LATEEF SHOFOLAHAN NOT A SOUTH-WESTERNER? WHY IS AFENIFERE OR THE OPC NOT CONVERGING ON HIS BEHALF? COS THEY KNOW THAT THE LAW HAS TO FOLLOW ITS DUE COURSE, BUT FOR THE NORTHERNS, NO. THEY HAVE TO PLEAD ON AL-MUSTAPHA AND ABUL QAQA'S CASE FOR THEIR RELEASE. KNOWING VERY WELL WHAT THIS TWO DEMON-POSSESSED HUMANS DID (COMMIT GENOCIDE LIKE RAMPAGING BEASTS).
THIS'S SO VERY UNFAIR. WHAT MANNER OF ELDER'S ARE THESE ANYWAY? I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF INSULTING ELDER'S, I HAVE TO SAY THAT THESE ARE THE TYPE OF ELDER'S THAT WILL LOOK-ON WHILE A NANNY-GOAT KEEPS ON BLEATING AND GIVES BIRTH WHILE ITS TIED.
I PITY THE NORTH IF THESE ARE THE BEST THEY HAVE TO OFFER.
IF I WERE MR PRESIDENT, I WOULD MAKE LIKE I RELEASED THESE GOON& I SEND SECRET SERVICE TO SECRETLY MURDER THEM, SERIOUSLY.
TELLING US THEY DIDNT MEET COS OF AL MUSTAPHA'S CONVICTION. THOSE LYING HEAPS, WHO ARE THEY FOOLING?
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by vanstanzy(m): 11:23am On Feb 04, 2012
Me_Aboki:

Why not, after-all that would amount to reciprocity, I seem to recall one Ojukwu being pardoned by a Shagari and also one Aremu being plucked from the gates of from hell straight to Aso Rock by an IBB, the latter being rejected by his own ppl but now you wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

Continue with your conspiracy theories, it won't shake us.

If Mustapha was guilty so be it; but by all indications he didn't get a fair trial, the primary witness against him, sgt Rogers, later withdrew his evidence claiming it was forced upon him under duress; yet that wasn't enough because those keen on his conviction want him guilty by all means with or without convincing evidence.

@Me-aboki
Am really so disappointed in u. If it were ur Mother& Father Al mustapha killed, u would slaughter him like a ram, thats jugding from ur heartless hausa-fulani temperament.
These men u sighted as examples shows that u are really an aboki (oop sorry, no inslt intended). Firstly, General Ojukwu was fighting for the liberation of his people. Secondly, they were in a war situation that requires u to kill or be killed, nether were they killing "innocent" civilians. Granting him a presidential pardon wasnt overrated.
Now to General Aremu Obasanjo, we all know he was framed by ur brother, the then maximum ruler Sani Abacha, cos he viewed him (OBJ)as a threat to his evil political ambition. IBB only installed OBJ (let me use ur lame words) to appease the south-west for annulling MKO's election and thus wrongfully denying them. Remember then OBJ did not hack down innocent civilians like those twin WIZARDS called AL MUSTAPHA AND ABUL QAQA.
Like i said before& i'll continue saying, "AM DISAPPOINTED IN NOT ONLY U, BUT ALL CORE NORTHERNERS" sad sad sad
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by nagoma(m): 1:59am On Feb 05, 2012
Nigeria is probably the most forgiving country in the World,
On The 11th September 1963 the Court in Lagos under the leadership of Justice Sowemimo concluded the trial of Chief Obafemi Awolowo and others for their conspiracy to remove the democratic government of an independent Nigeria by force. Awolowo was found guilty.
Before the sentence was read by Justice Sowemimo, Chief Awolowo in his speech complained that ( 1) that the trial took too long ( a few weeks - in his own words) . Classical Awo, he said he had rendered valuable service to Nigeria for 27 years and pointed out his fight against feudal system in the north, he was concerned that " the country would lose the invaluable service he would render within the period of his prison service". Hear the omnipotent Awo!

Justice Sowemimo before passing the sentence said a few words addressing Chief Awolowo which included   " you mention about delay in giving judgement, but I wish you were in my position and had to read some of these things ; 800 pages of evidence and notes of submission 600 pages. The judge also said to Awo " I do not see what useful purpose a sentence of inimprisonmentill do to you - but to get yourself involved in this is enough shame , but this is a political crime, " chief Awolowo was sentenced on 3 counts 1) treasonable felony contrary to section41(b) of the criminal code -10 years imprisonment with hard labour. 2ndNDount  conspiracy to commit felony 5 years in prison I.H.L. 3rd count Conspiracy to effect unlawful purpose 2 years in prison and the sentences were to run concurrently. All of us know that Awolowo was let out of Prison pardoned and made a Minister of the federal republic by Gowon in 1966. I will if there is a need go on to talk about , the person given to Gowon and to Obasanjo for a very similar offences by Shagari and abdussalam Abubakar respectively and also talk about the biggest person given by Shagari to Ojukwu after a rebellion and plunging the nation into war. Ojukwu also became a politician and his party candidature to be a president of Nigeria was tolerated. We are watching to see a different scenario - just because this time the leading  criminal ( as decided by the lagoLagosrt was not Yoruba and therefore sympathy cannot be expected.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by aljharem(m): 2:18am On Feb 05, 2012
nagoma:

Nigeria is probably the most forgiving country in the World,
On The 11th September 1963 the Court in Lagos under the leadership of Justice Sowemimo concluded the trial of Chief Obafemi Awolowo and others for their conspiracy to remove the democratic government of an independent Nigeria by force. Awolowo was found guilty.
Before the sentence was read by Justice Sowemimo, Chief Awolowo in his speech complained that ( 1) that the trial took too long ( a few weeks - in his own words) . Classical Awo, he said he had rendered valuable service to Nigeria for 27 years and pointed out his fight against feudal system in the north, he was concerned that " the country would lose the invaluable service he would render within the period of his prison service". Hear the omnipotent Awo!

Justice Sowemimo before passing the sentence said a few words addressing Chief Awolowo which included   " you mention about delay in giving judgement, but I wish you were in my position and had to read some of these things ; 800 pages of evidence and notes of submission 600 pages. The judge also said to Awo " I do not see what useful purpose a sentence of inimprisonmentill do to you - but to get yourself involved in this is enough shame , but this is a political crime, " chief Awolowo was sentenced on 3 counts 1) treasonable felony contrary to section41(b) of the criminal code -10 years imprisonment with hard labour. 2ndNDount  conspiracy to commit felony 5 years in prison I.H.L. 3rd count Conspiracy to effect unlawful purpose 2 years in prison and the sentences were to run concurrently. All of us know that Awolowo was let out of Prison pardoned and made a Minister of the federal republic by Gowon in 1966. I will if there is a need go on to talk about , the person given to Gowon and to Obasanjo for a very similar offences by Shagari and abdussalam Abubakar respectively and also talk about the biggest person given by Shagari to Ojukwu after a rebellion and plunging the nation into war. Ojukwu also became a politician and his party candidature to be a president of Nigeria was tolerated. We are watching to see a different scenario - just because this time the leading  criminal ( as decided by the lagoLagosrt was not Yoruba and therefore sympathy cannot be expected.

Interesting

1. Awolowo was let out because he was needed to pacify the west for the war

2. Ojukwu was pardon to pacify the east after a bloody war ( It is only fair)

3. Both Awolowo and Ojukwu were leaders I mean topmost in their respective region same with Saro wiwa that is even why Ogoni people would not allow a single drop of oil to be collected from their land today. Because they felt cheated and the same tribalism claim by Al-Mustapha is their talk as well.

4. Al-mustapha was judged irrespective of his ethnicity or anything because if it is so then  Shofolahan shoudl not be their. At least that is what I believe

5. Making it Al-mustapha case alone is not good because he did not kill them alone he had an accomplice.

6. They can ALWAYS APPEAL which they have done so the sentence is not final. That is why I don't understand what the anger is all about.

7. If we start talking of Justice then starting from Obj, IBB, Nzeribe, Edwin clark, Danjuma etc will all be sentence to death immediately.
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by nagoma(m): 9:22am On Feb 05, 2012
Al - Mustapha's judicial lynching is a transferred aggression for Abacha's crime and since Abacha was killed by the friends of Nadeco and obasanjo brought out from prison anointed and crowned as the president of Nigeria , one would think that considerable regret has been shown on behalf of the military who annulled Abiola's election and also the appeasement of the those people who believed they were the ones aggrieved, all these for peace. But they believe that all of us non S/westerners who went out to line up in the option A4 sun  and actually cast our vote for Abiola and against Tofa were not Sicerely in our deception and action and must have all been involved in annulling the election of a great Nigerian whom they saw as a Yoruba son only and not the son of other Nigerians.
I do not see the logic of saying that if the premier of western region or a military Head of State or a rebel leader and warlord commit heinous political crime they can be pardoned but if a serving major carried out a politically motivated order leading a criminal act he cannot be forgiven , especially if he had people or a person from another tribe also working with him!! This argument is simply hilarious 
Re: Northern Monarchs Deny Meeting Over Al-mustapha's Death Sentence by aljharem(m): 1:39pm On Feb 05, 2012
nagoma:

Al - Mustapha's judicial lynching is a transferred aggression for Abacha's crime and since Abacha was killed by the friends of Nadeco and obasanjo brought out from prison anointed and crowned as the president of Nigeria , one would think that considerable regret has been shown on behalf of the military who annulled Abiola's election and also the appeasement of the those people who believed they were the ones aggrieved, all these for peace. But they believe that all of us non S/westerners who went out to line up in the option A4 sun  and actually cast our vote for Abiola and against Tofa were not Sicerely in our deception and action and must have all been involved in annulling the election of a great Nigerian whom they saw as a Yoruba son only and not the son of other Nigerians.
I do not see the logic of saying that if the premier of western region or a military Head of State or a rebel leader and warlord commit heinous political crime they can be pardoned but if a serving major carried out a politically motivated order leading a criminal act he cannot be forgiven , especially if he had people or a person from another tribe also working with him!! This argument is simply hilarious 

Hmmm abiola was not a yoruba son but won his election by Nigerians, it was not only yorubas that voted from him thus he was not going to be yoruba president.

2 I suppose he could be pardon as you suggested thus that is why he is appealing. It would have been a totally different case if the court decision was absolute.

3. Again lets not look at things ethnically. The reason for the pardon of Ojukwu was valid if not the Igbos would have nothing to do with Nigeria today. If we want them to fell as part of Nigeria, as part of our brothers, then we all have to make some sacrifices.

Lets hope the Federal court grant them the appeal. Allah is all knowing and we as men have no wisdom over him lets just hope for the best. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of Nigeria's Richest Men Of 2011 And Their Networth / ADAMAWA GUBER: Ribadu Fails To Register In PDP, Beats A Hasty Retreat. / Breaking:governor Fayemi Campaign Office Set On Fire By Thugs In Ado(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.