Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,732 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

The Maxima Thread - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Maxima Thread (9409 Views)

SOLD.Very Clean,neat,fantastic Nissan Maxima 3.5se 4 Sale!!!!850k last price!!! / 2006 Nissan Maxima Se / The Camry Vs The Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 11:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
Hi guys, how have u all been? I'm sorry for abandoning my own thread, but I've been inundated with work lately and couldn't be patient enough to search for this thread.
I eventually got rid of my DTC P1320 by replacing coil number 4. Decided to listen to the advice u guys gave, and it paid off. Thanks all for ur contributions.

Miroslav klose: Bookmarked.

Im getting a 2001 tomorrow.

guys hope u visit this thread more often

Welcome to the Maxima family, I hope u enjoy ur car.
Post a photo of your baby when u get it. Cheers.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 8:28am On Mar 24, 2012
Thinking of changing my headlights to the stock 2003 model with HIDs. Does anyone know where I can get clean and decent looking ones?
Photo posted below.

Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 10:30am On Mar 24, 2012
sad
ambyzown:
Welcome to the Maxima family, I hope u enjoy ur car.
Post a photo of your baby when u get it. Cheers.
Thanks. I finally joined last monday. But Im having issues with one or two things.
Here are the codes a diagnosis turned out
P 0180 fuel temp sen/circ

P0135 pls refer to vehicle service manual

P0731
P0732 gear one and gear 2 function.

non has been fixed though
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 8:31pm On Mar 24, 2012
What you should be concerned with is the P0135 which is the Air/Fuel mixture sensor code for bank 1 meaning you are burning more fuel than normal;
and of course the 2 transmission codes you have which are caused by one sensor.
Both easily fixable and Im guessing the previous owner sold it because of these issues not knowing they could be resolved easily....I hope you got it at a good price!
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 9:57pm On Mar 24, 2012
my bro, the car consumes fuel badly.

can u pls explain more on the meaning of those codes?
thanks
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 6:29pm On Mar 25, 2012
I have w issues i have to discuss

1) My panel beater checked under the car and found out that the catalyst has been removed. He offered to replace same with a centre pot as against me buying a catalyst for N20,000, with N5000 he would reduce the fuel consumption rate.
Quest: How feasible is this?
Quest: If he did that, do i still need to change the O2 sensor which is already bad?

2) The steering turns at slow speed without the tyres, say when im on rough roads and sometimes on highway. Meaning i have to firmly hold the wheels with both hands whilst driving.
I changed the tyroid end and the inner tyroid attached to the steering rack, changed tyres and did wheel balancing and allignment, yet the issue is still there.
Quest: What do u think is causing the steering to drift? note all suspension are firmly in position.

Expecting response

regards
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 8:13pm On Mar 25, 2012
ambyzown: Thinking of changing my headlights to the stock 2003 model with HIDs. Does anyone know where I can get clean and decent looking ones?
Photo posted below.

I just placed an order for halo led.
looking for smoked bumper lights.

see pic attached

Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 8:10am On Mar 26, 2012
Miroslav klose: I have w issues i have to discuss

1) My panel beater checked under the car and found out that the catalyst has been removed. He offered to replace same with a centre pot as against me buying a catalyst for N20,000, with N5000 he would reduce the fuel consumption rate.
Quest: How feasible is this?
Quest: If he did that, do i still need to change the O2 sensor which is already bad?

regards

A. If your cat has been removed you would have either an 0420 or 0430 code except an oxygen sensor mod had been done at the time of removal, which in your case, I doubt.

B. Be assured that the myth that the catalyst is there for fuel economy is entirely false and is a Nigerian mechanic assumption. The fact is without a catalyst, your car would be more fuel efficient and not the other way round. I dont have the time to go through specifics but Google is your friend.

C. The oxygen sensor that controls fuel delivery is the one on top of the catalyst and not the one below. You have a code for that sensor on bank 1 and that means your fuel economy should be bad.

D. What Nigerian mechanics and panel beaters do with their wrong assumption is to inform you they will replace the hollowed out catalyst with a wire mesh they usually refer to as "indomie" (sigh). What you wont realise is that after a few months, that wire mesh will become clogged and the engine will have to work harder and BURN EVEN MORE FUEL. I have seen this countless times

E. I have removed all 3 catalysts in my car and done an o2 sensor non-fouler mod and got an increase of 90miles on my range on a full tank plus 3mpg gain on the fuel economy readout.

Cheers.
Re: The Maxima Thread by gulfer: 8:38am On Mar 26, 2012
nissparts:

A. If your cat has been removed you would have either an 0420 or 0430 code except an oxygen sensor mod had been done at the time of removal, which in your case, I doubt.

B. Be assured that the myth that the catalyst is there for fuel economy is entirely false and is a Nigerian mechanic assumption. The fact is without a catalyst, your car would be more fuel efficient and not the other way round. I dont have the time to go through specifics but Google is your friend.

C. The oxygen sensor that controls fuel delivery is the one on top of the catalyst and not the one below. You have a code for that sensor on bank 1 and that means your fuel economy should be bad.

D. What Nigerian mechanics and panel beaters do with their wrong assumption is to inform you they will replace the hollowed out catalyst with a wire mesh they usually refer to as "indomie" (sigh). What you wont realise is that after a few months, that wire mesh will become clogged and the engine will have to work harder and BURN EVEN MORE FUEL. I have seen this countless times

E. I have removed all 3 catalysts in my car and done an o2 sensor non-fouler mod and got an increase of 90miles on my range on a full tank plus 3mpg gain on the fuel economy readout.

Cheers.
@Nissparts, can we have more from you on the above? Especially on the thermostats and Cats.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 9:00am On Mar 26, 2012
nissparts:

Cheers.
Thanks for the response. However u need to come down to my level as a layman and not an engineer.

I want u to advise me on what to do now.

Catalyst isn't removed as erroneous told by the panel beater. I went under the car and found something that looks like a mesh round in the frontal part.

My question is this. should i allow the guy install a centre pot for me?
Can i still go ahead to purchase the bad sensor 1 bank 1?
Since u are aware of the situation, kindly advise on what to do to save fuel

cheers
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 9:11am On Mar 26, 2012

is the above correct?
Re: The Maxima Thread by xhero: 9:04am On Mar 27, 2012
Hey guyz! This is an absolutely outstanding thread. I av a 92 model, i need a very good mechanic to take a look @ it for me.does anyone knw any gud mechanic around surulere? And does any1 ave any Idea hw much the engine will cost to purchase?
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 8:04pm On Mar 27, 2012
I ended up changing one of my centre pot today, replacing same with a pot infilled with muffler. i havent driven long distance to confirm the fuel economy but im suspecting that nothing has changed or improved sad the pot removed had nothing in it, just empty
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2012
Sigh, it sometimes gets tiring when you advise someone about issues online and they turn around and do something else. If you noticed, I didnt respond anymore to your questions because you werent actually reading my responses to understand but had already decided what you wanted to do.

You made a statement about looking under your car and seeing your catalyst when in reality your catalyst is inside your exhaust "pot" and cannot be seen except it is opened.
I also told you putting a replacement with the "muffler" you are referring to will end up in a blockage eventually and you will be worse off than when you started. The previous owner who removed it did it for a reason.

But hey, who am I to challenge you? It's your car, have fun.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 9:03pm On Mar 27, 2012
nissparts: Sigh, it sometimes gets tiring when you advise someone about issues online and they turn around and do something else. If you noticed, I didnt respond anymore to your questions because you werent actually reading my responses to understand but had already decided what you wanted to do.

You made a statement about looking under your car and seeing your catalyst when in reality your catalyst is inside your exhaust "pot" and cannot be seen except it is opened.
I also told you putting a replacement with the "muffler" you are referring to will end up in a blockage eventually and you will be worse off than when you started. The previous owner who removed it did it for a reason.

But hey, who am I to challenge you? It's your car, have fun.
U re getting this whole thing wrong. This is really a very unfair comment. If i never wanted advice, i shouldnt have posted the challenge on a public forum. I expected a response from u regarding my earlier post. up till this morning before i gave the chap the money to do it, u never responded. fine its not a paid advice, however its cool to help out.

Now im asking u, whats the solution? cos it seems i just wasted another N7000 on fixing a new pot
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 9:52pm On Mar 27, 2012
Have them remove what was stuffed in the "pot" and change your o2 sensor on bank 1.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 9:56pm On Mar 27, 2012
nissparts: Have them remove what was stuffed in the "pot" and change your o2 sensor on bank 1.
thanks.

but u should have said this before i overzealously wasted 7K that i could have added money to get the sensor
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 10:14pm On Mar 27, 2012
Scroll up mister.
I said this days ago
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2012
nissparts:

[size=18pt][/size]

Cheers.

For avoidance of doubt since it appears I have been wasting my time responding in the first place
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 10:18pm On Mar 27, 2012
nissparts: What you should be concerned with is the P0135 which is the Air/Fuel mixture sensor code for bank 1 meaning you are burning more fuel than normal;
and of course the 2 transmission codes you have which are caused by one sensor.
Both easily fixable and Im guessing the previous owner sold it because of these issues not knowing they could be resolved easily....I hope you got it at a good price!

This one was posted 3 whole days ago.
SMH

Good night Sir.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 10:33pm On Mar 27, 2012
God'll deliver me from wasteful spending IJN.

U didnt talk about the steering issue
Miroslav klose:

2) The steering turns at slow speed without the tyres, say when im on rough roads and sometimes on highway. Meaning i have to firmly hold the wheels with both hands whilst driving.
I changed the tyroid end and the inner tyroid attached to the steering rack, changed tyres and did wheel balancing and allignment, yet the issue is still there.
Quest: What do u think is causing the steering to drift? note all suspension are firmly in position.

Expecting response

regards
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 7:16pm On Mar 29, 2012
Wylout:

I just placed an order for halo led.
looking for smoked bumper lights.

see pic attached

Damn, those look really cool. But, will they illuminate the road as well as the OEM headlights? Won't wanna sacrifice safety for aesthetics.

@nissparts: Thank you for your invaluable advice on this thread. Pls be patient with us if we don't immediately take ur advice, I don't know what it is that always makes one make the wrong decision even when the correct one is staring us in the face....
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 7:23pm On Mar 29, 2012
Miroslav klose: God'll deliver me from wasteful spending IJN.

U didnt talk about the steering issue

Miroslav: It seems you bought a lemon. So many issues with the car. Looks like you didn't check the car properly before purchase. Was it used in Nigeria or tokunbo?
The steering problem could be as a result of a previously undisclosed accident which wasn't properly fixed. I'm assuming both left and right tires are uniform, in good shape and properly inflated. Have you aligned your tires?
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
xhero: Hey guyz! This is an absolutely outstanding thread. I av a 92 model, i need a very good mechanic to take a look @ it for me.does anyone knw any gud mechanic around surulere? And does any1 ave any Idea hw much the engine will cost to purchase?

I used the 1990 model (Gen 3) about 10 years ago and that car served me well. I believe the engine is the VG30. They probably go for between 60-80k depending on condition. I never had to change my engine throughout its use, but frequently had issues with the coil leads and injector nozzles.
Not to forget, I had to change the gearbox twice.
I have a good mechanic in Lagos, but he isn't in surulere. His workshop is in Gbagada.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 8:12pm On Mar 29, 2012
Miroslav klose: sad
Thanks. I finally joined last monday. But Im having issues with one or two things.
Here are the codes a diagnosis turned out
P 0180 fuel temp sen/circ

P0135 pls refer to vehicle service manual

P0731
P0732 gear one and gear 2 function.

non has been fixed though

P0180 represents a malfunction of the fuel temperature sensor or its electrical circuit. This sensor is usually located around the fuel pump/fuel level sensor inside the fuel tank. Access to this sensor is from under the rear passenger seats. Exercise caution when working around flammable materials.

P0135 has already been addressed by nissparts.

P0731 & P0732 are malfunctions relating to the 1st and 2nd gear functions respectively. These malfunctions are detected when the automatic transmission does not shift into 1st and 2nd gear positions as instructed by the transmission control module. This is not caused by electrical malfunctions (open or short circuits) but by mechanical malfunctions such as stuck control valve or improper solenoid valve operation.
The likely causes are Shift solenoid valve B (since both 1st and 2nd gear function malfunctioned) The clutches or the hydraulic control circuit (check for blocked pipes)

Ensure that you are giving your car to a competent mechanic!!! Tell him to check the above items only and nothing else.
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
Actually, the 0731 and 0732 is most likely being caused by a bad TPS.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 11:00pm On Mar 29, 2012
Thanks guys. Apart from the fuel consumption challenge and the steering issue, im got no major challenge with the car. it drives smooth, doesnt make any sound when the car gets into gallop or pot holes, doesnt overheat, everything functioning as default.

I wouldnt mind getting a referral to a good mechanic on nissan thats tested and trusted. Im targetting this saturday 31st to sort out all issues relating to the above codes may be at Ladipo as nisspart advised earlier
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 11:44am On Mar 31, 2012
Miroslav klose: Thanks guys. Apart from the fuel consumption challenge and the steering issue, im got no major challenge with the car. it drives smooth, doesnt make any sound when the car gets into gallop or pot holes, doesnt overheat, everything functioning as default.

When u say u have a fuel consumption challenge, can u give us an idea of your rate of consumption? when u fill the tank, reset the trip counter and tell us what the reading is by the time u get to half tank. Remember this is a 3-liter car and consumes more fuel than u might be used to.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 1:09pm On Mar 31, 2012
nissparts: Actually, the 0731 and 0732 is most likely being caused by a bad TPS.

In as much as I wouldn't want to argue with u over the above because I've seen some really weird stuff as regards automobile eleftronics, I'd like to let u know that my reply was based on repair procedures from the 2000-01 Nissan Maxima fault and service manuals.
That being said, I'm here to learn.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 8:22pm On Mar 31, 2012
ambyzown:

When u say u have a fuel consumption challenge, can u give us an idea of your rate of consumption? when u fill the tank, reset the trip counter and tell us what the reading is by the time u get to half tank. Remember this is a 3-liter car and consumes more fuel than u might be used to.
I think u are right. Im yet to fill the tank and test the 'real' rate of fuel consumption. However from experience in the last few days, i may say that the fuel consumption rate is a bit high. Today i went to Ladipo as advised by nisspart. before leaving the island, i bought 20litres fuel and the fuel gauge rose from 'E'(it was giving the yellow low fuel signal) to a little below the half way line. i,e just about a litre to get to the half way mark exactly. I went to ladipo and returned to the Island and seeing the guage again, it has dropped to a little before the last stroke mark. i.e a little above the last stroke. based on what i saw, i thought in my mind that from island to Ladipo and back to the island, the car consumed about 10 litres for a journey less than 35 kilo metres.
I later bought another 10 litres this evening and the guage took a great move to exactly the half way mark.

Im still not sure of the rate for now
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 8:27pm On Mar 31, 2012
nissparts: Actually, the 0731 and 0732 is most likely being caused by a bad TPS.
I forget to tell u during our last discussion via the mail that the mechanic actually open the gear sump and removed the Gear filter and thoroughly cleaned it. from last friday till today, it never failed. But today, it failed as i was about turning into ladipo. I parked and then started the car gain and all the gears selected at once.

I think u may be right though, but my mechanic's argument is that the scanner could have said bad sensor if the gear fault has to do with sensor, since the scanner never detected sensor, all could be well with it.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 8:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
Miroslav klose:
Take a look at the above image. I took a print out to ladipo and we got the bank 1 sensor 1 as shown in the above image. The sensor is normally plugged into the silencer from under the car, removing the passenger side front tyre. from the above pixs, it the sensor described as B1 S1 by the left hand side.

looking at the sensor after removing the tyre, the 3 cables had already cut(which confirms it to be faulty one out the 4 sensors) Whilst the mechanic was trying to remove the sensor from the silencer, i think some threading pulled out as well, thus making the new sensor not to alling properly even though they are identical and had same numbers.

What i'll do is to get a panel beater to remove the silencer and do a re-threading so as to allow the new sensor allign and work as expected.

regards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2000\01 Peugeot 206 Cc: Priced At 1.3mil / 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V4 Full Options RED & BLACK @2.6m Asking / PRICE REDUCE FOR BULDOG 380k URGENT SALE 08065144130.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.