Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

The Maxima Thread - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Maxima Thread (9391 Views)

SOLD.Very Clean,neat,fantastic Nissan Maxima 3.5se 4 Sale!!!!850k last price!!! / 2006 Nissan Maxima Se / The Camry Vs The Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 8:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
Hi all, I have noticed a lot of Nissan Maxima users post various problems with their cars and very little help received in terms of actual solutions to their problems. I have started this thread in order for us to share experiences and help each other regardless of which generation of maxima you drive. I will begin with mine.
I have previously used the 2nd 3rd and 4th generation maximas and currently own a 5th gen (2001) maxima.
My car's MIL came up about two days ago, and when I performed a scan on it, I got a DTC P1320. i cleared it, and this morning it came up again. Does anyone have past experience of this DTC? If yes, how did you solve your problem?
The car runs well, only that whenever I start the car, it doesn't run smooth for like 5 seconds and then it smoothens out after then.
Below are screen shots from my PC-based diagnostic tool

Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 9:58pm On Feb 07, 2012
Check your coil pack
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 11:02pm On Feb 07, 2012
@ Ambyzown

I think i bought mine a few months before you bought yours===== and mine has been running perfectly.

Though it has a fever now (over heating)
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 8:20am On Feb 08, 2012
nissparts:

Check your coil pack

Which of them should I check, because I don't think all six are malfunctioning. Moreover after about 5secs everything is normal again. You can see from the freeze frame above that engine was idling and vehicle was stationary when the malfunction was detected.
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 8:49am On Feb 08, 2012
Yes I can see that.
Check each one for physical damage or else you wait till you get a specific cylinder code in which case it will either be that coil, injector or spark plug.
By the way, all six coils can malfunction at the same time in which case you'll get a multiple cylinder misfire code.
Note also that you can expect to get a catalyst code soon if that 1320 is not fixed.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 6:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Nissparts: You must be a soothsayer. The ECU threw P0304 today indicating cylinder no. 4 misfire. I think I should begin with the injector nozzle first as that is the cheapest thing to change. I performed a resistance check on all the coils and got a reading of between 2.8 and 3.2ohms on all of them so I guess they are okay. Will post my results tomorrow. Thanks for your input.
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 6:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
Check the plug first.
You are welcome
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 6:22pm On Feb 08, 2012
Already done that. Changed all my spark plugs today.
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 6:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ok!
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 7:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
Wylout:

@ Ambyzown
I think i bought mine a few months before you bought yours===== and mine has been running perfectly.
Though it has a fever now (over heating)

Let me give you my experience with overheating in my maxima.
When I bought the car, it had a single cell radiator and was working just right. However on one of my trips to Auchi, I noticed the engine was sounding strange (like the valves were tapping) and the power output dropped, so I turned off the A/C and slowed down. When I stooped at a nearby town, I noticed that the radiator had cracked and it was losing water from the leak. being that I was in the middle of nowhere, I pressed on after filling the radiator with water and took some extra which I kept refilling the radiator with. Whenever I added water to the radiator and started the engine, steam would shoot out of the radiator and the water would keep bubbling. I was sure my head gaskets were gone so I managed the car back home. The next day I went to my mechanic who suggested I should change the radiator first. After putting in a 2-cell radiator I noticed that the water in the radiator didn't warm up until after about 5mins so we decided to check the thermostat and found it was stuck closed. This revelation prompted us to check the water control valve and also found it faulty. I asked that both be removed and when I drove the car afterwards all was well again. I've been using the car like that and my engine runs cool. My A/C even seems to cool better now. The maximum temperature I have experienced ever since is 96oC.

Why this long story you might ask, Your car's thermostat and water control valve actually constitute a nuisance in out temperate climate if they start getting old. Their only function is to help the engine reach its optimum operating temperature quickly especially in cold weather. Our temperatures here rarely fall below 36oC.
However I must warn you that you risk your engine throwing DTC P1126 on cold days if you remove the thermostat and water control valve.

I hope I have been of help. Cheers.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 10:01am On Feb 09, 2012
Yes you have been of help.
However, the overheating problem did not get outta hand. Mine was as a result of my water pump.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm thinking of doing an upgrade---to a 2004 maxima but the reviews from carcomplaints.com are really scary.
If i can get a 2007 model at a good price--i won't mind. What do you think? Or do i simply go the way of the infiniti ---g35 or g37s?
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 10:29am On Feb 09, 2012
Glad to hear you sorted out your overheating problem cheaply. I wonder why I overlooked the water pump as a culprit. Anyway I'm happy for you. I too have my eyes set on the 6th gen but as you've rightly pointed out, the 04/05 models are a no go area. 07/08 is more like it. I'd say get one when you can afford it. The Infiniti is definitely more expensive that the maxima so if price is the issue here then stick with the maxima. They both sport the same engines although in a different configuration as the G35/37 are rear wheel drive.
Anyway whatever your decision, let us share in your experience. Enjoy your day bro.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 11:13pm On Feb 10, 2012
For those owners of the Gen 5 and 5.5 nissan maximas, you may have noticed thet your car doesn't have a replaceable fuel filter. Chances are that you do not realise there is a filter of sorts attached to the fuel pump in the tank.
It is advisable to have your mechanic take the fuel pump out once a year and clean out the plastic filter. You'll be surprised how much dirt gets into your tank.
Ensure that your mechanic achieves an airtight seal afterwards to avoid triggering an EVAP code.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 11, 2012
ambyzown:

Is the issue resolved?
Re: The Maxima Thread by sultaan(m): 2:08am On Feb 11, 2012
Replace coil on cyl 4 with oem
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 10:21am On Feb 11, 2012
@Costee: Not yet. I wanted to replace the injector nozzle for cylinder no. 4 but my mechanic advised I use injector cleaner first, which I have done yesterday. So I'm gonna drive the car for two days to see if that solves the problem, if not then I'll have to change the offending nozzle.

@Sultaan: I switched the coil pack no. 4 with no. 2 and still got P0304 which means the coil pack isn't the culprit here. Thanks for your suggestions though.
I guess by Tuesday I'll know for sure what the problem is.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 11, 2012
ambyzown, how's the status of your ATF? The Maxima tranny has away of shifting its blame to other issues. Be sure that your ATF is of the recommended specification and that it still retains some redness. You just never know, it just might be the key to the solution. I'm speaking from experience.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 11, 2012
Wylout:

Yes you have been of help.
However, the overheating problem did not get outta hand. Mine was as a result of my water pump.
Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm thinking of doing an upgrade---to a 2004 maxima but the reviews from carcomplaints.com are really scary.
If i can get a 2007 model at a good price--i won't mind. What do you think? Or do i simply go the way of the infiniti ---g35 or g37s?

The main problem with the 6th gen (2004/06) is the tranny valve body. It's only recently that people are coming to terms with that fact, and that explains the many complaints you referred to. Even Nissan issued a  TSB on it only in April last year. However, note that there are two versions of the tranny, namely, the 4speed and the 5speed. The 5speed is the more common and it is the problematic one. The 4speed is free of valve body issues. The 4speed is available on 2004 SL model only. The tranny is the same one used for 5.5 gen. (Maybe Nissan had some leftovers of the 5.5 gens and decided to use it for the SL, the luxury package, of the 6th gen in order to make it more marketable at the time.) So if you must go for a 2004, make sure it's the 4speed tranny type. The gear shift pattern of the 5speed has a Z/2 shape, while that of the 4speed is curly. Yes, the 6.5 gen (2007/08) could also be a safe option. The tranny is CVT and so far no adverse reviews are associated with it. The Infinity G37 is surely a powerful car; but the cash distance between 2004 Max and the G37 is certainly wide. The G37 only came out from 2009.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 10:19pm On Feb 11, 2012
Costee:

The main problem with the 6th gen (2004/06) is the tranny valve body. It's only recently that people are coming to terms with that fact, and that explains the many complaints you referred to. Even Nissan issued a  TSB on it only in April last year. However, note that there are two versions of the tranny, namely, the 4speed and the 5speed. The 5speed is the more common and it is the problematic one. The 4speed is free of valve body issues. The 4speed is available on 2004 SL model only. The tranny is the same one used for 5.5 gen. (Maybe Nissan had some leftovers of the 5.5 gens and decided to use it for the SL, the luxury package, of the 6th gen in order to make it more marketable at the time.) So if you must go for a 2004, make sure it's the 4speed tranny type. The gear shift pattern of the 5speed has a Z/2 shape, while that of the 4speed is curly. Yes, the 6.5 gen (2007/08) could also be a safe option. The tranny is CVT and so far no adverse reviews are associated with it. The Infinity G37 is surely a powerful car; but the cash distance between 2004 Max and the G37 is certainly wide. The G37 only came out from 2009.

@ Costee how much do you think a 4speed tranny of a 2004 max would be?

Re: The Maxima Thread by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 11, 2012
Wylout:

[/quote
Wylout link=topic=865425.msg10175999#msg10175999 date=1328995189:

I don't think you should look beyond 1.5m. See the link below for a 4speed tranny advertised here on NL, though it's not toks:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-726720.0.html

1 Like

Re: The Maxima Thread by pinnochio(m): 11:19pm On Feb 11, 2012
Hey guys, my 1998 maxima is for sale at 400k. Very clean body, engine in perfect condition, alloy wheels and a.c. Pls call me on 08137772249 if interested or post email for pics. Thanks
Re: The Maxima Thread by sultaan(m): 5:38am On Feb 12, 2012
ambyzown:

@Costee: Not yet. I wanted to replace the injector nozzle for cylinder no. 4 but my mechanic advised I use injector cleaner first, which I have done yesterday. So I'm gonna drive the car for two days to see if that solves the problem, if not then I'll have to change the offending nozzle.

@Sultaan: I switched the coil pack no. 4 with no. 2 and still got P0304 which means the coil pack isn't the culprit here. Thanks for your suggestions though.
I guess by Tuesday I'll know for sure what the problem is.

Did you clear the code after switching coil ? you might still be looking at old code,takes a couple of cycle to generate/clear codes.

If you did, swap plugs
Re: The Maxima Thread by nissparts(m): 7:07am On Feb 12, 2012
sultaan:

Did you clear the code after switching coil ? you might still be looking at old code,takes a couple of cycle to generate/clear codes.

If you did, swap plugs

ambyzown:

Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 9:39am On Feb 12, 2012
@Wylout: Is that your max? That green colour is very rare. I'm trying to picture your car with a new set of 18" rims, smoky LED projector headights from nissparts, smoky tinted windows and a shiny new paint job. It would look good ehn?

@Costee: That's invaluable information, I didn't know that. Guess I start seaching for a clean 04 model SL trim. I will miss the sporty feel of the SE though. Thanks for that bit of info.

@Sultaan: Yes I cleared the old codes and turned off the MIL, but it came back on again after about 18miles. Still driving the car with the injector cleaner in the fuel tank. No noticable differences yet. Will keep you all posted.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
@ Ambyzown

Yeah thats my max!!! The green colour was one of the deciding factors when i chose the ride.

You just read my mind on the sporty feel of an SE trim over the SL trim
Re: The Maxima Thread by sultaan(m): 6:46pm On Feb 12, 2012
check voltage at electrical connector/connector pins
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 5:55pm On Mar 02, 2012
Hi all,

I've got a question---

Is the Lower Control Arm Bushing of a Maxima 2000 SE replaceable?
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 9:26pm On Mar 02, 2012
Hi Wylout, I really don't know what you refer to as Lower control arm, but I have two diagrams that show the front axle of the 5th Gen Maxima.
The first diagram shows the stabilizer bushings. if this is what you mean, then yes they are replaceable.
The second diagram shows the Traverse link. if this is what you mean, then sorry, it cannot be replaced. Some mechanics may convince you that it can be replaced, but DO NOT waste your money. Buy a replacement. It costs about N13,000 for the pair (Tokunbo)

1 Share

Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2012
ambyzown:

Hi Wylout, I really don't know what you refer to as Lower control arm, but I have two diagrams that show the front axle of the 5th Gen Maxima.
The first diagram shows the stabilizer bushings. if this is what you mean, then yes they are replaceable.
The second diagram shows the Traverse link. if this is what you mean, then sorry, it cannot be replaced. Some mechanics may convince you that it can be replaced, but DO NOT waste your money. Buy a replacement. It costs about N13,000 for the pair (Tokunbo)

Boss!!!

It is the traverse link as shown in your second diagram. Now the problem is where to buy them. My mechanic truly said i have to replace the entire unit but he said it is 20k for the pair.
Re: The Maxima Thread by ambyzown(m): 10:27pm On Mar 02, 2012
If you can make out time, go to Ladipo market yourself, take ur old traverse link. If u post ur phone number, I can text u my part seller's number. Call him and ask him for the part.
Re: The Maxima Thread by Wylout: 10:35pm On Mar 02, 2012
0803-------7

thank you cheesy
Re: The Maxima Thread by Miroslavklose: 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
Bookmarked.

Im getting a 2001 tomorrow.

guys hope u visit this thread more often

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyota Tundra 5.7L iFORCE SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB LIMITED EDITION Sold! Sold!! Sold!! / Any Idea How Much They Paint Car In Lagos Or Abeokuta? / Check Your Vin # For Free: Jst Paste It And Get It Within30min:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.