Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

The Old Lagos In Pictures - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Old Lagos In Pictures (40787 Views)

Differences Between The Old And New Budget 2016 / Igbo Man's Tomato Company In Lagos In Trouble, Moving To Sokoto. Lol / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 6:46am On Feb 11, 2012
''There is an excellent study of the phenomenon of hunger on a world scale by a Brazilian scientist, Josue de Castro. It incorporates considerable data on the food and health conditions among Africans in their independent pre-colonial state or in societies untouched by capitalist pressures; and it then makes comparisons with colonial conditions.

The study convincingly indicates that African diet was previously more varied, being based on a more diversified agriculture than was possible under colonialism. In terms of specific nutritional deficiencies, those Africans who suffered most under colonialism were those who were brought most fully into the colonial economy: namely, the urban workers.

For the sake of the doubters, several of de Castro’s observations are listed below (occasionally supplemented by other data).

1) Investigators who have studied the nutritional conditions of ‘primitive’ Africans in tropical Africa are unanimous in stating that they show no clinical signs of dietary deficiency. One of the most striking indications of the superiority of indigenous African diet is the magnificent condition of the teeth. One researcher among six ethnic groups in Kenya could not find a single case of tooth decay, not a single deformation of the dental arch. But when those same people were transplanted and put on the ‘civilised’ diet available under colonialism, their teeth began to decay at once.

2) In Egypt, the peasants or fellahin had always suffered from periodic famines, but under colonialism this deteriorated to become chronic hunger. It was the intervention of the British which upset the balance of the peasants’ diet; and comparison with early accounts shows that there was once a much greater variety of legumes and fruits.

3) The kwashiorkor (of the Oxfam posters) is itself noticeable wherever the African’s contact with the European was prolonged. A Committee on Nutrition in the Colonial Empire found a noticeable absence of animal fat and protein in the Gambia. The absence of proteins of good quality is one of the principal contributors to kwashiorkor; and once again comparison with what Europeans saw in the Gambia ever since the 15th century would indicate that a change had come about after the coming of the whites. The Gambia not only grew a variety of food in the early period, but it was stock-raising country where meat was consumed in considerable quantity. Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, cattle hides were sold by the thousands to European buyers every year, and the local population ate the meat. How then could they have suffered from an absence of animal fat!

4) Studies in Equatorial Africa have revealed frequent signs of dietary deficiencies caused by the absence of fresh foods among Africans entering the service of the colonisers. These include, beriberi, rickets and scurvy. Rickets is a typical temperate climate disease, to which lack of sun contributes. But after colonialism had so destroyed the pattern of judicious food consumption in tropical Africa, even the sun was not enough to keep children’s bones straight. As for scurvy, that is so closely identified with the English sailor that he was nicknamed ‘Limey’, from eating limes to prevent scurvy while lacking access to fresh food on long sea voyages. However, a scurvy epidemic broke out in the middle of Tanganyika in the colonial epoch-among workers in the goldfields, whose wages and conditions of work did not permit them to get fresh citrus and other nourishment.

5) In South Africa, white settlement and capitalism transformed African diet from meat and cereal to dependence on mealy-meal (maize). Pellagra or ‘rough skin’ was unknown in South Africa until about 1914. Subsequently, it became a scourge among Africans, because it derives from absence of milk and meat.

6) An official report on Basutoland (now Lesotho) had this to say: ‘According to residents of long-standing, the physique and health of the Basuto today is not what it used to be. Malnutrition is seen in every village, dispensary, school and recruiting office. Mild scurry and subscorbic conditions are not infrequent; pellagra is becoming more and more frequent and lower resistance to disease increasingly apparent. It is becoming generally accepted, too, that the occurrence of leprosy is associated with faulty diet.’''

http://www.marxistsfr.org/subject/africa/rodney-walter/how-europe/ch06.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by OIbhagui(m): 3:58am On Feb 12, 2012
To Rossikk: You come across as a pseudo-intellectual with a deficiency of common sense. There're many like that in Nigerian governments

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 4:22am On Feb 12, 2012
^^You come across as an allergic to truth, colonised dunderhead with nothing upstairs.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by mensdept: 6:06am On Feb 12, 2012
Rossikk:

mens dept said:

It is a ''FACT'' only in you dull, colonised brain.

Infant mortality rate in Nigeria in 1959 was 259 per 1000.

Today that figure is 91 per 1000 and still falling. (Go check UNICEF statistics)

How that translates to whites being ''better leaders of our African world'', only your deluded self can tell us.

Actually, the dull mind you refer to is actually in the streets of Lagos, or probably at a "Pastors" night vigil.
After 50+ years, Nigeria is worse today than it was on Sept 30, 1960. Currently, if the US sends in troops to take over the country, it will be better than what we have today.

Fact

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Marlboro1: 6:48am On Feb 12, 2012
Let us not start the usual fighting here. Fact is there is no way you look at all those old pictures and not feel nostalgic. I have tears running down my cheeks from pride of what we once were. Look at the orderliness, cleanliness, architecture and so on. I even saw pictures of then luxury homes without modern day 9ft walls to swallow them up. Are we better of now than we were on Sept. 30, 1960, for the most part no. Aside from the orderliness, let us consider infrastructure, security, corruption and peaceful coexistence. To the fellow talking about low infant mortality, reason for the lower current numbers has to do with modern advances in medicine not necessarily what we have done as a country. When the colonialists were here, the hospitals were well staffed with quality doctors and nurses and of course the hospitals were properly equiped with the very best the period offered. How are our medical institutions today? May be we can get the answers from our politicians who fly themselves and families out to the western world for treatments.

Thanks for this thread.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by OIbhagui(m): 9:49pm On Feb 12, 2012
As part of the ''The Intellectual Society'' I wish to establish, I was considering if I could get like-minded Nigerians together to debate the merits of staging a plea/gathering at the British High Commission for Britain to please come and re-colonize Nigeria and give the people a fairer deal. I'm sure we would be the better for it in as little as 10 years.

Please help me get people to sign up on Facebook. The goal of the organisation will actually be for each to practice how to give talks to an audience before their big day and to broaden their knowledge base, for a start.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by emiye(m): 2:49am On Feb 13, 2012
I think what those pictures emit is NOSTALGIC feeling to most viewers, not necessarily we should get back to that state. TIMES HAVE CHANGED FOLKS, Ignorance is also bliss .

The pictures were selective, and not a complete or thorough picture of the socio economic status of Lagosians as at then. The biggest difference between now and then is the level of EXPECTATION of the people.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by gulfer: 6:49am On Feb 13, 2012
emiye:

I think what those pictures emit is NOSTALGIC feeling to most viewers, not necessarily we should get back to that state. TIMES HAVE CHANGED FOLKS, Ignorance is also bliss .

The pictures were selective, and not a complete or thorough picture of the socio economic status of Lagosians as at then. The biggest difference between now and then is the level of EXPECTATION of the people.
and OVERBLOATED Population of the state.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 7:32am On Feb 13, 2012
Marlboro 1 said

Let us not start the usual fighting here. Fact is there is no way you look at all those old pictures and not feel nostalgic. I have tears running down my cheeks from pride of what we once were. Look at the orderliness, cleanliness, architecture and so on. I even saw pictures of then luxury homes without modern day 9ft walls to swallow them up. Are we better of now than we were on Sept. 30, 1960, for the most part no. Aside from the orderliness, let us consider infrastructure, security, corruption and peaceful coexistence. To the fellow talking about low infant mortality, reason for the lower current numbers has to do with modern advances in medicine not necessarily what we have done as a country. When the colonialists were here, the hospitals were well staffed with quality doctors and nurses and of course the hospitals were properly equiped with the very best the period offered. How are our medical institutions today? May be we can get the answers from our politicians who fly themselves and families out to the western world for treatments.

Thanks for this thread.

You're ignorant and thoughtless. I just showed you how the British built 52 hospitals for 40 million Nigerians (and 11 for 4,000 whites) which left us with life expectancy of 31 years. (Source) http://www.lifetable.de/data/RileyBib.pdf

AND YOU'RE HERE TALKING RUBBISH??

So if someone builds 52 ''well equipped'' hospitals for 40 million people, how many of those 40 million people exactly do you think were fortunate enough to visit one of those hospitals?  What happened to the great majority who could not? Do you ask yourself that, or are you too dense to engage your brain?

Infant mortality rates fell for the same reason illiteracy fell ie due to increased govt expenditure on health and education after colonial rule.

Attributing declining infant mortality rates to ''advances in modern health'' is the height of ignorance, since mortality rates were just as low in developed nations in those years (1950s) as they are today, showing that such medical milestones had long been reached across the world, and were nothing new, and OUGHT to have been reflected in Nigeria, after 100 years of British rule.

And the only reason you feel ''nostalgic'' is because you're swimming in inferiority complex whereby a white man's SPIT tastes better to you than fresh wine brewed by blacks.

And as I stated earlier, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS we are under black rule, which ensured you finally got the education denied your forebears by the colonialists, with their 7% national literacy rate. Statistically if they were still around, that figure would be maybe 20% today (if that), and not the current 76% that ensures that RIFF RAFF like you can get educated at our expense and come in here to spew slave-minded garbage, showing your education was a big waste of national resources.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 7:42am On Feb 13, 2012
men's dept said

Actually, the dull mind you refer to is actually in the streets of Lagos, or probably at a "Pastors" night vigil.
After 50+ years, Nigeria is worse today than it was on Sept 30, 1960.

Just shut it cos you're spewing utter GARBAGE. Infant mortality rates, life expectancy, per capita income, and literacy rates ARE WHAT WE USE TO MEASURE human development. During colonial rule ALL those indices were a lot WORSE than today, meaning that you're talking UTTER RUBBISH borne of little more than an inferiorized colonial mentality.

Currently, if the US sends in troops to take over the country, it will be better than what we have today. Fact

Why don't you take your ignorant backside to AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ and tell us how wonderful Nigeria will look like in those conditions, you Dumb, white-worshipping slave BABOON.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 7:52am On Feb 13, 2012
OIbagui said

As part of the ''The Intellectual Society'' I wish to establish, I was considering if I could get like-minded Nigerians together to debate the merits of staging a plea/gathering at the British High Commission for Britain to please come and re-colonize Nigeria and give the people a fairer deal. I'm sure we would be the better for it in as little as 10 years.

Please help me get people to sign up on Facebook. The goal of the organisation will actually be for each to practice how to give talks to an audience before their big day and to broaden their knowledge base,  for a start.

NOTHING in colonial history suggests that the whites would perform any better than they did the last time.

The facts speak for themselves. Colonialism was an or.gy of western LOOTING of African resources which makes whatever corruption we see today child's play.

You have little more than a simple ''they are white so must be better'' philosophy to entrap the foolish ones here in your ignoble attempts at inviting the colonial thieves back.  You cannot possibly present any statistics to prove they are better of course. So get lost with your st.upid program and STAY LOST.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by DuduNegro: 8:01am On Feb 13, 2012
So get lost with your st.upid program and STAY LOST.

. . . . ehhnnn shocked Rossikk, how u just hijack my post and begin tell people what to do and where to go? what a rascal! cheesy cheesy
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 8:11am On Feb 13, 2012
^^^Look Dudu Negro, you see, I do not debate on mere sentiment. I draw on facts and statistics from respected sources like UNICEF. These facts show CLEARLY that we have achieved TREMENDOUS PROGRESS as independent nations compared to where we were during colonialism, in virtually every indices of development you care to mention.

You have these guys who have absolutely no idea the level of suffering that occurred during colonialism, coming here to talk rubbish about ''nostalgia'' because they see old pictures of Ikoyi, a place that was even barred to blacks - except servants - under colonialism.

They can't show pictures of anywhere else but Ikoyi of course, because those who lived outside Ikoyi were far too poor and illiterate to afford or use cameras, and why would they even want to snap their wretched surroundings?

So all we have are 1950s pics of Ikoyi and GRA Ibadan and the like, with some goats here  feeling ''nostalgic'' over neighbourhoods which they would never have been allowed to step foot in in the first place.

Ridiculous!!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by rabzy: 6:54am On Feb 14, 2012
@Rosikk

You have said it all. The infrastructure these people met, they razed it to the ground and erected palatial houses for themselves and some spittle for their servants.
They have done their bit, they made us aware that the world has changed, that their own brand of civilization is taking over, they ruled, exploited and we said enough is enough, lets take it from there.

We have not performed well, but at least we are free men.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by birdman(m): 4:50am On Feb 15, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

You are easily impressed by the vanity of Lagos. Those born and raised in it deplore what they live in today compared to what it was before your jjc legs waka enter Lagos.

This coming from a guy waxing poetic about a 1950s Lagos, based on few BW pictures is ironic.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by akinalabi(m): 7:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
My problem with those with 'nostalgic' feelings is that is Nigeria just about Lagos Island?

We need pre independence pictures of Ijebu Ode, Potiskum, Gusau, Yenagoa, Birni Kebbi, Awka etc.

The Brits didnt build Nigeria. The little we have today, we built it ourselves.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 9:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
akinalabi said

My problem with those with 'nostalgic' feelings is that is Nigeria just about Lagos Island?

We need pre independence pictures of Ijebu Ode, Potiskum, Gusau, Yenagoa, Birni Kebbi, Awka etc.

The Brits didnt build Nigeria. The little we have today, we built it ourselves.

Thank you very much, and God bless you. Can you imagine them showing 1950s Ikoyi?? Where the whites reserved for themselves, and using that for their so-called 'nostalgia'?

This is what happens when you don't bother to study your own history, to see what went on in the past. Engaging in useless Oyibo worship even as they made you peasants and slaves on your own land. Go to CALABAR today. Ordinary Calabar! Everywhere you turn, tarred roads, paved streets, flyovers, universities, banks, new structures, proper drainage, you name it. Do you know what Calabar was like in the 1950s under colonialism? Not a single road worthy of the name and most people lived in mud huts. Yes, Mud huts in Calabar. And most people walked around barefoot, wearing rags. Yet go there today and see what's happening, and then you come back and tell me nonsense about 'nostalgia' for what the white man built for himself in Ikoyi.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Good job Rossikk, akinalabi and co. Was taking this threadat face value, enjoying this nostalgic feelings the old pics evoked, but the comments of some 'i want to be recolonized' pple, are really pretty shocking.
Let me try and break it down so that you understand how wack some of your view point are. If you have a wonderful palatial mansion, which , for the sake of argument is half built,not fully functional yet/maybe even dirty. some crooks break in, consigns you living in the toilet and then go ahead to live in your house,beautify the part where he stays, carts away your valuables and enjoys all the goodies in the house while turning you into a boy-boy in your own home will you really say 'it is better that they are there, at least the house has now been decorated, fixed up etc? Seriously?Dudes wake up. The white man you want so desperately to recolonize u stole what was urs, has nothing but contempt for u and some r here chatting @#*. Even if 4 the sake of argument u say r leaders r useless corrupt etc etc they have done more for us, comparatively speaking, and they are our own!
Go and learn a lesson from India and China my friend, they too started off with bad and inept govt, probs, etc but see where they r now, without the help of any white masters or recolonization i might add.
No-one, lest of all the white man, can ever love u more dn u love urself. do not seek to sell ur future for one miserable porridge of soup when the whole pantry belong to you.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by dasparrow: 3:24am On Feb 17, 2012
Rossikk:

^^^Look Dudu Negro, you see, I do not debate on mere sentiment. I draw on facts and statistics from respected sources like UNICEF. These facts show CLEARLY that we have achieved TREMENDOUS PROGRESS as independent nations compared to where we were during colonialism, in virtually every indices of development you care to mention.

You have these guys who have absolutely no idea the level of suffering that occurred during colonialism, coming here to talk rubbish about ''nostalgia'' because they see old pictures of Ikoyi, a place that was even barred to blacks - except servants - under colonialism.

They can't show pictures of anywhere else but Ikoyi of course, because those who lived outside Ikoyi were far too poor and illiterate to afford or use cameras, and why would they even want to snap their wretched surroundings?

So all we have are 1950s pics of Ikoyi and GRA Ibadan and the like, with some goats here  feeling ''nostalgic'' over neighbourhoods which they would never have been allowed to step foot in in the first place.

Ridiculous!!

You have spoken well. Let he who has ears hear. I cannot believe some Nigerians want white people and their ever ready rascist tendencies to come back. I mean, seriously. All the beautiful places whites built in South Africa, how many blacks got to enjoy them? instead, blacks where given curfew, segregation was the norm and what have you. White people do not know how to live peacefully with or amongst black people. That demon of hate and the aura of false belief that they are superior will always rear its ugly head. In fact, 'segregation' is the white man's middle name. Everywhere the whites inhabit in this world, they segregate themselves from the local indigenes and then oppression begins. No matter how bad Nigeria maybe right now, I can still build my house wherever I deem fit without having to deal with 'european only' signs or shut out of living in a specific neighborhood because of my skin complexion. Nigerians who are asking that oyibo come back are uncle toms. I can't believe that in this day and age, we as Africans still don't get it that the average white person hates black people. I guess when they come and take us as slaves for a second time, then maybe our eyes will open.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rossikk(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
dasparrow, very well said. I think part of our problem is we've lost touch with our history as Africans. Most of us don't know that black Africans have had a glorious era in the past in which they invented writing, architecture, medicine, metallurgy, mining of minerals, religion, even speech, and therefore are the true forerunners of human civilization. The interesting thing is that the colonialists knew this all too well, even though they made it their duty to erase such memories from their new African captive nations.

For example, there is the testimony of Lady Flora Lugard, who was a historian, and the wife of Lord Lugard, first British Governor-General of Nigeria.

''Flora Shaw's (alias Lady Flora Lugard) book is an extraordinary look at the history of Africa, which she gathered from countless sources, and one would imagine a great deal of it came from the British Library and from the archives of The Times of London, for whom she had for many years been the Foreign Political Correspondent.

She had always been known to be an intensive researcher into her subject matter, and one wonders at the months and probably years she put into this undertaking, which became the reference work for so many future books on Africa. This book was first published 100 years ago showing the detail and descriptive power, and the greatness that Africa once was. Lady Lugard argues that:

"When the history of Negroland comes to be written in detail, it may be found that the kingdoms lying towards the eastern end of Sudan (classical home of Ancient Ethiopians) were the home of races who inspired, rather than of races who received, the tradition of civilization associated for us with the name of ancient Egypt. For they cover on either side of the Upper Nile between the latitudes of ten degrees and seventeen degrees, territories in which are found monuments more ancient than the oldest Egyptian monuments. If this should prove to be the case and civilized world be forced to recognize in a black people the fount of its original enlightenment, it may happen that we shall have to revise entirely our view of the black races, and regard those who now exist as the decadent representatives of an almost forgotten era, rather than as the embryonic possibility of an era yet to come."

"The fame of the ancient Ethiopians (ancient Kushites) was widespread in ancient history. Herodotus described them as the tallest, most beautiful and long-lived of the human races, and before Herodotus, Homer, in even more flattering language, described them as the most just of men, the favorites of the gods. The annals of all the great early nations of Asia Minor are full of them. The Mosaic records allude to them frequently; but while they are described as the most powerful, the most just, and the most beautiful of the human race, they are constantly spoken of as Black, and there seems to be no other conclusion to be drawn than at that remote period of history, the leading race of the Western World was a Black race."''

Lady Lugard/Flora Shaw Lugard, Asa G. Hilliard, III, A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria, Black Classic Press (1996)

So, the colonialists knew very well the history of Africans. The question is when will we finally wake up to that magnificent record of achievement and finally take our rightful place in the comity of nations?

When do we, including our leaders, finally shake off our colomentality and stand up to be counted?

The ancestors are watching!!!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by amor4ce(m): 11:04pm On Feb 17, 2012
I do not subscribe to the view that the building of oyinbo-like or inspired societies including paved roads, mansions, public utilities and the likes by our people is an indicator of development. Rather I see it as an indicator of mental retrogression, wanting to live and act like them, accepting another identity, and lust of the eyes. Can such be compared to the organization of the pre-1600 Benin Kingdom for instance? There are countless indigenous examples as well.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by davidif: 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
TonySpike: The eviction of our white colonial masters in 1960 was really ill-timed in a way. It appears their departure created a vacuum which led to a massive deterioration in our societal, economic and evidently, our thought process. There is no better way to say this,

Gbam!!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by davidif: 3:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
Pennywise:

No DSTV. Cant browse. Your flirting opportunity is limited to your immediate neighbourhood rather than the global advantage that u currently have. Much better quality babes who appreciate what u want etc

Isn't that extremely shallow?
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Pennywise(m): 4:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
davidif:
Isn't that extremely shallow?

Thanks. But I have no wish to be esoteric. Now feck off.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by davidif: 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
@op,
Great post.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by oluamid(m): 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2014
That I stumbled upon this thread is one of the things I'll thank Nairaland for.

Classic case of Whitewashing here. Almost everyone seem to be oblivious of the fact that the areas depicted are "oyinbo"-dominated areas. I didn't see any pic of Ikeja and mainland Lagos. No, not one.

2 Likes

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Daykoozy(m): 11:59pm On Apr 30, 2015

A guy told me it was the Ibo women who destroyed Lagos with their beards and hairy chest

He said their the hair from their chest and beards blocked 60% of the drainage system - and the remaining was done by the Northerners and their homelessness (N/B: someone told me).

I don't know how true this, but I know I've seen a lot of light-skinned Ibo women with beards and hairy chests - and on my last visit to Lagos, most of the beggars by the roadside are Arabs and northerners

I know those Niger/Delta tribes that live on water and in squalor as shown in the "Welcome to Lagos" documentary - also brought slums to Lagos

N/B: I'm not into tribal superiority - I just want my Lagos to return to its old glory,
No need for this BS here. Lets be civil.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by wadetaw202: 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2015
musiwa43:
picture of Ibadan  in 1960 is the first pictures. the others are pictures of lagos in 1960
. Wow! I couldn't have believed Ibadan was ever this beauriful!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Racoon(m): 8:34am On Feb 25, 2022
TonySpike:
More pictures from old Lagos
1. Cathedral Church again
2. Broad Street, Lagos
3. Marina, 1968
4. Kingsway building, early 70's (notice the dressing of the people in the background)

By the way, how did Lagos lose her innocence? To what extent did the uncontrolled influx of people into Lagos damage the harmonious lifestyle of Old Lagos?
The pictures are nostalgic of the old glory of Lagos.

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2022
TonySpike:
1. Old Waterfront, Lagos

2. Bar Beach, Lagos in the 60's

3. Picture from Yaba in the 60's too

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 4:30pm On Oct 14, 2022
TonySpike:
This is an old picture of Lagos, most likely, about 10-15 yrs pre-independence era. Notice the Cathedral (or church) in the background. Today, this part of the Lagoon has been sand-filled and is now popularly called Marina.
Awesome.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 4:44pm On Oct 14, 2022
Rossikk:
5P1naz said

Unlike in Nigeria, the white colonialists reinvested some of the profits from national exports to develop South Africa. They did this because there was a large white settler population there. You should see a picture of Johannesburg as far back as 1950:

Johannesburg 1952

Did Lagos look like that in 1952, or anywhere close to that?

So you see, they left Nigeria totally underdeveloped such that at independence, we had to start everything from scratch, from roads to electricity to schools etc.  That's why we're playing catch-up today.

Very well said!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FFK And Dino Melaye Tackle Each Other On Instagram / FRSC Officials Buying 'Paraga' In Lagos" - Photos / Saraki And Dogara Meet With Buhari At Abuja House In London (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.