Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

The Old Lagos In Pictures - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Old Lagos In Pictures (40835 Views)

Differences Between The Old And New Budget 2016 / Igbo Man's Tomato Company In Lagos In Trouble, Moving To Sokoto. Lol / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2022
NegroNtns:

I thought you were talking about 1950 Lagos.  People in 1950 Lagos had ownership and jobs or trade or craft. . . .they had safety and nourishment. They received quality education.

I don't know where you lived before moving to Lagos. . . but the old ECN power plant in Ijora did not fail the Lagos population.  

Here's a quote - "The history of electricity in Nigeria dates back to 1896 when electricity was first produced in Lagos, fifteen years after its introduction in England."

Here's the source -  http://www.iaee.org/en/publications/newsletterdl.aspx?id=56

Almost every picture you saw of old Lagos had cars parked on the streets and some on the road.  There was not one picture that did not have a paved road. . . even if there was no car in picture, the road itself attest to the network of transportation.  There is a picture of Herbert Macauley rd in Yaba where they showed cabriolet cars that the aristocrats rode around in.  Beside cars. . . there were as well bicyclists.  There were sidewalks for pedestrians.  So the government did not abandon the people as they do nowadays.

Lagos had Yaba College of Tech, founded 1947. It had University of Lagos 1962/

Onikan health center; Island General hos[yl; Island Maternity hosptl; Massey strts health center.  

Rossik, you must be one of those people that came to Lagos and was enamored by the new awareness of landscape architecture and beauty and the appeal of urban  hippyness.

Give me a break~  The new structures and their beauty is okay and the pictures you have are adoring. . . . but to criticize the Old scenery as backward and a failure is outright insensitive of you.

. . . . and if you think what you see here in terms of aesthetic and well being is outstanding. . . wait to hear about Ibadan.   Were the whites all over Ibadan as well?  

stop acting like someone that has never seen opulence before. . . dont let the skyscrapers all get in your head.

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by GreyLaw(m): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2022
TonySpike:
The eviction of our white colonial masters in 1960 was really ill-timed in a way. It appears their departure created a vacuum which led to a massive deterioration in our societal, economic and evidently, our thought process. There is no better way to say this,

You put this in a civilised way. Recently moved to Glasgow and stunned at the civility of the people, the impeccable neatness of the town, and the mind-blowing organisation of the city as a whole.

I simply gave up any dreams of Nigeria reaching such heights of greatness. Its an ill dream; it won't work. At least, not with the madness we call mentality.

When I read people campaigning for the animals who raped Nigeria poor, and then turn around to tribalise everything, I simply just give up.

Bottom line: the Whites are better at organisational planning and taking care of their people. We have our strengths but we threw everything out the window and embraced graft. Good luck to finding a civilised Nigeria. I hope it happens.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by GreyLaw(m): 5:02pm On Oct 14, 2022
NegroNtns:

I thought you were talking about 1950 Lagos.  People in 1950 Lagos had ownership and jobs or trade or craft. . . .they had safety and nourishment. They received quality education.

I don't know where you lived before moving to Lagos. . . but the old ECN power plant in Ijora did not fail the Lagos population.  

Here's a quote - "The history of electricity in Nigeria dates back to 1896 when electricity was first produced in Lagos, fifteen years after its introduction in England."

Here's the source -  http://www.iaee.org/en/publications/newsletterdl.aspx?id=56

Almost every picture you saw of old Lagos had cars parked on the streets and some on the road.  There was not one picture that did not have a paved road. . . even if there was no car in picture, the road itself attest to the network of transportation.  There is a picture of Herbert Macauley rd in Yaba where they showed cabriolet cars that the aristocrats rode around in.  Beside cars. . . there were as well bicyclists.  There were sidewalks for pedestrians.  So the government did not abandon the people as they do nowadays.

Lagos had Yaba College of Tech, founded 1947. It had University of Lagos 1962/

Onikan health center; Island General hos[yl; Island Maternity hosptl; Massey strts health center.  

Rossik, you must be one of those people that came to Lagos and was enamored by the new awareness of landscape architecture and beauty and the appeal of urban  hippyness.

Give me a break~  The new structures and their beauty is okay and the pictures you have are adoring. . . . but to criticize the Old scenery as backward and a failure is outright insensitive of you.

. . . . and if you think what you see here in terms of aesthetic and well being is outstanding. . . wait to hear about Ibadan.   Were the whites all over Ibadan as well?  

stop acting like someone that has never seen opulence before. . . dont let the skyscrapers all get in your head.

The guy you quoted hates anything White. He lauds Black achievement to high heavens, which is good, but becomes horrible when facts are distorted.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2022
TonySpike:
I have three more rare and amazing pictures of Lagos from the earliest time:

1. This is an aerial view of Lagos in 1929, note the open field, that is the modern site of TBS (or former race course) and again note the truncated land mass at the bottom of the picture, that should be undeveloped Victoria Island of 1929.

2. Another view of Lagos around the same time

3. This is the Marina, Lagos-Island (I can't place the year since there are no cars in the background)
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 5:20pm On Oct 14, 2022
Sholaf:

The 3rd pic, Onikan-Marina end, where my granny and her friends take strolls on week ends in the late 20s.

The place gave way to The motherless babies home Onikan. Nig Army Officers Mess took over, next door, is The Lagos Yacht Club.
That's mad cool!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Softmirror: 5:25pm On Oct 14, 2022
4teelaw:
Old Lagos resembles Modern day London, Modern day Lagos resembles a shadow of its former glory, thank God for Fashola sef, it could have been worse!

HAVE YOU BEEN TO NEW YORK BEFORE?
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by AlphaTaikun: 5:25pm On Oct 14, 2022
Rossikk:
More from Walter Rodney:

''In predominantly black countries, it was also true that the bulk of the social services went to whites. The southern part of Nigeria was one of the colonial areas that was supposed to have received the most from a benevolent ‘mother country’. Ibadan, one of the most heavily populated cities in Africa, had only about 50 Europeans before the last war [WW2]. For those chosen few, the British colonial government maintained a segregated hospital service of 11 beds in well-furnished surroundings. There were 34 beds for the half-a-million blacks. The situation was repeated in other areas [of Nigeria], so that altogether the 4,000 Europeans in the country in the 1930s had 12 modern hospitals, while the African population of at least 40 million had 52 hospitals.''

http://www.marxistsfr.org/subject/africa/rodney-walter/how-europe/ch06.htm
Word!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Softmirror: 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2022
Kx:
What better way to show how Nigeria has retrogressed than with this pix?

Lagos and Ibadan of 1960 is 100 million times better than the VI. of today.

WHAT ABOUT NEW YORK IN 1960 COMPARED TO NEW YORK TODAY?
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Softmirror: 5:38pm On Oct 14, 2022
OnlyRebel:
The military incursion through the coup of 1966 distroy the nation. And the ill-conceived and ill-fated Biafra war.

WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT COUNTRIES WHICH SUFFERED DEVASTATING DIRECT AND INDIRECT EFFECT OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR, EXAMPLES ARE GERMANY, JAPAN,. WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STATE THEY ARE IN THE WORLD TODAY?
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Perfectbeing(m): 8:02pm On Oct 14, 2022
faithin9ja:
I finished primary school in 1974, I have fond memories as an 'ajebutter' kid of Leventis, Kingsway and UTC. There was Kingsway stores in Sapele, Wari and Benin even in those days. But let's not kid ourselves majority of Nigerians lived in rural areas in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
That's why I shake my head when people say Nigeria is better in the 70s than now..

I'm still in early 20s o. grin
But I dey read die. And I nor dey follow crowd thinking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Appeal Court Expunges Part Of APC’s Petition Against Wike / Photos From 2015 NEDG Presidential Debate, GEJ Present, GMB Absent / President Buhari Receives The Original FIFA World Cup Trophy In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.