Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Definition Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Definition Of God (4932 Views)

The True Definition Of Athiesm / Flaws Definition Of God Exposes In Atheism / The Definition Of Divine Harmony - Understanding Creation & Non-interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Definition Of God by Rhodalyn(f): 6:06pm On Mar 21, 2006
you're more than right kimba, good point cool
Re: Definition Of God by burteeone(m): 9:17pm On Mar 21, 2006
I d'not not satisfied ooooohhhh!!! well, what about where God is Living? I mean the Throne, How majesty is the place? Who's with Him and what are THEY doing?

It's my pleasure knowing this, by giving your own imagination. Well God IS also gladsome in HEAVEN, saying these are my sons and daughter let them alone. This is also an evangelism.

oya?

God bless all
Re: Definition Of God by Seun(m): 9:32pm On Mar 21, 2006
God: man's greatest creation!
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 10:20pm On Mar 21, 2006
burteone,

You wan use idea start another thread inside this one.
Re: Definition Of God by 4getme1(m): 10:32pm On Mar 21, 2006
Seun:

Seun and all my gentlemanly felas who just want to get noticed on the ridiculous side, there just is no need for all this shakara called atheism. To you, God may be defined as man's greatest creation - and that's alright if you created your own god. You have all the right to say so or worse on Nairaland, afterall its your brainchild. Ever heard of respect for others' worldview even if you don't believe in them? I remember that inflamatory statements are not encouraged on the forum; yet how would you class your statement above? You make rules and break them! Applause!  cool

God may not be definable or explanable. Perhaps, the handler of the topic might have wanted us to share from our own experiences and points of reference about who God is to us. 'Definition' may not be the word he/she might have wanted to use; but I think the sense is that he/she would have liked to read responses that are uplifting about our experiences of God.

God is who He says He is. . . the "I AM WHO I AM". . . the uncreated Creator of all things except evil. . .the best Friend there is to the helpless, hopeless, and hapless. . . the only One ridiculed by those who understand Him not. . . loved by millions who have found peace and reality in Him. . . highly exalted on His throne. . . whose qualities and attributes exhaust human language and dwarf all learning. . .

I d'not  not satisfied ooooohhhh!!![/b]__ abi make I continue??

Of all I could ever say of Him, this one na super - [b]God is God
!!
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 10:35pm On Mar 22, 2006
It is not possible to define God.

To do so would impose constraints upon God which would render God's existence impossible.

However, since it is impossible to define God, is there any point in talking about God's existence?
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 2:52am On Mar 23, 2006
Allonym,

What exactly do you mean by its impossible to define "God"? Is "God" not an English word?

Unless my understanding of the word "define" is wrong.

The term "God" was defined long ago. If not it would not be an English word. If you open your dictionary, will you not find a definition of monotheistic "God" as against the polytheistic version used in "gods"? But if you want an in-depth definition, accepted by all Biblical scholars, Go to Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia  . Better still here is the link to the standard definition,  Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

I have since realised that the problem here is that the person who started this thread said "Please I want people to help me define God" when he actually meant  "What are some names that I can use to praise God?" or "What does God mean to you?"

If we were Jews, I will understand someone saying you can't define God. Jews are not permitted to ever speak or write the word, they just write G - d.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 11:54am On Mar 23, 2006
God in you the hope of glory.

God is what you decide to call him:

man's greatest invention: and he will be just so to you
never existed fallacy: and he will be just so to you
The Almighty, omnipotent and omniscient God: and he will manifest himself as such
The God that is able to part the red sea and bring conclusion to my problems and pains: and he will manifest himself as such.

To know God, to see him manifest; the glory him in your heart and life, delight in him and your eyes of understanding about him shall be opened.

God to me, is everything, in Him i live, move, and be!
Re: Definition Of God by mlksbaby(f): 12:35pm On Mar 23, 2006
nicetohave, that was fascinating! cheesy
Re: Definition Of God by TYPOP(m): 8:23pm On Mar 23, 2006
lioness :
Now you think am the one fighting huh?
wait till it gets to the 2nd page

Reba: This topic will never reach the second page ok,

see? I like u joo lioness. u forecast right. But we can still do God proud by telling Him what He is to us. I'm sure He'll love it when we proclaim him even on the net instead of talking dirty.

@Reba

If you be prophet, u no go sell. grin grin grin

Alritght, tell me more about God.
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 6:06am On Mar 24, 2006
t4cash:

Allonym,

What exactly do you mean by its impossible to define "God"? Is "God" not an English word?

Unless my understanding of the word "define" is wrong.

The term "God" was defined long ago. If not it would not be an English word. If you open your dictionary, will you not find a definition of monotheistic "God" as against the polytheistic version used in "gods"? But if you want an in-depth definition, accepted by all Biblical scholars, Go to Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia . Better still here is the link to the standard definition, Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

I have since realised that the problem here is that the person who started this thread said "Please I want people to help me define God" when he actually meant "What are some names that I can use to praise God?" or "What does God mean to you?"

If we were Jews, I will understand someone saying you can't define God. Jews are not permitted to ever speak or write the word, they just write G - d.

Oh, were are using english now. . . does this mean that I can attack the definition with logic based on real words with real meanings? Or am I constrained to talking about God with only concepts sanctioned by any person here who claims to be a christian?
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 6:09am On Mar 24, 2006
According to the wikipedia site you posted, there is only one definition of God people agree on, and that is:

The sole creator and ruler of the universe.

So, potentially, chance, probability, or the Big Bang could be God.
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 4:49pm On Mar 24, 2006
I am reluctant to return here. but for the benefit of those who may just wakapass and read allonym's reply above, this is the FULL Wikipedia definition of God:

[ God
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article discusses the term God in the context of monotheism and derived henotheistic forms. See deity, god (male deity) or goddesses for details on polytheistic usages. See Names of God for terms used in other languages or specific faiths. See God (disambiguation) for non-religious meanings.
God denotes a deity who is believed by monotheists to be the sole creator and ruler of the universe. Conceptions of God can vary widely, despite the common use of the same term for them all.

The God of monotheism, or the supreme deity of pantheist, panentheist and henotheistic religions is not thought of by believers in the same terms as deities — as a powerful, human-like, supernatural being -- but rather becomes esoteric, the reification of a philosophical category — the Ultimate, the Absolute Infinite, the Transcendent, the One, the All, Existence or Being itself, the ground of being, the monistic substrate, etc.

Theologians and philosophers have studied countless conceptions of God since the dawn of civilization. The question of the existence of God classically falls under the branch of philosophy known as metaphysics, but is also one of the key discussions taking place within the field of the philosophy of religion.
]

Note the bold texts: Existence or Being Itself.

So as you can see I did not just make up my definition. Though I posted before i decided to search Wiki the definition, I made it a duty to discover what "God" as a term meant long ago.  Too many people just do not bother to find the real meaning of terms they use. This leads to ignorant usage of the terms, thereby grating on the senses of those who do so.

Anyway, as I said before, whatever God means to you, stay close to Him.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 5:00pm On Mar 24, 2006
t4cash:

Anyway, as I said before, whatever God means to you, stay close to Him.

that is the word; stay close to him!
Re: Definition Of God by EddyTells(m): 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2006
@ Seun, what do u mean by God is man's greatest creation.
Can a creation create its creator.

If you dont believe in God that doesnt mean you shd classify him that way.
God created you Seun

[Posted by: Seun
Insert Quote
/quote]
Re: Definition Of God by t4cash(m): 5:16pm On Mar 24, 2006
nicetohave, maybe it was a typo. but don't spell him with small "h" when referring to Him.  smiley

(hope i aint coming over as too fastidious, but if you knew the rules Jews obey in deference to the commandment: "Thou shall not use the name of the Lord in vain", you will realise that spelling Him in caps ALWAYS is a small thing)
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 5:18pm On Mar 24, 2006
lets not get involved in semantics, God does not require that of us our service to Him goes beyond "H" for "h", but point noted anyway.
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 5:57pm On Mar 24, 2006
God does not care how you spell his name.

If there was a language without capital letters, where would you be?

The capital letter convention is one used by Christians in an attempt to differentiate to the rest of the world between the god they worship and other gods, which are not supposed to exist anyway. In fact, if christians recognize that other gods don't exist, what is the point of having to capitalize God?
Re: Definition Of God by Rhodalyn(f): 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2006
because, although they do not recognize it, some do
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 6:05pm On Mar 24, 2006
that does not make sense.

Rhodalyn:

Thats like saying, although all of them are boys, some are girls.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 6:17pm On Mar 24, 2006
there are so many things that does not makes sense but are valid allonym.

Is your senses an objective indicator of events?

if you live within your senses always then you'll never live at all, at best you'll remain a glorified primate.
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 6:30pm On Mar 24, 2006
nicetohave:

there are so many things that does not makes sense but are valid allonym.

Is your senses an objective indicator of events?

if you live within your senses always then you'll never live at all, at best you'll remain a glorified primate.

Would you prefer I said, "does not compute". Or is this the christian way of making an argument, say some bullcrap and pretend it has some higher meaning that nobody else understands.

The only way your statement would have any meaning is for me to defy the laws of grammar, semantics, etc, and assume that the "some" that you refer to in the second part of your statement is actually talking about a group of people other than the "they" you refer to in the first part of your statement.

Excuse me if I choose not to go down that route. Then people could make sentences like this: George W. Bush is the president of the United States; he is a terrorist known to everyone as the Unabomber. and pretend it actually makes sense.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 6:43pm On Mar 24, 2006
It amazes me how a minor proportion of the world thinks the major proportion's confessions does not make sense and in other words, are next to delusional; it is amusing.

If it doesnt make sense to you, or rather if it does not compute to you, then so be it.

remember again, feelings, senses, computing, be it whatever you call it in itself as an objective assessment of event, does not make sense, or better still, compute.

If youre persuaded in your confessions, or senses or computing, then stick to it.
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 6:51pm On Mar 24, 2006
This is not a feeling or sense or anything.

If you told me 1 + 1 = 4. I don't "FEEL" that you are wrong. I don't "believe" you are wrong. There is no question of your wrongness. There is not doubt, no subjectiveness to it.

Similarly, there is no "feeling" or subjectivity in my post.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 7:58pm On Mar 24, 2006
obviously your scope of what makes sense is what is poor

add 1+1 for me using the binary mode of addition instead of the decimal mode that your senses are used to and tell me what you got. does that tell you anything about how many ways 1+1 can be resolved? one way? perhaps two? sorry, in numerous ways.

put your palms on yourself and tell me what your temperature is?

allonym, even you do not realise your senses are subjective, how can you know more than you have not felt? or experienced?
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 8:47pm On Mar 24, 2006
perhaps you cannot add.

No matter how you add 1 and 1, the result always has the value of 2 in decimal.

Try again.

I don't use "senses" to do math. Anyone who can do that is exceptionally gifted. . .they just "feel" the answer.

I have never experienced what a microprocessor does, yet if I design one, I can detail everything it can possibly do with no exception. You don't need experience to have knowledge.
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 9:03pm On Mar 24, 2006
sorry, 1+1 in binary addition is not 2.

like i said you are limited in knowledge even in the things you claim so much to know, how then can you understand the definition of God.
Re: Definition Of God by Rhodalyn(f): 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2006
allonym:

that does not make sense.

Thats like saying, although all of them are boys, some are girls.
it makes a lot of sense, maybe you dont understand it and mind you, it isnt just like saying ''although all of them are boys, some are girls''!!!!

it's like saying '' although christians do not believe in gods, non christians do!!! and thats why they've got to be specific about which God they're referring to GEDDIT/
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 9:06pm On Mar 24, 2006
Really,

In binary, 01 + 01 = 10.

10 in binary is equivalent to 02 in decimal.

Please don't embarass yourself if you don't know what you are talking about. Pull out a simple scientific calculator that can convert between binary and decimal if you can't do the math in your head.

nicetohave:

sorry, 1+1 in binary addition is not 2.

like i said you are limited in knowledge even in the things you claim so much to know, how then can you understand the definition of God.
Re: Definition Of God by allonym: 9:07pm On Mar 24, 2006
Rhodalyn:

it makes a lot of sense, maybe you don't understand it and mind you, it isnt just like saying ''although all of them are boys, some are girls''!!!!

it's like saying '' although christians do not believe in gods, non christians do!!! and thats why they've got to be specific about which God they're referring to GEDDIT/

NO, I don't. That is not what he said. Let quote him:

Rhodalyn:

Let me now use the christian example you did:

because, although christians do not believe in gods, some christians do.

That does not make sense. I know you are young Rhodalyn . , but you are not that young.

How can "some" in his statement reference a different group of people from those referenced by "they" in his statement?

Seriously, what schools did the two of you goto?
Re: Definition Of God by nicetohave(m): 9:11pm On Mar 24, 2006
dont reosrt to insult, i am far more intelligent than you think perhaps more than you can ever be.

so 10 in binary is equal to 2 in decimal? does that make the two equal?

perhaps bush is the president in the USA and Obasanjo is president in Nigeria

so bush=obasanjo, because they are both president?

how many ways can you add 1+1?

how many ways can you define God?

doesnt that imply to you that there are more than you know?

retreat back into the discussion and leave me out of it, you can only ridicule yourself if you persist
Re: Definition Of God by Rhodalyn(f): 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2006
allonym:

NO, I don't. That is not what he said. Let quote him:

Let me now use the christian example you did:

That does not make sense. I know you are young Rhodalyn . , but you are not that young.
you still dont get me do you, you're just messing it all up listen once and for all this is what i said

ALTHOUGH CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN GOD, NON- CHRISTIANS DO NOT and that is why they've got to be specific when referring to God!!!!!

i did not say this!!

i know you're a bit old but surely, the old age do not forget things that easily do they?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? / How Can We Recognise False Teachers? / Ex-blind People Association Of Nigeria: Thank God For Healing Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.