Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (14427 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? / Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by wowo2: 10:39am On Feb 19, 2012
The day i walked into my tailor's and the radio was on. The talkative on the radio was blabbing on about how children should not be forced into any profession and said something like if your child is not good in school, he can become good at other things like tailoring. All the 6 tailors abandoned their work and lurched towards me, the only customer in the room to plead their case - their work is the most strenuous of professions, involves lots of maths, dull people can't be tailors etc. Till today,  can not remember when or how I got out of the building,
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by cfours: 11:28pm On Feb 19, 2012
tailors are almost an endangered species soon to go into extinction. this is due to the rise of ready made clothing. even for natives.
20 yrs from now when there are no more tailors around, we will all be nostalgically talking about "back in the days when we had tailors to sew our clothes for us"
but for now, let us keep yabbing them.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by omowaleola(f): 10:35am On Feb 20, 2012
so far there is aso ebi for occasion,there will alway be need to sew them.d ready-made are still made by tailors.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Divaifylor(f): 6:42am On Feb 21, 2012
Thank God u pple are commenting on dis issue because I know what I've faced in d hands of some tailors. 1 of dem was during a graduation when I had taken my cloth 2 a tailor. Dis woman is very good at what she does,no doubt,but she is d slowest human beign on dis planet,and she does dis 2 evry1 tall/short,fat/slim,old/young. I heard of her slow pace but thought dat if I took my ankara early,it wuld b ready in time. I took my material 3 months 2 d occasion but dat didn't lead me anywhere as Mrs Oba,dat's her name, didn't finish my dress until d night 2 d party. Un4tunately 4 me some oda pple also took d same material 2 her and she found out d original date of dat party. Each time I went 2 collect my clothe all I received were a smiling face and excuses. Dis woman would just b smiling and no matter d amount of anger u won't b able 2 shout. Each time one goes 2 her shop u're likely 2 find som1 complaining of her slow pace. She had even mixed up d clothes of some women because she finished it d morning of their party in a big rush. I've learnt my lesson though when it comes 2 Mrs Oba,hers is a hopeless case and if u decide 2 take ur cloth 2 her,because of her expertise, just make sure it's not 4 an occasion.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kaycee5(m): 3:43am On Mar 15, 2012
all ''tailors'' re not d same @qdat-clothings we 're fast reliable 'n ready to go at all time we even get ur stuff delivered @ ur doostep we sell ready made tradition & modern outfit anyhow you want it so yu shall have it, we re here to meet ur demands in bring out fitness in you just a test will make you change your mind. Call Olatunde on 08092757085 experience makes d defference...
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Mcleo007(m): 9:05pm On Mar 16, 2012
gtrust: Cameroonian, Beninior and many Francophone Tailors are very good!
They spend time to learn the job,
they take it seriously and most of them are in it (tailoring) for life
and not some make-shift until they can 'make it thru some miracle'!

Does anyone know where I can get Beninoire or Togolese tailors for hire.? I need one ASAP.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Fieldmann: 1:48pm On Feb 06, 2013
"Start Sewing Professionally"
At basic and advanced levels... and you don't need any experience to get started.

This is indeed the ultimate learning experience for professional training in fashion design. At basic and advanced levels.
Program features: 3,6,9 month programs, male/female clothing, 100% practice-based, weekday/weekend sessions, structured program delivery, utilizes complete pattern drafting techniques, 1 person to 1 machine, air conditioning, free wifi, 99.9% result rates…

You can view pictures of what our students are doing here - www.instagram.com/fieldmann.ng, and
Also see what they had to say about their experience while in class, search in google for "Reviews on Creative Tailoring Class"

Call/Whatsapp - 0803-910-2829
18 Odunlami Street, Anthony Village, Lagos. (Landmarks: LASU Anthony campus, closer to GTBank Anthony Village branch)
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by ruckylove: 1:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ok guys, we've heard it all. I had my own long war with taylors when i was younger. I would sketch,describe and even monitor but all na lie. Guess wot am a taylor now so i dnt av to take any freaking * ISH* from any taylor. Try moi nd lets see wot we can create 2geda. Ok? Its 331785BA nd 08027151549. U dont always have to be a victim now. Do u?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by PNClothing: 10:47am On Aug 14, 2013
Pearl Nash School of fashion design 3 month training nw 25,000, 6 month nw 45,000. New session starts in September, hurry now and register, limited spaces still available. For more info pls call 07032779599 or add 25D8B6AF or pearlnashclothing@yahoo.com. Hve a fab day. Cheers. Pls kindly rebroadcastwink
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by honeeyplum(f): 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2013
My tailor is mega annoying.....I ll call her before going to her shop n she ll ask me to come only for me to get to her shop to meet her just cutting the cloth.....Oooooooh...dat murderous moment when it takes the fear of going to jail to stop me from wringing her neck...don't no y she cnt just save me my tfare...changed her last week and still searching...sad coz am an ankara addict
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 1:50pm On Aug 14, 2013
I think I should end this thread. I have had a few clashes with tailors. First when I burnt my suit trousers and needed to go back to school urgently. This guy turned me around. I later found out he was planning his wedding. Aside that m good with them. I just gave the same guy four natives to sew and he did a very good job within 1 week.
Let me clarify something. My mum is a tailor so I may be a lil bit sentimental. But guess what, why did she learn sewing? Because a tailor messed up her cloth... Lol.
Truth is no matter how hard you try you can't satisfy everybody. Your sites may be new and challenging to these guys give room for improvement. It may not entirely be their fault as your cloth has to go through weaving and maybe embroidery processes. These guys take time, esp embroidery.
Bottom line is cut them some slack these guys are working to please you, disappointed or not.# CEO 9jafrikfashion. www.9jafrikfashion..com
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Maksjoy: 10:44am On Aug 27, 2013
INDESTRUCTABLEX: I think I should end this thread. I have had a few clashes with tailors. First when I burnt my suit trousers and needed to go back to school urgently. This guy turned me around. I later found out he was planning his wedding. Aside that m good with them. I just gave the same guy four natives to sew and he did a very good job within 1 week.
Let me clarify something. My mum is a tailor so I may be a lil bit sentimental. But guess what, why did she learn sewing? Because a tailor messed up her cloth... Lol.
Truth is no matter how hard you try you can't satisfy everybody. Your sites may be new and challenging to these guys give room for improvement. It may not entirely be their fault as your cloth has to go through weaving and maybe embroidery processes. These guys take time, esp embroidery.
Bottom line is cut them some slack these guys are working to please you, disappointed or not.# CEO 9jafrikfashion. www.9jafrikfashion..com
And he ended the thread! lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by swtme(f): 5:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Pls I need help I just relocated 2 abj n I need a gud and affordable tailor urgently cos I've added weight n my natives don't fit anymore,I went 2 area 1 and they were lyk to sew skirt n blouse(simple style)is 4000 n above n I'm lyk woooooo.If anyone resides in abj n av a gud tailor inside town pls reply
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by baaliyah(m): 12:31pm On Aug 28, 2013
@$wtme,
That is about the cheapest u can get, if u want good quality finishing. Most of them that are good charge between 6k and 8k depending on their location. If u will be given good job at the right time, give him/her a trial.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:49am On Aug 30, 2013
Mmmmmmmmmm! I shall comment but not today...... grin

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by swtme(f): 12:08pm On Aug 30, 2013
Efosa u dey abuja?
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Maksjoy: 8:40pm On Aug 30, 2013
EFOSA VAL: Mmmmmmmmmm! I shall comment but not today...... grin

ma'am, could u pls send me dis yr posters? They r not very clear here. 27aecdc7
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Mcleo007(m): 8:34pm On Sep 18, 2013
We handle bulk sewing and contract deals. Call 07033801718. Leo and Levi Clothing's is the name.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by raffnkaydesigns: 3:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
if you live in Abuja or its environns, call Rakiya on 08033149025 for all your tailoring needs wether in need of a tailor or in need of custom made designs both African and English. Raff n' Kay. raffnkaydesigns..com
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kaycee5(m): 6:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Divaifylor n y" all that re condemning the Nigerian tailors... first of all im not saying that u should expect the best from all naija tailors OK but how many of you av that patient to book an appointment with ur tailor the way u do ur doctors...? custors cause most of there own disappointments as many of u will need ur dresses in two days time u will expect the tailor man to do a miracle how can u compered dat with an already made dress that maybe the designer might av done a series of amendment on the sketches b4 making one as d sample lots of amendment on that too... after fitting it on the manorqin some correction will be carried out too then goes for the final production... all this was made by some tailors good or bad that's what dey re.. n then you will go out there to ur boutique buy the cloth made by tailors n still bring them to dose tailors that u av condemned to help u give it a proper fitting to ur size... im not a designer im a tailor n loving it... my customers never suffers a disappointment... or av u tried MAI/SHOLAS couturae/TOYIN ASHAOLU/BLACK N GRAY/CUTTING LOTS.. all of this re in Lagos av work with them i kno there strength there commitment in giving u the very best that u deserved... it kills me when people who don't know a thing about cutting n sewing come up here n started saying shit bout Nigerian tailors....smh.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kaycee5(m): 6:02pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Divaifylor n y" all that re condemning the Nigerian tailors... first of all im not saying that u should expect the best from all naija tailors OK but how many of you av that patient to book an appointment with ur tailor the way u do ur doctors...? custors cause most of there own disappointments as many of u will need ur dresses in two days time u will expect the tailor man to do a miracle how can u compered dat with an already made dress that maybe the designer might av done a series of amendment on the sketches b4 making one as d sample lots of amendment on that too... after fitting it on the manorqin some correction will be carried out too then goes for the final production... all this was made by some tailors good or bad that's what dey re.. n then you will go out there to ur boutique buy the cloth made by tailors n still bring them to dose tailors that u av condemned to help u give it a proper fitting to ur size... im not a designer im a tailor n loving it... my customers never suffers a disappointment... or av u tried MAI/SHOLAS couturae/TOYIN ASHAOLU/BLACK N GRAY/CUTTING LOTS.. all of this re in Lagos av work with them i kno there strength there commitment in giving u the very best that u deserved... it kills me when people who don't know a thing about cutting n sewing come up here n started saying shit bout Nigerian tailors....smh.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kaycee5(m): 6:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Onegai(f): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2014
I think a lot of these wahala have to do with lack of professionalism. As with makeup artistry, hair styling and some other industries, half the tailors you meet outside became tailors because "my wife/dependent needed something to do to bring in small money".

I'll never forget this Beninoise guy in Tejuosho. I bought tafetta and asked him to make a blazer. His sewing was a dream, but he only knew how to make skirt suits and cut my blazer all wrong. I was upset, till a friend (whose mum was a tailor) wrote down instructions and gave him to make corrections. By the end of that day, 4 more girls walking past his shop and seeing my blazer, ordered for theirs. 10 years later, that blazer is still excellent (and still my size!). Looks expensive.

I'd rarely trust a Naija tailor with sophisticated designs. And a lot of these upscale designers use Togolese and Beninoise tailors in-house, rather than Nigerian (I work with them, so I know). I'm yet to meet a tailor that wows me (sorry if you have a fashion school, but I've met quite a few fashion school attendees and I marvel at the lack of good construction technique, poor finishing and boring designs).
If you've got a Togolese or Beninoise or Ghanian tailor, let me know. I've got some ideas and Business info for him.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by Onegai(f): 11:10am On Jan 05, 2014
for tailors reading this, please theres a way to up your game. There's this bespoke designer named Emmy Collins (he used to have a showroom in London). He organizes free fashion seminars, and talks about everything from Business of fashion to sewing techniques to tasteful fashion (he has a blog that shows you almost all these re-carpet celebs dress badly and explains why). Abeg, go for it. his website was www.emmycollins.com. i dont work for him, i just read his blog and realised the man knew his onions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by kidiat: 6:43am On Jan 09, 2014
Honeycity: some tailors can be so annoying and in order to avoid having anything to do with them i enrolled for a weekend tailoring class, i also bought a new sewing machine. Right now i have no reason  to visit any tailor cus i make my own cloth  cheesy

I av bad experience wit the so call fashion designer who spiol my cloth @ same time collected for making the dress,pls I w like to know where u learn & hw much it cost u. Am base in Ikorodu, I tried to learn sometimes ago, but the but the school the instructor keep on beging for assistance, when I discovered dt I can not cooperative wit his wahala, I av to abadon, but I still need it, fashion school in Ikorodu is too expensive.
Re: Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! by 9jagurl81: 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Or their disease of waiting till last minute to finish the aso...and when i say last minute, I mean the day-of
Incredibly frustrating...

www.ohmashoes.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Beautiful Models In Africa / Joshua Agai - A Male Model Releases More Pictures / Chukwudozie Violet Wins Face Of Omambala Nigeria Pageant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.