Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,082 members, 7,811,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads (9577 Views)

Underwear Bomber Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab Appeals Life Term Sentence / Osama Bin Laden Is Alive - Abdulmutallab / New Video of Training, Martyrdom Statements : Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by MAYOWAAK: 8:55am On Feb 14, 2012
A lawyer for the Nigerian man who pleaded guilty to trying to blow up a United States jumbo passenger jet on Christmas Day in 2009 urged a federal judge on Monday not to sentence to Farouk Abdulmutallab spend the rest of his life in prison because it was cruel and unusual punishment.

Abdulmutallab, 25, pleaded guilty in a federal court in October 2011 of trying to detonate a bomb hidden in his underwear as part of a plot orchestrated by al Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

He is due to be sentenced on Thursday in Detroit and faces up to life in prison for the bombing attempt aboard a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Detroit that had 289 people on board.

His lawyer Anthony Chambers argued that the mandatory life sentence required under US law for some of the crimes he admitted to committing was unconstitutional, particularly because no one was seriously hurt during the bombing attempt.

“Given the circumstances and what did NOT occur in the instant matter it is fair to say that the mandatory minimum sentence of life imprisonment is excessive and grossly disproportionate to the conduct,” Chambers said in a court filing, emphasising the word “not.”

While not making a specific request, he requested on Abdulmutallab’s behalf that the judge impose a sentence below the advisory guideline range because a life sentence would be a “misinterpretation of justice

http://www.punchng.com/news/dont-sentence-me-to-life-abdulmutallab-pleads/
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by dplordx(m): 9:10am On Feb 14, 2012
Woo, why is this news. America is the most dombest nation on earth. Why is this shyt still alive. I thought they already burnt him at stake.
They should sentence him to 1,000 years in prison angry
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by chiteny(m): 9:20am On Feb 14, 2012
I guess he prefers death by hanging over life in prison.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by maclatunji: 9:22am On Feb 14, 2012
I think it is already a done deal that he will get life without parole. However, if he is good he may get a pardon in like 20 years time.

#Reallysadstory
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by maclatunji: 9:23am On Feb 14, 2012
^A presidential pardon I mean
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by chuks49(m): 9:24am On Feb 14, 2012
E should be made to drink 2buckets of beneline @ a go. 4kin pr!ck.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by ibide(m): 9:26am On Feb 14, 2012
Please we are tyre of this this terorist people from the north. Any way u s a is not like nigeria the guy is a gona
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by ROCKJ1(m): 9:27am On Feb 14, 2012
He should be treated like an armed robber and sentenced to death by firing squad, For trying to take his useless life and the lives of hundreds of innocent people.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Baawaa(m): 9:29am On Feb 14, 2012
Why do u want to die in d first instance
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by KnowAll(m): 9:31am On Feb 14, 2012
[size=18pt]What the lawyer is simply telling the court is,

I WANT TO KILL HIM/HER/SOMEONE  IS

DIFFERENT FROM

I HAVE KILLED HIM/HER/SOMEONE

A MAN CANNOT BE ADMONISHED WITH THE HIGHEST PUNISHMENT FOR AN OFFENCE THAT HAS NOT TAKEN PLACE[/size]!!!
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Emilo(m): 9:32am On Feb 14, 2012
ibide:

Please we are tyre of this this terorist people from the north. Any way u s a is not like nigeria the guy is a gona

As in motor tyre or what??, o boy no go jam person, grin
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by stagger: 9:38am On Feb 14, 2012
300 consecutive life sentences should be good enough for him; one for everyone he tried to kill.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by maclatunji: 9:42am On Feb 14, 2012
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]What the lawyer is simply telling the court is,

I WANT TO KILL HIM/HER/SOMEONE  IS

DIFFERENT FROM

I HAVE KILLED HIM/HER/SOMEONE

A MAN CANNOT BE ADMONISHED WITH THE HIGHEST PUNISHMENT FOR AN OFFENCE THAT HAS NOT TAKEN PLACE[/size]!!!

Yes, I agree with you but the dork went to go and say by his actions and admission of guilt to all charges that I don't care what you do with me- I am capable of taking it!
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by grailife(m): 9:50am On Feb 14, 2012
I pray that they should forgive him because the boy was brainwashed. In God we trust.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by zone77(m): 9:52am On Feb 14, 2012
God i tot dis guy is dead,US shudnt pardon him 4 any reason,life imprisonmnt is d best 4 him or death 2 sound a note of warnin 2 other al qaeda groups.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by KnowAll(m): 9:53am On Feb 14, 2012
Yes, I agree with you but the dork went to go and say by his actions and admission of guilt to all charges that I don't care what you do with me- I am capable of taking it!

Then we are dealing with a mentally deranged man here. Is like a man who stole a loaf of bread asking for the death penalty, and insisting that is the only punishment satisfiable to him. What would any sane judge do in such a case, presumably section him into a mental hospital and throw the key away I suppose!!1 undecided
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by maclatunji: 9:58am On Feb 14, 2012
KnowAll:

Then we are dealing with a mentally deranged man here. Is like a man who stole a loaf of bread asking for the death penalty, and insisting that is the only punishment satisfiable to him. What would any sane judge do in such a case, presumably section him into a mental hospital and throw the key away I suppose!!1 undecided

The extraneous political variables in this case mean that your plea of insanity will not be looked at with favour. You write like a lawyer, you should know this already.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by grailife(m): 10:05am On Feb 14, 2012
they should pardon him and let him go. I believe he deserve a second chance.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by agog: 10:31am On Feb 14, 2012
@grailife,
pardon my foot!!

he should be punished for even having attempted to kill 289 people on board the airplane. This shouldnt be a tea party at all, in fact he should be executed angry angry angry
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Baawaa(m): 10:35am On Feb 14, 2012

Listen to urself grin grin
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by eghost247(m): 10:40am On Feb 14, 2012
useless boy
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Titihoya: 10:40am On Feb 14, 2012
Lawyers help us here,  Is there a difference between "attempted murder" and "murder", in terms of punishment.
Should we all wait till the stupid boy blows up the plane before he faces the maximum punishment.
Well, i am happy this is the US and not Europe, because in the US, he is getting life sentence whether he likes it or not and "life" is "life". But in Europe, some silly human rights group would plead for him and he would get 20yrs but only spend 3 and be released,
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 14, 2012
grailife:

Are you Kidding Me? A Second Chance for Another Home Run? shocked
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by babaowo: 10:48am On Feb 14, 2012
@dploydx when u said america is dumbest nation? What will u call nigeria who sentence confirmed terrorist to 3yrs in prison
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by jspac(m): 10:53am On Feb 14, 2012
life
imprisonment without the
possibility of parole.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by grailife(m): 11:00am On Feb 14, 2012
he attempted to bomb the plane including himself thats brainwashing. They should let the boy go. In God we trust.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by andyanders: 11:06am On Feb 14, 2012
Life in jail is not even good. If he gets life, after 20 or 30 yrs, he will be let go and deported back to Nigeria and this idio-t will cme and form another deadly Gboko Haram. Its better he is either given 2 life sentences or death.
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by dozai: 11:08am On Feb 14, 2012
Grind him and use it for minced meat for fishes, or rather take him to the middle of atlantic ocean and abandon him there with a piece of grenade in his hand as gift, at least he can bomb something b4 meeting his 99 virgins. smmmmmtcheew
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by SkySpirit(m): 11:09am On Feb 14, 2012
The animal doesnt deserve to stay with human beings, he should be condemned to LIFE IMPRISONMENT & safly kept away from sound & rational thinking people. grin grin grin
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by FEMARY1: 11:10am On Feb 14, 2012
I really pity the parents.

Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by Onyenna(m): 11:21am On Feb 14, 2012
, I think i prefer lethal injection!,  Why are some dudes here talking about pardon?,  Well, maybe they should pardon him and bring him straight to your family house,  This guy almost blew a plane with about 289 passengers onboard,  As for me, once a terrorist, always a terrorist,  What makes you think after pardon, that abdul will see a grenade on the floor and not look twice?,
Re: Don’t Sentence Me To Life, Abdulmutallab Pleads by jidewin(m): 11:25am On Feb 14, 2012
so the boy fit fear like this shebi he dey do gragra then.IF he enters US prison, walai they will RECONFIGURE his anal cavity with so much hatred and pleasure on a third world country negro.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: PDP’s Candidate Must Be Prepared To Be President From Day 1 - Maibasira / This News Just brought fear to the camp of PDP / APC, PDP Attack INEC Over Bauchi, Adamawa Gov Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.