Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,240 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem (3264 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / Help: My Peugeot 206 is having a BSI issue. / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Saintp(m): 2:32pm On Feb 14, 2012
The car was okay when i gave it 2 a mechanic to work on the brake which he changed the servo. On returning it, the car is not the same again. Its not firing well. On idle, it rpm is going up and down, on hold up, it looks like it wants to quench. sometimes on acceleration ,its dragging and it looks like its loosing power. The 4 plugs have been changed and 3 coil on plug that looks bad have also been changed yet no result. This problem is happening intermittently . Now he is talking about changing the injector switch and and 2 coil on plug.
The car starts once even if it quenches on hold up.

Plz i dont know much about cars, wot could the problem be? The car is a 99 camry.

Thanks.
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Cargoed: 2:43pm On Feb 14, 2012
I hope the mechanic did not change the brainbox "ECU". As such erratic performance is mainly due to a damaged brainbox. However he may also have messed with some key wiring. What ever happens you have to scan the car first before anyone can really help you online.
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 14, 2012
Saintp:

The car was okay when i gave it 2 a mechanic to work on the brake which he changed the servo. On returning it, the car is not the same again. Its not firing well. On idle, it rpm is going up and down, on hold up, it looks like it wants to quench. sometimes on acceleration ,its dragging and it looks like its loosing power. The 4 plugs have been changed and 3 coil on plug that looks bad have also been changed yet no result. This problem is happening intermittently . Now he is talking about changing the injector switch and and 2 coil on plug.
The car starts once even if it quenches on hold up.

Servo is vacuum operated. Your engine is "hunting". It could well be a vacuum leak, due to a pipe not connected, or a split vacuum hose. It could also be the one-way check valve in the engine-to-servo pipe. The '99 Toyota Camry runs a MAF, and any vacuum leak BEFORE the MAF will be detected. The ECU will throw in loads more fuel by default. In short, the engine will run super rich, at idle, the engine can't handle the excess fuelling, and this will cause "hunting". At higher speeds, it will appear okay.

How does your brake pedal feel? Does it feel fine, or harder than normal?
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 14, 2012
Saintp:

Now he is talking about changing the injector switch and and 2 coil on plug.

Sounds like your "mechanic's" giving you a snow job. There's no injector switch - the 4 injector valves have a 12V+ supply with the ignition on, and the switching is a negative pulsed feed from the ECU.

A bad coil will cause a regular or irregular misfire, worse under load, but very unlikely to cause the symptoms you've described here.
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Saintp(m): 4:04pm On Feb 14, 2012
@ Siena,

My brake pedal is fine now, what is ECU and MAF?
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 14, 2012
Saintp:

@ Siena,

My brake pedal is fine now, what is ECU and MAF?

The ECU is the computer that runs your engine, takes care of fuelling and ignition. Electronic Control Unit. The MAF is the Mass Air Flow meter.

You say your pedal is fine now. What was the original issue with your brakes?
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by betty009(f): 6:10pm On Mar 07, 2012
I am Miss Betty Bill, I work with Dell Company here in the United State of America (Chicago Branch)

Sir it have come to my notice that Electronics sell very well there in West Africa, meaning that Nigeria is the place were Electronics is highly required in the Market.

i have decided to look our for God fearing and humble Nigerian, due to i am planning on establishing a Whole Sales and Retailers buying site there in Nigeria, where Nigerians can buy it cheap and easy.

These men are to represent the me there in Nigeria and each will handle each selling site there

But first, i will give each man a try by sending little quantity of the products to them and if you can sell and send the money back, then you have created a trust.

If you are interested you are to forward any required information to my mail
Full Name:
to (bettybill98@yahoo.com)
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Ikenna351(m): 7:21pm On Mar 07, 2012
betty009:

I am Miss Betty Bill, I work with Dell Company here in the United State of America (Chicago Branch)

Sir it have come to my notice that Electronics sell very well there in West Africa, meaning that Nigeria is the place were Electronics is highly required in the Market.

i have decided to look our for God fearing and humble Nigerian, due to i am planning on establishing a Whole Sales and Retailers buying site there in Nigeria, where Nigerians can buy it cheap and easy.

These men are to represent the me there in Nigeria and each will handle each selling site there

But first, i will give each man a try by sending little quantity of the products to them and if you can sell and send the money back, then you have created a trust.

If you are interested you are to forward any required information to my mail
Full Name:
to (bettybill98@yahoo.com)

Betty,

Electronics? You mean vehicle Electronics or Electrical components in Vehicles? Or Electronics like Hi-Fi, Blu-ray, LED TVs,etc? Please, we need clarification.

Ikenna.
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by gulfer: 7:37pm On Mar 07, 2012
@Ikenna351, this is a spam email and i am sure generated by a spam-bot. How is it possible to have this same email on all sections of NL (44) at about the same time? Mods should delete this spam.
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by Ikenna351(m): 7:54pm On Mar 07, 2012
gulfer:

@Ikenna351, this is a spam email and i am sure generated by a spam-bot. How is it possible to have this same email on all sections of NL (44) at about the same time? Mods should delete this spam.

Thanks Gulfer. I will run for my dear life! grin grin grin

Ikenna
Re: Help My Car Is Having A Firing Problem by bigx(m): 6:35pm On Apr 08, 2012
I just noticed something like this on my Peugeot 307 on the way back from church today.
Accelerating from a stop was practically hell as when I depress the accelerator pedal fully, the engine dies down and attempts to go off, so I'd to pump gradually till i got home.
I noticed this some months back and changed the ignition coil and it was a bit better for a few months.

(1) (Reply)

Efficient And Reliable Car / How Does Cars45 Make Money? / Honda Baby Boy Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.