Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? (29144 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Would You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 1:59pm On Feb 15, 2012
You guys know that  most people  became Osu through sex, don't forget their are OHU as well,their is this story in my town one man secretly dating an Osu woman and one morning she stood at the mans gate as people were passing by they ask her why are you standing in front of Mr emeka gates this morning is everything OK?her reply was Yesooo that's  were i slept last night,that was how Mr emeka became one,is very silly if u ask me cool
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
No wonder Africa and Africans are no different than they were 200 years ago. Backward breed. Tufiakwa. In this day and age, people are still talking about Osu. You think this is the era of Okonkwo and Things Fall Apart? Twa!!

Abeg Jesus came to set the captives free, Osu or not. Believe in him and you will be saved.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by chuks0421(m): 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
If you are an osu, come to my home town Nri (the ancestral home of the Igbos) you will be cleansed. We do not discriminate and for the mere fact that your foot stepped onto Nri soil or your blood mixed with an Nri blood, You are cleansed. This has been practiced for over 2 centuries! We are the custodian of Igbo tradition and culture and we accept everybody as free and equal, so why should some wicked and absurd clans discriminate people and tag them as osu! NONSENSE!!
So as for the question "will I marry an osu" The answer is definitely "YES" because they don't exist even if some think they do, mix with us and you are free! grin tongue grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by cja4real: 2:12pm On Feb 15, 2012
I will marry any christian girl, whether Osu,Hausa or whatever.

The essential thing is, is she saved? For the bible says, in Col 1:13 '' For He has delivered us from the power of darkness and has translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son; '' When you are bornagain all these generational bullshit ceases to apply to you. It can only exists, if you permit it,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by scribble: 2:13pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ibos are some of the MOST PREJUDICED people in the World.

Not all Ibos, but a misguided one too many.

Grow up people, its only in your mind that you are superior

stop fueling the flames of tribalism and prejudice in Nigeria

If you are all so superior, then set an example to the rest of us Nigerians
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2012
scribble:

Ibos are some of the MOST PREJUDICED people in the World.

Not all Ibos, but a misguided one too many.

Grow up people, its only in your mind that you are superior

stop fueling the flames of tribalism and prejudice in Nigeria

If you are all so superior, then set an example to the rest of us Nigerians
What example do you want igbos to set for Nigeria? as far as i know the rest of nigeria couldn't set any good example even thou they are the one ruling the country for 40 years,

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by sylvagiva(m): 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
Come to talk of it the SO-CALLED OSU'S are more favoured in the land than even the OHU'S, they have d best Doctors , Barristers Engineers they progress very fast, they are d richest in d land there girls are more beautiful and there farm produce is 1derful. While is God lifting them if they are. Well since d day i heard of d OSU'S, i told my parents well they are not against it, that i will any day any time get married to them. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by chioma134: 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
Previously,I thought osu issue would die a natural death if we all kept quiet abt it, but I now think a radical solution is needed. Don't  mind all these people here claiming they can marry osu. The pressure alone from ur family will not allow u,no matter ur level of resolve. Infact if u marry an osu,u and ur lineage after u automatically become osu,n u r sent out of ur family compd to build ur house elsewhere.
     When I was abt getting married,someone carried a malicious rumour of how my husband-to-be's grandmother was an osu. My parents told us pointblank that the marriage was over. But thank God,it turned out to be a lie.
      Osu practice is traditional,n there r traditional ways of removing d curse. But cos of civilization,people claim all men r equal n refuse to subject themselves to the traditional ways of cleansing. This is a form of denial and so the discrimination continues. Everyone claims to be civilized n will not discuss Osu in public,but in their houses they forbid their children from having any relationship with osu.
      I think some groups of people r now canvassing for the abolishment of Osu d traditional way. And if their move prospers,a day will come when d whole Igboland with their kings n priests will rise up and say "enough is enough".

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2012
Quote from NRI PRIEST, Eduga,you got me very wrong on that one. Infact I have in full knowledge the origin of osu and its growth to what it is today,  I will give you a sneak peek into the origin of umu-osu ; In the early times its very common to use humans for sacrifices for all sorts of reasons; one of them is that if you commit an abomination in the land you will be killed but after sometimes villagers stop killing these ppl but rather banish them into the evil forest where they live in isolationfrom the rest of the town eve though the land belongs to the prosecutors. Another is that villagers used to sacrifice humans to the oracle for apeasement,sacrifices for good harvest or even use them to bury the EZE ANI(like Eze Nri) but after sometime for reasons unknown to me the cold blooded sacrifices stopped but the ritual took another dimension; Now they wont be killed but sacrificed and banish into the evil forest with the rest of the rejected. Even there were non-osus who out of rebellion ran into a particular forest by eke Umuoji which a non-osu isnt suppose to set foot into,and you will forever remain an osu if you dare set your foot into that forest!! Even my mother nearly made a music out of it just to remind me not to near that forest. My point is that the osus became who they are today by different circumstances, to be continued,
From the above,every modern day armed robber and their accomplices,every corrupt politician and their friends and families,drug dealers should be branded OSU, abeg,, show me an nice OSU babe,and i,ll take her home, This topic is one of the most stupid practices i,ve ever heard of. bugggeerrss,rubbish

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 15, 2012
, @Chioma,

Previously,I thought osu issue would die a natural death if we all kept quiet abt it, but I now think a radical solution is needed. Don't mind all these people here claiming they can marry osu. The pressure alone from ur family will not allow u,no matter ur level of resolve. Infact if u marry an osu,u and ur lineage after u automatically become osu,n u r sent out of ur family compd to build ur house elsewhere.
When I was abt getting married,someone carried a malicious rumour of how my husband-to-be's grandmother was an osu. My parents told us pointblank that the marriage was over. But thank God,it turned out to be a lie.
Osu practice is traditional,n there r traditional ways of removing d curse. But cos of civilization,people claim all men r equal n refuse to subject themselves to the traditional ways of cleansing. This is a form of denial and so the discrimination continues. Everyone claims to be civilized n will not discuss Osu in public,but in their houses they forbid their children from having any relationship with osu. I think some groups of people r now canvassing for the abolishment of Osu d traditional way. And if their move prospers,a day will come when d whole Igboland with their kings n priests will rise up and say "enough is enough".

i cant believe what im reading here,, question for you madam,do you or any of your friends know of any OSU people,i want to befriend one and hopefully get married.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:37pm On Feb 15, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Explain the inlaw part,

By in-laws, I meant the village or town one married from not just one's in-laws family.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by scribble: 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2012
ak47mann:

What example do you want igbos to set for Nigeria? as far as i know the rest of nigeria couldn't set any good example even thou they are the one ruling the country for 40 years,

bros think of it this way, you guys have a long line of negative examples:

1. killing Sultan of Sokoto (suicidal move,, thank God for grace)
2. secession attempt (fueled by the delusions of grandeur of Ojukwu, he just wanted to be great, didnt care about y'all, hence his fleeing to Ivory Coast in d thick of battle)
3. the fact that this OSU nonsense is still going on till tomorrow
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by omega25red(m): 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2012
Abeg pardon my ignorance but what is OSU?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
@ SCRIBBLE

I think you deserve a live porcupine forcefully inserted into your rectum for that statement, you are seriously derailing and you know it, stop being silly pls.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:49pm On Feb 15, 2012
nedu210:

Truly osu should be abolished but am disappointed at Nri priest and obiagu1, especialy Nri priest 4 not knwin wat osu is. I dint want 2 answer afams question if he dint tell us wat he knw about osu, but let me say it, i can marry osu but ppl should knw wat they ar getting into be4.

Why should you be disappointed in me? Why should I get entangled in something I know nothing about?
You should be disappointed with the towns that still practice it not me.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 2:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
obiagu i don't no about your area in asaba such things like osu ever existed in your area,can you let us no,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
quote from scribble,
3. the fact that this OSU nonsense is still going on till tomorrow Igbos of Nigeria isnt the only place where you,ll see this type of practice, the chandalas and shudras of india are even worse,they are treated as filth, most people i know wouldnt care less about this practice,its like a redneck saying Obama shouldnt be president cos hes an african or cos he is a descendant of slaves[OHU]IN THIS CASE AN OSU, this is a practice that dates back centuries, i dont support it,most people i know dont, will i marry one, i will but i havent seen one,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by denitro(m): 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
WHAT THE HELL IS "OSU"?
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Olumogun: 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
OSU = Nothing but a mere manifestation of human wickedness.

Anywhere all these things are still going on,
they are direct opposing the Word of God
(whether Jews or Greek, free or bond),
we are all equal and the same before God.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
In my part of ibo,somewhere in Anambra. The osu of thing is not that strong, have never came across any. Bt i heard they have a settlement in one of the village in my town and were discriminated against until one of the born again bros who is a freeborn stubbornly took a wife from among them. The said village could bear to loose their son, the guy went to live with the osu people when they forbade him from bringing his osu wife amnng them. There was so much fight and confusion that the church both penticostal,anglican and catholics now use the opportunity and scrabed the osu cast.that was why I probably never met any one from place they said is osu.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Obiagu1(m): 3:01pm On Feb 15, 2012
ak47mann:

obiagu i don't no about your area in asaba such things like osu ever existed in your area,can you let us no,

I'm not from Asaba, I'm from Anaocha Anambra.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:04pm On Feb 15, 2012
I can. . . . without giving it a single thought.

I blame the Osu's for the position they still find themselves in. If I were one, I would lead the revolution. There isnt nothingh that the so caled free borns can do about it. this is 2012 for Bleep sakes.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Obiagu1(m): 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2012
chioma134:

Previously,I thought osu issue would die a natural death if we all kept quiet abt it, but I now think a radical solution is needed. Don't  mind all these people here claiming they can marry osu. The pressure alone from ur family will not allow u,no matter ur level of resolve. Infact if u marry an osu,u and ur lineage after u automatically become osu,n u r sent out of ur family compd to build ur house elsewhere.
      Osu practice is traditional,n there r traditional ways of removing d curse. But cos of civilization,people claim all men r equal n refuse to subject themselves to the traditional ways of cleansing. This is a form of denial and so the discrimination continues. Everyone claims to be civilized n will not discuss Osu in public,but in their houses they forbid their children from having any relationship with osu.
      I think some groups of people r now canvassing for the abolishment of Osu d traditional way. And if their move prospers,a day will come when d whole Igboland with their kings n priests will rise up and say "enough is enough".

Thank you very much. All those shouting I can marry an Osu are the ones that will hide under the cover of their roofs and warn their kids never to marry an Osu. Hypocrites!
Something radical has to be done about that Osu silliness instead people are paying lip service to it claiming Christians or advanced. Crap!

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2012
gbosaa:

quote from scribble,
3. the fact that this OSU nonsense is still going on till tomorrow Igbos of Nigeria isnt the only place where you,ll see this type of practice, the chandalas and shudras of india are even worse,they are treated as filth, most people i know wouldnt care less about this practice,its like a redneck saying Obama shouldnt be president cos hes an african or cos he is a descendant of slaves[OHU]IN THIS CASE AN OSU, this is a practice that dates back centuries, i dont support it,most people i know dont, will i marry one, i will but i havent seen one,

if you want to see osu come to anambra state a place in nnewi south their is a town that got 100% of osu cast living there, as i remembered outsiders don't go there to marry any of them,when i was a young boy my mum will drive me to those areas and i will sit in the car watching thinking they will have 3 legs or two heads to my surprise they were like every other person,as i grew older i drove to that town myself but i cant chat to any girl i just sit in my car and look at beautiful women trust me their girls are like mammy water,and it pains me that i cant talk to any of them,i hated that,even me going there is a risk because if i get caught my popsy will hear it and am scared of what the man will do to me so i went there on my own risk.

And the thing is that his best mate  the man is a senate in Abuja,came from that town,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 3:14pm On Feb 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

I'm not from Asaba, I'm from Anaocha Anambra.
OH ok cool
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by scribble: 3:28pm On Feb 15, 2012
gbosaa:

@ SCRIBBLE

I think you deserve a live porcupine forcefully inserted into your rectum for that statement, you are seriously derailing and you know it, stop being silly pls.

please save your homosexual fantasies for your own rectum, didirin

ak47mann:

if you want to see osu come to anambra state a place in nnewi south their is a town that got 100% of osu cast living there, as i remembered outsiders don't go there to marry any of them,when i was a young boy my mum will drive me to those areas and i will sit in the car watching thinking they will have 3 legs or two heads to my surprise they were like every other person,as i grew older i drove to that town myself but i cant chat to any girl i just sit in my car and look at beautiful women trust me their girls are like mammy water,and it pains me that i cant talk to any of them,i hated that,even me going there is a risk because if i get caught my popsy will hear it and am scared of what the man will do to me so i went there on my own risk.

And the thing is that his best mate  the man is a senate in Abuja,came from that town,

yes i can imagine d delicacies of women that would be available in such town. God will always use what the world has called foolish to confound d wise. If an Ibo president emerges, I dare say he would be from there.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
That part of our culture is bad, bad and i repeat again, bad if not evil. I would never be a part of it even if it would cost me the relationship with my kindred.

A little incident that happened to me one Christmas while i was still young and living in Nigeria change my perception for ever:

After the daily village football match, i got back home and posted up in front of my crib, as usual, waiting for the rest of the people to pass by so that i can admire some beautiful girls  since my House is situated at the major road that people pass through after matches.

It was at this point that she caught my eye and it took me quite by surprise. A girl so fine, tall and well built that i wondered how i never saw her all these years in my village since returning to the village during the Christmas period is a ritual for my family that we have never missed since i was i youngster.

Being who i was (and still am), a young man whose confidence was off the meters, i swung into action and she was the nicest girl i ever toasted in the whole of Enugu then. I walked with her up to her side of the village, about 1.5 km from mine. She introduced me to her mom and uncle and entertained me and my two friends who were with me. Afterwards i left.

Now getting back home, the news had spread across my enclave that i was chatting up an ''ohu'' girl and have strolled away with her. That was when this nonsense hit me. All my life, i saw everyone in my village as one, heard stories of slaves but discarded them as nonsense and now here i am being confronted by this demon.

Being from the most prominent Amadi family in my village, my father, who has just gotten the news from some women around our enclave, was waiting for me. Immediately i stepped into the compound, i was confronted by my father and most of the elderly men there who started preaching to me about the differences between us and them and some other jargon like that and how they can never be the same as me and bla bla bla. All these while, my thoughts were about the beautiful angel i met who treated me so nicely and how these men are here abusing her and her lineage, calling her inferior. I broke down crying.

Now long story short. I later told her all that happened and she, in return, told me that it was expected as her mother, after i left, asked her how i met her and if she knew that i was from the most prominent Amadi family. She told me that  her mother believed that i wouldn't be allowed to date her.

Shortly after that, i travelled out of Nigeria but vowed to remain in contact but you can perceive her reluctance since she said her mom told her, that no marriage has ever worked between Ohu and Amadi in my village and that the few Amadis that tried, became Ohus.

She has now married another so called Ohu guy and has grown into the most beautiful and well mannered woman i have ever seen and i am left to wonder, if i wouldn't have been the one to have her forever if not for this evil part of our culture called ''ohu and amadi''

Last time i was in Nigeria, i drove over to their place to see them and thank them for being so nice to me, even after all the names my people called them, how they are regarded and how they are treated by them and her Mom said it was a pain that they have learnt to live with.

So sad. My fellow human beings.

So to hell with that culture and anyone who supports it.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by sirAmeh(m): 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
if she have d money,i will marry her.
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by ak47mann(m): 3:54pm On Feb 15, 2012
Bandit C.:

That part of our culture is bad, bad and i repeat again, bad if not evil. I would never be a part of it even if it would cost me the relationship with my kindred.

A little incident that happened to me one Christmas while i was still young and living in Nigeria change my perception for ever:

After the daily village football match, i got back home and posted up in front of my crib, as usual, waiting for the rest of the people to pass by so that i can admire some beautiful girls  since my House is situated at the major road that people pass through after matches.

It was at this point that she caught my eye and it took me quite by surprise. A girl so fine, tall and well built that i wondered how i never saw her all these years in my village since returning to the village during the Christmas period is a ritual for my family that we have never missed since i was i youngster.

Being who i was (and still am), a young man whose confidence was off the meters, i swung into action and she was the nicest girl i ever toasted in the whole of Enugu then. I walked with her up to her side of the village, about 1.5 km from mine. She introduced me to her mom and uncle and entertained me and my two friends who were with me. Afterwards i left.

Now getting back home, the news had spread across my enclave that i was chatting up an ''ohu'' girl and have strolled away with her. That was when this nonsense hit me. All my life, i saw everyone in my village as one, heard stories of slaves but discarded them as nonsense and now here i am being confronted by this demon.

Being from the most prominent Amadi family in my village, my father, who has just gotten the news from some women around our enclave, was waiting for me. Immediately i stepped into the compound, i was confronted by my father and most of the elderly men there who started preaching to me about the differences between us and them and some other jargon like that and how they can never be the same as me and bla bla bla. All these while, my thoughts were about the beautiful angel i met who treated me so nicely and how these men are here abusing her and her lineage, calling her inferior. I broke down crying.

Now long story short. I later told her all that happened and she, in return, told me that it was expected as her mother, after i left, asked her how i met her and if she knew that i was from the most prominent Amadi family. She told me that  her mother believed that i wouldn't be allowed to date her.

Shortly after that, i travelled out of Nigeria but vowed to remain in contact but you can perceive her reluctance since she said her mom told her, that no marriage has ever worked between Ohu and Amadi in my village and that the few Amadis that tried, became Ohus.

She has now married another so called Ohu guy and has grown into the most beautiful and well mannered woman i have ever seen and i am left to wonder, if i wouldn't have been the one to have her forever if not for this evil part of our culture called ''ohu and amadi''

Last time i was in Nigeria, i drove over to their place to see them and thank them for being so nice to me, even after all the names my people called them, how they are regarded and how they are treated by them and her Mom said it was a pain that they have learnt to live with.

So sad. My fellow human beings.

So to hell with that culture and anyone who supports it.
^^

That was a sad story, but in my area ohus can marry anybody i think it was something to do with slavery OSU cast is the one that get discriminated.I feel so angry even when am dating a girl i don't bring that up cus it is a painful thing i always tell myself if i later find out that my girl comes from such linage i marry her regardless,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Mekky2010: 3:58pm On Feb 15, 2012
You can easily marry an ohu (thats th term we use in Enugu) from another state but marrying one from your village is a hell of trouble that not many ll stand, there is basically no discrimination in my town among the ohu except where marriage is concerned

After my brothers first visit to her fiance family, we were shocked to learn that in less than a week her mother secretly visited our villa for investigation,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by poweredcom(m): 4:11pm On Feb 15, 2012
Igbos, na wa oo in this 2st century you people are still discriminating your own blood, well its all up to you all, me no be Igbo sha, but am close to igbos a lot,
Re: Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
ak47mann:

^^

That was a sad story, but in my area ohus can marry anybody i think it was something to do with slavery OSU cast is the one that get discriminated.I feel so angry even when am dating a girl i don't bring that up cus it is a painful thing i always tell myself if i later find out that my girl comes from such linage i marry her regardless,

My guy eh, the thing tire me no be small.

The funny thing about this is that, if you come to my village now, the ohus part, amaochi, has become the most developed. European grade architecture and all what not everywhere. Most of them comprise the most professionals, like lawyers, Doctors, Engineers etc that emanate from my village while Amaocha, my side, has some of the laziest, give-me-handouts bunch out there but would claim the glory that the ''ohu'' professionals bring with them.

It's a pity really and i wonder who is deceiving who.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? / Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.