Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,095 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1088) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8672745 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1085) (1086) (1087) (1088) (1089) (1090) (1091) ... (14141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 12:02am On Oct 05, 2014
coogar:

rooney is finished!
when was the last time rooney took the ball past a marker? he cannot make short passes, he has no foot work, his trademark now is long sideways passing that slows down the attack.

how i wish herrera is fit for tomorrow's game to give mata all the full license to explore the space between the lines. van gaal would play fletcher the start & mata would be doing more defensive work than offensive.
rooney has Footwork na grin
Have u not seen him labour to do stepovers that would make my 100+ year old grandpa ashamed? grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 12:03am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:

We just getting our team together now with Falcao, Di Maria, Herrera just coming in. You have to allow everyone to settle before you start judging.
lol. So u knew this! Why then
Were u judging grin
* As for now Rooney is our only forward who can go past a marker. Watch this space. grin
grin grin this reply is not mine. Redirect your quote grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:05am On Oct 05, 2014
PietroRico:
that means u agree that He didn't fulfil potential, right?

When has this ever be a debate here? I don't know the target he set for himself. He has many EPL titles and a UCL trophy. If SAF had fortified the team after 2008 UCL triumph up to 2013 with great players as we are doing now, Rooney would have achieved far more. We would have won the league 6 straight years.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:10am On Oct 05, 2014
PietroRico:

grin grin this reply is not mine. Redirect your quote grin grin

That cannot be challenged na. He has better stat in this regard than RVP and Mata. RVP has stopped dribbling since last season grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:10am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

There's nothing incisive about Welbeck's short passes thou. Infact, his short passes are so predictable.
Let me also tell that Rooney's vision isn't soley based on his long ball, there are times he pulled off some fantastic throughball which Welbeck can only dream of.
Moreover, you really need to pull out your hatred when it comes to Rooney and this is coming from one of his hater.

i need you to do an assignment for me. mention one match where rooney's final third passing has been better than welbeck in the last 4 seasons. grin

PietroRico:
rooney has Footwork na grin
Have u not seen him labour to do stepovers that would make my 100+ year old grandpa ashamed? grin grin

ROONEY

Wayne Rooney is a man who I have spoken about a lot in recent weeks. He is a man who has been in the headlines a lot also. Rooney was named captain of both Manchester United and England this season and as such his performances are under increasing scrutiny. Rooney’s position, tactically, is also in question. Where does he perform best? For Manchester United the signing of Falcao has raised this question. For England the form and fluidity of Daniel Sturridge and Danny Welbeck also raise this question.

One solution that is often bandied about without much basis is the idea that Rooney should drop deep and become a top class centre-midfielder. Easier said than done. The idea has been supported by the notion that Rooney is a good technical player who can make things happen and score goals from deep. This is because as a second striker he often drops into the midfield and crowds it, looking to ping diagonal balls and get involved in the all round play.

But, such analysis is simplistic. Rooney isn’t a disciplined player. This is why Sir Alex Ferguson left him out of United’s side versus Real Madrid, preferring Danny Welbeck. He showed this when he failed to track back for England versus Italy at the World Cup. He also demonstrated this in 2012 as he could not keep close enough to Andrea Pirlo. He runs back but when he does this it is as a headless chicken, not as a tactically astute performer. This is why it’s better when he’s up front and can do less damage defensively.

An article in the Guardian recently raised a further issue. Rooney’s short passing game. His pass accuracy for the three games so far is 78.7%. Last season it was 80%. This isn’t bad but it’s not good enough for a great centre-midfield player. Rooney, like Steven Gerrard, is often guilty of playing overly complicated hollywood passes, rather than looking for the simple ball. He averaged five long balls per game last year for example, which is a lot for a forward. As stated he often drops deep and pings it.

Tactically speaking for England if he converted to a central midfielder in the current diamond, he’d be playing behind Raheem Sterling and alongside Jordan Henderson. Can he really run the left hand channel, get up and down the pitch and cover space effectively in this specialized role? I doubt it. For Manchester United this would be as a two man pair in a 3-4-1-2 formation. It’s difficult to see him creating a formidable partnership with Daley Blind. Blind would likely be left with a lot of defensive work to do and become over-run. Top class teams with good attacking midfielders would surely relish this prospect. Rooney as a midfielder simply doesn’t make sense. It is a further way that people are trying to accommodate a star who looks completely lost in modern football from a tactical sense.

more indictments against rooney's lack of football intelligence.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 12:11am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:
PietroRico:

I will show you recent videos in the coming days. Rooney still got speed and dribbling.

lol. I surf with a mobile Phone that streams with airtime(irrespective of the quantity of data available). Meaning I can't dream of streaming. I'll need to download to view.

Moral of the story
There are a million and one things to do with data that are more important than downloading your clips grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 12:13am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:

The mistake he made was to remain at Man United where SAF prefered to utilize his energy for deep roles. His deep play helped to sugar coat our midfield all these years.

Had Rooney gone to City or Madrid where the midfeid is strong he would have been regarded as one of the greatest scorers football has ever seen.
It's not SAF fault that Rooney is an unreliable inconsistent shïthead.
Play him as a striker, he roams around, won't keep his position and grumbles. Play him as a second striker, he disrupt the play and complains.
Rooney is just a jack of all trade, master of none.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:14am On Oct 05, 2014
^^^

The writer of that article knows nothing about football. If an ex player like neville, Kean is talking we can listen. Not someone who learnt football from video game or statistics. If you are not a medical doctor you are an ignoramus in medical field no matter how many books you read online. Same with football.

I can pull out a million articles critizing Van Persie including whoscored.com. Those are not coaches' opinions.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:18am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

Play him as a striker, he roams around, won't keep his position and grumbles. Play him as a second striker, he disrupt the play and complains.

If you played football you would know that there are different types of striker. Aguero is a different type of striker from hyenas like RVP and Chicharito. Moreover, Rooney has never played as a lone striker for Man United as RVP or Chicha does. The only time Rooney was so used was last season and he averaged more than a goal per match from that position.

As the second striker, Rooney has delivered the best in the history of EPL.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 12:26am On Oct 05, 2014
coogar:

i need you to do an assignment for me. mention one match where rooney's final third passing has been better than welbeck in the last 4 seasons. grin

ROONEY

more indictments against rooney's lack of football intelligence.
I aint talking of his passing but his vision. He even showcased it in the last 2 games.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 12:27am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:

When has this ever be a debate here? I don't know the target he set for himself. He has many EPL titles and a UCL trophy. If SAF had fortified the team after 2008 UCL triumph up to 2013 with great players as we are doing now, Rooney would have achieved far more. We would have won the league 6 straight years.

are u kidding me? What do u think is the cause of the endless rooney debates?

It's simply because he didn't live up to the promise of his earlier years. He didn't reach expected heights.

There are many reasons for that and the biggest contributing factor is his life style
Allowing himself to accumulate adipose by simply not working on himself.

He also had issues with some other bad habits that are not supposed to be attributed to any serious professional

I need to sleep jare.
My next reply(If need be) will be 2moro
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:34am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

I aint talking of his passing but his vision. He even showcased it in the last 2 games.

vision?
i thought we were discussing ball retention in high pressure spots on the pitch. nobody keeps the ball like welbeck in the 3 lions.

this is the stats in euro 2012. welbeck was the lead striker so he played where you cannot even say he was playing safe passes. defenders were practically breathing down his neck.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:37am On Oct 05, 2014
PietroRico:
are u kidding me? What do u think is the cause of the endless rooney debates?

It's simply because he didn't live up to the promise of his earlier years. He didn't reach expected heights.

There are many reasons for that and the biggest contributing factor is his life style
Allowing himself to accumulate adipose by simply not working on himself.

He also had issues with some other bad habits that are not supposed to be attributed to any serious professional

I need to sleep jare.
My next reply(If need be) will be 2moro

This is not the reason for Rooney's debate.

All I keep hearing is that Rooney is useless. Chicharito is better than Rooney. Welbeck is better. Beteke should be bought and Rooney sold. Lewandowsky should be bought and Rooney sold. Ba should be bought and Rooney sold. Kagawa should be played and Rooney benched. Mata should be played and Rooney benched. All these are just the few I have heard in the last 19 months I have been here.

I guess you don't know the reason for the endless debate.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 12:40am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:

If you played football you would know that there are different types of striker. Aguero is a different type of striker from hyenas like RVP and Chicharito. Moreover, Rooney has never played as a lone striker for Man United as RVP or Chicha does. The only time Rooney was so used was last season and he averaged more than a goal per match from that position.

As the second striker, Rooney has delivered the best in the history of EPL.
You forgot the Vampiro, Suarez.
Anyway, if you watch Rvp's performance for Arsenal, you would realize he's a more rounded player. The fact that Sir Alex turned him into an out and out striker doesn't make him a poacher. Even then, he's still a player that can pull off the unthinkable.
As for Rooney, Apart from his vision and finishing skill, his play is nothing like a SS.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 12:47am On Oct 05, 2014
coogar:

vision?
i thought we were discussing ball retention in high pressure spots on the pitch. nobody keeps the ball like welbeck in the 3 lions.

this is the stats in euro 2012. welbeck was the lead striker so he played where you cannot even say he was playing safe passes. defenders were practically breathing down his neck.

Nope. I was talking of Welbeck's poor decision making and how his link-up play is nothing but meaningless short passes.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:49am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

spot on.......as observed by this pundit!

WHY ROONEY IS A BAD NUMBER 10

Coming to England and Manchester United's number 10, Wayne Rooney has a long history of not tracking the opposition's deep playmaker. From Sergio Busquets in the 2011 Champions League final to Pirlo in the Euro 2012, Sir Alex finally realised this fact and dropped him for the second leg against Real Madrid in Champions League quarter finals 2013. With Xabi Alonso controlling the tempo for Real, it was vital that United had someone to disrupt him and Danny Welbeck did this job perfectly until he was shifted out wide after Nani was sent off. For all his qualities, Rooney lacks the discipline to play the role to perfection.

He often gets impatient without the ball and starts dropping deeper and deeper. This might seem like "He is helping his team out" or "He is a team player" but adhering to tactical instructions is key and Rooney doesn't have the required discipline to do that. His close control and his first touch aren't good enough and the inherent ability to drop between lines which is a must for any Number 10 doesn't come natural for Rooney as he always looks to move towards the ball rather than wait for it.

He doesn't have the nimble feet nor the ability to turn in tight places, he can still bulldoze through defences and of course has a very good finish in him. Wayne Rooney had his best season during 2009-10 when he playing as a lone striker up front, he scored a career best 34 goals that season. His vision and his long diagonal balls are still exceptional and maybe a couple of years down the line with more experience he can prolong his career by playing deeper.

The main problem for Rooney is that he is the jack of all trades rather than the master of one, he can pass, he can shoot, he can tackle, he can run and has boundless energy. Which means he can put a decent shift wherever he plays on the park. This coupled with his energy and his selflessness on the pitch means he is rarely present in the area from where he can inflict the most damage.

Louis van Gaal has to find a solution for this problem as Manchester United have two very good number 10s in Kagawa and Mata and a lethal striker in Robin Van Persie. Whether Rooney is ok with reverting back to playing on the left which he did during the days of Ronaldo and Tevez is doubtful. And for Roy Hodgson, the question is whether he will opt to play both Sturridge and Rooney or only Rooney upfront.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:53am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

You forgot the Vampiro, Suarez.

Suarez is a lead striker. But he also drops deep.

Shirley07:

Anyway, if you watch Rvp's performance for Arsenal, you would realize he's a more rounded player. The fact that Sir Alex turned him into an out and out striker doesn't make him a poacher. Even then, he's still a player that can pull off the unthinkable.

Van Persie has always been that kind of player who makes everyone else work for him. That is why his goals are mostly from around the 12 yard mark. When he is in a team, the other players don't get the chance to score. When he left Arsenal, other players got liberated and started scoring. It helped the team.

SAF brought him and started playing differently from the counter attack United was used to. Nani, Valencia, Young, carrick, Welbeck, Anderson, Chicha all got their football skills killed and buried because United adopted something strange. Everyone working for one man. If City had put up 90% challenge of what they did the previous season, United wouldn't be champion. United actually did better the previous season without RVP, it's just that City were flawless.

Shirley07:

As for Rooney, Apart from his vision and finishing skill, his play is nothing like a SS.

Are you kidding me. Where did Rooney play in 2012/13 when we won the title? Where did he play in 2010/11 when we won the title? Where did he play in 2011/12 when we gathered the highest performance ever on the log? You haven't been watching Man United very well.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:54am On Oct 05, 2014
Shirley07:

Nope. I was talking of Welbeck's poor decision making and how his link-up play is nothing but meaningless short passes.

of course, rooney is a better finisher than welbeck. he's got more fear factor than welbeck.....but i think that's where it ends.

welbeck's passes aren't meaningless....he helps his team retain possession - although this may also mean he lacks the confidence to shoot....but i think he was never really given a chance to thrive as a centre forward with us.

welbeck will score 20 goals for arsënal this season debarring any injury. the system at arsenal is designed to work for him & they would feed him till he chokes. i am happy for him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:03am On Oct 05, 2014
Alan Shearer:

I would have him in behind Sturridge, where he has proven himself time and time again, and move Sterling to the right, where he plays for Liverpool the vast majority of the time. play him at all.

Hodgson felt Rooney played well last night when he was on the left in the first half. If that was the case, why did he swap him over to the right for the second half?
Rooney was unhappy and uncomfortable out there and I understand why. We should not be playing our top goalscorer out of position. Put him where he can do some damage.
He has got 39 goals for England and is only 10 off Sir Bobby Charlton's record.
At the age of 28 he could and probably should go on and break it - but he won't if he is playing out of position.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27845815

Look at Rooney's England goals record from the number 10 position. He also has astonishing goals record from the number 10 position for Man United coupled with excellent work rate.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:09am On Oct 05, 2014
cdamsel:
Only thing way carry me come here na spelling of entrance grin
My sweetest. how yhu dhey na?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 1:14am On Oct 05, 2014
coogar:

of course, rooney is a better finisher than welbeck. he's got more fear factor than welbeck.....but i think that's where it ends.

welbeck's passes aren't meaningless....he helps his team retain possession - although this may also mean he lacks the confidence to shoot....but i think he was never really given a chance to thrive as a centre forward with us.

welbeck will score 20 goals for arsënal this season debarring any injury. the system at arsenal is designed to work for him & they would feed him till he chokes. i am happy for him.
You still don't get me. I'm not talking of their finishing nor passing skill but their creativity inside the 18 yard box. The thing Welbeck often have a brain collapse as soon as he gets near the box and instead of making a penetrative pass, he either picks the wrong player or trips on his leg.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:15am On Oct 05, 2014
* Last season Rooney was criticized for playing too deep. But when Kagawa was featured in the number 10, he played deeper in the midfield than Rooney.

* In 2012/13, heat map between Rooney and Mata showed that Rooney played deep in midfield (apparently due to our wek midfield) but in the second half of the season when Phil Jones played in the midfield, Rooney was pushed higher up the pitch by SAF. Then his stats were far more impressive than Mata's.

I submitted a link which illustarted this. Hpefully I will search this out at dawn.

Let's hope we win today. Enuf argument now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Shirley07: 1:40am On Oct 05, 2014
elampiro:

Suarez is a lead striker. But he also drops deep.

Van Persie has always been that kind of player who makes everyone else work for him. That is why his goals are mostly from around the 12 yard mark. When he is in a team, the other players don't get the chance to score. When he left Arsenal, other players got liberated and started scoring. It helped the team.

SAF brought him and started playing differently from the counter attack United was used to. Nani, Valencia, Young, carrick, Welbeck, Anderson, Chicha all got their football skills killed and buried because United adopted something strange. Everyone working for one man. If City had put up 90% challenge of what they did the previous season, United wouldn't be champion. United actually did better the previous season without RVP, it's just that City were flawless.

Are you kidding me. Where did Rooney play in 2012/13 when we won the title? Where did he play in 2010/11 when we won the title? Where did he play in 2011/12 when we gathered the highest performance ever on the log? You haven't been watching Man United very well.

Suarez was deployed in a withdrawn striking role behind Sturridge and Sterling last season, similar to how Rooney has been deployed in the last 2 games.
On Rvp, he wasn't just a striker for Arsenal, he was their source of creativity in his last season for Arsenal. Infact, Rvp and Song were Arsenal's most important players that season and do tell me the players that stepped out of Rvp's shadow as soon as he left?
Lastly, when I say Rooney's play is nothing like a SS, it means he doesn't play like one evethough he's deployed in that role. The second striker/false 9 role requires intelligent movement and awareness, good short interplay, appreciation of space and superb techniques. Rooney showed none of these in that role. As a matter of fact, Totti and Messi are still the master in that role. Ibra and Suarez are not slouch either.
Abeg, I wan sleep.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BinghiNya(m): 2:31am On Oct 05, 2014
Elamps better channel your efforts to better things, their criticism of rooney won't affect his weekly wages nor change the good works he has done for both country and club, the managers rooney played under should be termed foolish for playing a poor player for over a decade, wazza the double captain, united fan's home and abroad love your contributions and passion for united.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitlad: 3:41am On Oct 05, 2014
afrodoc2: Yeh! Who taught Elampiro how to post videos? This thread is in trouble cry

grin cheesy grin

You better pray he doesn't learn how to make GIFs out of those videos. Na that time gangangan kasala enter una thread, cos na im go burn all of una data finish.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 6:24am On Oct 05, 2014
nitlad:

grin cheesy grin

You better pray he doesn't learn how to make GIFs out of those videos. Na that time gangangan kasala enter una thread, cos na im go burn all of una data finish.
grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by cdamsel(f): 7:30am On Oct 05, 2014
JayKayMaybachz:
My sweetest. how yhu dhey na?
I am fine o,how was ur salah?
Nobody call me to come chop salah food cry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 7:46am On Oct 05, 2014
Di Maria v Everton - 5 assists in 3
games
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:37am On Oct 05, 2014
cdamsel:
I am fine o,how was ur salah?
Nobody call me to come chop salah food cry
My salah been jhust dey like that ooo! ! Nobody kall me kwa
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by cdamsel(f): 10:07am On Oct 05, 2014
JayKayMaybachz:
My salah been jhust dey like that ooo! ! Nobody kall me kwa
o well,thank God say today na sunday, pls come chop rice & chicken
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 10:24am On Oct 05, 2014
I can't believe what am reading in dis thread? Wayne Rooney is not good as a striker, he doesn't hv d movement blah blah blah...

...in 2009/2010 season who was our main focal point of attack? in 2007/2008 n in 2008/2009 who were d deadliest attacking duo in EPL n in Europe? d fact is Rooney is a game changer n he is versatile i.e he can play as a winger,a supporting striker(which brings d best outta him),an attacking midfielder, a defensive midfielder n finally a left back but being versatile does not mk u d master of all positions n as far as I know, he is at his best playing behind d striker not in d midfield.... as I know, Sir Alex Ferguson loves versatile players n his squad was full of versatile players who can switch roles when needed...n dats why Rooney was able to fill in d midfield role in 2011/2012 season n even played d defensive midfield role against Otelu Galati in d UCL dat season but u should know, its not his position n dis season, he's being played out of position cos we hv falcao now so don't expect him to do wonders dia...Wayne Rooney is a wonderful striker n is still adapting to being captain of both his club n country n let me tell u,it ain't easy at all...

...let's just pray n hope dat Juan mata fills in perfectly in dat role so dat we will hv a good game today...we need to outscore Everton if we r to win dis match... #UpManUtd

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:47am On Oct 05, 2014
cdamsel:
o well,thank God say today na sunday, pls come chop rice & chicken
grin. Thank you jarte... Abe pm me wen tym reach

(1) (2) (3) ... (1085) (1086) (1087) (1088) (1089) (1090) (1091) ... (14141) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: afrodoc2, zeusis(m), Leyqute(m), Afz9095(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.