Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8724831 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (14147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 9:30pm On May 25, 2012
with berbatov and owen both leaving and park either leaving or remaining as a non-factor we r already minus 3 in d attack department.2 or 3 injuries next season and we r grasping at straws again! we need someone like kagawa cos he is a good option to have even off d bench and he is VERSATILE and can solve problems in up to 3 positions if there r injuries PLUS he is relatively cheap.in central midfield we need TWO players a young strong DM with pace n decent technique like M'vila or Tiote( though tiote is older n wit less tecnical ability n less discipline).d LB spot i have been talking abt for up to 2 seasons now bt some pple here were blaming all on lack of cover in front of Evra.Man City will buy players and improve,lets nt imagine dt adding just 1 player will close d gap.it might close d gap on this season's City side but not on nxt season's City side
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 9:31pm On May 25, 2012
coogar:

caucasian! are you jealous?

we don't need any of kagawa or hazard. surplus to requirements.
i doubt hazard is better than nani, kagawa cannot be better than wayne rooney
so what are they going to add to the array of stars in our attack department.

the defence is where the problems are....de gea is settled now but the back
four and the defensive midfielder who would provide the shield to protect the
centre-halves. united don't need too many changes...and if at all, fergie wants to
bring new talents, the left back position and yann m'villa should be targeted.

Hazard can play behind Rooney in a 4-2-3-1 system, people forget that is his natural/favorite position. A front-four of

Valencia-Hazard-Nani
Rooney

will strike fear into any defense. Hazard is a massive improvement over Welbeck and co. When defenders see Danny leading the line, their confidence soars! grin grin grin

Personally, i think HUNTELAAR with just a year left on his contract would be an absolute steal and will blend into United's style perfectly.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:38pm On May 25, 2012
ritchboy:

Hazard can play behind Rooney in a 4-2-3-1 system, people forget that is his natural/favorite position. A front-four of

Valencia-Hazard-Nani
Rooney

will strike fear into any defense. Hazard is a massive improvement over Welbeck and co. When defenders see Danny leading the line, their confidence soars! grin grin grin

Personally, i think HUNTELAAR with just a year left on his contract would be an absolute steal and will blend into United's style perfectly.

£32m to play behind rooney? phuck that - it's a waste of precious dolo...

valencia - young - nani
---------rooney--------

how about that instead of wasting £32m on someone who isn't an upgrade of
what we currently have? the defensive side of the squad is the problem
evra and a defensive midfielder is all we need. ashley young can play
through the middle. he's played there for england in recent times and he's
scored good goals n assisted rooney....let arsenal or chelsea have hazard.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 10:00pm On May 25, 2012
coogar:

£32m to play behind rooney? phuck that - it's a waste of precious dolo...

valencia - young - nani
---------rooney--------

how about that instead of wasting £32m on someone who isn't an upgrade of
what we currently have? the defensive side of the squad is the problem
evra and a defensive midfielder is all we need. ashley young can play
through the middle. he's played there for england in recent times and he's
scored good goals n assisted rooney....let arsenal or chelsea have hazard.

You'll be sorry!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:07pm On May 25, 2012
ritchboy:

You'll be sorry!

we don't lack creativity....we scored 89 goals for feck's sake...
where did the goals come from? if we had conceded less goals, the title
woulda been retained. but we conceded 4 against everton, 3 against blackburn,
6 against city - all at old trafford. that was where the title got lost.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 10:55pm On May 25, 2012
I think at the highest level our attack is still not good enough so it could do with some kagawa/hazard style tweaking.

I do agree that a Javi Martinez/M'Villa style midfielder might be a more urgent need right now but i think realistically we should be looking at 3 players.

Fabio heavily linked with a loan move to Porto or QPR.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 11:10pm On May 25, 2012
At the same time, You wouldn't expect us to be shopping in Waitrose any more as we simply cannot afford to compete financially against City or Chelsea.

Also, Fergie was admitted in hospital last week for a night due to a nose bleed.

David Whelan ( Wigan Chairman) has been opening his big mouth about everything possible and claims this coming season will be SAF's last.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:20pm On May 25, 2012
Mr_TA: At the same time, You wouldn't expect us to be shopping in Waitrose any more as we simply cannot afford to compete financially against City or Chelsea.

Also, Fergie was admitted in hospital last week for a night due to a nose bleed.

David Whelan ( Wigan Chairman) has been opening his big mouth about everything possible and claims this coming season will be SAF's last.

with the high interest rate we pay to remove the glazer debt, this
is the time to spend wisely. our biggest worry is failing to replace
owen hargreaves. attacking wise, we are not bad at all. i trust
valencia, young, nani, rooney, chicharito and welbeck to cause havoc....
adding eden hazard to the crew will not improve the defence......
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:25am On May 26, 2012
For once I agree with coogar.
When he's not Anderson-worshipping, he can really be rational.
Yes M'Villa should fit like a glove for us.Truth is, Hazard may not be what we're looking for.Check the Ashley Young signing.
Kagawa might b useful if we deploy him behind a front two.do we have the players to carry that out?
Both are looking like we don't need them.Hazard is just being silly not opening up to where he wants to go.He sounds over-rated to me.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:36am On May 26, 2012
StarBoard: For once I agree with coogar.
When he's not Anderson-worshipping, he can really be rational.
Yes M'Villa should fit like a glove for us.Truth is, Hazard may not be what we're looking for.Check the Ashley Young signing.
Kagawa might b useful if we deploy him behind a front two.do we have the players to carry that out?
Both are looking like we don't need them.Hazard is just being silly not opening up to where he wants to go.He sounds over-rated to me.

anderson-worshipping? oliveira anderson?
he's a beast....much better than eden hazard that we
want to spend £32m to get.....

get me yann m'vila and debosky's cousin(mapou yanga-mbiwa)
and i am ready to challenge city next season.
£32m can be saved to buy the remainder of the contract of
scholes/giggs/owen/js park.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 1:02pm On May 26, 2012
Complacency and over-confidence has started to set in. We need at least 2 midfield signings. This is our present midfield excluding wingers

1. Carrick - 31y/o Quality and easily our best midfielder, but his lose of energy and mobility has kept him playing very deep playing as deep lying midfielder.
2. Anderson- 24y/o All potential, no real continuity. The only thing consistent about him is that he will miss at least half the games in a season through fitness concerns.
3. Fletcher- 28y/o Very serious doubt regarding whether he will even play again, much less play at his previous level again for a sustained period.
4. Cleverley - 23y/o Showed a brief glimpse of potential, but not much to call him an established first teamer. We have seen the likes of Chadwick do well initially before problems.
5. Giggs & Scholes - around 76y/o cumulatively. No doubt legends, but no longer can or should be major contributors week in week out.

This is our present midfield contingent. One player who may never ever return, much less at his previous standard (which was hardly POTY worthy). Another who has shown not just inconsistency in his play, but in his availability for selection as well. Another who has shown brief flashes of potential but barely demonstrated much so far in United colors. Also 2 aging veterans whose continual inclusions on match days has not only the opposition teams hopeful, but United fans in a state of worry. Carrick is the only player there without a huge ?.

We continually complain when we see Giggs and Scholes in the starting line-up. Yet some think we can do with only one addition. Wasn't SAF's justification for not making one if not two central midfield signings last summer that Pogba was ready to step up. Guess what he isn't around anymore. We need more than one.

Do people think City and the rest of Europe will stand still. If Scholes hadn't come out of retirement we would have lost the EPL by March. We just lost EPL after uncharacteristically running out gas in the final stretch of the season, despite having no outside commitments but the league. That is what happens when you have a combined almost 80 years and lethargic Carrick in the engine room at the heart of the team. We made it as far 5th round of the league cup, 4th round of the f.a cup, didn't get past the group stages in the UCL despite having the easiest group and blew the title with an 8 point lead, much easier final fixture schedule and no excuse about distractions from playing multiple competitions.

Is our goal to finish high next season or to regain our league title as well make a serious run in Europe at the same time. Remember when we had Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Giggs playing and contesting central midfield in 07/08. That was a clear collection of quality and the competition brought out the best in them and the team. That is what we badly need now.

Instead this our situation. Scholes and Giggs whom are really past it at the level we hope to attain, Anderson who has proved to be unreliable, Fletcher who now has major fitness concerns. Tom C is the only new face and we aren't even sure what we have in him yet.

We need more than one midfield signing, else we could be here next year asking the same questions.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 26, 2012
montelik: Complacency and over-confidence has started to set in. We need at least 2 midfield signings. This is our present midfield excluding wingers

This is our present midfield contingent. One player who may never ever return, much less at his previous standard (which was hardly POTY worthy). Another who has shown not just inconsistency in his play, but in his availability for selection as well. Another who has shown brief flashes of potential but barely demonstrated much so far in United colors. Also 2 aging veterans whose continual inclusions on match days has not only the opposition teams hopeful, but United fans in a state of worry. Carrick is the only player there without a huge ?.

We continually complain when we see Giggs and Scholes in the starting line-up. Yet some think we can do with only one addition. Wasn't SAF's justification for not making one if not two central midfield signings last summer that Pogba was ready to step up. Guess what he isn't around anymore. We need more than one.

Do people think City and the rest of Europe will stand still. If Scholes hadn't come out of retirement we would have lost the EPL by March. We just lost EPL after uncharacteristically running out gas in the final stretch of the season, despite having no outside commitments but the league. That is what happens when you have a combined almost 80 years and lethargic Carrick in the engine room at the heart of the team. We made it as far 5th round of the league cup, 4th round of the f.a cup, didn't get past the group stages in the UCL despite having the easiest group and blew the title with an 8 point lead, much easier final fixture schedule and no excuse about distractions from playing multiple competitions.

Is our goal to finish high next season or to regain our league title as well make a serious run in Europe at the same time. Remember when we had Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Giggs playing and contesting central midfield in 07/08. That was a clear collection of quality and the competition brought out the best in them and the team. That is what we badly need now.

Instead this our situation. Scholes and Giggs whom are really past it at the level we hope to attain, Anderson who has proved to be unreliable, Fletcher who now has major fitness concerns. Tom C is the only new face and we aren't even sure what we have in him yet.

We need more than one midfield signing else we could be here next year asking the same questions.
I'm glad you are toeing my line of argument. We've needed the signing since Owen H. sent down.
Even when we won the title last year it was obvious our middle was creacky.To my surprise Fergie didn't bolster the middle, thinking that we didn't need to when it was obvious that it was the main reason Barcelona beat us at Wembley.
Like you pointed out, I expect Darren Fletcher will not be anywhere near the influential beast he was 2008/9, if he doesn't retire.Wecant say for sure Tom Cleverley is Paul Scholes' heir apparent, and Anderson isn't who we bought he'd be for us.For all Mchael Carrick's efficiency and workmanlike attributes, his mellow personality isn't anywhere closest to Roy Keane's domineering displays.That Giggs/Scholes are still playing is an indictment on our central midfield.
At this stage I agree we need more than one midfield signing.Coogar brought up M'Villa, I think he'd be the right choice.Then we could think of another creative option upfront.At least, for competition's sake, we'd know they would force the old people into retirement.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 5:59pm On May 26, 2012
people were shouting abt how poor d midfield was during the season and now dt d season is over they r now claiming we need just 1 midfielder? seriously?
do u tink City will sit still at d spot they ended dis season? and i see wt they want is just one DM,i thot carrick was d best thing since vulcanized rubber? we need 2 central midfielders,one more defensive and one for creativity.y do u think united's fortunes improved when scholesy came back? do u tink scholes improved our ATTACK or our DEFENCE? without scholes' creativity the team is nt as good going forward so we DEFINITELY need another creative force in midfield(preferably one dt can tackle better n run for longer periods than scholes).we also need a powerful n pacy midfielder to b a gud alternative to carrick and who can at least SLOW DOWN if nt exactly stop yaya toure when we meet.since we r losing 2 strikers we need one more striking option unless SAF is finally going to dump d 4-4-2 and go for d more effective 4-2-3-1.
if the perennially injured anderson and d injury prone cleverly stay fit and deliver thruot next season ,let it b just a BONUS! we cannot plan next season on d premise that both anderson n cleverly will stay fit all season.if by some bad luck they cop injuries again we will b left wit scholes,giggs n carrick again! God forbid.SAF has said people will b going on loan nxt season so dt should clear room for 2 players in central midfield plus a versatile forward in kagawa and either a striker or a leftback(whichever is d area of greatest need according to SAF).
berba,owen,possibly park,fabio,fletcher will not b with us at d start of next season.that is minus 5 already without counting d possible yearly injuries to ando n tomC.We need at least 4 players and 2 should b in midfield
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:57pm On May 26, 2012
what a goal by ashley young!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 8:37pm On May 26, 2012
A peach of a goal from A.Young
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 12:08pm On May 27, 2012
coogar:

you want kagawa? what would kagawa add to what we already have?
fergie is just a goat....all we need is a defensive midfielder in the
mould of makelele, javi martinez, essien, de rossi!

m'vila is the closest to that. a beast of a player who would look
into yaya toure's eyes and power-slam him to the floor, rip out his
vocal cords so he won't even have the voice to moan to the referee.

117 tackles and 94 interceptions copped for rennes....
he makes 7.7 accurate long ball per game...he's 21 and he's as fit
as fucck....starting all the 38 league games of the season.

kagawa, my left white buttock.

Why wont I want Kagawa? We need an attacking midfielder and a defensive one.
Kagawa will be a good buy rather than spending 30 odd million on Hazard. Should we keep relying on Scholes and Giggs? Haven't you said on here they should retire?

Or we should keep faith with Fletcher who may never even play again.
We are short of bodies in midfield especially when injury strikes. That is why Rafael and Park both played CM against Blackburn.

And about the DM situation, I've said it numerous times here that we are the only team in the top four (probably even in elite Europe) without a natural DM. We need a player that will just sit there and make us solid.

And also before people start speculating about who to buy , we need to be sure what system/formation Fergie would employ for next season first.
It seems Fergie will stick to his traditional 4-4-2. The man is stubborn.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 6:12pm On May 27, 2012
chamotex:

Kagawa will be a good buy rather than spending 30 odd million on Hazard. Should we keep relying on Scholes and Giggs? Haven't you said on here they should retire?

We are short of bodies in midfield especially when injury strikes. That is why Rafael and Park both played CM against Blackburn.

And about the DM situation, I've said it numerous times here that we are the only team in the top four (probably even in elite Europe) without a natural DM. We need a player that will just sit there and make us solid.

And also before people start speculating about who to buy , we need to be sure what system/formation Fergie would employ for next season first.

well said.not adding to our attacking midfield when so much burden was placed on d geriatric scholes would be very foolish IMO.we also need a quick,powerful DM who runs,tackles n is ready for physical battles(bt should b a decent passer as well).there r too many always injured,usually injured and aged men in our midfield for us to add just ONE player.and yes fergie better switch to 4-2-3-1
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 6:14pm On May 27, 2012
chamotex:

well said.we cant rely on the geriatric scholes all d tym ,esp as he is getting even older PLUS practically all d other options we have in d squad have injury or health issues.we need a defensive midfielder nd an attacking midfielder of first rate quality
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 8:39pm On May 27, 2012
Is anyone watching the France vs Iceland friendly?
Evra is totally finished.
Abeg Ferguson find us a new LB too, not an understudy.
Is this our Patrice? shocked
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 9:16pm On May 27, 2012
LOOOL see fear.evra started finishing after d world cup,esp d 2nd half of d 2010/2011 season.no b today i don dey shout am but some felt d blame lay elsewhere.
right from dt time he stopped running wit wingers to get a final block in.his favourite move then n more so now is to stand facing d winger square and at d earliest opportunity lazily stretch his left leg out to stop d winger.once he misses d tackle which he usually does the space behind him is soooooo OPEN! d guy put vidic in trouble several times with that move
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 9:31pm On May 27, 2012
also when he goes forward to attack he rarely gets back in time to help d defence,he has no recovery rate.also his positioning has gone down as he has gotten older which is very strange cos experience is supposed to improve things like positioning n decision making.there r times United has been under pressure for 2-3 minutes straight and yet when d ball gets to evra's area he is nowhere to b found,sometimes he is up d field or lost somewhere close to d centre circle.
we do need a LB,i am hoping fryers is d guy to step in so dt we can spend money on d midfield
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:34pm On May 27, 2012
evra jogs back when he should be bursting his lungs to salvage dangerous
situations. i cannot count the number of goals united have lost because
evra wasn't properly positioned
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 1:39am On May 28, 2012
Fergie was at Wembley yesterday to watch Nick Powell.
Rumour has it we are in pole position to sign him.
One for the future, not bad for an 18 yr old.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:34am On May 28, 2012
And Nick Powell is th one we should be signing in a bid to regain our EPL crown.
Fergie.shaking my damn head.
I know we need a striker, but do we have to go this low?What's his track record?
While others are getting reputable strikers, our coach goes to see an unheard of,overrated English player (reminds me of Ashley Young).
Maybe Dave Whelan is right.Fergie is losing it.
Evra?please He's been wasted for like 2 1/2years.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 6:32am On May 28, 2012
At this rate, we might not even finish 3rd, never minding our ambitions of regaining our trophy and making a serious dent in Europe.
First Bebe, now a League Two (4th tier) player.
And they want us to buy their table-cloth jerseys with Powell inscribed at the back.
It's obvious Fergie doesn't know what in the world he's doing anymore.
The debacle of last season hasnt hit his old , soft head.
Fergie's signings of late haven't been anywhere impressive, at least. Aside from Tony Valencia(and maybe Hernandez), we've brought in mostly crap in the last 3 years:Obertan,Owen, Ashley Young,Phil Jones,Bebe.Enough dross to fill in a dumpster.Folks who can't add anything new to our already stagnated dimension.
I guess the impending signing of an 18-yr old League two Player is in order, given the recent trend of marabouts who come to OT these days.
I Siddon Look.Before know-it-alls on this thread (some with hot air and no sense of logic) savage me for airing my opinions.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:32am On May 28, 2012
StarBoard: And Nick Powell is th one we should be signing in a bid to regain our EPL crown.
I know we need a striker, but do we have to go this low?What's his track record?
While others are getting reputable strikers, our coach goes to see an unheard of,overrated English player (reminds me of Ashley Young).

dude calm down now! haha, u just lost the title on goals difference!!

besides, if fergie had this kinda attitude, you guys would not have wayne rooney today. apparently the nick boy is not bad at all. isaw this article on him today, he seems very good for a youth player

http://www.football365.com/faves/7782105/Nick-Powell-Would-Be-A-Coup-For-United

For the past 18 months my Grandad has been badgering me about the brilliance of Nick Powell.

As a lifelong Crewe Alexandra fan, his support spanning more than 80 years (I'm not allowed to reveal his actual age), he's seen plenty of skillful players turn out for the Railwaymen. But none, he says, have ever had as much potential as the 18-year-old forward linked with a £4million move to Manchester United.

I have to admit, the first time Grandad sang Powell's praises, I thought he may have had a few too many pints of mild. Given the quality players Crewe have produced in the past, it was certainly a bold claim.

I trusted that Powell was good, but was he honestly a better prospect than Dean Ashton, scorer of 74 goals for the Alex in his first five seasons as a professional? "Yes," was Grandad's reply. Better than Danny Murphy, who helped the club climb into the second tier of English football for the first time since 1896 before leaving for Liverpool? "Definitely." Even better than David Platt, who Dario Gradi snapped up as a teenager after his release from Man United and averaged more than a goal every three games before going on to win 62 England caps? "Yes. Matt, how long is this going to go on for? I'm playing bingo in half an hour."

It was emphatic approbation indeed, from a man who once refused to put one of my drawings on the fridge because I'd accidentally coloured over the lines.

After watching the youngster curl in his first senior goal in Crewe's 3-1 win against AFC Wimbledon in October, I could see that Grandad hadn't been exaggerating, unlike his stories about being voted Mr.Cheshire for ten years in a row during his twenties. Here was a player built in the Gradi ethic. Always with his head up, Powell had excellent control, the ability to dribble past defenders and bags of determination.

"With kids we talk about can you get hold of the ball and can you do something with it. Can you keep the ball? Can you pass and move?" Gradi told the Guardian when he was presented with the Contribution to League Football Award in 2011. In his latest prodigy, Crewe's academy chief - who managed the club for over 25 years - has helped nurture those vital and evident attributes.

An England under-18 international, Powell clearly has a bright future ahead of him. After scoring 14 goals in 38 league matches for Crewe this season, he became the first player to pick up all five of the club's end of season awards, including Goal of the Season for this fabulous strike against Gillingham. When a player is acknowledged as being both the Young Player and Player of the Year, you know he's pretty special.

One man who apparently agrees is Sir Alex Ferguson. After receiving glowing reports of Powell from United's scouts, the manager made a personal visit to watch the youngster in action in Crewe's last game of the league campaign against Aldershot. Again Powell didn't fail to impress, helping his side recover from going behind to secure a playoff place.

And despite a gruelling first full season in professional football, the striker saved his best for last, scoring a wonder-goal at Wembley as Crewe achieved promotion thanks to a 2-0 victory over Cheltenham. With just 15 minutes on the clock, Powell picked up the ball on the edge of the area, before turning superbly and rifling across the goal into the top corner. If the move to United is completed, it will prove a fitting leaving present.

"You can't do what Barcelona do if your players aren't as good as their players. Although it looks easy, to receive the ball under pressure, it requires a really high level of skill," Gradi once said. "Plus you can't teach the confidence, the mental side of that kind of play."

Grandad might hold back from suggesting Powell is good enough to play for Barcelona, but should Man United part with the proposed £4million for the 18-year-old's signature, they will acquire a precocious talent with the requisite self-assurance described by Gradi.

Indeed, just over two months ago Powell was younger than the legal drinking age. On May 27 he was given the man of the match champagne following a sparkling performance in the League Two playoff final. Finishing the season as the Railwaymen's top scorer, Powell has already spearheaded one successful project of building with youth. It's now time to play a part in a second.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 8:00am On May 28, 2012
The only thing reliable about Evra these days is him providing quotes to media. Now he is cheer-leading for Hazard, even though nothing has confirmed our interest.

As one of the Evra "defenders" last season. I will like to point out that there is no denying he has been sliding since the start of 2010. But I still believe if we get a genuine left footed winger who provides real width, Evra's performance should improve. He wouldn't need to play every game or bombard forward constantly.

Since Patrice displaced Heinze, we haven't had a genuine left winger. Instead we have had a succession of predominantly right footed guy playing on left (Park, CR7, Nani, Obertan, Young). This often means we badly need Evra to get forward and provide the real stretching width. Its the reason he beat out Heinze who was slightly the better defender. Evra could provide width going forward after Giggs decline, that Heinze couldn't. We need a genuine left footed winger.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:14am On May 28, 2012
4llerbuntu:

dude calm down now! haha, u just lost the title on goals difference!!

besides, if fergie had this kinda attitude, you guys would not have wayne rooney today. apparently the nick boy is not bad at all. isaw this article on him today, he seems very good for a youth player

http://www.football365.com/faves/7782105/Nick-Powell-Would-Be-A-Coup-For-United

I'm pretty sure I know what I mean when I say this is NOT what we need.
There are several talented and gifted players in England.But is he going to be able to make it at United?Bebe was signed from the portuguese third tier.His loan spell was even worse than his first year at United.is he ever going to come good?
League Two and Premier League are three divisions away..The gulf he has to step up to is something else.
We don't need this.Its useless, hunchback,half-assed signings like these that made us piss away a title we had in the bag, goal difference or not.BOTTOM LINE-City are Premier League Champions, it doesn't matter how. I don't need to Remind us all about my feelings on this past title race.
So I repeat:if we're looking to bounce back from a sad anti-climactic season in emphatic style, Nick Powell isn't the answer.Not in this day and age.Never mind what any grandpa or self-important writer on goal365.com or wherever says. The last time I checked, Victor Ikpeba and Mumuni Alao had opinions of their own as "soccer pundits".
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 10:47am On May 28, 2012
StarBoard: And Nick Powell is th one we should be signing in a bid to regain our EPL crown.

Starboard, calm down. He is 18, he is one for the future.
I'm sure they are looking to groom him.
The rumour suggested he might probably be allowed to stay on loan for a couple of seasons to further his development.
It's all speculation at this moment anyway.

Now tell me who you think United should buy for next season and why
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 28, 2012
chamotex:

Starboard, calm down. He is 18, he is one for the future.
I'm sure they are looking to groom him.
The rumour suggested he might probably be allowed to stay on loan for a couple of seasons to further his development.
It's all speculation at this moment anyway.

Now tell me who you think United should buy for next season and why
For all the hot air David Gill was blowing, it's amazing to think Nick Powell is the subject of the discussion.
Whether rumour or not,someone explain to me why he is even up for debate as regards transfer policy.
Besides, the excuse for grooming is as annoying as the purchases of late.
Nicky Ajose, Danny Drinkwater,Michael Keane,Ravel Morrison and co were supposedly groomed for the future.
Where are they now?The squad that won the youth FA cup?what happened to them?
In fact I do not know what we are doing with the supposed academy when we get these youngsters from elsewhere.
Besides, rumour or not, I hear a deal appears to have been tied up for the player in the region of £4 million even before the playoff final.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2146845/Great-expectations-Fergie-puts-faith-youth-4m-Crewes-Powell.html

Now tell me if there is any sense in promoting players through the ranks when we will ultimately get young players from elsewhere (Bebe, Obertan,Jones).
As per who we should buy, I'm not going through all that again.
We need a left-back, probably a right back, a striker, and two central midfielders to be decent and go far in Europe.
That's five players at the very least.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 28, 2012
For all the "future" signings mantra, we forget there is a "present" situation to be addressed.
Nick Powell doesn't do any justice to that scenario.I think that is of more importance than this "future" we keep bleating about but don't see any real returns.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:35pm On May 28, 2012
StarBoard:
For all the hot air David Gill was blowing, it's amazing to think Nick Powell is the subject of the discussion.
Whether rumour or not,someone explain to me why he is even up for debate as regards transfer policy.
Besides, the excuse for grooming is as annoying as the purchases of late.
Nicky Ajose, Danny Drinkwater,Michael Keane,Ravel Morrison and co were supposedly groomed for the future.
Where are they now?The squad that won the youth FA cup?what happened to them?
In fact I do not know what we are doing with the supposed academy when we get these youngsters from elsewhere.
Besides, rumour or not, I hear a deal has been tied up for the player in the region of £4 million even before the playoff final.
Now tell me if there is any sense in promoting players through the ranks when we will ultimately get young players from elsewhere (Bebe, Obertan,Jones).
As per who we should buy, I'm not going through all that again.
We need a left-back, probably a right back, a striker, and two central midfielders to be decent and go far in Europe.
That's five players at the very least.

you need to relax......there are 2 types of transfers. players bought for the future and the
players bought to fight for his place in the first 11. nick powell @ 18 is definitely the one
for the future. with the departures of pogba, morrison, de laet, etc.....it's imperative united
fill the gaps.

i know, the senior squad should be priority as we speak but at the same time, if an opportunity
presents itself to snap a young talent, of course united would be there to take it.......
you need to calm down. united cannot even sign anyone outside britain until the 1st of july.
so calm down, tiger!

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (14147) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Oasis007(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.