Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,630 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8670775 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (14140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 12:48am On May 20, 2012
Two seasons ago, Atletico Madrid won the Europa League, Bayern Munich lost the Champions League final, Chelsea won the FA Cup, and Blackpool won the playoffs. Chelsea's year? also a team in Blue won the premier league title

Turns out it was Blackpool who let my prediction down.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 2:11am On May 20, 2012
coogar:

fellaini is shyte abeg.....he would be anonymous in man utd.
his quality suits everton. there's no pressure to do well at everton.
if he has to play in a club where the pressure to win all games is immense,
fellaini would fade.
just ask charlie adam!

That crystal ball of yours must be worth it's weight in shit! grin grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:14am On May 20, 2012
ritchboy:

That crystal ball of yours must be worth it's weight in shit! grin grin grin

and your thought process must be worth it's weight in pukery if you think fellaini
is better than fletcher, anderson or cleverley. coming from a guy that once said
gallas was better than vidic, you should be the last person talking about player
comparison.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 3:21am On May 20, 2012
coogar:

and your thought process must be worth it's weight in pukery if you think fellaini
is better than fletcher, anderson or cleverley.

Fletcher that is liable to shit his pants at any minute? cheesy

Anderson? As in the same Anderson? cheesy

Cleverley? Maybe potential ability. Current level, not a snowball's chance in hell's furnace.

coming from a guy that once said
gallas was better than vidic, you should be the last person talking about player
comparison.

Gallas "was" better than Vidic. Can you pinpoint a time Anderson was better than Cesc Fabregas as you claimed a few seasons ago? cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:37am On May 20, 2012
ritchboy:

Fletcher that is liable to shit his pants at any minute? cheesy

Anderson? As in the same Anderson? cheesy

Cleverley? Maybe potential ability. Current level, not a snowball's chance in hell's furnace.

if i roll out their stats now, you won't come back to this thread again.
fletcher, anderson and cleverley are all better than fellaini.
fellaini is in the class of denilson of arsenal or mulumbu of west brom.

Gallas "was" better than Vidic. Can you pinpoint a time Anderson was better than Cesc Fabregas as you claimed a few seasons ago? cheesy

there was never a time gallas was better than vidic.
and anderson was better than cesc in 07/08.
in the 3 games they played that season, anderson mauled cesc over and over again.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 3:50pm On May 20, 2012
Manchester United’s best performance in the 2011/2012 season was on Sunday, 28th August 2011, when they walloped an injury-ridden and pre-panic-buy Arsenal 8-2.

This standout performance wasn’t a blip. In their first five competitive games of the season, United won all 5, including their best performance against Manchester City (although it was the Community Shield, people forget that United played City four times, not three times, and beat them twice) that was far more in United’s advantage than the 3-2 scoreline suggested. There was a 5-0 thumping of Bolton and 3-0 defeat of Tottenham as well.

In short, United kicked off the new season in fine form, showing a new verve and energy in the team that caught other teams off guard.

If you ever hear United players speak about Ferguson, one thing is immediately clear – everything thing is meticulously planned in advance, from squad rotation to training regimens to rest periods, and you don’t diverge from that planning unless a player is injured.

United’s burning start was no coincidence – as Ferguson himself said at the time, United had planned their pre-season to ensure that they would get a fast start in the league and then maintain that tempo throughout the season. This was in light of the increased challenge that Manchester City would pose and Ferguson knew, before most other people, that United would need to hit 90 points to beat City to the title.

The key to that tempo wasn’t just the pace at which United moved the ball from defence to attack (always a United trademark) or width and pace on the wings (again, a United hallmark under Ferguson), it was the energy in central forward quadrant, where the two central midfielders and the two strikers could pass, move and press quickly, alleviating United’s 1-man disadvantage in midfield against most teams through tempo and quality.

This was Ferguson’s tactical blueprint for 2011/12 – to build a title winning side that would learn to control the midfield with aggression, not with the sit-back-and-watch approach they had employed in previous seasons.

Injuries coupled with an stubborn over-reliance on the existing squad meant that United had no one to maintain that tempo after September. Ferguson had to rip up all the work done in pre-season and start from scratch to build a new tactical plan. Under pressure, he went for the short-term option of bringing Scholes back and reverting to a midfield duo of Carrick + Scholes, slow as they come and designed to pass the opposition to death but not to win the ball back.

With the season now over, and the title lost on the finest of margins, Ferguson will be busy preparing his plans for the next season. Will he bring his plans for last season back, albeit with a few tweaks? That will surely require United to sign another midfielder (or two) to provide cover and also counter the fact that Anderson and Fletcher are hardly reliable options. Pogba is not ready to play for United at this level, and with Cleverely’s lack of experience, United need what they’ve needed for 8 years – a stronger midfield.

Or will Ferguson draw up a new strategy, having watched how Madrid have torn up La Liga and beaten Barcelona, and build a squad that allows him to play with a front three, meaning that he needs reinforcement on the flanks / up front as well as in midfield?

How United’s midfield lines up also impacts their defence – in 11/12, the midfield sat deep and the central defenders (Rio hampered by a lack of pace and Vidic / Evans sitting back to cover) sat deep too, meaning that De Gea often had very little space when the defence made a mistake. In fact, if there was a mistake, it would happen in the penalty box, giving De Gea next to no chance to stop the goal.

This lack of pace was highlighted at the very start of the season in the Community Shield when Ferguson took off Vidic and Ferdinand at half time and put on Jones and Evans. In a setup where the midfield was pushing up, United needed defenders who can keep up the pace.

Evans / Smalling / Jones are the future, but all three of them need either surgery or rest this summer. Vidic is not back till August. Rio is the new ‘old’ Paul Scholes, and is probably better off playing as a defensive midfielder where he can influence the game more. If United’s midfield setup is again all about sitting deep, they will need Vidic fit for the whole season and a better ball-winner in midfield. If United are again trying to play fast, they’ll need their young center backs fighting fit for the whole season.

Surprisingly, the only position that leaves United fans happy with what they have is the man guarding the goal. David De Gea is a phenomenal goalkeeper who has had a very deep-sitting midfield and defence that can’t tackle to deal with at times. United are safe in goal. Elsewhere on the pitch, there is brilliance and potential sprinkled across, but there is no shining light pointing to the future.

Last August that shining light was supposed to be the new United style of playing. This summer, United’s transfer dealings will depend on how Ferguson wants his team to play next season, not on who fans think United should buy (if Kagawa is coming in, you can expect another fast start in August).

We all know United need to strengthen the squad. But more importantly, United need to build on last year’s planned system and evolve it to be more durable. As Barcelona, Man City, Madrid, Milan, Arsenal and Chelsea have shown in defeats, hitting any side with fast passing and concentrated pressing while stretching the play (vertically and horizontally) in attack will cause them significant problems.

If United can find the players to play that way, City’s billions won’t be enough.

http://soccerlens.com/fergusons-big-united-decision-this-summer/93501/

Beautiful analysis which sums up how I feel about the just concluded season and what we should be hoping for this summer/pre-season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 4:07pm On May 20, 2012
interesting article but dont agree wit d bit on rio playin in midfield o,bros doesn't hav d legs(or back) for that again!
i quite agree dt d 1st important issue is to decide united's style n system going forward before deciding who to buy to suit dt system(i said dis in an earlier post).its not enough to just identify quality players and attempt to shoehorn them into a system that might not suit them
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 4:15pm On May 20, 2012
Yep, No way Rio can play in the middle, that would be suicidal. But he showed he still has alot to offer in central defence. And also if we ever decide to play with a sweeper system, he's the best person to do that. I just hope he stays relatively injury free like he did this last season.

I still maintain, 2 top central midfielders required. and with Owen and Berbatov leaving, we'll definitely need a striker to come on. ( Falcao grin)
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:13pm On May 20, 2012
I also don't agree with Rio in midfield. But I believe the article some up my feelings perfectly. We badly need new ideas, blood, energy, creativity and movement in central midfield. I was so happy with the way we started last season. Even though we were playing very open and somewhat careless football, I love the new direction and could see the improvements every game. I remember Ruudie craving for us to return to slow, cumbersome and super cautious but safe and effective style of 10/11 while I was happy to have team evolve a different style even if at risk. Eventually injuries and other circumstances meant we returned to our old pattern (even bringing back Scholes).

I really hope this summer SAF goes back to what we tried to do last season. Our interests in Kagawa, Hummels, Hazards e.t.c suggest we will hopefully try to go in that direction again, but this time hopefully we will be better reinforced. The plus now is some of our players will be more experienced and motivated after the way the season ended.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 8:03pm On May 20, 2012
montelik: I also don't agree with Rio in midfield. But I believe the article some up my feelings perfectly. We badly need new ideas, blood, energy, creativity and movement in central midfield. I was so happy with the way we started last season. Even though we were playing very open and somewhat careless football, I love the new direction and could see the improvements every game. I remember Ruudie craving for us to return to slow, cumbersome and super cautious but safe and effective style of 10/11 while I was happy to have team evolve a different style even if at risk. Eventually injuries and other circumstances meant we returned to our old pattern (even bringing back Scholes).

I really hope this summer SAF goes back to what we tried to do last season. Our interests in Kagawa, Hummels, Hazards e.t.c suggest we will hopefully try to go in that direction again, but this time hopefully we will be better reinforced. The plus now is some of our players will be more experienced and motivated after the way the season ended.

it's just that we struggle to keep our midfield talents fit throughout the season.

----------de gea-----------
rafael--smalling--vidic--evra
---------carrick------------
---fletcher---anderson------
valencia---rooney----nani

this team if played 80% next season would
take the title off man city or any of the challengers.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 8:41pm On May 20, 2012
So spurs might Be losing some players since they have missed out on CL. Interested in any particular payers?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 8:44pm On May 20, 2012
Mr_TA: So spurs might Be losing some players since they have missed out on CL. Interested in any particular payers?

nope...only modric stands out but he's not even a
defensive midfielder unless we take sandro.......
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 9:33pm On May 20, 2012
coogar:

it's just that we struggle to keep our midfield talents fit throughout the season.

I doubt this will be good enough. Nani is never as effective on the left, particularly when he is played as part of front 3. Valencia is a pure touch line winger, no good as a wing forward. Rooney will be isolated upfront alone and will struggle badly with no real support. Fletcher is not a central midfielder that can offer much when he pushes up to advanced positions. We tried him there in 09/10 season when Carrick insisted on playing the anchor man in front the back 4, and its was not successful. Anderson might be able to do well there, but so far he has shown nothing to convince me he can on a regular basis. If we had a true natural and dynamic left wing forward (Young isn't either) it might be successful as we could play Nani on the right and the other guy on the left, but with the present personnel I doubt this team will be a solution.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 9:34pm On May 20, 2012
I wouldn't mind Bale if not too expensive. Finally bring in a real naturally left footed winger.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:37pm On May 20, 2012
montelik:

I doubt this will be good enough. Nani is never as effective on the left, particularly when he is played as part of front 3. Valencia is a pure touch line winger, no good as a wing forward. Rooney will be isolated upfront alone and will struggle badly with no real support. Fletcher is not a central midfielder that can offer much when he pushes up to advanced positions. We tried him there in 09/10 season when Carrick insisted on playing the anchor man in front the back 4, and its was not successful. Anderson might be able to do well there, but so far he has shown nothing to convince me he can on a regular basis. If we had a true natural and dynamic left wing forward (Young isn't either) it might be successful as we could play Nani on the right and the other guy on the left, but with the present personnel I doubt this team will be a solution.

he scored 34 goals as the lone striker in 09/10. it was his injury
that unhinged united, not the system. rooney was the most feared striker
for a period of 2-3 months that season. scoring headers for fun in hostile
grounds before he injured himself @ allianz arena. that system works wella.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 10:47pm On May 20, 2012
Yet we ended up trophy-less and Rooney was badly broken down by the ending of February 2010 and visibly jaded. So much so, it affect his world cup and his form at the opening of the 10/11 campaign. Those tactics put too much strain on Rooney because he isn't built to play that way for a whole season without consequences as we found out. Rooney can take rations of playing upfront alone every now and again, but not a steady diet of such. It is not his strength.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 9:34am On May 21, 2012
I wish Berbatov could just stay on and UTD find a system of play that is just a tad slower. . .with Berba + Wazza combo, Wazza can always drop into the midfield and pull defences out.
All this headless running by some of our wingers is just so annoying - and Welbeck, oh angry angry angry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:00am On May 21, 2012
Sun, 20 May 19:59:00 2012

Dimitar Berbatov wants to leave Manchester United because he feels he has fallen out of favour with manager Alex Ferguson, but insists he would never join rivals Manchester City.

"My time at Manchester United is running out," the 31-year-old Bulgaria striker told bTV on Sunday. "I no longer feel like a valuable part of this team."

The Premier League runners-up took up an extra year's option on the former Bulgaria captain's contract in March despite him slipping down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

"I think I did well in the few opportunities that I received," he said. "But I am a little frustrated by the way this happened, I do not think I deserved it."

Berbatov, who is Bulgaria's all-time leading scorer with 48 goals, joined United from Tottenham Hotspur in 2008 for £30.7 million.

He was first-choice at Old Trafford until the latter stages of the 2010-11 season, when he fell out of favour despite being the Premier League's leading scorer.

The former Bayer Leverkusen striker was famously dropped for the Champions League final, with fringe player Michael Owen taking his place on the bench for the defeat Barcelona.

Berbatov stayed to fight for his place but, despite Javier Hernandez losing form and Owen barely seeing any action through injury, he is still mostly used as a substitute.

"I've talked 10 times or even more with the manager and he always told me there would be a place for me in the team. But after that I continued to stay on the bench," he added.

"But I have dignity and I stopped going to such meetings, it is clear that I'm leaving United. It's obvious that I have to leave.

"I'm looking for a new place now... I know I can still play at the highest level."

Berbatov has been linked in the media with several clubs from Italy, Germany, France and Turkey, but he said he would not join United's city rivals Manchester City.

"I would never join Man City, I am a loyal person after all," he said. "I had the opportunity to sign for City in the past, but I chose United."

Eurosport / Reuters

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/20052012/58/premier-league-berbatov-wants-city.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 10:19am On May 21, 2012
I don't think I like this Hazard chap at all. What's with the whole LeBron James type announcement of who he's going to sign for? Comes across as a Arrow imo.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 11:58am On May 21, 2012
i believe hazard is light weight physically and i am not sure he has the temperament to theive in d spotlight of d premiership.anyway he is best as a wing forward not in d central areas so i don't see d need to buy him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:08pm On May 21, 2012
I personally dont agree that he's too lightweight. If he's speed of thought and technique is good enough he will flourish pretty easily like the Mata's and Silvas or Nasri of this world.His best position is in the midfield 3 or behind the striker as the AMC, similar to how Mata and Silva play for their teams really. We cant always play 4-4-2.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by slimghost(m): 5:22pm On May 21, 2012
Would love to see this happen[img][/img]

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 6:35pm On May 21, 2012
RuuDie: I wish Berbatov could just stay on and UTD find a system of play that is just a tad slower. . .with Berba + Wazza combo, Wazza can always drop into the midfield and pull defences out.
All this headless running by some of our wingers is just so annoying - and Welbeck, oh angry angry angry

Almost every single United fan I know off is worried by our steadily slowing play. Yet you still want us to slow down even further just to include Berba. lipsrsealed
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 7:03pm On May 21, 2012
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:12pm On May 21, 2012
Why are you posting fake news here. Arsenal need him more than we do.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:13pm On May 21, 2012
debosky: http://www.rnanutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/May/manchester-united-seal-hazard-deal.aspx.htm

no fuckin way....debosky are you sure about this?
heard the guy was landing today to discuss at old trafford
before moving to man city if there's a deadlock in the talks.

lemme contact fredthered for more updates.

---------
it's a fake page made by liverpool fans according to fredthered.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 7:17pm On May 21, 2012
^^

It's a spoof site coogar. grin

Who in grundo is fred the red?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:18pm On May 21, 2012
debosky: ^^

It's a spoof site coogar. grin

Who in grundo is fred the red?

i just confirmed it's fake!
fredthered is my ears in what happens at old trafford!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 11:54am On May 22, 2012
coogar:

you and this your Anderson logic.
you no dey tire?
that boy is not it. Is he your religion?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 22, 2012
Mr_TA: I don't think I like this Hazard chap at all. What's with the whole LeBron James type announcement of who he's going to sign for? Comes across as a Arrow imo.
Believe me it's really annoying.
Besides he should come with a guarantee of winning at least one trophy each season if he is doing this rubbish imitation.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:33pm On May 22, 2012
mbulela:
you and this your Anderson logic.
you no dey tire?
that boy is not it. Is he your religion?

our best central midfielder until he lost a partner
that synced with him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 22, 2012
coogar:

our best central midfielder until he lost a partner
that synced with him.
Like I'm supposed to believe that.
So Anderson needs a partner to be effective.
New info.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (14140) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.