Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8756061 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (14158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2012
Mr_TA: Marouane Fellaini..Please

I'd rather we exhumed Gravesen from wherever he is holed up!

grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 10:54am On May 18, 2012
TA some players are small players in BIG clubs e.g oshea,park.others r BIG players in small clubs......fellaini is one of them! he will never and must never play for united o.he is d kind of guy liverpool buy these days,lets hope they buy him.wat does he offer? is he a much better shield for d back for than carrick? i think not! is he the creative force that we lack? i think not.will United now rely on flick ons and knockdowns like everton? i hope not! and why would u by BOTH fellaini n javi martinez anyway? where will d creativity come from in d offensive third of d pitch?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 11:00am On May 18, 2012
ACTUAL NEWS! Molde have confirmed that they are in talks with Aston Villa over Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:40am On May 18, 2012
Javi Martinez for me.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 1:54pm On May 18, 2012
But Fellaini is better than all United's midfielders as we speak. . .
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 2:03pm On May 18, 2012
Martinez will cost in the region of £35 mill, you spend that type of money when you reasonably assured the signing will work. Javi Martinez may not be a good fit. Playing central midfield in the La liga is different from the EPL, could he be wiling and able to successfully adapt. Also with most of these Spaniards there is always the chance that 4 years down the line he pining for a move back to Spain with either Barca or Madrid. Would sooner look elsewhere.

And also hell no to Fellaini. We are trying bring in better players, not water carriers and bench fillers.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 2:19pm On May 18, 2012
ritchboy: But Fellaini is better than all United's midfielders as we speak. . .
apart from Anderson and Giggs who is he better than?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 3:37pm On May 18, 2012
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 18, 2012
montelik: Martinez will cost in the region of £35 mill, you spend that type of money when you reasonably assured the signing will work. Javi Martinez may not be a good fit. Playing central midfield in the La liga is different from the EPL, could he be wiling and able to successfully adapt. Also with most of these Spaniards there is always the chance that 4 years down the line he pining for a move back to Spain with either Barca or Madrid. Would sooner look elsewhere.

And also hell no to Fellaini. We are trying bring in better players, not water carriers and bench fillers.
I hold a different view about Fellaini.
I think he adds steel to our middle. Dude was excellent when they played us a few weeks ago.My only reservation is his thuggish nature.
As per Martinez,I think it's unfair to use the Fabregas debacle as a generalisation of Spanish players.Mikel Arteta has been in England for a while now and hasn't angled for any move back.Same for Pepe Reina.
There are quite a number of Spainards who are doing ok in the Prem.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:54pm On May 18, 2012
mbulela:

fellaini better than anderson? are you high?
who is fellaini?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 4:16pm On May 18, 2012
coogar:

another charlatan speaketh.....
having carrick as a defensive midfielder would be suicidal as opposed to who?
gareth barry? alex song? cheikh tiote? mikel obi? or who?

the job of a defensive midfielder is simple yet people think it's complex.
carrick's job is to screen his back four. provide a shield, nullify attacks
by either making tackles(zombies) or make interceptions(geniuses).
interception trumps tackles as tackles can result to a foul or even get
penalised with a yellow or red card.

in the whole of europe, only sergio busquets is better than carrick in the role of a modern defensive midfielder.

You are a Doofus!
I'd rather have Mikel in front of my back four than Carrick.
And given the option of either Carrick Or Parker as my defensive Mid I'd also choose Parker.
But as England going to play a two man midfield or most likely three man, I believe Carrick as England's best passer of the ball should be amongst them.

Modern defensive Midfielder my foot. And yet Man united's weakest spot is still the midfield
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 4:28pm On May 18, 2012
chic2pimp:

You are a Doofus!
I'd rather have Mikel in front of my back four than Carrick.
And given the option of either Carrick Or Parker as my defensive Mid I'd also choose Parker.
But as England going to play a two man midfield or most likely three man, I believe Carrick as England's best passer of the ball should be amongst them.

Modern defensive Midfielder my foot. And yet Man united's weakest spot is still the midfield

scott parker
3.7 tackles/game
3.1 interceptions/game
1.6 fouls/game
1.2 clearances/game
1.3 was dribbled/game

1.3 dispossessed/game
0.8 key passes/game
59.3 average passes/game
89.5% pass completion
2.7 accurate long balls/game
0 goals, 1 assist

mikel obi
1.6 tackles/game
1.5 interceptions/game
1.3 fouls/game
1.4 clearances/game
0.5 was dribbled/game

0.7 dispossessed/game
0.4 key passes/game
49.5 average passes/game
90.2% pass completion
3.7 accurate long ball/game
0 goals, 0 assists.

angel michael
3 tackles per game
2.4 interceptions/game
0.7 fouls/game
1.6 clearances/game
0.8 was dribbled/game

0.3 dispossessed/game
1 key pass/game
73.1 average passes/game
90.1% pass completion
6 accurate long balls/game
2 goals + 3 assists.
-----------------
-----------------
chimp2pimp, this is why we call you a charlatan!

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:15pm On May 18, 2012
A midfielder with decent dead ball skills will be very welcome. . .

I say we scour the middle tier teams in Spain, Germany and Italy; forget big money buys and headliners - but if Real are willing, Lass should be a target.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:25pm On May 18, 2012
Fulham looks a place to go hunting for players. . .they've got some very decent players there and that big, deadly looking chap - my, oh my - kind of guy I'd love to unleash against the likes of Kompany, Terry and co!

grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 5:29pm On May 18, 2012
StarBoard:
I hold a different view about Fellaini.
I think he adds steel to our middle. Dude was excellent when they played us a few weeks ago.My only reservation is his thuggish nature.
As per Martinez,I think it's unfair to use the Fabregas debacle as a generalisation of Spanish players.Mikel Arteta has been in England for a while now and hasn't angled for any move back.Same for Pepe Reina.
There are quite a number of Spainards who are doing ok in the Prem.

Yes but then look at the likes of Alonso, Pique, Fabregas e.t.c. Arteta would never be a regular for any of the main clubs or the national side, hence his continued presence. Personally I am not saying its a guarantee he will do a Fabregas, but it is a high possibility.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:40pm On May 18, 2012
RuuDie: A midfielder with decent dead ball skills will be very welcome. . .

I say we scour the middle tier teams in Spain, Germany and Italy; forget big money buys and headliners - but if Real are willing, Lass should be a target.

this is why i want sigurdsson.

17 apps, 7 goals, 3 assists.
3.9 shots/game, 2.8 key passes/game
84.5% pass completion.

he is not 23 until september, a man utd fan by birth!
sigurdsson is the perfect partner for carrick as he looks fit.
he can cover up when anderson/cleverley/fletcher go on their perennial
injury vacation. he would be cheap as well. for £10m, he'd be a bargain!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 5:52pm On May 18, 2012
RuuDie: A midfielder with decent dead ball skills will be very welcome. . .

We have Ashley Young. One of the few things you can count on is his good efficiency from dead balls. It is not a pressing need as much as having deadly players on the end of the dead balls.

The midfielder I would give my right arm for this summer would be Ever Banega of Valencia. Though he still recovering from a lengthy injury, I would take the chance. In my mind he is a perfect fit (think Fabregas when was still in the EPL). The lack of suitors could help keep his price down. Though Valencia won't willing sell, a good offer should change that and we get a creative, goal scoring and fairly tenacious and hard working central midfielder/play-maker.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 6:52pm On May 18, 2012
coogar:

scott parker
3.7 tackles/game
3.1 interceptions/game
1.6 fouls/game
1.2 clearances/game
1.3 was dribbled/game

1.3 dispossessed/game
0.8 key passes/game
59.3 average passes/game
89.5% pass completion
2.7 accurate long balls/game
0 goals, 1 assist

mikel obi
1.6 tackles/game
1.5 interceptions/game
1.3 fouls/game
1.4 clearances/game
0.5 was dribbled/game

0.7 dispossessed/game
0.4 key passes/game
49.5 average passes/game
90.2% pass completion
3.7 accurate long ball/game
0 goals, 0 assists.

angel michael
3 tackles per game
2.4 interceptions/game
0.7 fouls/game
1.6 clearances/game
0.8 was dribbled/game

0.3 dispossessed/game
1 key pass/game
73.1 average passes/game
90.1% pass completion
6 accurate long balls/game
2 goals + 3 assists.
-----------------
-----------------
chimp2pimp, this is why we call you a charlatan!

ONCE A DOOFUS ALWAYS A DOOFUS
The only thing those stats you posted up there showed is that Carrick is best passing Midfielder of three which was clearly obvious to the naked eyes anyways. Heck Leon Britton probably has better passing stasts than the two of em'.
I still insist i'll put more faith in either of Mikel or Parker protecting my back 4 than Carrick.
If He was that good/great we won't be having this discussion about his exclusion from the national squad. It would have been a no brainer.
As a Midfielder Carrick is no better than Mikel Arteta.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:08pm On May 18, 2012
chic2pimp:
ONCE A DOOFUS ALWAYS A DOOFUS
The only thing those stats you posted up there showed is that Carrick is best passing Midfielder of three which was clearly obvious to the naked eyes anyways.

your brain has less cells than the number of your fingers.
in those stats, you can only pick out passing statistics?
you couldn't see how better carrick is with the ball(long balls, accuracy, etc).
you did not see carrick is difficult to dispossess and difficult to dribble?

you refused to see carrick commits far less fouls than the duo while still effective
in nullifying attacks, a very big plus especially in international tournaments.
you cannot see carrick is less likely to lose the ball in comparison to parker and mikel?

Heck Leon Britton probably has better passing stasts than the two of em'.
I still insist i'll put more faith in either of Mikel or Parker protecting my back 4 than Carrick.

and watch them bag red cards in the first 15 mins of a knock-out tie and effectively
stop the progress of your team in the competition. you are like 99% of the english
fans. brawns over brains is what you love. every fan loves a tryer. same people
who think dirk kuyt/andy caroll are better than berbatov!

If He was that good/great we won't be having this discussion about his exclusion from the national squad. It would have been a no brainer.
As a Midfielder Carrick is no better than Mikel Arteta.

and that is why england have not done well in any competition.
if his replacements are great/good - why haven't england won something with barry, gerrard, lampard, parker, etc?
the only time carrick played 90 mins for england, they sodomized germany in.........germany!

arteta is the 2nd best performer in arsenal this season. it's a compliment that
carrick is being compared to him rather than alex song or gareth barry!

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 7:33pm On May 18, 2012
mbulela:

Cleverley, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes and Pogba.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 8:27pm On May 18, 2012
coogar:

your brain has less cells than the number of your fingers.
in those stats, you can only pick out passing statistics?
you couldn't see how better carrick is with the ball(long balls, accuracy, etc).
you did not see carrick is difficult to dispossess and difficult to dribble?

you refused to see carrick commits far less fouls than the duo while still effective
in nullifying attacks, a very big plus especially in international tournaments.
you cannot see carrick is less likely to lose the ball in comparison to parker and mikel?
If your brain actually stopped to think for a moment without it's usual farts you would have noticed I knowledged Carrick as the best passer of the lot.
The stasts clearly shows Mikel to be hardest of the lot to dribble whilst not forgetting he also has the highest completion rate.
I repeat if he was that effective, the Midfield position of Man united won't be it's weakest spot and y'all also won't be searching all and sundry for a quality Midfielder.

coogar:
and watch them bag red cards in the first 15 mins of a knock-out tie and effectively
stop the progress of your team in the competition. you are like 99% of the english
fans. brawns over brains is what you love. every fan loves a tryer. same people
who think dirk kuyt/andy caroll are better than berbatov!
Oh yeah like they've done several times for club and country right?
Let England put Carrick as their defensive midfielder without any player covering his behind and watch teams walk right through them.
Or better still replace Carrick with Mikel vs Barcelona and watch him get slaughtered.
coogar:
and that is why england have not done well in any competition.
if his replacements are great/good - why haven't england won something with barry, gerrard, lampard, parker, etc?
the only time carrick played 90 mins for england, they sodomized germany in.........germany!

arteta is the 2nd best performer in arsenal this season. it's a compliment that
carrick is being compared to him rather than alex song or gareth barry!

No the reason why England have not done well is simply because "THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH"
And neither would England have done any better if they had 3 Michael Carricks marshalling the midfield.

And so? Steven Gerrard's finest England performance came in the 5-1 sodomization of Germany in a Worldcup Qualifier not a meaningless friendly.I bet if that was carrick you would have busted a nut already.

Anyways if you are looking for a disciplined performance, look no further than Parker's vs Spain. That performance probably solidified his position as England's no 1 defensive midfielder.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:02pm On May 18, 2012
chic2pimp:
If your brain actually stopped to think for a moment without it's usual farts you would have noticed I knowledged Carrick as the best passer of the lot.
The stasts clearly shows Mikel to be hardest of the lot to dribble whilst not forgetting he also has the highest completion rate.
I repeat if he was that effective, the Midfield position of Man united won't be it's weakest spot and y'all also won't be searching all and sundry for a quality Midfielder.

the midfield position of man utd is at it's weakest point because
no one has been able to partner michael carrick since scholes got old.
giggs is not a midfielder, anderson is often injured same as cleverley
and fletcher had a stomach problem that ruled him out all season.

the only constant factor in the united midfield since 06/07 is carrick.
you can check his number of appearances since then to see he's been the most
played united midfielder. having a partner who is as fit as him has been the
problem - nothing to do with angel michael. as you can see, your brain grows fungi!

Oh yeah like they've done several times for club and country right?
Let England put Carrick as their defensive midfielder without any player covering his behind and watch teams walk right through them.
Or better still replace Carrick with Mikel vs Barcelona and watch him get slaughtered.

carrick is a defensive midfielder. he does not need any player behind him to function.
the problem has always been who partners him. when fergie used anderson and fletcher
ahead of carrick, united bossed teams everywhere they played in europe until fletcher
copped a red card that left a vacuum in the final in rome. giggs filled that role and united were slaughtered.

last season, it was carrick and #cough cough#, giggs again and united got slaughtered!
how is this carrick's fault. he cannot do the job of 2 men in a 2-man midfield. that problem
is a system problem not the component. fergie hasn't realised yet that playing giggs with carrick
in a 2-man midfield won't beat big teams.

No the reason why England have not done well is simply because "THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH"
And neither would England have done any better if they had 3 Michael Carricks marshalling the midfield.

xavi and xabi alonso disagree with you.
you agreed carrick's passing is better and yet you prefer scott parker who would win the
ball and then give it away. how often do you see busquets dive into tackles? his strength
is his reluctance to give the ball away and keep his markers away....if your opponents don't
have the ball, you don't need to tackle them. this is why spain is the best in the world...not
because they have pitbull terriers in their midst....but because they have passers!

And so? Steven Gerrard's finest England performance came in the 5-1 sodomization of Germany in a Worldcup Qualifier not a meaningless friendly.I bet if that was carrick you would have busted a nut already.

gerrard? a fringe player in 2001.
england owed that performance to michael owen and a very dodgy german side.
it had nothing to do with gerrard. owen was still gold then. everything he hit
touched the back of the net.

Anyways if you are looking for a disciplined performance, look no further than Parker's vs Spain. That performance probably solidified his position as England's no 1 defensive midfielder.

despite being rap[i]e[/i]d by carrick at white hart lane this season.
this blogger did a comparison between carrick and parker and this was what he found....

To consolidate this idea, let us analyse Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur against the same opponent: their 2-1 victories against Arsenal.
When United won at the Emirates in January, Carrick played as part of a four-man midfield, in an anchor role that allowed Giggs the freedom to link up with Rooney, dropping into his familiar role at No.10. Parker played a very similar role as part of a four-man midfield in Spurs' October win over Arsenal.
The Stats Zone statistics show us Carrick's high pass success rate (51 out of 56) and his unusually low number of clearances (2), suggesting good ball retention and controlled defensive play.

What's more, Carrick made more passes and more tackles than any other player on the pitch, although, importantly, he made comparatively few clearances, and fewer than his counterpart Alex Song. United had 51.4% possession at the Emirates, completing 350 passes to Arsenal's 334.

Whereas Carrick trumped his fellow midfielders for the number of passes made, the stats show that Parker made fewer passes than five other players including four Arsenal midfielders; indeed, at White Hart Lane Arsenal had 61.7% and completed 415 passes to Tottenham's 227.

Both men attempted two clearances, but Carrick's were inside his own penalty box, suggesting he will only clear the ball and willingly concede possession when there is imminent danger. Parker's clearances, from slightly further forward, may indicate a deficiency in composure. This may appear a subtle difference, but it may just be exposed at international level.

Perhaps more damningly, Opta stats reveal that Parker was tackled more often than Carrick (or for that matter Gareth Barry). The Spurs man was dispossessed 58 times in his 29 league games – twice a game, double the average of Barry (36 times in 34 games) and four times Carrick, who was dispossessed only 15 times in 30 games. With possession of paramount importance, Carrick is simply less likely to lose the ball.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 9:29pm On May 18, 2012
ritchboy:

very good joke.
a career in comedy awaits you.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 9:34pm On May 18, 2012
coogar:

this is why i want sigurdsson.

17 apps, 7 goals, 3 assists.
3.9 shots/game, 2.8 key passes/game
84.5% pass completion.

he is not 23 until september, a man utd fan by birth!
sigurdsson is the perfect partner for carrick as he looks fit.
he can cover up when[b] anderson[/b]/cleverley/fletcher go on their perennial
injury vacation. he would be cheap as well. for £10m, he'd be a bargain!
try end this Anderson obsession.
the boy is not worth the stress and he has no future at this club.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:23am On May 19, 2012
@montelik,
Pique was sold back to Barcelona because of a certain Johnny Evans.He couldn't break into that United side.Quite different from Alonso and Fabregas who clearly wanted a move back home.
But I will agree with you that he Spainards can have that homesick tendency.Though I think Martinez could be a hit for us.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 12:06pm On May 19, 2012
montelik:

We have Ashley Young. One of the few things you can count on is his good efficiency from dead balls. It is not a pressing need as much as having deadly players on the end of the dead balls.

The midfielder I would give my right arm for this summer would be Ever Banega of Valencia. Though he still recovering from a lengthy injury, I would take the chance. In my mind he is a perfect fit (think Fabregas when was still in the EPL). The lack of suitors could help keep his price down. Though Valencia won't willing sell, a good offer should change that and we get a creative, goal scoring and fairly tenacious and hard working central midfielder/play-maker.

I meant direct free-kicks. When was the last time we scored from all the free-kicks we usually get in front of the opposition goal!!? In fact, so rare is it that anytime we score from such free-kicks I know its going to be a good day grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 12:09pm On May 19, 2012
ritchboy:

Fellaini is better than these guys!!? I no fit shout abeg!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 12:24pm On May 19, 2012
^^ Name 4 premier teams in Europe that have a player who will score 7+ direct free kicks a season. If you want one you have to look for a specialist of Beckham, Mihajlovic type quality. Such players are rare, and usually lacking in other departments of their game (Seb Larsson). Nani, Young & Rooney are all more than capable. Whats the point in bringing a specialist, if his overall ability means he can't win a starting shirt outright.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ritchboy(m): 3:17pm On May 19, 2012
RuuDie:

Fellaini is better than these guys!!? I no fit shout abeg!

What makes the likes of Fletcher, Cleverly, Pogba etc better than Fellaini other than the fact they play for Manchester United?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:58pm On May 19, 2012
ritchboy:

What makes the likes of Fletcher, Cleverly, Pogba etc better than Fellaini other than the fact they play for Manchester United?

fellaini is shyte abeg.....he would be anonymous in man utd.
his quality suits everton. there's no pressure to do well at everton.
if he has to play in a club where the pressure to win all games is immense,
fellaini would fade. just ask charlie adam!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:02am On May 20, 2012
coogar:

fellaini is shyte abeg.....he would be anonymous in man utd.
his quality suits everton. there's no pressure to do well at everton.
if he has to play in a club where the pressure to win all games is immense,
fellaini would fade. just ask charlie adam!
Coogar it Ur turn... Don't hesitate to tongue lash that dayokanu..... It so interesting to watch those horrifying faces @ the arena
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:15am On May 20, 2012
Please any one who lives in the southern part of Texas should report if any
Man (Late twenties) is seen He's ...tall, dark, black eye balls, bald head,
missing front tooth, garulious character, He has been missing since BAYAM
was sodomized in last night UCL final match.... He goes by the name
DayoKanu...
Helpfull information will be rewarded

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (14158) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.