Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5625) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8671282 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5622) (5623) (5624) (5625) (5626) (5627) (5628) ... (14140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 7:27pm On Jun 02, 2018
Could have been worse. I thought it was going to be like 4 or 5. We improved in the 2nd half for sure. I'm not convinced by the formation. I think that didn't give us good ground to start the game. Definitely need Ndidi in that midfield. Mikel was ok. Those 2 oyinbos cannot be our CB partnership at the world cup. Probably Balogun should start.

Dem no disgrace me sha. Still looking forward to the world cup

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2018
I can't be bothered about SE

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by diggz: 11:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
Leyqute:

grin

20" ...for Jehovah punished them greatly for this sin. He commandeth and thrust them into the pit of Thursday Yuropean nights, which burneth with fiire and cold embarrassment. And in the abyss they met doom and the Larsenals, their toothless northern brothers who just murdered their stingy king.

Oloshious fellow...Alabosi oshi
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by airmark(m): 12:48am On Jun 03, 2018
sinizia:

Our defence nko? LMAO. I don die. I'm not even talking of the amateur defending by Balogun to allow Sterling through on goal when he'd have stayed at his back giving him no space to turn.

I think it was Ekong that allowed Sterling to probe inside.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 11:07am On Jun 03, 2018
First he beat Arsenal with 7 defenders.

Then he beat Wolfsburg 3-1 in UCL with this team. Just look at the defence.

SAF was a legend abeg. He knew how to win. Was just a shame he couldn't win more in Europe. We should ve won at least one of those 2 finals against Barca. I think we had a better chance in 09 than in 2011.

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 11:12am On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

SAF was a legend abeg. He knew how to win. Was just a shame he couldn't win more in Europe. We should ve won at least one of those 2 finals against Barca. I think we had a better chance in 09 than in 2011.

That man was a genius.. As for the barca game. Barca were in beast mode that period.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 11:22am On Jun 03, 2018
And these two starting 11 just proves how we as fans don spoil finish...

Imagine if it was Mourinho that fielded that kind of 11 even with an injury hit squad, we for don dey cry with all sorts of excuses.

Excuses like Martial can only play on the left. Pogba can only play in 3 man midfield. Rashford cant play on the right.
Nonsense. Fletcher played in defence against German champions and an in form Dzeko and was our best defender after Evra. Even Park had a decent game at RB.

So why cant these current generation of players just get on the pitch, play where they tell them to and drop a 6.5 or 7/10 at least?

Fact is most of these players just want to enter pitch and do fine boy. That's always their priority. Gone are the days of pashunate football. Most guys now just want to get on the pitch do a few skills and show the rest of the world say "Dem don arrive".

17 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Khaytunechi: 11:35am On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

Imagine if it was Mourinho that fielded that kind of 11 even with an injury hit squad, we for don dey cry with all sorts of excuses.

Excuses like Martial can only play on the left. Pogba can only play in 3 man midfield. Rashford cant play on the right.
Nonsense. Fletcher played in defence against German champions and an in form Dzeko and was our best defender after Evra. Even Park had a decent game at RB.

So why cant these current generation of players just get on the pitch, play where they tell them to and drop a 6.5 or 7/10 at least?

Fact is most of these players just want to enter pitch and do fine boy. That's always their priority. Gone are the days of pashunate football. Most guys now just want to get on the pitch do a few skills and show the rest of the world say "Dem don arrive".

word
social media don spoil everything
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 11:35am On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

Fergie was a master at building and rebuilding teams. I can't remember any whining about the quality of the team back then. They go out there and play their blood out because they want to play for the club and SAF. It's a pity most of this present coaches don't know a thing about that
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 11:45am On Jun 03, 2018
JayKayMaybachz:

That man was a genius.. As for the barca game. Barca were in beast mode that period.
I think 2011Barca was better than 2009 Barca. In 09 we were favourites. In 2011, SAF played old man Giggs instead of Scholes in CM against peak Xavi & Iniesta
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 12:19pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:
I think 2011Barca was better than 2009 Barca. In 09 we were favourites. In 2011, SAF played old man Giggs instead of Scholes in CM against peak Xavi & Iniesta
In both years they were better, fam
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 12:20pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

How come Barca, Madrid, Liverpool, City, Juventus and the likes are doing well, are they not affected by the same factors affecting our players such as money, social media and the likes...Fergie managed to motivate those guys, Klopp is doing well with Liverpool, Conte won the Fa Cup with Chelsea, why are we questioning the players who were all very exciting before they joined us?

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 12:27pm On Jun 03, 2018
Mourinho has signed players from 39 different countries throughout his managerial career, from the Angolan Freddy at União de Leiria to the Jamaican Michael Hector at Chelsea, with the South African Benni McCarthy at Porto in between. He has purchased eight Spanish players, six Frenchmen and three Argetineans. The only nationality he has bought more than his native Portuguese (26) is Brazilian (17).

Six joined Mourinho’s Porto in the summer of 2003, and they ended the campaign as league and European champions. There is little wonder he waxes lyrical over Brazilians. There is even less wonder over why Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred and Juventus left-back Alex Sandro are being targeted this summer. The manager’s hope that “we can have a Brazilian in the squad next year” will come to fruition; he has made his Seleção selections.

Maybe that is why Mourinho was so openly “disappointed” with Andreas Pereira last summer. The 22-year-old looked upon a midfield containing Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera, Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick and decided that it was not worth the fight for a handful of first-team opportunities and a bucketload of frustration. The 23 games played by Scott McTominay, 11 months his junior, certainly suggests that was a mistake.

The ‘expressive personality’ Ferguson often craved and Mourinho hoped to find in his only Brazilian player was absent. It has left a gaping hole in the squad that he intends to fill as soon as possible. After all, “a team without a Brazilian isn’t a team”, and United looked far from a cohesive team for large swathes of this past season.

But it is less Pereira the player and more Pereira the idea that Mourinho feels United need. Someone Ferguson described as ‘born for the big occasion,’ with ‘a special quality’ and ‘great belief’; someone Mourinho believes brings “creativity” that “cannot be measured”. Some of this United squad tick one, two or even three of those boxes; no-one currently checks all four – at least not consistently. This United side needs a player with the ability and belief to step up, to hold themselves accountable, to inspire their teammates.

If the valuation of Alex Sandro is the only real negative to his potential arrival as a seasoned, elite but still relatively young replacement in a problem position, the same cannot be said of Fred. There has been little mention of his £52.5m release clause, but persistent questions over his suitability. “He’s a busy little left-footed midfielder,” said Tim Vickery earlier this week. “Very dynamic, and he’s got some quality. He’s developing as well.

“You could see Fred fitting into a dynamic Man City midfield. He’s almost like a smaller left-footed version of Fernandinho. To my surprise, it seems City have dropped aside and United have come in there.”

Whether the “surprise” was more for City dropping out of the race than for United entering it is uncertain, but also beside the point: this feels like an uncharacteristic signing for a team and a manager that has already invested heavily in midfield, and has more pressing issues in defence. But it is indicative of a team lacking a certain ingredient, and a manager who feels something has been missing in his professional life since parting ways with Willian at Chelsea. There is a reason he still speaks so fondly of the winger to this day.

At first glance, Fred is the antithesis of a United player under Mourinho. He is diminutive and dynamic, not tall and physical; fast and incisive, not slow and methodical. He could be the perfect alarm to shake this land of giants from its slumber.

The fee and the fact that many of Europe’s leading clubs were monitoring his progress suggests he should be a success. But this is as much about instilling a particular spirit and engendering a greater morale, belief and ethic than anything else. Mourinho is preparing the wax; Old Trafford is about to receive its first Brazilian in some time.

Source: Football365

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KevinDein: 12:34pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

Lana, I have huge respect for SAF but his Man Utd didn't deserve to win any of those finals. I remember how comprehensively outplayed and beaten Man Utd were in those games. I remember how SAF was literally shaking like he was going to have an epileptic seizure.

He underachieved in Europe

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by popizaino(m): 12:35pm On Jun 03, 2018
After all this sweet talk una go till blame this player last last ni.
Unless mourinho no be una coach again.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 12:36pm On Jun 03, 2018
patrickmuf:
How come Barca, Madrid, Liverpool, City, Juventus and the likes are doing well, are they not affected by the same factors affecting our players such as money, social media and the likes...Fergie managed to motivate those guys, Klopp is doing well with Liverpool, Conte won the Fa Cup with Chelsea, why are we questioning the players who were all very exciting before they joined us?
conte won the F A cup finished 5th in the league and is about getting the sack, klopp finished 4th and lost his 700th cup final in a disgraceful manner. Manchester united are both runners up in the league and FA cup, after finishing 6th and winning the league cup and the europa league the previous season.

your hate for jose is disgusting, E the make me vomit. nyama! embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chidexxy007(m): 1:06pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:

Bunch of lazy overpaid guys who are after the money first, success and team is secondary.
Then players were willing to run their socks off for the good of the team no matter where they were being asked to play or do on the pitch..These set of United players just tire sometimes i would be asking myself if this is truly MANUTD..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by obainojazz(m): 1:09pm On Jun 03, 2018
JayKayMaybachz:
Mourinho has signed players from 39 different countries throughout his managerial career, from the Angolan Freddy at União de Leiria to the Jamaican Michael Hector at Chelsea, with the South African Benni McCarthy at Porto in between. He has purchased eight Spanish players, six Frenchmen and three Argetineans. The only nationality he has bought more than his native Portuguese (26) is Brazilian (17).

Six joined Mourinho’s Porto in the summer of 2003, and they ended the campaign as league and European champions. There is little wonder he waxes lyrical over Brazilians. There is even less wonder over why Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred and Juventus left-back Alex Sandro are being targeted this summer. The manager’s hope that “we can have a Brazilian in the squad next year” will come to fruition; he has made his Seleção selections.

Maybe that is why Mourinho was so openly “disappointed” with Andreas Pereira last summer. The 22-year-old looked upon a midfield containing Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera, Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick and decided that it was not worth the fight for a handful of first-team opportunities and a bucketload of frustration. The 23 games played by Scott McTominay, 11 months his junior, certainly suggests that was a mistake.

The ‘expressive personality’ Ferguson often craved and Mourinho hoped to find in his only Brazilian player was absent. It has left a gaping hole in the squad that he intends to fill as soon as possible. After all, “a team without a Brazilian isn’t a team”, and United looked far from a cohesive team for large swathes of this past season.

But it is less Pereira the player and more Pereira the idea that Mourinho feels United need. Someone Ferguson described as ‘born for the big occasion,’ with ‘a special quality’ and ‘great belief’; someone Mourinho believes brings “creativity” that “cannot be measured”. Some of this United squad tick one, two or even three of those boxes; no-one currently checks all four – at least not consistently. This United side needs a player with the ability and belief to step up, to hold themselves accountable, to inspire their teammates.

If the valuation of Alex Sandro is the only real negative to his potential arrival as a seasoned, elite but still relatively young replacement in a problem position, the same cannot be said of Fred. There has been little mention of his £52.5m release clause, but persistent questions over his suitability. “He’s a busy little left-footed midfielder,” said Tim Vickery earlier this week. “Very dynamic, and he’s got some quality. He’s developing as well.

“You could see Fred fitting into a dynamic Man City midfield. He’s almost like a smaller left-footed version of Fernandinho. To my surprise, it seems City have dropped aside and United have come in there.”

Whether the “surprise” was more for City dropping out of the race than for United entering it is uncertain, but also beside the point: this feels like an uncharacteristic signing for a team and a manager that has already invested heavily in midfield, and has more pressing issues in defence. But it is indicative of a team lacking a certain ingredient, and a manager who feels something has been missing in his professional life since parting ways with Willian at Chelsea. There is a reason he still speaks so fondly of the winger to this day.

At first glance, Fred is the antithesis of a United player under Mourinho. He is diminutive and dynamic, not tall and physical; fast and incisive, not slow and methodical. He could be the perfect alarm to shake this land of giants from its slumber.

The fee and the fact that many of Europe’s leading clubs were monitoring his progress suggests he should be a success. But this is as much about instilling a particular spirit and engendering a greater morale, belief and ethic than anything else. Mourinho is preparing the wax; Old Trafford is about to receive its first Brazilian in some time.

Source: Football365
Good piece
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 1:14pm On Jun 03, 2018
weedtaker:
conte won the F A cup finished 5th in the league and is about getting the sack, klopp finished 4th and lost his 700th cup final in a disgraceful manner. Manchester united are both runners up in the league and FA cup, after finishing 6th and winning the league cup and the europa league the previous season.

your hate for jose is disgusting, E the make me vomit. nyama! embarassed
Please read and understand, Lana1 was praising Fergie and the passion of players back then, I am only pointing out that nothing has changed except that Fergie managed to motivate the lads to perform irrespective of situation and position...We have seen players at City, Real, Barca and the likes doing well so nobody should blame the media hype or whatever...Pogba was doing well before he was signed, Matic was also doing well, all the players we signed at one point were doing great at their previous clubs, you can't put the blame on all of them when it is easier to point fingers on one man, the one responsible for the team selection and tactics, Jose Mourinho.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 1:14pm On Jun 03, 2018
eph12:

Fergie was a master at building and rebuilding teams. I can't remember any whining about the quality of the team back then. They go out there and play their blood out because they want to play for the club and SAF. It's a pity most of this present coaches don't know a thing about that
Spot on. Tho most managers might (not) have SAF's man management skills, but that doesn't mean players cant give 100% regardless of who the Manager is.

Was Peak JS Park better than Pogba is now? Who would u rather ve in ur team? It has more to do with the players than the manager
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 1:21pm On Jun 03, 2018
JayKayMaybachz:
In both years they were better, fam
Maybe. But i no see am that way sha
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 1:24pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:
Spot on. Tho most managers might have SAF's man management skills, but that doesn't mean players cant give 100% regardless of who the Manager is.

Was Peak JS Park better than Pogba is now? Who would u rather ve in ur team? It has more to do with the players than the manager
The key ingredient here is motivation...Fergie managed to motivate average players back then to give their all, he believed in the team, he always believe they were the best crop of players...Now compare that to Mourinho who in the middle of the season is already talking of getting more quality players, criticizing the players and specializing in blame games...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2018
KevinDein:

Lana, I have huge respect for SAF but his Man Utd didn't deserve to win any of those finals. I remember how comprehensively outplayed and beaten Man Utd were in those games. I remember how SAF was literally shaking like he was going to have an epileptic seizure.

He underachieved in Europe

Na ur opinion but u can choose to remember what u want to remember.

In 09 we were favorites. Defending Champions. back to back English Champions. World player of the year and one of the best attacking trios in Europe.
We started the game on top. Ronaldo saw two early chances but it all went to shît when Eto scored!

It was in 2011 that we were thoroughly and truly beaten

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:27pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:
Maybe. But i no see am that way sha
Try see am.. Star studded side
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 1:29pm On Jun 03, 2018
popizaino:
After all this sweat talk una go till blame this player last last ni.
Unless mourinho no be una coach again.
That was the point of my post. Mourinho should be blamed for his poor man management skills and shitty tactics but the players deserve the lion share of the blame
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 03, 2018
I'm sick of this Pogba...Till Date I still don't know where his Best position is, Offline in the real World I'm constantly defending him against my Vulture friends, if Pogba put half the effort I use in defending his name to actually playing on the field, that man will win the Ballon dor effortlessly...Everyday last season I woke up sick knowing I have to defend his sorry ass...Trust me when the season ended it was like I was an old blind dog finally put out of his misery...BUY THIS BUY THAT, That showboat is still shite.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 1:50pm On Jun 03, 2018
patrickmuf:
The key ingredient here is motivation...Fergie managed to motivate average players back then to give their all, he believed in the team, he always believe they were the best crop of players...Now compare that to Mourinho who in the middle of the season is already talking of getting more quality players, criticizing the players and specializing in blame games...
SAF was a rare breed and I share ur dislike for Mourinho but u're been biased here.

We made excuses during LVG's time that it was his fault. Now same set of players and another manager and we are still laying all the blames on the manager. When are we going to start blaming the players.

The manager can only motivate to the best of his ability but in the end its not the manager's words that will win the game on the pitch.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:08pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lana1:
SAF was a rare breed and I share ur dislike for Mourinho but u're been biased here.

We made excuses during LVG's time that it was his fault. Now same set of players and another manager and we are still laying all the blames on the manager. When are we going to start blaming the players.

The manager can only motivate to the best of his ability but in the end its not the manager's words that will win the game on the pitch.
If we do a player for player comparison, you'd notice that Mourinho has the better team compared to LVG and yet the players at his disposal have so far underperformed prior to when they met Mou.
Mourinho has left the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford etc worse than they were before him, he has only managed to improve Lingard and Lukaku (his overall game), I deliberately refused to add Young cos under LVG, he was flourishing as a LW.
Now, compared to LVG who I think improved our players in his brief spell as manager, he has his lapses but he certainly isn't as bad ascyou might think...
In all, LVG and Mourinho have seriously underperformed, our style of player is drab, we play like a collection of total strangers hurriedly assembled.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:14pm On Jun 03, 2018
weedtaker:
elampiro don show, bros oya analyze our season for us.

Mehn, everything has been said already. I didn’t come here for about a month or more, and I just read over a hundred pages. I skipped many many pages sha.

I had the premonition that we would lose the FA cup final. I didn’t see some of our last matches. About three matches in April and May. It appears some of the players like Lukaku were more interested in saving themselves for the world cup, in his absence Rashford struggled.

This season is our best season in the league since Ferguson left. Let’s watch out the transfers and see what next season has to offer. We need very good dribblers and magic workers in the midfield and attack. Sanchez didn't live up to expectation, he has already played his best football for Chile, Barca and Arsenal. It is possible also our players are not bringing out his best.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by crazypencils20: 2:37pm On Jun 03, 2018
elampiro:

Mehn, everything has been said already. I didn’t come here for about a month or more, and I just read over a hundred pages. I skipped many many pages sha.

I had the premonition that we would lose the FA cup final. I didn’t see some of our last matches. About three matches in April and May. It appears some of the players like Lukaku were more interested in saving themselves for the world cup, in his absence Rashford struggled.

This season is our best season in the league since Ferguson left. Let’s watch out the transfers and see what next season has to offer. We need very good dribblers and magic workers in the midfield and attack. Sanchez didn't live up to expectation, he has already played his best football for Chile, Barca and Arsenal. It is possible also our players are not bringing out his best.

Any concrete evidence to back up this claim?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by sinizia: 2:41pm On Jun 03, 2018
airmark:

I think it was Ekong that allowed Sterling to probe inside.

Really? Thanks for the correction. I don't even know even most of these players because I haven't watched our match for close to 2 years.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by sinizia: 2:42pm On Jun 03, 2018
chic2pimp:

There is no high expectation on this English side. Not from the English press anyways. Infact this is the lest amount of hype an English Worldcup side has gotten in years.

Seems like England citizens have learnt their lessons from previous heartbreaks after enormous expectations from their players.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5622) (5623) (5624) (5625) (5626) (5627) (5628) ... (14140) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.