Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (775) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8739309 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) ... (14150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:10am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

Argentina Coach Diego Maradona: Lionel Messi Is Better Than I Was At World Cup '86
May 24, 2010 04:15:00

Maradona was the outstanding player of the tournament 24 years ago and has now stated that he has told Messi to follow in his footsteps by leading Argentina to glory in South Africa.

"Messi is better than me at World Cup '86. He's the best player in the world and better by far compared to others. In 86, in Mexico, I did it with the ball, I grew up and my team-mates followed. Now I have explained the same to Leo to do it in South Africa and he has understood," Maradona is quoted as saying by Sport before adding that he wants everything to go through Messi at the finals next month.

Related
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/05/24/1939576/argentina-coach-diego-maradona-lionel-messi-is-better-than-i-was-

Also reported by ESPN. However, Maradona in 2013 said he is the best from Argentina.

Problem with talking too much.

nonsense!
he was just saying this to pump messi up. how many goals & assists did messi cop in comparison to maradona in 86? maradona won it, messi didn't. maybe maradona just finished smoking crack when he gave that interview.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:11am On Jul 14, 2014
coogar:

messi won 4MOTM but he played 7 games. james won 3 MOTM in just 5 games. james won the golden boot in spite of playing only 5 games. he's by far the best player in the tournament, without a shadow of doubt!

Still don't know how those FIFA waste men arrived at that baffling conclusion to be frank.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:12am On Jul 14, 2014
RuuDie:

messi was probably with more "deadweight" than maradona was...

maybe, but the point is moot since messi did not win the cup.
if ever a man won a world cup single-handed it was maradona in 1986. if u can't say that about maradona then u cant say that about anyone.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by landinfo: 12:13am On Jul 14, 2014
coogar:

and i am sure that someone is maradona's wife or daughter who happens to be your neighbour in edo state.

it was maradona & 10 zombies in 86. only 2 players have single-handedly won a world cup. maradona in 86 & garrincha in 62. use google if you are tied in a knot!

Na wa 4 this yarn sef....no player in the history of the world cup has ever Singlehandedly won the WC....Pele & Maradona. Both had superb supporting cast to do them the job...
Thiis final was a dissappointment for Ozil, Kroos & Muller but the other guys had to step up & that is what the Argies lost 2day....i hate indiscipline but i know Tevez would have done better than Palacio, Aguero or Higuan
N.b. Go find the videos of 86 b4 u come here dey like about Maradona having zombies to assist him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:17am On Jul 14, 2014
chic2pimp:

Still don't know how those FIFA waste men arrived at that baffling conclusion to be frank.

why are you surprised? ask yourself how he won ballon d'or in 2010 when he was shyte for club & country. sneijder won the treble & scored 5 goals at the world cup, pushing holland to the final & he wasn't even considered.

this is what oscar tabarez(uruguay coach) said concerning james rodriguez.

"For me, special talents are those who do things that are completely out of the ordinary. Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, James Rodriguez - they do things because they have certain gifts that make them special. I believe he's the best player at the World Cup and I don't think I'm exaggerating; he's a young player. We tried to limit his influence, but he kept going and made his presence felt. Hopefully he'll continue to progress, because he's very young. Football needs players with these characteristics."

end of discussion......
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:19am On Jul 14, 2014
In reference to best player award.

It terms of individual work rate before netting goals, I give it to Robben and Messi. Even Messi's assist was world class.

1. Messi'sa goals vs Bosnia, a typical Lionel Messi's goals as he would for Barca. Run across payers outsiide the box and fire in from 25 yards or so. Same against Iran. Scored a free kick against Enyeama. Against Switzerland, he dribble past one or two players to provide Di Maria an assist. Had a very great game against Belgium. Did well tonight.

Robben was however, the king of individual brilliance.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:21am On Jul 14, 2014
Nairalandinfo:
Na wa 4 this yarn sef....no player in the history of the world cup has ever Singlehandedly won the WC....Pele & Maradona. Both had superb supporting cast to do them the job...
Thiis final was a dissappointment for Ozil, Kroos & Muller but the other guys had to step up & that is what the Argies lost 2day....i hate indiscipline but i know Tevez would have done better than Palacio, Aguero or Higuan
N.b. Go find the videos of 86 b4 u come here dey like about Maradona having zombies to assist him.

Maradona did not have an excellent supporting cast. The team had some decent players but that was all

Burruchaga and Valdano combined to score 20 goals for Argentina in their whole careers! They were good team players but not exactly world class.
Only Ruggieri in that squad could be argued to be world class apart from the unused Passarella
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:25am On Jul 14, 2014
RuuDie: Hold on... Maradona and 11 zombies!?

Burruchaga, Pasarella, Pumpido, Tapia, Valdano, Ruggeri, Batista...

Shuo. Una take am easy nah!

Burruchaga was a decent footballer but that was all.

Passarella did not play, he was sick.

Tapia played a few insignificant minutes and played about 10 matches in his career for Argentina ....who is he?

Batista was good in that tournament.

THAT TEAM HAD A LOT OF JOURNEYMEN FOOTBALLERS.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:26am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro: In reference to best player award.

It terms of individual work rate before netting goals, I give it to Robben and Messi. Even Messi's assist was world class.

1. Messi'sa goals vs Bosnia, a typical Lionel Messi's goals as he would for Barca. Run across payers outsiide the box and fire in from 25 yards or so. Same against Iran. Scored a free kick against Enyeama. Against Switzerland, he dribble past one or two players to provide Di Maria an assist. Had a very great game against Belgium. Did well tonight.

Robben was however, the king of individual brilliance.

Robben

Rodriguez

Muller
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:27am On Jul 14, 2014
afrodoc:

Maradona did not have an excellent supporting cast. The team had some decent players but that was all

Burruchaga and Valdano combined to score 20 goals for Argentina in their whole careers! They were good team players but not exactly world class.
Only Ruggieri in that squad could be argued to be world class apart from the unused Passarella

leave them - let them be analysing chaff. maradona isn't great cos he won a world cup. hundreds of other players have won it.....however, he won that world cup singlehandedly. had riquelme pushed argentina to the final in 2006 as well, he would have been rated as high as maradona cos he also bossed every game he played that year.

goal of the tournament - not even messi would attempt this.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dhelake: 12:37am On Jul 14, 2014
FIFA is all for the money, Messi is more marketable than Muller, Only thing I can think of, Muller had more goals and more assists in lesser minutes
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by landinfo: 12:39am On Jul 14, 2014
afrodoc:

In today's match i.e. if u watched it, u would see that Muller, Ozil, Klose, Kroos, etc were non-existent BUT the other guys stepped up like Schurrler & the likes esp oin the attacking dept.....now look @ Messi who in his little way tried but his 3 front men (Aguero, Higuan, Palacio) were marked absent in attendance.
As 4 Maradona, i insist his compatriots stepped up when he couldn't do much @ the final against West-Germany...that is what 'm talking about
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 12:44am On Jul 14, 2014
I dont care about the golden ball since Germans won the bigger prize

but giving Messi that award is laughable

4 goals against Bosnia , Nigeria and the great Iran. None in the knockout stage

Messi sef go know inside him that it was a useless award
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 12:46am On Jul 14, 2014
Nairalandinfo:
In today's match i.e. if u watched it, u would see that Muller, Ozil, Klose, Kroos, etc were non-existent BUT the other guys stepped up like Schurrler & the likes esp oin the attacking dept.....now look @ Messi who in his little way tried but his 3 front men (Aguero, Higuan, Palacio) were marked absent in attendance.
As 4 Maradona, i insist his compatriots stepped up when he couldn't do much @ the final against West-Germany...that is what 'm talking about

Muller Ozil Kroos didnt do anything, so what did Messi do tonight? or what did Messi do in the semi or even quarters?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:47am On Jul 14, 2014
afrodoc:

Robben

Rodriguez

Muller

Messi's worst goal is better Muller's best goal. Pls let's not apply sentiments, Messi's was second on individual effort, behind Robben.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 12:49am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

Messi's worst goal is better Muller's best goal. Pls let's not apply sentiments, Messi's was second on individual effort, behind Robben.

Muller 5 goals 4 assists Let Messi catch that. Only scored vs 3rd rate football countries
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Nairalandinfo:

yes they stepped up in 86.
but the argument was squad quality. this set of players have more quality players and more world class players than the 86 group.
i watched 86 world cup then and have watched it since. just check out the players for the Argies in 86....

just check out how many times they played for Argentina before or since, what they did in their careers before and after WITHOUT Maradona.

check out their club careers, what did they do?

then watch the matches and see maradona's impact in terms of game play and goals and assists.

This squad had mascherano,di maria,zabaleta,aguero and it could be argued that Messi did not give the best performance from an Argentine in this world cup. Mascherano for my money was better than Messi in this tournament. Just my opinion.......how many goals did Messi score in the knock out stages again?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dhelake: 12:53am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

So MVP are now dashed out on the basis of the best goals?? A 25yard shot against 43rd ranked Iran? A Brace against 44th Ranked Nigeria and a goal against Bosnia?? compared to Muller's hatrick against 4th ranked Portugal, a goal against USA and the opener against Brazil, Muller even had two more assists than him
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 12:56am On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:56am On Jul 14, 2014
dayokanu:

Muller 5 goals 4 assists Let Messi catch that. Only scored vs 3rd rate football countries

It's just quantity. Even this stat beats Robben's goals. It terms of quality of play, Messi comes behind Robben.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:58am On Jul 14, 2014
dayokanu: I dont care about the golden ball since Germans won the bigger prize

but giving Messi that award is laughable

4 goals against Bosnia , Nigeria and the great Iran. None in the knockout stage

Messi sef go know inside him that it was a useless award

messi has FIFA by the balls. it's the most laughable award ever. one could argue lahm, hummels, neuer & muller had a better tournament than messi.

i am very very happy he didn't win the world cup cos then his hype would have gone through the roof. he was very flaccid in the games that matter. diego scored 2 goals against england in q/finals, 2 against belgium in the semis. enough assists in the final.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:58am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

As usual you are the one being sentimental.
Robben,Rodriguez and Muller at least played better than Messi in this tournament.

Messi is the best in the world we know that.....but in this world cup he was a flat track bully (apologies to Berbatov cheesy)
He scored against football nobodies but at crunch time when his country needed him against the big boys he failed again....and again....and again
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:59am On Jul 14, 2014
Dhelake: So MVP are now dashed out on the basis of the best goals?? A 25yard shot against 43rd ranked Iran? A Brace against 44th Ranked Nigeria and a goal against Bosnia?? compared to Muller's hatrick against 4th ranked Portugal, a goal against USA and the opener against Brazil, Muller even had two more assists than him

That's just a restriction to goals. In terms of overall play, Messi was a zillion miles ahead.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 1:01am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

It's just quantity. Even this stat beats Robben's goals. It terms of quality of play, Messi comes behind Robben.

quality and beauty of play its just 2 guys....Robben and James Rodriguez.
I give it Robben cos the Dutch styles was quite defensive and so much pressure was placed on Robben to succeed and HE DELIVERED.
Rodriguez' team played attacking flowing and open football giving him a better opportunity to shine and HE DID.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 1:03am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

That's just a restriction to goals. In terms of overall play, Messi was a zillion miles ahead.

Overall play? How many assists did Messi have? How many shots on target did he have in the knockout stage?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:03am On Jul 14, 2014
afrodoc:

As usual you are the one being sentimental.
Robben,Rodriguez and Muller at least played better than Messi in this tournament.

Messi is the best in the world we know that.....but in this world cup he was a flat track bully (apologies to Berbatov cheesy)
He scored against football nobodies but at crunch time when his country needed him against the big boys he failed again....and again....and again

If it's about goals and the team you scored against, then Folan wouldn't be the best in 2010. Except you didn't watch the matches, Messi was one of the top two. Did he not even singlehandly kill Belgium? No one talks about that world class assist after he skipped past two players or so.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Keky(m): 1:05am On Jul 14, 2014
FIFA reopened last balon d'or voting after ronaldo hattrick against sweden . FIFA no corrupt that time, smh,
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:05am On Jul 14, 2014
Nairalandinfo:

his compatriots did what? maradona scored 5 goals & 5 assists in that world cup. that's 10 goals out of 14 world cup goals his country scored in that tournament

#dominance.

now let's get to the technical bits.....
maradona attempted or created more than half of argentina's shots, embarked on 90 dribbles (three times more than any other player in the tournament) and he was fouled 53 times winning his team twice as many free kicks as any player.

#influence.

there will never be another player like diego ever again.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 1:07am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

If it's about goals and the team you scored against, then Folan wouldn't be the best in 2010. Except you didn't watch the matches, Messi was one of the top two. Did he not even singlehandly kill Belgium? No one talks about that world class assist after he skipped past two players or so.

What did Messi do vs Belgium? He was useless from quarter finals till final

if its by quality of goals then Rodriguez, Cahill Van Persie and Robben are the ones

Not scoring vs Iran, Bosnia and Nigeria

In 2010 Forlan scored vs Germany, Holland the only big nations he played against
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:08am On Jul 14, 2014
dayokanu:

Overall play? How many assists did Messi have? How many shots on target did he have in the knockout stage?

This is not how football is judged. This thread is screwed with stats. Shots on target ke Omg!

If we were to judge for instance, we could say that the Ecuadorian should be in top 10 having scored 3 goals in 3 games.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 1:09am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

Its obvious you are the one who didnt watch the matches

Forlan scored vs Holland and Germany same teams Messi faced and didnt even have a shot on target
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Dhelake: 1:11am On Jul 14, 2014
elampiro:

Which wonderful class assist? Higuains goal against Belgium came from Di Maria's blocked shot, how then is that a Messi assist. Sneidjer was the best player in 2010, FIFA as usual just did the rubbish they are known for

(1) (2) (3) ... (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) ... (14150) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Kenny242(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.