|Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 1217040 members, 1597571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 04:46 AM
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by wealth123: 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2012|
how can i answer a MADPROF. My post on those threads are meant for sane people and thank God they are responding.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by aydotcome: 10:14pm On Feb 18, 2012|
@op.Life is full of challenges and opportunities.Sometimes, what you think is a disaster might turn around to be opportunity in disguise.God works wonders! People have lost their job at one point or the other, but to see them in few years later employing PEOPLE! "It is up to us what we make out of the situation we find ourselves".People loose their job all across the globe, ,companies, banks,institutions are still downsizing and will continue, as the global economy still bite hard, ,but Life goes on.
My advice for you is to see opportunity out of the situation you find yourself and don't be entrenched in self pity! You can make it with what you have got.It is up to you! See u @ the top! May God help us all.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by madprof(m): 10:16pm On Feb 18, 2012|
So, just because I'm madprof means we can't do business huh? And here I thought you were a shrewd businessman with the ability to look beyond the obvious.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by madprof(m): 10:18pm On Feb 18, 2012|
So, just because I'm madprof means we can't do business huh? And here I thought you were a shrewd businessman with the ability to look beyond the obvious.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by jumsnarol: 10:31pm On Feb 18, 2012|
i dont know your exact location but i was told some few days ago that skye bank is recruiting. So u can try contacting people u know there to give u more info
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by caitlin1: 10:46pm On Feb 18, 2012|
@george, if you care to listen, i will tell you the true, there are lots of things you can do and survive in life, aside stealing, i havnt worked all my life and not that i am that from a rich family. i survive, built my house already, drive honda car and also with family and also stay in 2bedroom. email me email@example.com i will tell you 100% legal things to do one of is it forex trading and if you want illegal, yahoo is there lol.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by mpmp: 10:52pm On Feb 18, 2012|
You have a B.Sc in Mettalurgical and Materials Engineering and you worked in a Bank. That is where the problem is. If you had worked in the bank for like 2-years now, and suppose you even get a job related to your field of academic study, how would you relate your past work experience with the position you are applying for. Meaning, you are going to start afresh, like a fresh graduate.
This is why I usually advise people against working in banks, especially when they dont have the requisite academic qualifications. Why? because the day the bank administration is looking for who to sack, all those who read courses on the other side of the fence will be the first to go.
Anyway brother, I can help you out.
1) what can you do?
2) what kinda job are you looking for. I have no leads for another bank job?
3) do you really know your materials engineering very well, or have you forgotten. I can connect you with the IRRI if you are interested.
you can send me a mail with your phone number.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Vernor(m): 10:58pm On Feb 18, 2012|
hello george , please be u under take any biz please read financial i.q by kiyosaki please it has helped me too and also investigate , some bereau de change need financing with wot u have you can turn it into good money just look 4 sincere and good person, you will get it right.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by madprof(m): 11:13pm On Feb 18, 2012|
"This is why I usually advise people against working in banks, especially when they dont have the requisite academic qualifications. Why? because the day the bank administration is looking for who to sack, all those who read courses on the other side of the fence will be the first to go."
This is very untrue. Banks do not fire by specialization, just as they do not hire by specialization. Georgee can confirm that to you.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by tEsLim(m): 11:21pm On Feb 18, 2012|
Well first things first safety. Some people are out htere ready to con you off your 800k that looks like poo money to you. Better try get the best outta what you got. Some people dont even have 20k in their bank acocunt and they are in same position about to get married
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Limaoscar: 11:24pm On Feb 18, 2012|
Hello guys, i am soo depressed and devasted as am typing this. The shake up in the banking industry affected me last nyt. Ecobank bought over oceanic bank, Last nyt 15-02-2012 was a black day 4me. 90% of us my dept were disengaged. My fiancee is 3months pregnant, my introduction is comin up by march, Am using this medium to beg anybody dat can help a brother out, Life is full of ups and downs. I need to move on. My fiancee has bn crying eva since. My mum myt kill herself if she finds out. Help is wat i seek for, God wil surely make it easy 4 al of us. It took me 3yrs of pain and anguish afta NYSC to gt the job. I hav a B.Sc in Met/Mat Engineering, UNILAG. God bless u as help a brother in need.
Get a grip of yourself man! It's not the end of the world. Tell all those who should know about it starting from close family members and that includes your Mum. BTW who told you that your mum "might kill herself"? I figure that If She tells you all the challenges She's navigated through life without your Bank Job You will be shocked to know How well She could hold herself together when bad news comes knocking. Don't you dare understimate How well our parents can cope with situations and that's one of the things you can't take away from Africans. Life don't knock us down easily even when it does, we always spring back-up! We fall, but we get-up!!
Take a break to be by yourself at least One week in Solitary to pray, to think , to write down Ideas and to re-set new goals. Bruv, you no go suffer, If you have experience, courage and goodwill from some of your customers and friends you might be on a re-discovery journey.
Eni to o ku ko faili o ( Yoruba paraphrased: Once there is life, there is hope, Pidgin Englidh:Person wey never die , Never fail for life, Oyibo version: You ain't a failure if you at least still got a life to live). God bless you , go pick the pieces together and come back here soon to re-tell the story-o.k.?
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by ayztech(f): 11:35pm On Feb 18, 2012|
@mpmp, sorry I have to infringe on your kindness extended to georgee.my sis just got laid off by ecobank too and i know she will very much appreciate the IRRI link.please how does she contact you?many thank s in anticipation
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by wale81: 11:37pm On Feb 18, 2012|
Send a mail to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would then respond, and we would take things further.
I cannot promise anything, but we can put heads together and I can share some ideas with you.
For now, get a grip, you need to calm down and be focused.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by ayztech(f): 11:39pm On Feb 18, 2012|
Please I forgot to mention she read accountancy and has an MBA. She has always wanted to work in an international NGO.thanks again
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by success4(m): 11:42pm On Feb 18, 2012|
If you are not careful you might open a thread later on how a NLder duped you.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by member_479760: 12:33am On Feb 19, 2012|
This is serious!
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by iiiyyyk(m): 12:37am On Feb 19, 2012|
The crops were planted, tended, and harvested - now the ground lies fallow, awaiting the new planting. Did the year fail? I think not. As the year has seasons, everything in life has its own cycles - its own rhythms. There will be a Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn every year. Every creature will be born, reproduce (or not), and die. A tortoise may live a century and a butterfly a few hours, but each has a cycle. The unpredictable and irregular happenings of life's cycles are an inherent part of their nature. There are droughts and heat waves, injuries occur. The lion eats the zebra - one is nourished, one dies - neither failed. Careers and relationships also have their cycles of birth, growth, and death - to be followed by rebirth and the renewal of the cycle. The ending of a job or a relationship may appear as the darkest night, but it is merely the Winter season - the time of renewal and rebirth that precedes the new planting - the beginning of the next great cycle.
I hope you enjoyed these words of encouragement.
My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS: The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by seyibrown(f): 1:31am On Feb 19, 2012|
Sorry to hear about your plight. This is a good time to look at your relationship with God! Go to the registry with your fiancee very quietly! Get closer to God.
Please, send me your CV (particularly interested in what you did in foreign operations). Include phone number!
God bless you.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Danka7777(m): 2:57am On Feb 19, 2012|
I have never understood why some Nigerians are quick to get married or start a family. Why the rush? Take your time. However if feel you must get married then, make sure you have at least 3 yrs worth of savings to support yourself and family in the event of an emergency. Emergencies are losing your job without adequate notice, family members being gravely ill(this might cost millions in rare cases) and many other situations.
I had my Dad asked me the other day, when are going to get married? He continued, I got married at 27 and had you at 28. I said Dad, you see, 2011 is not 1984. Things have changed. I will get married when I am ready even if its means at age 40. Don't want unnecessary hardship for myself and future family.
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you except to say that the marriage would have to wait if you love yourself first. I know your wife might get mad on this, yes, but sort yourself out first.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by obowunmi(m): 3:01am On Feb 19, 2012|
take ya wife to the registry is it by force to do big wedding, rubbish!
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by otokx(m): 4:21am On Feb 19, 2012|
still taking notes,
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by efosanice: 5:15am On Feb 19, 2012|
Thank your stars you were paid sever fee, when I disengaged from finbank, they paid us nothing
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by ohnana: 5:48am On Feb 19, 2012|
please and please dont let people get you carried away with their unrealistic advice. I dont have a link for a job for you, but
Now is the time to sit down and BUDGET!
know what type of help you need and who can help you.
people will pray for you, but dont get carried away please and please BUDGET while looking for a job.
Whether or not You get a new job or not or start a business you dont want to be jobless and homeless , so budget accordingly as if you're going to be unemployed for 6 months.
1. 300k for your accomodation. (even if u move to a cheaper place, you're going to use money to move)
2. stock up on food in your house.
3. SAVE another portion say like 100k (im hoping you were saving before you got laid off, but if not you can start now)
4. set aside another portion for the baby (cos whether u like it or not, baby is coming)
5. Turn your introduction into the wedding proper. (that would make it low-key)
6. set aside another portion for job hunting (owo la fi n wa owo)
Whatever is left out of your severance package (maybe 400 or 500k, you can decide what you want to invest it on (self employment/business)
get your fiancee to help with money while she can still work. this is 2012, you dont have to be the sole breadwinner. Let her open another account where she can be saving money for (it could be food money or baby needs) when you guys get married.
IF your family wants to help, and they are people who cannot connect you to a job, ask them to foot a part of the wedding (have a back-up in case they disappoint, if they dont save your back-up) if they can give you money. if its peole that cant give u money or link u with a job, just let them pray for you.
Whatever you do, have a SOLID plan as to what type of help you need exactly. Commit things to God, and he shall surely make a way. It is well.
Thank God you have all these committments, no job AND 800k, it would be worse if you had these same committments, no job and no 800k.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Superbrain(m): 6:16am On Feb 19, 2012|
I sympathize with you but you need to be sincere to yourself at this point. BTW, please be careful with what you do with the 800k. Like someone rightly said, not everyone is here with good intentions. You have received a lot of advice here but I will still give you a summary of hard facts and what you should consider doing.
1. MARRIAGE: It would be foolish of you to still think about having a wedding in your current circumstance. I would have loved to ask you what your financial plans (before you were laid off) were as regards the wedding because it seems you didn't have any. Anyway, you have to go ahead with the marriage but keep it low-keyed. Your best bet is to go to the registry and do it there. When you're back on your feet in the near future, you can always give your wife that special treat she deserves. Don't be conned into spending on a wedding. Now is the time to man-up.
2. BUSINESS: You have to tread carefully when it comes to business. Among all the options people gave here, I'm fully in support of the mini supermarket thing. There are various things you can do bro. You can start a car wash biz, you can get some good artisans together and manage them (vulcanizers, mechanics, etc). Trust me, you have a lot you can do with your capital. I will advise you do not spend more than 400k on any business you intend to start. Do your research. Find a need in your location, area of specialization, or generally and meet it. And forget that crap about 'having only banking experience'. You have to adapt to your current situation.
3. RENT: GET OUT OF THAT APARTMENT!!! It is financially suicidal at this point in your life to pay the 300k as rent next month. If you have that money set aside already (asides the 800k) then maybe you can go ahead. Telling you to move to another cheap apartment in your current dilemma might be insensitive. Even if you find a 100k apartment, by the time you are billed for two years including agent fees, you might be spending close to the 300k you avoided paying. Remain in your current apartment if you have set aside the 300k previously (BTW, don't tell me you didn't even have any savings for your marriage before you were laid off). If 800k is all you have home and away, move to a far cheaper place ASAP and keep a tab on the rent and relocation costs (max 200k).
4. EXPENSES: You have to cut your daily and monthly expenses drastically. Pull up a pen and paper and start making those budget cuts. Now you understand what most country leaders have been facing in recent times. Cut all your excesses. Make provision for your wife's medicals too. Look for a government general hospital and get to know what medical costs you should expect. She can go for ante-natal there. Just make sure that your monthly expenses can be taken care off for the next 9 months (after you set aside rent, business capital, etc). Follow your new budget religiously.
5. JOB: If you still want to get another job (assuming you are not business inclined or too lazy to start a business), then map out a strategy. You worked in foreign operations, right? Pull up all your contacts, people you met/ have interacted with in your previous job. Call them and let them know the current situation and ask if they could be of any help. If you were a good chap, you might get some unusual favour which may be in form of a job or support for your business. If you must get another job, you have to be radical in your approach. Get a job that can help with your expenses. This would only be temporary as you will also be working out a better plan to get back on your feet.
6. NAIRALAND: Please do not ignore anyone here. Send your CV to anyone who asked you to but do not give money to anyone who comes up with a bogus idea or business partnership. 800k is a lot and trust me, you don't want to lose that money at this critical time. I'm saying this because I met someone here on NL who changed my life. I never believed his calibre would even bother with NAIRALAND. There are a lot of respectable people here.
Ultimately, God is everything. If you were not close to him before, now is the time but this time, Remain in HIM. More challenges are ahead but trust in Him and He will see you through.
You can send your CV to me: email@example.com . I'm not promising anything but I'll see what I can do. BE STRONG!
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by pareto(m): 6:53am On Feb 19, 2012|
I dont know why pple are scolding you because of the house rent. If you move to a new apartment now, wont it cost you more, bro, i suggest you make a part payment may be 150,000 and try to plan on other things. May be before the end of the yr sometime great can happen. Most of those pple dont understand. God will help you.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by unclenna(m): 7:11am On Feb 19, 2012|
@poster, what i may say may not be sweet but hear it. You can't start any biz from the scratch and make it with 300k huz rent waiting. My advice as others said is to cut your expenses by looking for a huz that will cost less than 100k and let every1 around you know your situation now and back off from asking you for cash. Tell your wife to understand and locate a gud biz and start small. I bet you, you can come out from this. I don't like giving out my email but i bet you can come out of this. I can help you with free biz ideas you can start small and build to greatness. Mind you am not trying to help you for any gain. Drop your email and phone number let me help my fellow co-metal.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by aloeeverhealth: 7:16am On Feb 19, 2012|
The only way I can help you is by helping yourself. Yes, you can start of a business with little capital. This business only needs your will and zeal.
But first, read this 3 posts here. http://www.newlifeacheivers.blogspot.com. It is well bro
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by c_osemiha(m): 8:00am On Feb 19, 2012|
Hi Georgee, you might need to read the book ' the richest man in Babylon', your answers lie therein, all the very best,
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by KINGwax(m): 8:02am On Feb 19, 2012|
Hehehe, and i learnt the fiance was crying. GIRLS, I can imagine what runs in her head. Listen son, u better brace up and
1. Get a new apartment
2. Forget marriage for now. Low key will even cost like 300k
3. Forget your previous job and status then
4. Start a business and enjoy it
5. Stop thinkin or u die and another banker start fuckin your finance cos i can imagine her thinkin things aint gonna be like before!
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by fuke(m): 8:15am On Feb 19, 2012|
Go start a canteen with your wife at strategic place as long as your wife can cook well.
Take this advice and you will never work for anybody again.
Try to visit http://naijabizideas.com/. Spend like 10 minutes on the site.
Best of luck.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by chucky234(m): 8:56am On Feb 19, 2012|
Man I really understand your pain as I was once in your shoes but thank God for his mercies.
This is a trying and many people will present business offers to you,proposed to teach you one form of business or the other but please becareful so you don't blame yourself for the rest of your life.
With 800k I don't think you should be worried because I personally had just 30k when my business collapsed,my account was frozen and was left 30k cash to ponder on but today am happy.
You should go ahead with your rent as that will afford you a shelter for additional 12 months,budget 250k for your traditional marriage and the 250k left is enough to start up something.
Today I import Blackberry phones,iphones,android tablet PCs,New and used laptops directly from the US and you can sell them within days. I actually sell from home,no office or shop require for you to run many businesses if you are creative enough.
You don't need to take loan from anyone as that will put you under greater pressure which you don't need at this time.
Goodluck,remember to act wise.
|Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Dr. Wise: 9:26am On Feb 19, 2012|
I lost my job exactly 3 weeks ago with Intercontinental bank, I didn't want anybody to pity ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ cos I considered it a phase in my wife. My wife is 4 months pregnant but I thanked God for everthing. Anytime I look at my pregnant wife, I intensify my job seaarch and still very hopeful that something will come up.
George, self pity would not solve anything, brazen up and face reality.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise