Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Where Are The Farmers? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Where Are The Farmers? (20099 Views)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / Farmers In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Jarus(m): 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2012
tkb417:

@Jarus

grin grin Youre one of the smartest people i know

yeah, it was JO i met on the plane

he doesnt know about this ohh so dont metion to him abeg cheesy grin
No wahala, my senior. smiley
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
Shola (f):

I think this advice is best suited for me.
My husband and I will be spending the whole of winter away in Lagos.  I have acquired some farm land, overlooking the lagoon but,
I am undecided which to go for:  My preference is Fish farming plus one of the following  eg Cassava, Maize, Tomatoes, Peppers and Plantain.
farmland in Lagos?

you must have paid a fortune to acquire the land
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by violent(m): 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2012
tkb417:

grin grin

dangote bawo hehe

points noted bro,   Do you have Tmonis BB pin?

No i don't.

By the way, are you going this alone with only your capital involved?
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Sholaf(f): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
tkb417:

farmland in Lagos?

you must have paid a fortune to acquire the land

The farm land is just across the border, Benin Republic
I have a pad in Cotonou.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by fuke(m): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
Your idea is ok but the type of land is important.

For Plantain come to Ilesha in Oshun state.
The land there is naturally made for plantain

For rice it is Effon Alaye , not fr from Ilesha .
It is the gateway to Ekiti state. Land here is also good for plantain.

As for land I will assist.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 4:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
violent:

No i don't.

By the way, are you going this alone with only your capital involved?
I can do it alone but 2 friends are on my neck asking if they can be part of it. let me tell you why they are on my neck. When i was about to start stakersden, i asked one of them to drop cash and come on board, ol boi, i practically chased this guy all over Lagos. He didnt come through and i started solo

a year and half now, hes seeing the cashflow and now he believes in me grin grin

na olodo
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 5:02pm On Feb 17, 2012
fuke:

Your idea is ok but the type of land is important.

For Plantain come to Ilesha in Oshun state.
The land there is naturally made for plantain

For rice it is Effon Alaye , not fr from Ilesha .
It is the gateway to Ekiti state. Land here is also good for plantain.

As for land I will assist.

yeah, type of land is key. Thats true

not sure i have any challenges as per land

The Efon Alaye land, how big is it?
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by targus: 5:03pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hello Guys,
I can tell you about plantain, i have 260 Hectares of land in Osun State which i'm using to plant Cocoa and Oil Palm, I have planted about 70 Hectares so fare, both the Cocoa and Oil Palm are inter cropped with plantain, plantain take between 12-14 months to maturity and it's sold per dozen bunches for between N10000-N18000 in Ketu lagos depending on the Size, and you'll have average of 1250 suckers planted on an hectare, so do you sum. you can check out my facebook page for pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116715185102176.21538.100002910857107&type=3
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2012
shocked shocked shocked

where is the farm? i can come and look oh
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by assetstrap(m): 5:06pm On Feb 17, 2012
how long is the process of growing rice from cultivating to harvest. Nice thread by the way!
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 5:09pm On Feb 17, 2012
assetstrap:

how long is the process of growing rice from cultivating to harvest. Nice thread by the way!
90-120 days

thanks
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Goshen360(m): 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2012
Well, ours has been GRASSCUTTER FARMING. It has been a good and profitable business in the long run and over the years.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by assetstrap(m): 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2012
tkb417:

90-120 days

thanks

Wow i didn't envisage that time period, i reckoned a lot longer. Do u know what quality of rice u can produce on your farm compared to the imported ones? and furthermore in terms of irrigation how r u going about it. cheers
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 5:37pm On Feb 17, 2012
goshen360:

Well, ours has been GRASSCUTTER FARMING. It has been a good and profitable business in the long run and over the years.
we are in the same biz bro

we must help 9ja attain an appreciable level of food production in little time
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by targus: 5:37pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hello Guys,
I can tell you about plantain, i have 260 Hectares of land in Osun State which i'm using to plant Cocoa and Oil Palm, I have planted about 70 Hectares so fare, both the Cocoa and Oil Palm are inter cropped with plantain, plantain take between 12-14 months to maturity and it's sold per dozen bunches for between N10000-N18000 in Ketu lagos depending on the Size, and you'll have average of 1250 suckers planted on an hectare, so do you sum. you can check out my facebook page for pictures.

Check out targusfarm if you are on facebook
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by tkb417(m): 5:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
assetstrap:

Wow i didn't envisage that time period, i reckoned a lot longer. Do u know what quality of rice u can produce on your farm compared to the imported ones? and furthermore in terms of irrigation how r u going about it. cheers
1) There are different varieties of seeds i can grow with good yields. I have some peeps in IITA that can advise on what to plant at a particular/specific ecology.

2) There are 2 planting seasons. The wet and dry season. Wet season- The rain will take care of itself while i intend to sink boreholes to ensure adequate water during the dry season

The fadama projects are supposed to a fortress but mehn, nothing is going on with that programme.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by hunterden: 6:28pm On Feb 17, 2012
been following this thread for about 30mins now and i can say its very educative and interesting

@Jcob

I like to know where your friend's farm is and if its possible to visit.I am very interested in the Animal Husbandry aspect,although i must confess i don't know anything about raising animals for consumption but i have expertise in breeding Dogs(not for consumption).I have a 45 acre land in Aramoko Ekiti and venturing into other aspect of Agriculture(Cassava production) wont be bad,but like i said i don't know anything about farming and learning from someone with expertise will be the first step.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by dayokanu(m): 6:38pm On Feb 17, 2012
TKB i know say one day you go make me proud  cheesy

First thing. Have you thought of a location? where is the location, have you secured the location? What type of rice are you looking into cos I believe some thrive more in swamp while some in dry land.

2nd thing Capital: I dont need to tell you that you SHOULDNT finance this with personal cash, there are inherent risks in business and you shouldnt take the hit fully. Stakerden would be a low Capital investment compared to this and every part of the Farming process is important, from getting the land, clearing, planting, maintaining the plants and harvesting/processing Every little detail must fall into place to have this result

Delay in rains for 3-4weeks might cause a whole hectare to fail. So I would strongly advice you spread the risk to others (mainly banks)

3rd point: Advise start pilot and expand gradually, "ojo ti a gun ko lan kan orun". believe me there are some attendant risk involved with any business that you would never have thought of.

I had a similar experience with businesses both in Nigeria and in the US. The Nigerian one is going to almost a year and we are still facing teething problems we never envisaged. In an investment of about 6million, I made my first 30k profit January ending grin grin

The US one is still in its infancy barely 3 months old, and still nurturing it and pumping money into it

I can share my experience if you want to know. But trust me start with small land and as you learn and grow you can expand

This your project isnt a 2-3yr hit and chop money scheme, Its more like a 10-20yr project which if you follow through methodically using all the skills you learn in business world, connection, favorable govt you fit dey rival Dangote.
Let me tell you, a time would come when you would almost blame yourself for venturing into it, even close friends and families would doubt your sanity for sticking with a "stupiid project" but stay strong have emergency cash pool, strong mind and willpower to succeed
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by benzion72(m): 6:46pm On Feb 17, 2012
Rice production is a welcome idea. Agriculture is one of the real sector where your return is gaurantee in multiple fold imagine one seed of rice given you more than 40 and the 40 give you 1600 on and on like that. You need the technical know of rice planting ranging from location, type is it upland rice or low land planted in paddy or low land. You must be ready to fight birds they are potential destroyer.
Also the government policy need to be examined, Govt should place a ban on imported rice to encourage local production. An outright ban on rice production will lead to the employment of half of nigeria graduate roaming the street. From production, processing, sales and distribution.

I am into Poultry Business for complete poultry advise you can reach me on alben2002@gmail.com
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Jarus(m): 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2012
DK, that your story dey scare me o smiley
You see why I dey fear to leave Wale's payroll  sad grin
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 17, 2012
It's nice to see another Entrepreneur on NL.

I am working on a 5 year plan to return home to start a farm on a large scale commercialized basis. I hope to form or join an existing cooperation, unity in strength. Sharing resources, machinery, etc

I like your biz plan so far, large scale is better of course if everything is equal.

I love that you shy away from start up on a financed basis, excellent idea.

Try to include exporting on your biz plan.

Targus: love your farm house, I envision similar (simple) but with a high tower. Do you have a river running through your farm? Nice.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Idango(m): 6:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
Nice topic, thank you.

I notice that there is no category for agriculture or farming on nairaland. Such an important category.

I have being thinking of going into animal farming , poultry and pigry for sometime now and i dont know how to go about it. i m based in lagos. Someone can help me here.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by benzion72(m): 7:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
@Idango for all your poultry needs from Day Old Chicks to laying of Egg. Or broiler from Day Old to 2Kg body weight in 6Wks I can be of help alben2002@gmail.com
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Fhemmmy: 7:01pm On Feb 17, 2012
Idango:

Nice topic, thank you.

I notice that there is no category for agriculture or farming on nairaland. Such an important category.

I have being thinking of going into animal farming , poultry and pigry for sometime now and i dont know how to go about it. i m based in lagos. Someone can help me here.

That could be a great subsection under business . . . Not a bad idea.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Kengbeoro: 8:05pm On Feb 17, 2012
TKB,
tkb417:

I can do it alone but 2 friends are on my neck asking if they can be part of it. let me tell you why they are on my neck. When i was about to start stakersden, i asked one of them to drop cash and come on board, ol boi, i practically chased this guy all over Lagos. He didnt come through and i started solo

a year and half now, hes seeing the cashflow and now he believes in me grin grin

na olodo

I advice u grow plantain, the maintenance is not expensive and I am sure it will thrive well close to ur rice plantation but not mixed farming method sha.
All the best bro!
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by targus: 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2012
@Somorin.

Thanks, Yes, River Owena is actually the boundary of my farm for about 1 mile and some stream that flows into river Owena all around the farm, but they do dry up in the dry season though, but river owena is a big river and will be the source of supply for my irrigation program
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Koolking(m): 8:24pm On Feb 17, 2012
Quite enlightening. I am having a rethink.

Keep it coming folks
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by agiboma(f): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2012
ooo boy your plan sounds very good and yes their is so much money in agriculture, but i do think you need more time to get to know the business better before preceeding any further
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

I dont know whether you opened this thread before or after I sent you that message asking for how your business was faring, but since you mentioned it in our 'Welcome to office' thread last year that you'd resigned from your IN job, I have been looking for you to ask wassup.

Your decision is one of the bravest I have seen by a Nigerian of our generation. From your well-paying, well-connecting job in the IB industry, you suddenly dropped the letter! ol' boy, you try o.

Your announcement of your decision last year got me thinking seriously since then, and(I hope oyb will not tell oga smiley), I have gone ahead to register my own company too early this year and still researching and testing waters. If things work out, never say never in the next 2 years, I'm looking at toeing similar line, but hey, ore, I no fit drop curtain on this job yet.  cheesy

Agric is an area I believe you can explore. There still lies undertapped opportunities there.

PS: It was JO you met in plane  smiley!

ya oga get im own runs cheesy cheesy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Jarus(m): 8:56pm On Feb 17, 2012
^^
grin
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by Goshen360(m): 9:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
tkb417:

we are in the same biz bro

we must help 9ja attain an appreciable level of food production in little time

You can email me and I will love to connect you to my Dad back home so both of you can work together. We've got so much breeding stock for sales. You know what am talking about. Mine is goshen360@yahoo.co.uk. God bless you bro.
Re: Where Are The Farmers? by chreldb(m): 9:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
This is my own 2 kobo

1). Farming looks very attractive theoretically on paper, but practically there are always unforseen detriments. And it takes a great deal of experience to bypass these obstcles.

2). Do not trust wholheartedly any agricultural policy concerning agricultural development. Year in year out the government always comes up with the same old story of how it intends on developing the nations agricultural industry, but nothing is ever done practically. A very good example is the 2 billion dollar agric loan that was released during the Yaradua's administration. Till today I am yet to see anyone come out to claim that they were beneficiaries to that loan scheme. So what happened to the money? If you have been priviledged to challenge government officials on why the state of agriculture is so pathetic. I can assure you that the response you will get is that they know what to do but are not been given the chance to because the government simply does not care.  

3). Even in developed countries, grains such as rice and maize are subsidised by the government to encourage the farmers to continue production and strengten food security for the populace

4). Lastly I am glad for you that you are in correspondence with some research scientists at IITA very necessary. But however, take cognisance of the fact that field or laboratory reseach breakthrough does not necessarily equate to commercial benefits. Pilot programmes have to be set up to verify the scientific findings commercially wise. That's why agriculturally related scientists seldom own farms cos they know this fact. But they will encourage people to go into farming because of their potential consultancy benefits. shocked

In conclusion I think you should take your time and do not be in a rush to establish your dream farm in order to avoid making any mistake. Try and dialogue with an older and experienced non professional farmer. Such a persom would be more pragmatic in his advise than an enthusiastic young scientist. The agricultural industry in Nigeria is truly a sleeping giant but to succeed you have to find a way to beat the system. Everything I have said is as a result of experience, practically and scientifically.  cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Have You Been Able To Spend The Old Naira Notes In Your Area? / Naira Now ₦460 To Dollar In Blackmarket / Great Lessons About Money That Would Help Your Finances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.