Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? (47957 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of All (this Pix) / What's The Full Meaning Of ADC? / Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by stayreal: 12:13am On Feb 19, 2012
chidexy:

@Afam4eva, so after listening to the balderdash spewing out of Femi-Fani Kayode's mouth on Channels TV you suddenly realized that the name Nigeria means Darkness. Black and Darkness are not the same nor synonyms. Tell your mentor to get back to class and relearn his "history". Our name relates to the beautiful river Niger that flows through our nation and should NEVER be changed. If he's tired of being a Nigerian, he should dust up his British passport and leave us to be Nigerians

You still do not understand. What does niger mean? That is a latin word that means black. Who named the niger river? what did tribes connected to the river call it? It was not called niger until the white man came. Please do not be ignorant!

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Shagaiya04(m): 12:37am On Feb 19, 2012
If Nigeria be renamed then we(all Nigerian) need to come up with a name that represent all and is meaningful to us all.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 1:27am On Feb 19, 2012
I no know before o! Atleas, now, i don know. Op, tanQue jare!
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by logica(m): 8:54am On Feb 20, 2012
[quote="Beaf"]Regardless of what the name means, it shows a complete lack of self-worth that we have been unable to take up an indegenious name in our more than half a century of existence. A name that actually means something to us, something with history, warmth and such cultural backing that we can feel a glow each time it is mentioned.

Living under the name, Nigeria is the same as a Nigerian naming his child "Phillip" or "Zachariah" and thinking nothing is wrong. By giving that child a foreign name, you have planted a seed in its psyche that foreign is better; in other words, you have conjured shortcomings on your own kid and projected them unto the World as a mere counterfeit; struggling to be the "better" white man or Arab. Always a shadow of the real thing and always lacking substance.
White people live here all their lives, but I have never ever met a white Biodun or Igho or Izu. I have met many whites who are happy to recite how they grew up in Enugu, Kano or Lagos; one was even desperate to speak Hausa, but without fail, they are all called names like John, Tim, Shawn etc.

Inferiority complex shows in a name, sometimes that is not the case, but most times it is.
In the case of the Name, Nigeria it definitely is a national case of inferiority showing through, as such the name is a symptom of a deeper malaise (as someone pointed out earlier). It is the reason we cannot manufacture a pin in the country, because we believe we are inately incapable. It is also the same reason we see goods made in Aba and instead of glowing pride in the achievements of our own, we feel a sort of shame and hurry off to buy the one from "Germany," even in cases where the Aba one is better.

The name has no meaning or concept, either physically, psychologically or spiritually to the citizen. Indeed, it is as much a mere word as the country, Nigeria is a mere piece of land on which we happen to exist. No meaning, no attachment, no culture.
Is it a surprise that a country that can live like that is highly unsucssessful? Somebody show me a developed country that is bearing a meaningless foreign name. You will find exactly NONE.

You are your name.[/quote]
Um, are you saying your president is about to change his name? smiley What with a name like "Goodluck Jonathan"? WTF?

If you are a bit more exposed, you will meet white people with Yoruba names (as I have); and yes living in Ibadan.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Shagaiya04(m): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
What baffles me most is the giver of the name, a british girl who knows nothing about the land or the people.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2012
Shagaiya04:

What baffles me most is the giver of the name, a british girl who knows nothing about the land or the people.

I heard she was a prrostitute too.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by chosen04(f): 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2012
afam4eva:

I heard she was a prrostitute too.

She was a call girl (A senior sister of a prostitute)
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by juman(m): 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2012
Hiss. A country less country. Hiss.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Shagaiya04(m): 9:17pm On Feb 24, 2012
The change we desire begins with us here, what name do we think will fit these great African giant, ?
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Itee4real(m): 12:57pm On Jan 08, 2014
Afam4eva: I'm sure many of you knew that Nigeria means "Nigeria Area". But what you all may not know is what the word Niger means. I just learned that that word means darkness. That means Nigeria means "Darkness Area". Is that why we've not been able to sort the power problem? Or do you think that the name has had adverse effect on our country?

This is BULlSHIIT, imao.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by IleIfe2(m): 1:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
Niger means denigrate in latin
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by dalet: 7:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
Nigeria is a wonderful name relating to the Ghir meaning river or Ghiren. Adding the the prefix N makes it some sort of superlative making it River of Rivers. The Ghir i suggest to be a rough gushing river that is probably joined with the Nile in the Area of Ancient Ethiopia(Cush) possibly and goes through West Africa. Infact Ghiren meaning river has Berber influence that is probably a curruption of Ghion meaning River bursting forth and gushing. Guine is also of similar Etymology relating to the etire area that the river runs. I have a portugeuse ancient map of Africa that says Gione for that specific Area and the river. A similar name is Guyana that means many waters or rivers in a country with river known as Berbice probably of same Berber influence . Ghana meaning warior is also of similar etymology to Gihon in relation to dashing,rushing, gushing being rough. Nigher does not necessarily means black of the people but the people in the Ngher area were black. The berbers called them self that. Nigro is portugues where portugues has some berber influence that also has Origin in West Africa that mixed with arabs and got lighter skin tone.

Ghion of Gheren and Guinea and Gione was never lost but distorted coming from the Mountains of the moon going east towards Ashuria and egypt. The Nile is the Tigres based on the book of Jubiless going East from the Mountains and the Gihon going west. There are tributers of the nile going from eithiopia toward the straight of Babel mandel where havilah is that would be of the pishon before the Earthquake connecting Africa to India now under the Indian Ocean. Possibly some extention to the blue nile. Someone also showed me an ancient map of Africa in a video of the Eufrates in west Africa running from the Nile as well but I havent found it my self yet. All connecting close to present day Ethiopia in East Africa. But why not? Thats where scientist is tracing the origin of humans anyway.

So be proud of Nigeria of Ngheren/Nghion of the great biblical river Gihon of root Giah meaning to brake forth where the people in its area has high pigment of dark skin that also called themselves of the name of the river now distorted to mean black.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Adminisher: 8:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
Afam4eva:
I'm sure many of you knew that Nigeria means "Nigeria Area". But what you all may not know is what the word Niger means. I just learned that that word means darkness. That means Nigeria means "Darkness Area". Is that why we've not been able to sort the power problem? Or do you think that the name has had adverse effect on our country?

Nigeria does not mean Niger Area. The thought of the area around the Niger inspired the name all right thanks to Lord Lugard's girl friend.
However the hidden meaning of the name can be got by separating out the 'Niger' from the word. Niger in the bible and the ancient world means 'black'. Then you will find the meaning simply is..." Land of the Black People".
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by dalet: 4:03am On Oct 17, 2014
Adminisher:

Nigeria does not mean Niger Area. The thought of the area around the Niger inspired the name all right thanks to Lord Lugard's girl friend.
However the hidden meaning of the name can be got by separating out the 'Niger' from the word. Niger in the bible and the ancient world means 'black'. Then you will find the meaning simply is..." Land of the Black People".

Nagar (NGR)in Hebrew does not mean black but means to flow or to pour down or run with basically the same consonants that carries meaning. In Greek or latin Niger means black. Igbo is more similar to Hebrew than latin. Latin is more recent and got the meaning black for describing the people in the in the Niger Area of the river thinking that it is describing the dark skin of the people rather than the flowing river. The only similar sounding greek and relater Hebrew word that could be describing the people in the area would be Neker (NKR) that means strange if they were considered strange by the white men but that word has a diferent root consonant that carris meaning. The Greeks or the Romans that spoke Latin were not very familiar with the Hebrew Language or the similar Igbo language which is obvious to be both semitic and applied uncertain meanings to the words.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 8:51am On Nov 26, 2016
Shagaiya04:
The change we desire begins with us here, what name do we think will fit these great African giant, ?
Africa have the largest naija in the world. interpret that#lol
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 9:15am On Nov 26, 2016
Ikengawo:
lol nigerians literally scale the globe looking for reasons to feel inferior.
now we hate our NAME and are praising a country named after us. lol.
it's unfortunate.

Nigeria means Niger Area. Niger is a river, the world means black, which, believe it or not, is not a deragatory word.
a couple of african countries carry the 'area' name

Liberia (liberated area)
algeria (Algers area)
True,, it's not a derogatory word actually
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 11:22am On Nov 26, 2016
tlops:
So, this should be our latest problem.
lolz
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 11:27am On Nov 26, 2016
It's easy to change a name, many have done it so no chest thumping needed.

Our issue is rooted more deeply than just a name.

Our people, the good ones will still be good ones even if their homeland changes name, the bad ones unfortunately will also continue, so what is the purpose.

On the other hand, I say we keep the name, if we become great again, like we were in the 60's/70's then the name won't matter.

Qatar will still be Qatar if it was renamed to Biafra.

My people stop thinking small, let's go after the big changes like our Brothers did in Egypt and Libya.

PS: As it is I'm very disappointed with all the new states. 19 was enough.
True talk
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 11:29am On Nov 26, 2016
tlops:
So, this should be our latest problem.
lmao!!!!
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 11:40am On Nov 26, 2016
kunlekunle:
[[td]b]Well said, the OP has done some good basic academic research but to say our problem in this country is our name is laughable[/b][/td]

that name is the principal factor that has stagnated us.
A region had that name before amalganation, hence their assumption of ownership and superiority over the other regions. This has eaten deep into them that made them belief they own nigeria,

if we change that name then the arrogance is crushed, and nothing to hold on to.
we are new and fresh.
ALL ONE
Atleast to give the country a new phase
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 11:57am On Nov 26, 2016
IbrahimB:
Let's just rename it to Biafra wink
Result of idleness, our Govt should create employment
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by okdaddy393: 12:00pm On Nov 26, 2016
Coefficient:
This is intentional fallacy ooo. Its not abt d name, its abt d people! Let's change our ways!
NO NAME CAN BE AS GOOD AS NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy On Early Morning Parade Along Asokoro (Photos) / Profile Of Justice Eberechi Suzette Nyesom-Wike, Wike's Wife / T.Y Danjuma Worth $1.2bn, Owns International Hotels – Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.