Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply (13404 Views)

FG And Japan Seal N2.17bn Electricity Supply Pact / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown / The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by 9jvirgin(m): 7:16am On Feb 22, 2012
What is this? A rat making noise. Mtscheew!
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by soma042(m): 8:25am On Feb 22, 2012
trust this man nnaji when he says let thire be light, i asure you thire will be light in lagos
could you imagine that i work in a bank located inside the barrack, in enugu but we dont make use of generator.
when ever thires is a blink, our ups will take over.and some times the light dosn't last up to 45 min. befor it will be restored back.
what im trying to say is that, for those of you who are think this old man is making an emty promises you are wrong
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by gfus: 8:39am On Feb 22, 2012
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by sharhim(m): 8:54am On Feb 22, 2012
I cant trust this govt let see light for a week first
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by Onyenna(m): 9:40am On Feb 22, 2012
soma042:

trust this man nnaji when he says let thire be light, i asure you thire will be light in lagos
could you imagine that i work in a bank located inside the barrack, in enugu but we dont make use of generator.
when ever thires is a blink, our ups will take over.and some times the light dosn't last up to 45 min. befor it will be restored back.
what im trying to say is that, for those of you who are think this old  man is making an emty promises you are  wrong

who be this one!!? Na 2day u come 9ja!!?. . . . .Your judgement is based on a particular spot in enugu!! Have u asked other banks how they are faring in terms of power supply!!?. . . Their stories will shock you. . .  People are talking from their own experience(s). . .Where i stay in owerri(aladimma), our power supply is almost 24hrs. . . . . But then i know there are places in the same owerri that hardly see light. . . .We've been hearing of 24/7 power supply since obasanjo's time as presido, yet nothing. . . . . . .O.b.j said we'll have uninterrupted power supply by the year 2010!!,  All we are saying is let them shut the Bleep up and work. . . .They must not always make noise and @ the end fail us and make a fool of themselves. . . . . Period!!!. . . .
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by joinnow: 9:43am On Feb 22, 2012
NA TODAY,

NYAS DEY ALWAYS DEY FOR BACK
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by chyket(m): 10:04am On Feb 22, 2012
For me this is a good move by FG but what I don't know is if they can pull it through the obvious political considerations that may stifle it.
I think somebody somewhere is now thinking like an entrepreneur,if they can improve the electricity supply to Lagos,they will generate enough money to fund their operations nationwide and also improve their efficiency given the fact that they have potentials to generate about 60% percent of their revenue target from Lagos alone.
Minus the book haram challenge in the north,I would have suggested Kano to be the second City to be given the 24 hours directive given the numerous industries and economic activities there.
I strongly believe that if they get Lagos right,a lot of industrial activities will come alive again and more employment will be generated to take off some precious Nigerians currently on the streets homeless.
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by lynxnoon(m): 10:54am On Feb 22, 2012
abegi!!
na today?!! angry angry
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by hildaa(f): 11:24am On Feb 22, 2012
their story never ends
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by Jemibee: 11:42am On Feb 22, 2012
I pray they respect this !!
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by asewa(m): 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2012
Na 2day we dey hear dis order, Abeg deregulate d sector and share it among d politicians cry cry
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by Beaf: 3:16pm On Feb 22, 2012
Lol! I can see that many pipo don't like 24/7 light. Unu be winsh? grin grin grin
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by gabbond: 3:48pm On Feb 22, 2012
GEJ, privatise this sector, so that we can start to think of having steady power, just like telecom sector<there is always network for you to make calls even when there is thunderstorm>
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by mailkeem(m): 7:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
It is a shame!!! the guy cannot even put a date to when this will happen. Obviously there is no plan at all, words are cheap. Y do we keep deceiving ourselves in this country? I feel very pained for this country any time I go out. We need God's intervention.
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by bigdoo: 12:51am On Feb 23, 2012
If any state in Nigeria could enjoy 24 hrs electricity supply, then it gives some hope to other states in the country to believe that their states could be next. It would surely go round to all the states. It is only a matter of time.
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by ciceroji: 3:56pm On Feb 29, 2012
When will people realize that the electricity issue is all about price. If electricity cost N600/Kwh EVERYONE would have electricity in 6 months. EVERYONE. Private companies from all over the world would be fighting to enter Nigeria. Every Nigerian businessman would quit what they were doing and start generating power. Now, I am not saying the price should be that high. I just wanted to point out that the WHOLE problem is not about incompetence. It is about PRICE. We just need to either not regulate the price, or make the price high enough to make the INVESTMENT IRRESISTIBLE to ANY INVESTOR.

The alternative is to wait for some marginally competent government to finally manage to slay corruption and all kinds of bureaucratic issue and provide power.
Re: Lagos To Enjoy 24hrs Electricity Supply by lastpage: 7:56am On Mar 03, 2012
^^^^^^Abegii, we don hear this story over and over again!

If fuel costs X-naira, investors would come and build refinery! - Babangida (1985)
If electricity costs K-Naira, investors would build Power stations allover the place - OBJ (2001)
If Diesel price is deregulated, Investors would run to Nigeria - OBJ (2001)

Ditto Umaru Yar Ardua
Same Story with Jonathan (Subsidy removal)

The mistake y'all making is that INVESTORS DONT JUST LOOK AT PROFIT (MONEY TO BE MADE FROM SALES) ALONE, in making investment decisions!

Some other "decision elements" taken into consideration are:

1.) Political and "polity" Stability
2.) Transparency and Business Ethics (read Corruption!)
3.) Infrastructures in place (Read no electricity, bad roads, poor internet, e.t.c)
4.) Tax Structure (read fraud and multiple Taxation regimes in Nigeria)
and many more!

Even if we increase the price of a KWH of electricity and a liter of PMS to #1,000 each, investors will still not come to Nigeria.
All you will get is Hyper-inflation and a collapsed economy!

BTW: In the UK, electricity does not cost as much as 2.5GBP (about #600).
In the U.S, electricity does not cost $4/KWH as well!
No where in the E.U does anyone pay 3Euros/KWH

But in all these places, electricity is very every stable! So, its not all about inflating the cost.
Take a look at how they got to where they are today.
Govt invests heavily in Power Plants, once it is stable and functioning, Govt THEN SELLS THE BUSINESS TO PRIVATE INVESTORS (but retains oversight functions (at times using a very advocative consumer rights body) to prevent "exploitation" of the citizens.

Remember, some industries like "Power", Military/Weapons Production, e.t.c, have a very "strong bearing" on National Security and must never be completely left in the hands of private investors, to do as they wish. Till today, you will still hear of British Gas, British Electricity Board, e.t.c.
They are semi-private, semi-autonomous business with Govt hand.
Nigerian Govt (as done in the 60's) should build this Power Stations and then contract Private hands to run it profitably (or sell it out-rightly, under a "tight" arrangement). Until we do that, we will still remain a fourth world country by 2099!

Lastpage!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: Labour Party Pledges 16m Votes For PMB / The Battle Buhari Administration Is Winning By Abimbola Adelakun / Buhari Has Mortgaged Nigeria’s Future, Says Don

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.