Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? (4903 Views)

CCT Trial: Saraki Heads To Supreme Court / Buhari's US Visit: His Son, Yusuf, And 32 Others Make His Entourage - ThisDay / Governor Fayose And His Entourage Eating At Iya Kareem's Bukar (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 22, 2012

By SaharaReporters, New York
President Jonathan will on Wednesday morning begin a two-day trip to London to participate in Thursday’s International Conference on Somalia being hosted by Prime Minister David Cameron.

The conference will be attended by heads of governments and representatives from 40 countries, multilateral organizations and Somali authorities to agree on how the international community could step-up efforts to tackle the root causes and effects of the problems in Somalia.

According to Mr. Reuben Abati, the president’s spokesman, Mr. Jonathan will be accompanied on the visit by the First Lady, Mrs. Patience Jonathan; the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Olugbenga Ashiru; and the National Security Adviser, Gen. Andrew Azazi.

Mr. Jonathan, who will return to Nigeria on Friday morning, will also hold bilateral talks with Mr. Cameron before his return.

Nigerians who may be pleased about what appears to be Jonathan’s considerably slimmed-down entourage may be interested to know that he and 47 other Nigerians obtained United Kingdom visas late last week.

Quoting State House Abuja sources, Japhet Omojuwa of Omojuwa.com, said that 43 of the visa applications were filed on February 16.  The following day, State House sent yet another five passports to the High Commission at about noon.  Those five visa requests were supposedly for pilots, but the forms accompanying them contained no details whatsoever.

It is unclear why the visas were being rushed at the last minute last week, as the applicants listed their trip as starting on Saturday.  While the President’s form indicated he would be away for five days, the other applicants specified two weeks as their length of stay.

Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati was not on the the visa request lists last week as he was said to possess a current visa, as does several other regular State House travelers. This would mean that the President’s entourage for this trip would in no way be under 50, particularly as the First Lady is involved.

Only last month, Mrs. Jonathan had 23 people apply for visas to travel with her to the United Kingdom on a tour of Europe. She had the same number of hangers-on when she applied for and got a 10 year UK visa for herself just a week after last year’s Inauguration in May.

Late in January, when Mr. Jonathan travelled to Ethiopia for the 18th African Union Summit, his 25-person delegation was smaller than his wife’s, which contained 32 people.  Although our report was contested by Mr. Abati, who promised to supply the official list to demonstrate we were wrong, he has yet to do so. 

It was only two weeks before that trip that Mr. Jonathan, facing mass national rallies in response to his abrupt hiking of the price of petrol, pledged to substantially reduce the large size of his travel parties.  At the Commonwealth Summit in Australia in December 2011, his entourage was 200.

Nigerians are worried that Mr. Jonathan’s travel patterns have continued to be the same despite his promises, while his behavior has followed the old patterns.

“What if he was not desperate to cut waste?” one angry writer asked today.

“Would this list be as large as the Australian over-200 delegation? And since the President did not travel as stated on Saturday to the UK, could it be that the visas had simply been [obtained] just for the 47 people to make their visa request easier for them?”

Another analyst told SaharaReporters, “We all know that the leopard does not change his spots.  The crowd of entrenched estacode hunters and feasters on the national treasury from the PDP has already gathered and there is no sign that Jonathan is man enough to disperse them.”

As we prepared this story, it was learned that 12 senior government officials were already airborne on a flight to the UK for the visit, most of them in First Class and a few others in Business Class aboard British Airways.  A First Class Abuja-London return ticket on BA, according to its website, costs nearly $10,000 per person.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/president-jonathan-heads-uk-meeting-somalia-his-delegation-over-50
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Demdem(m): 9:08am On Feb 22, 2012
All these people and waste because of somalia. Wasteful govt.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by jamace(m): 9:10am On Feb 22, 2012
OMG! shocked angry sad
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 22, 2012
Demdem:

All these people and waste because of somalia. Wasteful govt.

Especially coming at a time when non-existent palliatives have been zapped, "insensitive" and "uncaring" should also be considered suitable qualifiers angry
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 22, 2012
More money will be spent ☺ƞ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ UK trip than will actually be sent to Somalia in Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ end.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by blacksta(m): 10:06am On Feb 22, 2012
haaaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaa phocked up country
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by moderattor: 10:19am On Feb 22, 2012
Nigeria is not the only country in attendance.
So why the noise?
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by lexsals4real(m): 10:21am On Feb 22, 2012
This shows that our gov't are not ready to change, may God save us,
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by kokoA(m): 10:27am On Feb 22, 2012
And some people are saying only funds saved form fuel subsidy can be used to develope infrastructures? Why not save funds from reducing the cost of travels in government? What the heck has Nigeria got to contribute to ending violence in Somalia when we are gradually turning into 'somalia' by the day. undecided
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by thehunted(m): 10:30am On Feb 22, 2012
una don start again. some peole would manufacture some false news and all ya would believe them.pathetic.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by scopusng(m): 10:34am On Feb 22, 2012
Loading . . . . . . .

I will be right back.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Basics007: 10:39am On Feb 22, 2012
Waitin for Abati to put another spin on this one
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by ASOROCKb(m): 10:45am On Feb 22, 2012
Hmmmnn jona
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Beaf: 10:51am On Feb 22, 2012
Sahara Reporters is best known for lies and fake news these days. embarassed

[size=14pt]The fake pic below too is courtesy Sahara Reporters[/size]. Shame. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
http://saharareporters.com/photo/photonews-jonathans-declaration-when-jonathan-women-met-goodluck-men

www.nairaland.com/attachments/324341_SaharaReportersFakePicture_jpg69a0b6e4ad1c8831fa731bd73bb022d2
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by GWslim(f): 10:54am On Feb 22, 2012
Somalia is in this mess becos they promote religious than the right of their people.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by biachwest: 10:56am On Feb 22, 2012
Nigerians complains a lot.
The presidents has to attend and execute his external jobs with his aids. Just like any other president in the world.
Somalia issue is our problem. It is a national security issues, and the president should attend such meetings
with  aids from branch of govt that relate to that, like national security  boss and co that requires to exchange and share information and   with British  and that of the rest of the countries aids that are in attendance.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by faithin9ja: 10:58am On Feb 22, 2012
Either this story is a lie or the stealing is worse than we think, why? So of the 50 delegates none of them had visa previously, or do you need a special visa to attend conferences? But Madame Patience has a 10 year visa according to the report.

Surely there must be more than 50 delegates because some will already have visas, such as ministers and perm secs who definitely already have visas, so please add those to the 50 first timers.

So I would imagine 50 plus at least 15 others all at first class and business class tickets, cost of flights alone $5 million, hotels at $500 a night $180,000 for three nights. We have not mentioned estacode.

Can this be true?
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by gregg2: 11:26am On Feb 22, 2012
But seriously, can only GEJ, his wife, Ashiru and Azazi travel alone to UK for a function?

Let us even come down to state level.
Can Fashola, his wife and two commisioners travel alone to a function in Calabar?

It is not possible. There are a lot of activities that go on behind the scene - Media Assistants,
Pilots, domestic aides, security aides etc have got to travel also.
I have no doubts those are the onse Sahara reporters is refering to as having acquired visas.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by naja2: 11:45am On Feb 22, 2012
Guys wake up!!! first i can bet my bum that this delegation will not be less than 250 persons, from my state house operations experience once its a trip to UK EVERYBODY and i mean it EVERYBODY including aso rock cook will want to attend. Foreign affairs delegation, Nepad delegation, special adviser to the president on africa matters, all security details, media sponsored by the presidency , then i hope u know that most times the president travels he is accompanied by some state govs and their entourage as well, pls Our own amiable first lady and her entourage are also going. I can bet anything that the 47 are just those traveling for the first time to the UK in the delegation, most govt officials /big men in Nigeria have mostly btw 2yr-10yrs UK visa,. The delegation at best is nothing less than 220 and pls and pls i am speaking as someone who know "a bit" of what is going on.
In any case why this discussion? is any body in doubt about the profligate lifestyle of this govt? This govt is a waster and a waste in its self.
Austerity measures for the citizens yet SINATORS are getting delivery of their $100,000 jeeps.
Don't be deceived Nothing good can ever come out of a totally corrupt govt its just a vicious circle of arrested development.   To those who say Somalia is our business of course it is, but  when the German chancellor visited Nigeria how many people came with her?  she had less than 15 people on her delegation from germany including her security, that is why you have embassies in those countries, so that they can attend to the presidents need when he comes to that country . Shikena!!
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by MrGlobe(m): 11:49am On Feb 22, 2012
, And the mess of this administration continues. GEJ has never really put out his plan for Nigeria. He only cares about his comfort and that of his million aides. Nigeria is doomed under this administration of waste. Greatest corrupt activities of all time
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Demdem(m): 11:53am On Feb 22, 2012
naja2:

Guys wake up!!! first i can bet my bum that this delegation will not be less than 250 persons, from my state house operations experience once its a trip to UK EVERYBODY and i mean it EVERYBODY including aso rock cook will want to attend. Foreign affairs delegation, Nepad delegation, special adviser to the president on africa matters, all security details, media sponsored by the presidency , then i hope u know that most times the president travels he is accompanied by some state govs and their entourage as well, pls Our own amiable first lady and her entourage are also going. I can bet anything that the 47 are just those traveling for the first time to the UK in the delegation, most govt officials /big men in Nigeria have mostly btw 2yr-10yrs UK visa,. The delegation at best is nothing less than 220 and pls and pls i am speaking as someone who know "a bit" of what is going on.
In any case why this discussion? is any body in doubt about the profligate lifestyle of this govt? This govt is a waster and a waste in its self.
Austerity measures for the citizens yet SINATORS are getting delivery of their $100,000 jeeps.
Don't be deceived Nothing good can ever come out of a totally corrupt govt its just a vicious circle of arrested development.   To those who say Somalia is our business of course it is, but  when the German chancellor visited Nigeria how many people came with her?  she had less than 15 people on her delegation from germany including her security, that is why you have embassies in those countries, so that they can attend to the presidents need when he comes to that country . Shikena!!

Thank u very much. I expect some iidiots on this thread should kinldly shut it if at all they have any sort of honour in them.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by coded777: 11:55am On Feb 22, 2012
Safe journey
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:00pm On Feb 22, 2012
nonsense news. . . .

Does the President need a Visa to travel?! undecided
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Yeske2(m): 12:01pm On Feb 22, 2012
Again?
**Falls from Iroko tree**
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by stepo707: 12:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
Too much money in Nigeria.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by mufc009(m): 12:06pm On Feb 22, 2012
make the plane crash self grin grin grin
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by eghost247(m): 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2012
ok now
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2012
we all know that monkeys travel with large entourage. smh for the poor country called Nigeria.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by iykak47: 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2012
mufc009:

Would that solve all your problems?
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by kokoA(m): 12:54pm On Feb 22, 2012
mufc009:

That is what I will call ''from frying pan to fire'' because we will be left with sambo o!
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by MrGlobe(m): 1:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
^
wait, which sambo? The guy na still VP? Oboy see ghost worker o. LoL. Buy yeah make the plane crash abeg. Sambo go dey there too.
Re: Gej Heads To Uk For Summit On Somalia With 50 Strong entourage? by johnkent(m): 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2012
Demdem:

Thank u very much. I expect some iidiots on this thread should kinldly shut it if at all they have any sort of honour in them.
naja2:

Don't be deceived Nothing good can ever come out of a totally corrupt govt its just a vicious circle of arrested development.   To those who say Somalia is our business of course it is, but when the German chancellor visited Nigeria how many people came with her?  she had less than 15 people on her delegation from germany including her security, that is why you have embassies in those countries, so that they can attend to the presidents need when he comes to that country . Shikena!![/b][/b]

She probably couldn't find anyone willing to go to Nigeria with her. J/K

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Flags Off Lagos Sea Food Festival / Youngest Minister Makes Buhari's Ministerial List / Nnamdi Kanu Speaks At Last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.