Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji (2271 Views)

Buhari: I'm In Dilemma Over Power Privatisation / Power Privatisation: 18 -hour Uninterrupted Power Supply In Lagos Now / FG Signs Agreements With Power Privatisation Bid Winners (2) (3) (4)

Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by soma042(m): 8:05am On Feb 23, 2012
Power privatisation to be completed Q3 – Nnaji
On February 23, 2012 · In News 3:29 amTweet
By Clara Nwachukwu
ABUJA — The ongoing privatisation of the power sector, which has been on the table of the Bureau of Public Entreprises, BPE, for more than a decade, will be completed by the end of the third quarter, Minister of Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, has said.

Nnaji, who spoke on the state of the nation’s power sector at the ongoing Nigeria Oil and Gas, NOG, international conference and exhibitions, in Abuja, also said, yesterday, that the sale of Federal Government’s assets in the sector might be delayed for another two months due to outstanding issues.

He, however, insisted that the exercise would be completed early in the fourth quarter, saying: “The privatisation programme is going on very well, we are experiencing a few delays … so we will have two months or so delay in the process, which we expect to be completed by the end of the third quarter, or at the latest, the beginning of the fourth quarter.”

The minister, responding on the row with labour over some outstanding issues, which have contributed in delaying the process, noted that while the existing workers would not be fired immediately, “because every power facility needs experienced hands,” they will, however, be placed under temporary employments for the period of the transition.

He said: “The workers will be paid off and given temporary employment for a period of six to nine months during the transition period, so that the new owners will have the liberty to appoint their own workers. So, those who prove themselves will be given permanent employment by the new investors.”

With regard to criticisms that the power sector has not grown as appreciably as expected in view of the enormous money pumped into it since the return of democracy in Nigeria, Nnaji said under the current administration, the sector was doing as much as it could to grow it.

According to him, “it is on record that generation capacity has not grown up to 4000mega watts since the history of Nigeria, and we have achieved it.

“However, gas has remained a major impediment because we are told that it takes time to gather gas and develop the necessary infrastructure, so we need serious investments in gas.”

He, however, anticipates that most of the gas issues will be resolved by March or April at the most as issues with transmission and gas supply are being pursued at the executive level vigorously.

He said the sector has received a lot of expressions of interest even from unexpected quarters because of the ongoing reforms in the industry, adding that the submission of bids is expected to end by July.

Admitting to the gas issues, Executive Director, Gas Development, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Dr. David Ige, said year 2012 will be the toughest for the power industry in terms of gas supply. “2012 will be one of the toughest periods in the power sector in terms of gas to power.”

Ige, who spoke on the gas development in Nigeria, in reference to the Gas Master Plan, and the gas to power policy, said the Federal Government has adopted a short, medium and long term approaches to deal with the gas supply issues over the next four years, ending by 2015.

He said that part of the plan is to reinforce excessive gas supply from the Eastern network, and taken to the western region that is in short supply to close up shortages to the power plants.

He estimated that about 1,500MW of power is stranded on account of gas suppy shortages, adding that in the short term, government planned to stabilize supply from the existing facilities within the next four weeks.

In the medium term, he said government planned to expedite actions on the East west gas pipeline, which he hoped would be completed by 2013. While in the long term, by 2015 and beyond, as more gas fields come on stream, government would have “created a platform for a market-led unhindered power growth,” given that many gas infrastructure contracts have been awarded to facilitate set objectives.

In view of the scepticism over the workability of the Gas Master Plan, Ige asserted, “We have a credible and implementable plan, which will become obvious over time.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/power-privatisation-to-be-completed-q3-nnaji/
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by chrishenzo: 9:53am On Feb 23, 2012
I don't know about you but I am completely tired of this electricity game. Every year the same thing. Past and present governments has use it as their campaign. But all we see is soldier come soldier go, barack remain. Until we get men who know the meaning of patriotic and the importance of electricity in this modern economy, then we can bring talk to the table. All these talks are Tales by moonlight
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by soma042(m): 10:06am On Feb 23, 2012
Until we get men who know the meaning of patriotic and the importance of electricity in this modern economy

i got u, but i think this nnaji is trying his best .
u can neva espect the transformation one day .
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by Iolo(m): 10:27am On Feb 23, 2012
Good news. The Minister is trying his best. Nigerians should lend their support by not vandalizing the little gas pipelines we have.
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by Lasinoh: 10:36am On Feb 23, 2012
Story-story?
STOOOOORY!!! kiss
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by Nonybb: 10:38am On Feb 23, 2012
chrishenzo:

I don't know about you but I am completely tired of this electricity game. Every year the same thing. Past and present governments has use it as their campaign. But all we see is soldier come soldier go, barack remain. Until we get men who know the meaning of patriotic and the importance of electricity in this modern economy, then we can bring talk to the table. All these talks are Tales by moonlight
chrishenzo i dont knw about u too but i knw dat power supply hv increased tremendously beware imagination in my area
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by vykte(m): 11:16am On Feb 23, 2012
Nonybb:

chrishenzo i dont knw about u too but i knw dat power supply hv increased tremendously beware imagination in my area
Nonybb:

, gbagaun of d first order
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by joelala(m): 12:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
in my honest opinion, i think importation of generators should first be place on hold or stopped completely if power must be a reality in nigeria. you'll be shocked at the occupants of board of directors and shareholders in some big generator coys like mekano, cat and the likes, top gvt officials, ex- generals and top shots in the society. embarassed
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by tunde1200(m): 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2012
shameless human called themselves politician in nija. every year same story go SA, ghana, egypt, even niger get steady light.
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by Cholls(m): 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2022
Nonybb:
My brother in your room
Re: Power Privatisation To Be Completed Q3 – Nnaji by Parachoko: 10:45pm On Apr 08, 2022
Thank God I don get my Pali

Nah to Japa this year or early next year remain like this

Nigeria fit no better as I dey look am.

Reno Omokri Sets Record For Most Organically Retweeted Tweet / A Nairalanders fight against corruption in oau / Obasanjo Agrees To Campaign For Jonathan After Five Governors Prostrate And Beg