Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? (1410 Views)

Prof Eric Arubayi Stop This Fraud Now. / Ansiec: Is This Fraud Or What? / Rise Up Nigerians And Fight This Corrupt Government - Ifeoma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 5:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
Hello Guys, seriously, I don't even know where to start explaining this matter/case from. My Engineer who was building doing my POP work introduced a furniture man to me, to help me build my kitchen carbinet and 4 sets of wardrobes. Totalling 280,000(two hundered and eighty thousand naira). The Engineer AKA Mr. Peter stood as a garantor for the furniture guy because I told him I can't trust someone just like that. He assured me that he has known him for year(over 5years to be presides). And that I can pay him that he will do and finish up my Job. So, because I knew the Engineer's house, I thought I could trust him. But after paying the furniture a total of 185,000(one hundred and eighty five thousand) which the Engineer stood as an withness to, because he knew he was standing as a surety on behalf of the furniture man. We left his place and I was happy to because he promised me that the man can deliver a very good job. I also gave him 2,000 naira for make help himself with Recarge cards for his stress. Meanwhile, I mis-calculated. Instead of 280,000 naira, I calculated 380,000.00.

Then about a week later, the furniture man AKA Mr. Julius, came to me demanding for another money, to the tune of 100,000(hundred thousand naira), but before I could pay him, I called his surety, Mr. Peter and he confirmed that I can pay him the money. That he can't run away and all that, that I shouldn't worry! So i gave him the 100,000 naira. But two days, later , I realized there was a mistake and called the furniture man that there was a mis-calculation(Which I was sure he knew about from the unset - That was why he was rushing me to pay him the 100,000 naira. And also wanted to collect the difference ASAP. I also called his surety and informed him. But he said no problem he will talk to him). So in total he has collect 285,000 naira from me. Also, he promised to deliver the Job in 3 weeks, but after 3 months he was still on the JOB with only 60% of the JOB completed. I had to call him non-stop, morning till night, day by day to come and do the work but to no avail. Till one day he ask a man working for me to ask me to loan him money to finish up the job. After paying him upfront!!!

That I was upset, is an understatement. I almost cried. because I felt like a fool. But as luck could have it, the so called Engineer has a balance of 125,000 with me, for the screeding work he did for me, that I was suppose to pay him for. Because I couldn't wait any longer for the furniture guy he guaranteed me with and because it was obviouse that he can finish the JOB, because he asked me to loan him money after doing jus 60% of the total work in 3months instead of 3 weeks, after getting 100% payment in advance and also an extra payment of 5,000, I had to use the money to get another furniture to finish up the job. Now today, the man came with police to arrest me that I should pay him his money(the Engineer), but I told them I don't have any money, that the money I have is with the furniture man he brought. That the furniture man should refund me back my money, because I don't have anymoney with me at the moment, because I'm kind of broke.

So the police invited the Furniture man to the station. Under duress, I was forced by the police to write and under-take that I will pay the Engineer his money, which is 125,000.00 or "rot in cell"
I had no choice to to sign one. Because they told me that after I do that, I can then make an official report to arrect the furniture man to pay up. But as I am writting this now, it seems I will be the looser here. Because the furniture man was released after I left the stating, not before I paid them 4,000 naira for bailing myself.

So guys I need your help on what to do. Please forgive any errors in my writting as I can't think straight now!!!
Guys I need your support. The engineer, and Mr. Julius I think they all want to dupe me. Even the police have
ganged up with them against me - Please HELP !!! I don't have any money to pay! Except for the one with the furniture man!!!
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 5:55pm On Feb 23, 2012
I know its too long!!!

In summary, My Engineer, brought me a furniture man to work for me,
because I don't know the man, my Engineer agreed to stand as a surety for him.
after paying the man 285,000 instead of 280,000(paid him extra by miscalculation, and he agreed).
He did jus 60% of the work and refused to finish the remaining.
He promised to finish the work in 3 weeks, but after 3months he has done only 60% of the work.
that was after I paid him 100% payment in advance on two occassion. which the Engineer said I should do.
The furniture man said I shouls still loan him money to finish up my work. That was when I knew has has spend
the whole of the money!!!

Now the Engineer have 125,000 with me, because I can't wait anylonger for the job, I use the money Engineer have with me
to finish up the job. Now engineer wan'ts his money, but now Engineer wants back him money. He arrested me, now I'm asking
the furniture man to refund me so I can refund to his surety. Please help, because the police forced me to sign an understanking
that I will pay the money. After I did that, they latter released the furniture man to go with my money. How do I get my money back?
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
the very first mistake came from u! How can u over pay someone by error and want to purnish anoda man ''engineer'' for ur mistake? Even if he stood for d furniture guy, did he ask u to over pay d furniture man? Well,d deed has bn done. Right now u shud get a gud lawyer and get ready to spend more cash on dis case all because of one silly mistake by u! Or leave d matter and forge ahead. My lil piece of opinion.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 6:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
Thank you!!!! But like I said, I never paid him over!
I paid him the money he demanded for, and the engineer confirmed that
i should pay him because, he was the one who brought me.

My mistake was not broght to reality because I paid 285,000 instead of 280,000.00

and the Engineer stood as a surety for him that I should pay him the money.
now the engineer has money with me, which I've spent to finish the work.
I am just saying because I don't have any money with me again, the furniture
should refund so I can pay engineer!
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Akan(m): 7:29pm On Feb 23, 2012
am not sure how u want us to help you. Are u asking us to contribute and give u N125000.000.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by tolu001: 7:58pm On Feb 23, 2012
You made a mistake right from the beginning by miscalculating, but that not withstanding, you should have swung into action immediately you realized you've overpaid him whilst he has not completed his job even after the expiration of the time frame he promised.

You should have been the first to arrest them both especially if you had a written declaration from the surety, that would have nailed them and the furniture guy would have been forced to complete your job or refund your money. You were too slow to act, and when u acted,u took the wrong decision by trying to use the payment of one who has completed his job to cover for the failed guy; things dont work that way.

Now, just get a good lawyer, arrest the furniture guy and the surety, meanwhile, have in mind u will pay the engineer (surety) his balance, they cant detain them for more than 24hrs, make him (the furniture guy) sign an agreement when he will complete ur work or refund ur balance while the surety remain a witness.

There is lil or nothing you can do for the engineer (surety) since the main guy is not at large.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by executinal(m): 8:11pm On Feb 23, 2012
You caused the whole problem to yourself.
1, You paid your engineer upfront, Do you have any agreement between you and the Mr peter?? If yes, the you can fight him. But if your answer is no, sorry you have no option than to release more money to him to finish it up.
2, How can police Men force you to sign undertaking, and you did just that. Are you a kid?? they only used that avenue to treating you, because the other party have paid them for that. I could have adviced you to pick up a lawyer to fight them, but your stement and agreement is already there and they the police will use it against you. FACT.
3, The POP engineer in question that stand as guarantee to the funiture guy, did you reach agreement with him, that if his friend fail to meet up, he will bear the consiquences. WELL DOCUMENTED?? if yes then you have 100% of them completing your work without futher kobo goin to them.
Once i see your responds, i will now see how to advice you futher.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by chosen04(f): 8:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
You shouldnt have signed the under taking to pay the engineer . . . . . . .After all the Police has no right to detain you more than 24 hours without charging you to court. . . . . . . . . . . . .

I still suggest that you shouldnt pay the engineer his balance until the man he introduced to you delivers his job. . . . . , .

Dont even be intimidated by the Police cos of the signed undertaking. Just keep asking for more time after all nigeria is a banana republic and even signed agreement are never honoured . . . . .Just try and transfer the case to another police commander and fight it from there.

Its a small case so fear not!!!!!
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by omobashua1: 2:05am On Feb 24, 2012
bro,ur engineer must have bribed the police people,wjat u should do is to get the furniture guy arrested,have him sign a surety that he will pay you,make sure u have a copy of it n i honestly hope u have some form of receipt in regard to your initial agreement with him based on the job u had contracted him to do.i will advice you to go to another police station and go straight to the dpo n explain to the man.ofcourse u have to grease his or her hand.That way if trouble should arise from ur quanta with the other station's dpo,ur dpo can always call the other one up.I bet u the engineer must have used his influence to get the capenter out too.Have the carpenter locked up n have them make him sign a surety as well.once u have that documents,make sure u pay ur engineer as little as posible,like say #5,000 every 2 months,stall as much as possible.even though u signed a surety to pay him his money,i am sure their is no stipulation that u have to pay him everything in one shot.Why u stall the engineer on his balance,it gives u enough time to build your case against the carpenter why also reminding both dpo that u r broke as well and that u are waiting for the carpenter to give u your money so you can use that to pay the engineer.this will give u enough time to build ur case n take whatever action u want to take.but most of all i will implore u to go to another nearby police station to make ur own case too.make sure u go 2 d dpo n not some small ones because that one can dissapear n u will be force deal with another one.but once u deal with the head(dpo),the rest of them will have to go by d orders of their boss,u can settle them later too after a job well done.no way no how,you will come out on the losing end but atleast u will recoup about 70% or more of your money.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 7:29am On Feb 24, 2012
executinal:

You caused the whole problem to yourself.
1, You paid your engineer upfront, Do you have any agreement between you and the Mr peter?? If yes, the you can fight him. But if your answer is no, sorry you have no option than to release more money to him to finish it up.
2, How can police Men force you to sign undertaking, and you did just that. Are you a kid?? they only used that avenue to treating you, because the other party have paid them for that. I could have adviced you to pick up a lawyer to fight them, but your stement and agreement is already there and they the police will use it against you. FACT.
3, The POP engineer in question that stand as guarantee to the funiture guy, did you reach agreement with him, that if his friend fail to meet up, he will bear the consiquences. WELL DOCUMENTED?? if yes then you have 100% of them completing your work without futher kobo goin to them.
Once i see your responds, i will now see how to advice you futher.

Thank you very much. You know the way most things are done in Naija, we don't really take documented statements.
But I reached an agreement that he is the one to be responsible for his friends failure, and he agreed.
And yes I miscalculated, but I never paid more than agreed. I paid only 5,000 above.
Thank you very much for your advice Sir, what I will do now is that, I will take the matter to a bigger police station in my area
now. And now my plan is to involve both of them in the deal. That both of them collected the contract from me. Because in a way, that was it.
what your take? Bro!
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 7:36am On Feb 24, 2012
omobashua1:

bro,ur engineer must have bribed the police people,wjat u should do is to get the furniture guy arrested,have him sign a surety that he will pay you,make sure u have a copy of it n i honestly hope u have some form of receipt in regard to your initial agreement with him based on the job u had contracted him to do.i will advice you to go to another police station and go straight to the dpo n explain to the man.ofcourse u have to grease his or her hand.That way if trouble should arise from ur quanta with the other station's dpo,ur dpo can always call the other one up.I bet u the engineer must have used his influence to get the capenter out too.Have the carpenter locked up n have them make him sign a surety as well.once u have that documents,make sure u pay ur engineer as little as posible,like say #5,000 every 2 months,stall as much as possible.even though u signed a surety to pay him his money,i am sure their is no stipulation that u have to pay him everything in one shot.Why u stall the engineer on his balance,it gives u enough time to build your case against the carpenter why also reminding both dpo that u r broke as well and that u are waiting for the carpenter to give u your money so you can use that to pay the engineer.this will give u enough time to build ur case n take whatever action u want to take.but most of all i will implore u to go to another nearby police station to make ur own case too.make sure u go 2 d dpo n not some small ones because that one can dissapear n u will be force deal with another one.but once u deal with the head(dpo),the rest of them will have to go by d orders of their boss,u can settle them later too after a job well done.no way no how,you will come out on the losing end but atleast u will recoup about 70% or more of your money.
chosen04:

You shouldnt have signed the under taking to pay the engineer . . . . . . .After all the Police has no right to detain you more than 24 hours without charging you to court. . . . . . . . . . . . .

I still suggest that you shouldnt pay the engineer his balance until the man he introduced to you delivers his job. . . . . , .

Dont even be intimidated by the Police cos of the signed undertaking. Just keep asking for more time after all nigeria is a banana republic and even signed agreement are never honoured . . . . .Just try and transfer the case to another police commander and fight it from there.

Its a small case so fear not!!!!!

Broses, I will follow your leads!!!
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Murat: 8:19am On Feb 24, 2012
Sorry bro, I had a similar problem last year but this is what you have to do.
1. Is the police station u were detained a command or an outpost? If an out post just go straight to a higher police station like panti yaba, when u get there meet any top ranking police officer from ASP and above, explain d whole situation( don't add lies). Then tell him that you want the case moved from the station( where you were detained) to panti, they will charge you between 15-25k, you will file a petition which will be signed by the commissioner of police( once u have paid, they do everything for u). Then they will send a signal to the police station to bring the files, the engineer and the mr Julius( they are now suspects).

One advice, do not go to that police station again except u are willing to pay the engineer( because u will be detained and charged to court if they know what u are planning). You can call the IPO promising to pay the money while you make arrangements to transfer the case.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by stormm: 8:24am On Feb 24, 2012
@OP,

Undertaking is just a confirmation of willingness to pay and cannot be enforced if you are unable to pay. Get the IPO on your side and turn the table against the fraudsters. Two can play the game cool cool cool.

Most artisans are like.
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by karlmax2: 8:40am On Feb 24, 2012
Go to a police station that has. More power to the one they took Ʊ to if Ʊ knw the area command of ur area I suggest Ʊ go and report the case there try and meet with the DPO of the area command tell him ur story and how they even arrested Ʊ and made Ʊ write undertaking to pay the engineer! Am sure the case would be asked to be brought to the area command were Ʊ have reported and the case would be sorted out in ur favour also knw that Ʊ will wet ground for the dpo . Just report the case to a higher police command to the one they took Ʊ to. Report to the Area command of your area
Re: Please Help How Can I Fight This Fraud? ? ? by Oluwa4Sure: 7:23pm On Feb 24, 2012
Thank you very much Broses!!
Like they said, a problem shared is a problem solved.
I really really appreciate your help!!!!

@Murat, Bros, I hail you ooo!!!
You jus made everything look like rubbing butter on a piece of slice bread!!!!
Thanks Man!!!! Thanks GOD!!!!!!
Oluwa4Sure!!!!

(1) (Reply)

10 Political Parties Battle For Edo Governorship Seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / What Does A Corrupt Government Mean : Nigeria's Hypocrisy / Nigerian Invents Power-generating Machine, Makes Africa’s First Local Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.