Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

What's The Purpose Of A Committee? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Purpose Of A Committee? (2574 Views)

Buhari Inauguration Committee: The "Credible" Members / Buhari First Presidential Act: Set Up A Committee! / GEJ Sets Up A Committee To Look Into American Government After Boston Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 24, 2012
On a regular basis we are inundated with news of government, especially at the federal level, setting up committees anytime it intends to address national issues. From when I first read a newspaper as a kid, I have heard about successive governments set up ad hoc committees who consume considerable resources in the course of their activities and then come up with recommendations, only for these recommendations to wind up tucked away in some shelf, gathering dust.

Having this in mind, I want to ask the house the following questions. One, what is the purpose or relevance of a committee, specifically in the Nigerian context? Two, is it true that setting up a committee is only a red herring, in other words it has only been a ploy routinely employed by successive governments to give the impression that it is trying to address the challenges of the day? And three, can anyone give an example of any committee that has been set up in the past that has come up with excellent recommendations, which were eventually implemented to the letter and was eventually beneficial to the country (or state)?

And please, if you cannot give matured, objective and constructive answers, don't contribute.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 4:35am On Feb 24, 2012
The sole objective of setting up a commitee in nigeria is to fool nigerians, After which another commitee will be asked to review what the first commitee did and make recomendations which the F.G will study so as to come out with a blue print. All na grammer, at the end they dump these reports one conner and move on to set up another commitee for another issue. Its diversionary and fraudulent.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Lasinoh: 4:37am On Feb 24, 2012
To chop money and cover up tracks! kiss
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 4:40am On Feb 24, 2012
byrron:

The sole objective of setting up a commitee in nigeria is to fool nigerians, After which another commitee will be asked to review what the first commitee did and make recomendations which the F.G will study so as to come out with a blue print. All na grammer, at the end they dump these reports one conner and move on to set up another commitee for another issue. Its diversionary and fraudulent.

If only it ended there. The FG would be sure to set up a sub-committee to review the blueprint produced by the previous committee. the sub-committee would then produce a white paper which would be considered by an adhoc commission  which then presents its findings in the form of a communique to the FG. The FG will then set up a probe panel to discuss the findings of the communique. Rinse repeat.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Jisunpack: 4:49am On Feb 24, 2012
^
Laugh don kill me finish for here. Choi! grin grin
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 4:57am On Feb 24, 2012
Know Your Nigerian Political Dictionary,
Senate: Presidential rubber stamp for unpopular laws and illegal constitutional ammendments.

Babacracy: Unitary system of Governnment headed by a powerful life President. Minimum age of 60 required. See also, Nigerian "democracy".

Chief: Traditional title sold by traditional rulers to the highest bidder.

Honorary degree: A "doctorate" degree confered on an individual by a higher Institution primarily as a form of political patronage.

Privatisation: Sale of public property to members of a countries' ruling political party and other sycophants.

BPE: Bureau of Private Enrichment. See also, Privatisation.

Runway: Recreation park for cattle

Democracy defenders: People who "oppose" the ruling party on the basis of their exclusion from revenue "sharing."

No-go-area: The real problem with a country that are not supposed to be discussed while trivial matters are being discussed. See also, Federalism, resource control, e.t.c

Court order: Worthless piece of paper that is not binding on the Presidential and Legislative arms of government.

Sacred cows: Members of the ruling party of a nation.

Universities: Nigerian synonym for glorified secondary schools.

Probe panel: Job opportunity for unemployed political hangers-on. See also, constitutional reform committee, Oputa panel e.t.c

Thou shalt not reproduce without permission. thanks.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Jakumo(m): 6:22am On Feb 24, 2012
byrron:

The sole objective of setting up a committee in Nigeria is to fool Nigerians, After which another committee will be asked to review what the first committee did and make recommendations which the F.G will study so as to come out with a blue print. All na grammer, at the end they dump these reports one conner and move on to set up another commitee for another issue. Its diversionary and fraudulent.

This is a good observation, to which I can only add the corollary function of committees, as set up by arms of the Nigerian government, which is to establish the IMMEDIATE and REMOTE causes of the phenomena being investigated by the committee, after which there must be a process of MAPPING OUT the MODALITIES towards the attainment of WHITE PAPER RESOLUTIONS which MUST, be definition, NEVER see the light of day, so as not to upset the STAKEHOLDERS, whoever the phuck they are.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by gulfer: 7:15am On Feb 24, 2012
A committee is a group of people which take months to do what one good man can do in
an hour.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 24, 2012
davidylan :
Quote from: byrron on Today at 04:35:07 AM
The sole objective of setting up a commitee in nigeria is to fool nigerians, After which another commitee will be asked to review what the first commitee did and make recomendations which the F.G will study so as to come out with a blue print. All na grammer, at the end they dump these reports one connerand move on to set up another commitee for another issue. Its diversionary and fraudulent.
If only it ended there. The FG would be sure to set up a sub-committee to review the blueprint produced by the previous committee. the sub-committee would then produce a white paper which would be considered by an adhoc commission which then presents its findings in the formof a communique to the FG. The FG will then set up a probe panel to discuss the findings of the communique. Rinse repeat. I done die with laffter.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 24, 2012
HNosegbe:

On a regular basis we are inundated with news of government, especially at the federal level, setting up committees anytime it intends to address national issues. From when I first read a newspaper as a kid, I have heard about successive governments set up ad hoc committees who consume considerable resources in the course of their activities and then come up with recommendations, only for these recommendations to wind up tucked away in some shelf, gathering dust.

Having this in mind, I want to ask the house the following questions. One, what is the purpose or relevance of a committee, specifically in the Nigerian context? Two, is it true that setting up a committee is only a red herring, in other words it has only been a ploy routinely employed by successive governments to give the impression that it is trying to address the challenges of the day? And three, can anyone give an example of any committee that has been set up in the past that has come up with excellent recommendations, which were eventually implemented to the letter and was eventually beneficial to the country (or state)?

[s]And please, if you cannot give matured, objective and constructive answers, don't contribute.
[/s]

That is uncalled for !
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 24, 2012
~Bluetooth:

That is uncalled for !

Trust me, Bluetooth, it is totally called for. I'm sure you have seen very good threads in this section derailed by some posters who can only resort to needless name-calling and vindictive vituperations in order to prove their point (whatever it may be). I don't want this thread to degenerate to such levels, hence the advance warning.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by kosovo(m): 8:18am On Feb 24, 2012
Given the masman and political fantamousbouya, you wouldn't need to decipher that a committee only serves as an iter itineris to further the looting mechanism of political furs.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 24, 2012
davidylan:

If only it ended there. The FG would be sure to set up a sub-committee to review the blueprint produced by the previous committee. the sub-committee would then produce a white paper which would be considered by an adhoc commission  which then presents its findings in the form of a communique to the FG. The FG will then set up a probe panel to discuss the findings of the communique. Rinse repeat.

davidylan:

Know Your Nigerian Political Dictionary,
Senate: Presidential rubber stamp for unpopular laws and illegal constitutional ammendments.

Babacracy: Unitary system of Governnment headed by a powerful life President. Minimum age of 60 required. See also, Nigerian "democracy".

Chief: Traditional title sold by traditional rulers to the highest bidder.

Honorary degree: A "doctorate" degree confered on an individual by a higher Institution primarily as a form of political patronage.

Privatisation: Sale of public property to members of a countries' ruling political party and other sycophants.

BPE: Bureau of Private Enrichment. See also, Privatisation.

Runway: Recreation park for cattle

Democracy defenders: People who "oppose" the ruling party on the basis of their exclusion from revenue "sharing."

No-go-area: The real problem with a country that are not supposed to be discussed while trivial matters are being discussed. See also, Federalism, resource control, e.t.c

Court order: Worthless piece of paper that is not binding on the Presidential and Legislative arms of government.

Sacred cows: Members of the ruling party of a nation.

Universities: Nigerian synonym for glorified secondary schools.

Probe panel: Job opportunity for unemployed political hangers-on. See also, constitutional reform committee, Oputa panel e.t.c

Thou shalt not reproduce without permission. thanks.

davidylan, you funny die. Chai!!! I think you should publish that dictionary, its bound to sell like hot cake. grin cheesy

But seriously, is it that there is no advantage whatsoever to setting up committees? Segun Adeniyi in his book, "Power, Politics and Death", talked about a committee that produced the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB), which has been hailed as a sound policy document to regulate the oil sector. When the bill is eventually passed, can it be said that this committee has been beneficial to the country? Let's hear someone speak "in favour of the motion" so that we can weigh the pros and cons.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 24, 2012
kosovo:

Given the masman and political fantamousbouya, you wouldn't need to decipher that a committee only serves as an iter itineris to further the looting mechanism of political furs.

And what do these mean in English?
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 24, 2012
Now I heard the latest one this morning: A committee for the eradication of Lassa Fever.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Jakumo(m): 9:54am On Feb 24, 2012
It is rumoured that a good many well-connected Nigerians from the Looting Class make comfortable livings as professional committee Chairmen and Distinguished Members, who sit on panels of enquiry in methodical sequence, living high on the hog on the state bankroll as they carouse Europe's fleshpots on "Fact Finding Missions", before publishing the fabled White Paper, while preparing for the next freebie.

With all this in mind, I will take this opportunity to remind any Nigerian government officials reading this topic that as a devoted connoisseur of wild women, wine and song who NEVER steals the soap from hotel bathrooms, I am eminently qualified for nomination to chair committees and panels of investigation, just as I am ready to claim GENEROUS non-refundable travel expense subsidies for junkets both real and imaginary. Thank you for considering my application.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by muyoto: 11:17am On Feb 24, 2012
As I understand, a committee is usually composed of people whose expertise in a particular field will come in handy when government is faced with a situation. its not necessarily a bad thing. the problem has almost always been with implementation.

Indeed some committees in the past have come up with truly laudable proposals only to have buried by the government. Take, for instance, the Danjuma commitees' recommendation on the need to prune down the size of government as a way of checking our ever ballooning recurrent costs.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 24, 2012
@ Muyoto well said, but what do you think is the primary motivating factor for setting up committees in Nigeria? A true search for solutions, or just "more jobs for the boys"?
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by muyoto: 12:38pm On Feb 24, 2012
^^ a combination of both I suppose. it could be used as delay tactics; to give an impression that the situation is being addressed when all govt interested in is to delay long enough until Nigerians become sick of the whole thing.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by hercules07: 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2012
Did you guys not watch Yes Minister? The FG and other levels of government set up committees to waste fund and time, they know the reports will not be used anyway, only few committees recommendations are used.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by reubeno(m): 1:47pm On Feb 24, 2012
I think whenever there's  a committee to be form, a particular body charge with the original responsibility has failled instead of  heads to roll govt hurriedly fix a committee to do there work, all ds na signs of fail state sha,
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by hrhobi1(m): 5:24pm On Feb 24, 2012
ok now we know the truth, they are cheats liars and criminals, what next?? i need to know
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by fred2265: 7:29pm On Feb 24, 2012
A committee is set up to create work and give the impression that something is being done. It is usually appointed with people who are owed favours or are family or friends, and the salaries and expenses are generous. Often a committee will be set up to ensure something gets buried in endless bureaucracy.
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ Fred this appears to be the case, sadly. But what can be done about it? Is it a stand-alone problem or is it just a reflection of a larger societal malaise?
Re: What's The Purpose Of A Committee? by lawani: 4:48pm On Sep 02, 2023
Two heads are always better than one and the report of a committee will always be more reliable than that of a single person. No matter who you are or how wise you are, submit yourself to be peer reviewed by a committee because anybody can run mad anytime

(1) (Reply)

Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission / Anambra State Has 90 Percent Good Motorable Road Network- APC / APGA Guber candidate In Katsina Displays Posters With GMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.