Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4441683 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SolidMoney: 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2014
Seun:
Pls ask for this on a new thread since this thread is for discussing tbills.
@ Seun,pardon my derailment.Someone mentioned money market and mutual fund.I have been getting emails from a bank about mutual fund but have not had time to visit any of their branches to make enquiry but luckily saw it being mentioned on this thread.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 9:50pm On Jul 29, 2014
coderXO: No investment is risk free.

With respect to this thread, tbills are loans to a govt.

Should the govt fail, you might be holding useless paper.

Investing directly by yourself or (indirectly) via a fund, you bare the same risk. Buying through a fund, you have handed the cash over to a guy ( fund manager) and said "hey" buy for me...

A second level of risk is added by buying via a fund if the fund is poorly managed. The govt of the country didn't fail and is paying its debts, however, the guy (fund) you handed your money is bad in his accounting, management or whatever else.

Having said that, these "guys" (funds) are regulated by the SEC. You would also do your due diligence to hand your money to the more trusted "guys"

Chances are Nigerian govt "won't" do a total collapse in the next 2 years- and Stanbic ( or FBN Capital or InvestmentOne) "will" manage their cash and portfolios properly.

Not totally risk free, but low risk.

Peace.

succinct and jargon free. many thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 9:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
Desanta:
Dear xxxxx
We wish to inform you that your bid for a Treasury Bill of xxxxx with reference number 110140407485 was successful. Full details below 
Ref. Code110140407485
Principal xcxxxx
Rate 9.50%
Tenor91 Days
Bid Date7/24/2014
Maturity Date10/23/2014
Thank you for choosing FirstBank. 

Chei! shocked So gurus in the house do we dump NTBs for now and move to. . . .?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2014
Gurus in d house hv got some issues, its my first time investing in TB with access bank, so am confuse, I need ur help to interpret this breakdown very well pls.

bid date: 24/7/2014
maturity date: 9/10/2014
tenor: 77 days
discount rate(p.a): 9%
amt (face value): 500k
interest amt: 9,493.15
discounted value: 490,506.85
amt at maturity: 500k
bank charge: 131.85

The problem here is that i was made to understand that 9,493.15 is the interest that will be paid to me and its has been paid already to me even before the maturity date. Now i need to know if that's actually correct, because I thought am supposed to be paid more. I choose the 77 days period because of the low interest rate. Pls gurus in the house help clarify this to me.......I knw is not wise posting details here, but i had no choice because nairaland is more accessible to me than anybody that could have cleared me on this issue.

waiting for responses pls.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2014
sunnydayasaba: Gurus in d house hv got some issues, its my first time investing in TB with access bank, so am confuse, I need ur help to interpret this breakdown very well pls.

bid date: 24/7/2014
maturity date: 9/10/2014
tenor: 77 days
discount rate(p.a): 9%
amt (face value): 500k
interest amt: 9,493.15
discounted value: 490,506.85
amt at maturity: 500k
bank charge: 131.85

The problem here is that i was made to understand that 9,493.15 is the interest that will be paid to me and its has been paid already to me even before the maturity date. Now i need to know if that's actually correct, because I thought am supposed to be paid more. I choose the 77 days period because of the low interest rate. Pls gurus in the house help clarify this to me.......I knw is not wise posting details here, but i had no choice because nairaland is more accessible to me than anybody that could have cleared me on this issue.

waiting for responses pls.

No offense but if you had invested 1hour or less to read through the thread, you'd not need to ask any question at all.

Nevertheless, see below for calculation to the best of my understanding.

9% of 500k over 77days investment period sums up to:

9/100 = 0.09
multiplied but 500k = 45,000
The said 45k is supposed to be your interest if you had invested for 365days.
Now divide 45k by 365 to get interest rate per day = 123.287
interest rate per day multiplied by number of days invest for = 123.287*77 = 9493.150
Interest = 9493.150

Am sorry i had to go all elementary on this so you can understand it better.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by azpunpin: 6:28pm On Jul 30, 2014
I need a thorough explanation in calculating the interest amount for 5Million @ 9% Interest rate, I want to know how much exactly I am to receive as interest for 91days maturity.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2014
azpunpin: I need a thorough explanation in calculating the interest amount for 5Million @ 9% Interest rate, I want to know how much exactly I am to receive as interest for 91days maturity.

funny enough . . .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by azpunpin: 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
inze:
funny enough . . .

Not as funny as you think, I was thinking 9% should be the interest rate but after reading the information below which makes me think differently now, which is why I am asking someone to explain better.

inze:
No offense but if you had invested 1hour or less to read through the thread, you'd not need to ask any question at all.
9/100 = 0.09
interest rate per day multiplied by number of days invest for = 123.287*77 = 9493.150
Interest = 9493.150
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 6:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
inze:

9/100 = 0.09
Interest = 9493.150

Alright, Thanks very much, its very clear nw.

But i was told 365 days maturity period the interest rate was different and above 9% so why is that? All the Tenor has different interest rates so i was told.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 6:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
sunnydayasaba:

Alright, Thanks very much, its very clear nw.

But i was told 365 days maturity period the interest rate was different and above 9% so why is that? All the Tenor has different interest rates so i was told.

Yes, they do
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2014
azpunpin:

Not as funny as you think, I was thinking 9% should be the interest rate but after reading the information below which makes me think differently now, which is why I am asking someone to explain better.

Just like i thought too, I was told the interest rate for every investment period was different and the 365 days period was even high.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 7:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
inze:

Yes, they do

Sorry to bother you again,

Now i understand my part very well, But how about the different interest in other tenors?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 7:15pm On Jul 30, 2014
sunnydayasaba:

Sorry to bother you again,

Now i understand my part very well, But how about the different interest in other tenors?

The truth is that, the said 9% you got for 77days was "auctioned" to you from the secondary market (meaning they sold to you from what they bought)

Primary market bidding goes for 91, 182 and 364days respectively.

As for the interest rate, Just like you don't expect a store-owner to sell to you same price as someone who's buying in bulk.

The longer the tenure, the better the rate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:12pm On Jul 30, 2014
Advice: investing 1kobo in treasury bills pls read from page 1 to the current page dont just invest and later run to us to seek advice pls be wise!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:13pm On Jul 30, 2014
inze:

funny enough . . .
lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 7:14am On Jul 31, 2014
princeuk21: lol

My Oga at the top, i hail o
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
inze:

My Oga at the top, i hail o
wink
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 12:33am On Aug 01, 2014
princeuk21: Advice: investing 1kobo in treasury bills pls read from page 1 to the current page dont just invest and later run to us to seek advice pls be wise!

Keep ur so-called advice to urself....Big man that invests 1 Billion....Myopic brain...If u have nothing meaningful to say, jst stay away instead of making a f^^l of urself....Nobody is asking u for any advice, Shove it into ur a$$
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:55am On Aug 01, 2014
wow ! Lwkmd. Thanks man grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 11:13am On Aug 01, 2014
Fighting everywhere, in Israel, in Northern Nigeria...on Nairaland too. Why can't we just discuss Tbills without hurling insults? I don't care about who drew first blood. We all must learn to ignore some things, that's called maturity.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
Bamz: Fighting everywhere, in Israel, in Northern Nigeria...on Nairaland too. Why can't we just discuss Tbills without hurling insults? I don't care about who drew first blood. We all must learn to ignore some things, that's called maturity.
sure smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 5:12am On Aug 02, 2014
sunnydayasaba:

Keep ur so-called advice to urself....Big man that invests 1 Billion....Myopic brain...If u have nothing meaningful to say, jst stay away instead of making a f^^l of urself....Nobody is asking u for any advice, Shove it into ur a$$

But u go school na!

The answers to these elementary questions you are asking are right there on page 1 of this same gaddem thread.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 10:32am On Aug 02, 2014
pappilo:

But u go school na!

The answers to these elementary questions you are asking are right there on page 1 of this same gaddem thread.

Ur jst another gaddem a$$, Why can't u jst pass if u hv nothing meaningful to contribute, I read through d first page and since i couldn't find wat i need, i decided to ask....If i choose to ask same question a million and one times, It's a forum and it should never bother u, Over sabi always want to show they knw it all...Prof, I no go school.....Nairaland is created for only.

Learn to close ur eyes and pass wat was not directed to U!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 10:42am On Aug 02, 2014
Am beginning to think some people on this forum thinks seun created this Forum for them alone, I expect people to act maturely, different people on this forum ask questions because they needed more clarification on issues and if you feel you can't explain better to them, just learn to pass and stop attacking them. Everybody is equal on this forum irrespective of ur age, class...We don't know each other so we should learn to respect each other. I hate hauling insults on people. I asked a question and am glad someone clarified that for since, But some people has been quoting me and insulting themselves not me for not reading from the first page, Am sure this thread is for T.B and as such question relating to T.B must continued to be ask even when addressed previous, except we all want this thread dead.

So i don't understand why some individual will choose to insult people for asking questions on this thread. Please if you don't want to respond to any question, Kindly pass instead of showing how immature and overzealous attitude here.

Everybody should bear in mind that same question can be asked a million and one times here provided it has to do with T.B, So we all should learn to deal with it.

Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by desireoge(f): 12:18pm On Aug 03, 2014
@Sunnydayasaba ur woman dey try o. Can't u take corrections? U'll insult pple n say they're insulting u. Nawa o!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2014
desireoge: @Sunnydayasaba ur woman dey try o. Can't u take corrections? U'll insult pple n say they're insulting u. Nawa o!

Read every comment i replied, people quoting me insulted me first...i hate to insult people. I asked a question that might hv been answered before bcus i was not clear wit it and dis thread is jst to address TB problem.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dagr8(m): 6:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
lol......
@sunnydayasaba...what princeuk is trying to say is that you can get ample knowledge about NTB and answers to your questions,if you can invest "little" time to read from page 1. Is an advice..A good one I believe.
BTW...How is Asaba? smiley

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sunnydayasaba(m): 8:14pm On Aug 03, 2014
dagr8: lol......
@sunnydayasaba...what princeuk is trying to say is that you can get ample knowledge about NTB and answers to your questions,if you can invest "little" time to read from page 1. Is an advice..A good one I believe.
BTW...How is Asaba? smiley

My guy,I see U, Asaba is fine, Am not always like dat, I hate to insult people, But i jst felt insulted that was why i responded that way.

Hp ur gud Boss! My rgrds

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wills03: 6:35am On Aug 05, 2014
May God bless you for this thread, I have traded on this before and I need more Ideas. I heard Interest rate is calculated by 3mths interval so If I place my money for the 1st 365days and the interest rate is say 14.5%, does it mean this rate will be stable for that period or if the interest rate changes it will also affect me. Please explain more on duration of investment and how interest rates are applied. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 8:53am On Aug 06, 2014
Hi house,

Any T.B bidding this week?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gistdutch: 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Pls anybody with today's bidding result ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2014
Gistdutch: Pls anybody with today's bidding result ?

91-day: 10.0000%

182-day: 10.2000%

364-day: 10.3190%

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.