Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4453672 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 5:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
You can't even send money from your domiciliary account to Naira savings account of the same bank.You will have write an instruction to a third party to withdraw from account and save in the order.....Nigeria banking system still need some finishing.....And CBN sometime talk like tyrants as if you don't have right to somethings.....I don't want to bother myself but I am watching....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
angelo82:
You can't even send money from your domiciliary account to Naira savings account of the same bank.You will have write an instruction to a third party to withdraw from account and save in the order.....Nigeria banking system still need some finishing.....And CBN sometime talk like tyrants as if you don't have right to somethings.....I don't want to bother myself but I am watching....

Thats a very risky thing you are doing. You mean, you actually send someone to withdraw from dorm account, change it , then pay into your naira account? Wow.

I use SC, i always give them instruction to pay into my gt or sc naira account. They do that with a telephone call to confirm.
Passing through a third party in this time, oh boi.
After i witness something yrs ago, where a third party was asked to withdraw certain amount of money, and the third party said that thieves snatched his bag as soon as he exited the bank. What will you do to such person. cheesy

The people i could trust with that are either not available to help with it or ...

Confirm from your bank, there should be a way they do that esp if you have a naira account with same bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
Chillisauce:
Does anyone know if this bvn (bank verification no) by CBN will affect instructions online on TB.
I cant seem to get a good response from my bank.

Good morning all

@chillsauce ,am just tryin to make refrence to one of ur past comments on t-bill , i found out that exhange rates is one of the problems one has to put inot consideration when investing in Tbills
Imagine for example loosing like 40k naira on 10,000 dollars when converting back to dollars
The last time i converted naira was 164 , now its 168 or more the naira is struggling
I think its better to leave the money in naira and use it in naija , just my thots
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2014
I didn't do it but I was only telling how stupid Nigerian banks can be.....It happened in January and I had more than $45k in my Dom. account which I saved for personal use and since I didn't use the money for very long time,I was thinking to add most of it to my Naira account so as to increase my Fixed Income investment.......As at that time,I was using an account officer for most of my transactions and she said is not possible to transfer money from dom. to savings account....I also asked if I could authorize their management,she said no but the way she was pushing for me to send someone to her branch seems like they are making money from the exchange rates personally but I declined and that was the last time I used the account officer.....Since then I learnt doing everything through head office of banks or central customer service......I hope you get me.....

Chillisauce:

Thats a very risky thing you are doing. You mean, you actually send someone to withdraw from dorm account, change it , then pay into your naira account? Wow.

I use SC, i always give them instruction to pay into my gt or sc naira account. They do that with a telephone call to confirm.
Passing through a third party in this time, oh boi.
After i witness something yrs ago, where a third party was asked to withdraw certain amount of money, and the third party said that thieves snatched his bag as soon as he exited the bank. What will you do to such person. cheesy

The people i could trust with that are either not available to help with it or ...

Confirm from your bank, there should be a way they do that esp if you have a naira account with same bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 30, 2014
lancee:

@chillsauce ,am just tryin to make refrence to one of ur past comments on t-bill , i found out that exhange rates is one of the problems one has to put inot consideration when investing in Tbills
Imagine for example loosing like 40k naira on 10,000 dollars when converting back to dollars
The last time i converted naira was 164 , now its 168 or more the naira is struggling
I think its better to leave the money in naira and use it in naija , just my thots

You are right but one has to analyse what's at stake. The exchange rate now will be funny as election approaches.
Not in a rush to convert back except for emergency situations.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 30, 2014
@ angelo82, you are right about some of these bankers . The worst are the investment bankers . God forbid i meet them again . They end up using their jargons to convince you while they smile to the bank .
Waiting for election to be finished for one to make a new strategy

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 4:21am On Oct 31, 2014
I was at an investment meeting yesterday, the meeting went quite well. The major point of discussion was the current development in politics and its effects on the economy, now investment analyst say with the coming elections money is expected to be pumped in to the economy by most politicians in form of bribes etc, now considering the drastically fall in oil prices in recent times and the maturity of FG bonds, analyst say money is going to be ejected into the economy and the effect of this is that CBN is going to pursue tighter monetary policy to mop up the economy there for analyst where calling for a long term view for investors because there will be jets and lags on the short run.

Fellow investors what's your stake
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ayeesha: 8:39am On Oct 31, 2014
Hello house..been following this thread for a while and I want to say thanks for all the info being shared.

Pls, I want to bid on the next aucton date for 91 days tenor. As it is, it will mature around February and I believe that is election month ba?

My concern is, hope our monies will be safe around that period , make person no come dey hear stories that touch!

Abeg, tbills experts in the house, will appreciate your quick response as usual cos I heard the next bidding will be next week and I wouldn't want to miss it Godwilling.

Thanks people!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 11:32am On Oct 31, 2014
ayeesha:
Hello house..been following this thread for a while and I want to say thanks for all the info being shared.

Pls, I want to bid on the next aucton date for 91 days tenor. As it is, it will mature around February and I believe that is election month ba?

My concern is, hope our monies will be safe around that period , make person no come dey hear stories that touch!

Abeg, tbills experts in the house, will appreciate your quick response as usual cos I heard the next bidding will be next week and I wouldn't want to miss it Godwilling.

Thanks people!

Feb. is a good time for maturity and most of us are waiting for Feb/March for our various investment in T.Bills to mature by then and we can take further decision on the next line of action depending on political situation in the country........Your money will be safe...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2014
angelo82:

I don't quite agree with your opening statement. You can transfer from your fx acct to your naira account with gtb. It will be at official rate with bank charges but it's doable

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 7:42pm On Oct 31, 2014
angelo82:

Feb. is a good time for maturity and most of us are waiting for Feb/March for our various investment in T.Bills to mature by then and we can take further decision on the next line of action depending on political situation in the country........Your money will be safe...
next action is 11/6/14 we hope the rate rise to 20per. 4 91days and above as per d elections 4rm situations nw it look like GEJ nailed it by givin d govs authomatic ticket
but there will be more money in circulation and cbn may what to moop the excess thus i c the rate going up my 2cent any likely or contrary opinion pls air let educate ourselves
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:24pm On Oct 31, 2014
walcolm:

I don't quite agree with your opening statement. You can transfer from your fx acct to your naira account with gtb. It will be at official rate with bank charges but it's doable

I don't know what you mean by FX account but Transferring from Domicilliary account,I was told it has to be to another domiciliary account and that I can't transfer from Domiciliary account to Naira savings account.I found it weird though but that was the truth but not with GTB....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2014
if you need to liquidate some of your tbills to meet an urgent need, what are the requirements for selling them off in the secondary market?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
Seun:
if you need to liquidate some of your tbills to meet an urgent need, what are the requirements for selling them off in the secondary market?

You should mail your bank and state your instruction clearly.....But you will loose some money on the principal amount.....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 5:39pm On Nov 01, 2014
Seun:
an email or letter to you bank instructing them to sell it will do
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
princeuk21:
an email or letter to you bank instructing them to sell it will do
How will the discount on the face value of the tbills to be sold be determined? Who will they be sold to? What will the transaction fees be? Tnx.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 7:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
Usually you can transfer from dom to naira, granted both accounts are under the same login with the bank.

I know this for GTB and Diamond.

Rates are terrible however so I never do, but have done in the past.

----+

Not a great idea to go back and forth between currencies. If you changed from $ £ € to Naira to invest in Nigeria, best is to leave it as Naira else you lose some of your profit changing back....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2014
Seun:

How will the discount on the face value of the tbills to be sold be determined? Who will they be sold to? What will the transaction fees be? Tnx.

The bank will determine based on the market trend. The have financial analysts. They buy from you and sell to other customers as secondary market or as fixed deposit at much lower returns. Thats why most fixed deposits have lower discount and equivalent tax.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
Seun:

it all depend on your capital/principal the bank can also give you the right answers to the above questions sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
angelo82:

GTB allows one to convert foreign currency in a domicilary account to only NAIRA savings or current account. I've tried it before and everything went very smoothly. It's all done in your internet banking.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ummitoagirl(f): 2:09am On Nov 02, 2014
deennest:

I'm new to this and I want to be singing this song of yours too.... It seams you know the real aspect of it now. Pls help a bro out here..
Which bank are you suggesting that wont mess the whole thing up on the long run. and any other relevant details... I'm Following you on this.

Thanks in Advance

Looolllll....

See, I had €5k in my European account for 1 year, dats equivalent N1m.. At the end of the year, my interest was €6 ...N1,200k, am like what the f**k €6 only!

Whilst lurking around after a Nigerian aunty told me, I stumbled across this thread and got in touch with my naija manager, I jumped on the band wagon. My TBills has earned me about N100,000k, dats like €500 in a few months....what...dats super amazing....never will I find this in Europe...in fact, I feel like I won the lotto...it's freaking much in the European sense sha, not sure about naija oh.

I am new to it to, ask d in house experts, they helped me too.

I do 91 days only and re invest just to be on the safe side.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 3:08am On Nov 02, 2014
ummitoagirl:

Looolllll....

See, I had €5k in my European account for 1 year, dats equivalent N1m.. At the end of the year, my interest was €6 ...N1,200k, am like what the f**k €6 only!

Whilst lurking around after a Nigerian aunty told me, I stumbled across this thread and got in touch with my naija manager, I jumped on the band wagon. My TBills has earned me about N100,000k, dats like €500 in a few months....what...dats super amazing....never will I find this in Europe...in fact, I feel like I won the lotto...it's freaking much in the European sense sha, not sure about naija oh.

I am new to it to, ask d in house experts, they helped me too.

nice to hear,
Tbills are very safe investment,
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Prince081: 9:18am On Nov 02, 2014
Hello house, I have been trying to venture into treasury bills, but I need some guide.
I went to my Diamond bank branch in Portharcourt and they said they don't do Treasury bills. I have some idle funds in That Diamond bank account that I need to invest from Portharcourt.

Please five me an idea of where I can go in order to participate in the next bid.

Thanks in anticipation of solutions.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 1:10pm On Nov 02, 2014
Prince081:
Hello house, I have been trying to venture into treasury bills, but I need some guide.
I went to my Diamond bank branch in Portharcourt and they said they don't do Treasury bills. I have some idle funds in That Diamond bank account that I need to invest from Portharcourt.

Please five me an idea of where I can go in order to participate in the next bid.

Go to investment one at GRA II it's an investment house the have licence with CBN, the can help you, or you go to any other bank that participates in TB bids,
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 1:20pm On Nov 02, 2014
ummitoagirl:

Looolllll....

See, I had €5k in my European account for 1 year, dats equivalent N1m.. At the end of the year, my interest was €6 ...N1,200k, am like what the f**k €6 only!.... like €500 in a few months....what...dats super amazing....never will I find this in Europe...in fact, I feel like I won the lotto...it's freaking much in the European sense sha, not sure about naija oh.

Go on girl, tell them!

Some folks on here saying 9-10% is a poor return.

With a relatively stable Naira, it's pretty much the one of the best "savings" interest rate in the world.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 1:22pm On Nov 02, 2014
also u can ask your account officer to give u address of other branches that sale tbill or email thier central customer care
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 2:25pm On Nov 02, 2014
Prince081:

Don't go to anywhere just mail the head office of your bank and inform them of your intention.They might be lying in your branch just for them to be using your fund as they want...I encountered something like that from one of my bank branch at first but I pushed through the head office and everything has been perfect since then.But hope you have enough money in that account.....I mean the minimum amount required.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by REDDEVILS1(m): 11:40pm On Nov 02, 2014
What's the minimum required please
angelo82:

Don't go to anywhere just mail the head office of your bank and inform them of your intention.They might be lying in your branch just for them to be using your fund as they want...I encountered something like that from one of my bank branch at first but I pushed through the head office and everything has been perfect since then.But hope you have enough money in that account.....I mean the minimum amount required.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 11:43pm On Nov 02, 2014
REDDEVILS1:
What's the minimum required please

100k normally and in some banks 1M.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nyinyesmiles: 10:12am On Nov 03, 2014
When is the next auction for tbills please? I want to write to my account officer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by REDDEVILS1(m): 4:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
I have some Ideal cash. Pls how is the bidding done. I wz told its held forthnightly. How will I know the interest. Am a novice at this pls sm1 enlighten me. Thanks a lot
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 8:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
coderXO:
Usually you can transfer from dom to naira, granted both accounts are under the same login with the bank.

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: articlewriter, talk2tonie and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.