Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:12 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4640539 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (2264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2014
REDDEVILS1:
I have some Ideal cash. Pls how is the bidding done. I wz told its held forthnightly. How will I know the interest. Am a novice at this pls sm1 enlighten me. Thanks a lot

You may bid via your bank and state your bid rate in an instruction letter to your bank at least a day before the auction date. However, I won't advice newbies to go through this channel as they may lose out easily. You may consider going through a bank that sells to you from their successful bid (e.g First bank). They are good at it and are most likely to be successful with their bid. This way, you are almost guaranteed a successful purchase but you must accept the interest rate that they give to you. In most cases however, the rate you get won't be far from CBN's stop rate. Plus, you get an option to rollover your investment and worry less about subsequent auctions. If you however decide to bid via your bank and eventually lose out, you may consider buying from the secondary market instead of waiting for the next auction.

You cannot know the exact rate as it is determined by an auction (held fortnightly) in which the final decision lies with the CBN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2014
REDDEVILS1:
I have some Ideal cash. Pls how is the bidding done. I wz told its held forthnightly. How will I know the interest. Am a novice at this pls sm1 enlighten me. Thanks a lot
This treasury bills investment is really simple to do, some might just make it look bogus. walk into any branch of ur bank, ask them for the current rate. you will then be asked to write a letter to the branch requesting for treasury bills. My last purchase was 9.5% for 91 days at diamond bank, the profit is paid upfront. No stress no hassles.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 6:06am On Nov 04, 2014
Elai147:

You may bid via your bank and state your bid rate in an instruction letter to your bank at least a day before the auction date. However, I won't advice newbies to go through this channel as they may lose out easily. You may consider going through a bank that sells to you from their successful bid (e.g First bank). They are good at it and are most likely to be successful with their bid. This way, you are almost guaranteed a successful purchase but you must accept the interest rate that they give to you. In most cases however, the rate you get won't be far from CBN's stop rate. Plus, you get an option to rollover your investment and worry less about subsequent auctions. If you however decide to bid via your bank and eventually lose out, you may consider buying from the secondary market instead of waiting for the next auction.

You cannot know the exact rate as it is determined by an auction (held fortnightly) in which the final decision lies with the CBN.
@reddevil i will advice u for nw to read tru this thread from the begining to the end u will get most of all the questions u wish to ask already there that the fastest way to learn easily if u r not ok then u can ask the gurus in the house peace bro my 2cent welcome unboard
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 6:14am On Nov 04, 2014
Nyinyesmiles:
When is the next auction for tbills please? I want to write to my account officer.
6/11/14 but before you do that make sure you have idea of the stop rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 1:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
obiak4:

6/11/14 but before you do that make sure you have idea of the stop rate

The next auction is tomorrow 5th Nov. 2014
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2014
Any one with valuable information on LeadCapital...I mean reputation/prompt service delivery.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 4:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
ummitoagirl:

Looolllll....

See, I had €5k in my European account for 1 year, dats equivalent N1m.. At the end of the year, my interest was €6 ...N1,200k, am like what the f**k €6 only!

Whilst lurking around after a Nigerian aunty told me, I stumbled across this thread and got in touch with my naija manager, I jumped on the band wagon. My TBills has earned me about N100,000k, dats like €500 in a few months....what...dats super amazing....never will I find this in Europe...in fact, I feel like I won the lotto...it's freaking much in the European sense sha, not sure about naija oh.

I am new to it to, ask d in house experts, they helped me too.

I do 91 days only and re invest just to be on the safe side.
so good to know cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 6:09pm On Nov 04, 2014
Elai147:

The next auction is tomorrow 5th Nov. 2014
maybe it was changed d doc i have from cbn says 6/11/14 check it out

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 7:19pm On Nov 04, 2014
obiak4:

maybe it was changed d doc i have from cbn says 6/11/14 check it out

It's usually a day (Wednesday) before the indicated date. Some of the dates are maturity dates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 1:43am On Nov 05, 2014
Elai147:

It's usually a day (Wednesday) before the indicated date. Some of the dates are maturity dates.
thanks boss for the information I never knew that was the way it been done

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 06, 2014
What was the rate ? Anyone?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2014
Chillisauce:
What was the rate ? Anyone?

Dear XXXXXX,

The Treasury Bills auction held yesterday and we give below the outcome:

PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

TENOR STOP RATES

91 9.70%

182 10.50%

364 11.20%

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 2:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
feelamong:

Dear XXXXXX,

PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

TENOR STOP RATES

91 9.70%

182 10.50%

364 11.20%

this are not really the best of time my prediction for 91 days shd at least be double figure, cbn want us to risk our money 4 low interest ko.
I want to pause tbill 4 nw any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 9:00am On Nov 08, 2014
What's wrong with the rate? I did 9.5% last week with diamond bank and I'm fine with that and seeing some of u here getting scared cos of the election, hello!! This is Nigeria and not Congo, Burkina Faso or CAR. 2015 election will come and go and nothing is gonna happen, June 12, 2007, 2011 all passed without anything after all the noise making. So invest ur money in treasury bills, Treasury bills is not a ponzi or money doubling scheme don't be too expectant.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
zeelo2014:
What's wrong with the rate? I did 9.5% last week with diamond bank and I'm fine with that and seeing some of u here getting scared cos of the election, hello!! This is Nigeria and not Congo, Burkina Faso or CAR. 2015 election will come and go and nothing is gonna happen, June 12, 2007, 2011 all passed without anything after all the noise making. So invest ur money in treasury bills, Treasury bills is not a ponzi or money doubling scheme don't be too expectant.

I agree with you , I had 180days tbills done with gtb
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SYLVA247(m): 4:54pm On Nov 09, 2014
feelamong:

Dear XXXXXX,

PRIMARY AUCTION RESULTS

TENOR STOP RATES

91 9.70%

182 10.50%

364 11.20%

I have followed this thread from the start.
I think I am confused at these rates here. Can someone clarify this,
For example, in the 91 days tenor of 9.70% rates,
does it mean you are going to get 9.70% interest of invested capital in 91 days (3 months)
or is it a rate measured per year?

i.e assuming I invested N100,000 for 91 days @ 9.70%
Does it mean I will receive N9,700 interest and my Principal Cash after 91 days

or will it be 9,700/4 = N2,425 since 91days is equal to a quarter.
Because when we see such rates, some might believe it's for 91days only.

Can some clarify this if I am thinking otherwise please.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 5:49pm On Nov 09, 2014
SYLVA247:

I have followed this thread from the start.
I think I am confused at these rates here. Can someone clarify this,
For example, in the 91 days tenor of 9.70% rates,
does it mean you are going to get 9.70% interest of invested capital in 91 days (3 months)
or is it a rate measured per year?

i.e assuming I invested N100,000 for 91 days @ 9.70%
Does it mean I will receive N9,700 interest and my Principal Cash after 91 days

or will it be 9,700/4 = N2,425 since 91days is equal to a quarter.
Because when we see such rates, some might believe it's for 91days only.

Can some clarify this if I am thinking otherwise please.

all interest rates are quoted P.A meaning per year, so if you invest 1m at 9.7% for 91days, u won't 97k instead you will get about 24250 which is 97k divided by 4. hope this helps you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 10:45pm On Nov 09, 2014
zeelo2014:

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Ive read a lot of comments from some analysts advising that we hold on further TB till after elections. Are people anticipating breakup (heaven forbid!) or what?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 1:15am On Nov 10, 2014
plendil:

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Ive read a lot of comments from some analysts advising that we hold on further TB till after elections. Are people anticipating breakup (heaven forbid!) or what?
no we r nt anticipating break up we r just anticipating high interest because there will be enough money in circulation so we expect more interest to moop up the excess cash.election money 4 settlement so i expect double digit z dat too much to ask?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
plendil:

yes oh, we have the right to anticipate whatever we want due to the way things are going. If on the event of breakup, we wont lose too much.
If the naira crashes as a result of the economy with the way bomb is going off everywhere, we have the right to anticipate.

Whatever it is, we have the right to access the risk and know if its the right thing to do. Every one have the right to access the situation based on the info they have, the main thing here is for profit while minimizing the risk to lose ones money.

No one plucks money on trees.

So yes, breakup is also one of the numerous factors i consider. smiley

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:10pm On Nov 12, 2014
i got 9.45
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:11pm On Nov 12, 2014
Chillisauce:

yes oh, we have the right to anticipate whatever we want due to the way things are going. If on the event of breakup, we wont lose too much.
If the naira crashes as a result of the economy with the way bomb is going off everywhere, we have the right to anticipate.

Whatever it is, we have the right to access the risk and know if its the right thing to do. Every one have the right to access the situation based on the info they have, the main thing here is for profit while minimizing the risk to lose ones money.

No one plucks money on trees.

So yes, breakup is also one of the numerous factors i consider. smiley
lol cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
nitrogen:
The last OMO auction came out at 11%, this is an indication that we will see bills' rates at 11% levels soon, watch out!

Who knows, we might get to 13% level by December. Who knows?

Overall, foreign participation has reduced, and there has been less subcriptions these days, this should continue as we approach the election month. God dey!

The scare is election and next year, the budget will take time before it will be approved, with fall in oil prices I feel it is safe to trim down your TB investment till April next year.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seye4nii(f): 12:03am On Nov 14, 2014
just reading about this tread 2day i think am so lucky to get here becoz have been thinking about TB, can i know the next auction please because i will be going to nija in 3days time and i will like to invest on TB b4 coming back to UK thanks everybody AM REALY HAPPY
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 1:29am On Nov 14, 2014
seye4nii:
just reading about this tread 2day i think am so lucky to get here becoz have been thinking about TB, can i know the next auction please because i will be going to nija in 3days time and i will like to invest on TB b4 coming back to UK thanks everybody AM REALY HAPPY

next auction date 11/20/14 or usually a day b4 which z 19th welcom in advance
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 8:40am On Nov 14, 2014
seye4nii:

If you already have an account in one of the sensible banks, you should be able to put in a request in time for the auction on 19 November.

I am assuming you plan to change pounds into Naira and deposit into the account. You must have your request to buy submitted by Monday 17 Nov and the funds must be in your account by Tuesday 18 Nov. If you want to be sure of success, ask the bank to use their bid rate.

If you dont have an account yet and you are planning to open one, you wont make next weeks auction. Earliest auction you can reasonably make is Wed 4 December.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
thank you guys for all the enlightening & insightful thread /posts..used to think investing in T-bills was too complex.Learned a lot here and will definitely make d most of it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 9:12pm On Nov 14, 2014
runnazz:
thank you guys for all the enlightening & insightful thread /posts..used to think investing in T-bills was too complex.Learned a lot here and will definitely make d most of it
you are welcome
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seye4nii(f): 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
@,Pappilo and Obiak4?/ thank u very much for the advise unfortunately i will be in nija on the 18th November but i have money in my acct already can i call my bank manager or wait till 4 of December next auction and how long will it take to process it coz my return is 7th of December once again thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seye4nii(f): 11:06pm On Nov 14, 2014
Again somebody is talking about Scare of next year election does this mean is safe to wait till after election or not, gurus over to you for enlighten.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 3:03am On Nov 15, 2014
seye4nii:
@,Pappilo and Obiak4?/ thank u very much for the advise unfortunately i will be in nija on the 18th November but i have money in my acct already can i call my bank manager or wait till 4 of December next auction and how long will it take to process it coz my return is 7th of December once again thanks.
yes u can but i prefare u send an email detailling the following the tenor,the rate and also the acct. Nos in which u wish to purchase frm, also have an idea of the rate if not they may sale 2 u frm thier holdings my 2kobo advice

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (2264) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: spencekat(m), awesomeJ(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.