Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442403 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 7:45pm On Dec 06, 2014
Looking forward to Dec 17th rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOBBDEEP: 11:36pm On Dec 06, 2014
petikal:

Banks rarely give you CBN rate, unless you're an excellent predictor.

Here are your possible outcomes:

- You specify 12.3%, and bank wins at 12.3%, you get 12.3%. Bank makes no money.

- You specify 12%, bank wins at 11.98%, you miss out. Your money stays in your account.

- You don't specify a minimum, bank bids to their best max and wins, you get the winning percentage minus 0.2-0.4%.

Thank you very much.
I sincerely appreciate.

But you raised more dust for me.
Kindly pardon & oblige my inquisitive ignorant mind.

Does that means different banks/agents get varying rates depending on their bargaining power?
Let me paint a scenario.
I give a minimum point of 12% for 182 days to my bank Stanbic IBTC who bidded 12.5% and the CBN final rate for the week is 13.5%. Meanwhile, 1st Bank & Union Bank bidded 13% & 13.5% respectively

What is the outcome of the above illustration?

Thank you Sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 1:25am On Dec 07, 2014
MOBBDEEP:

Thank you very much.
I sincerely appreciate.

Does that means different banks/agents get varying rates depending on their bargaining power?
Let me paint a scenario.
I give a minimum point of 12% for 182 days to my bank Stanbic IBTC who bidded 12.5% and the CBN final rate for the week is 13.5%. Meanwhile, 1st Bank & Union Bank bidded 13% & 13.5% respectively

Thank you Sir

You have to bear in mind that your contract is really with CBN, not your bank who's merely a representative. Whatever stop/marginal rate CBN offers for each tenor goes across ALL banks, and their bids are usually not far off. This is because CBN states the marginal rate before opening up for bids. So, if a bank bids a rate higher than the marginal rate, it'll be rejected, and one that's <= will be accepted.

The difference between banks is the percentage they deduct from you for their service, which is negligible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOBBDEEP: 6:19am On Dec 07, 2014
petikal:

You have to bear in mind that your contract is really with CBN, not your bank who's merely a representative. Whatever stop/marginal rate CBN offers for each tenor goes across ALL banks, and their bids are usually not far off. This is because CBN states the marginal rate before opening up for bids. So, if a bank bids a rate higher than the marginal rate, it'll be rejected, and one that's <= will be accepted.

The difference between banks is the percentage they deduct from you for their service, which is negligible.

Thanks for the whole time & energy.
I appreciate deeply .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 6:51am On Dec 07, 2014
MOBBDEEP:

Thanks for the whole time & energy.
I appreciate deeply .
Glad I was able to help. Happy investing! cool
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 6:51am On Dec 07, 2014
Getting better, but riskier.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 11:38am On Dec 07, 2014
nitrogen:
Getting better, but riskier.

lol......But true........
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bellafinesse(m): 10:11pm On Dec 07, 2014
Well done sirs, Pls I wanna know if you quote more than your bank like say you quote 12% and your bank wins at 11.98%,you said your money stays in your account. Does that mean I won't get paid @al? I invest 100000,nothing is paid if I decide to invest it for 91 days?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2014
Bellafinesse:
Well done sirs, Pls I wanna know if you quote more than your bank like say you quote 12% and your bank wins at 11.98%,you said your money stays in your account. Does that mean I won't get paid @al? I invest 100000,nothing is paid if I decide to invest it for 91 days?
yes u don't get paid
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Krucifax(m): 11:37pm On Dec 07, 2014
Here's a general question on T-Bills investment.

Say you invest N100K. And let's say the return rate is 10%. Let's also say you went for the 91 days term.

Q: Would your ROI be N110K or would it be N110K divided by 12 (months) multiplied by 3 months(as 91days ) ? Giving a ROI of N102,500.

Anyone who has invested or has the info would be much appreciated if you could respond.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:05am On Dec 08, 2014
rates are always quoted per annum...so your 10% on the TBills is 10% per annum

your maths is correct...you only get 2,500

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:08am On Dec 08, 2014
petikal:

so does that mean if you bid 12% for a 91-day bill but CBN accepts 13.5% for the same bill, the bank will book you at 13.5%?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 8:06am On Dec 08, 2014
walcolm:

so does that mean if you bid 12% for a 91-day bill but CBN accepts 13.5% for the same bill, the bank will book you at 13.5%?

Yes, 13.5% minus the bank service fee.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Krucifax(m): 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2014
walcolm:
rates are always quoted per annum...so your 10% on the TBills is 10% per annum

your maths is correct...you only get 2,500

Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:40pm On Dec 08, 2014
petikal:

Nah, I can assure you the bank will only give you your 12% less their own service charge and keep the difference for themselves

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 8:14pm On Dec 08, 2014
walcolm:

Nah, I can assure you the bank will only give you your 12% less their own service charge and keep the difference for themselves

Depends on the bank, some are more transparent than the other and have integrity to maintain. 12% is minimum bid you specified, not maximum. So, legally, you should get the bank's winning bid (if it's higher) and they're usually not far off from CBN stop rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
walcolm:

petikal:

In the PMA, everyone gets their quoted bid rate. You can only get CBN's stop rate when your bid equals the stop rate. Using @Walcom's post above as a case in point, you get 12% since your bid is less than the stop rate. This is how it is done in Naija. Meanwhile, I was told that in some developed countries, everyone gets the CBN's stop rate as long as your bid is not higher than the stop rate (don't know how true though).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2014
walcolm:

petikal:

Depends on the bank, some are more transparent than the other and have integrity to maintain. 12% is minimum bid you specified, not maximum. So, legally, you should get the bank's winning bid (if it's higher) and they're usually not far off from CBN stop rate.

If you submit your bid to your bank and gave an instruction that you are bidding at NOT LESS THAN a certain amount, you will get that amount and nothing more. Assuming you asked your bank to bid for you at a rate not less than 10% and you're successful, what you will get is 10% (if your bank actually submitted your bid in the PMA). In the auction market, bids have to be exact. There is nothing like "AT LEAST 10%" otherwise everyone would bid at "at least 1%" and expect to get their bank rate (banks no be maga na). However, if you say to your bank that you want a rate not less than 10% and eventually get more than 10% from them, this simply means they may have sold for you from their successful bid.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 1:18pm On Dec 09, 2014
MOBBDEEP:

Thank you very much.
I sincerely appreciate.

Let me paint a scenario.

Thank you Sir

Don't bother submitting any bid, just get a financial house affiliated to a bank, they do a lot of insider trading and their stop rates are exactly what you expect, that is what I have noticed since I started in 2001
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
jpphilips:

Don't bother submitting any bid, just get a financial house affiliated to a bank, they do a lot of insider trading and their stop rates are exactly what you expect, that is what I have noticed since I started in 2001

Eg of financial house affiliated to a bank ?thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by weimar: 9:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
Chillisauce:

Can you pls name one financial house affiliated with GT Bank, Diamond, and first bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 6:41pm On Dec 10, 2014
Chillisauce:

First capital but don't quote me on the insider trading part
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 7:04pm On Dec 10, 2014
If you find this platform worthy maybe you should come here to give us insiders information as regards T.Bills rate.........

jpphilips:

First capital but don't quote me on the insider trading part
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 7:47pm On Dec 10, 2014
Elai147:

If you submit your bid to your bank and gave an instruction that you are bidding at NOT LESS THAN a certain amount, you will get that amount and nothing more. Assuming you asked your bank to bid for you at a rate not less than 10% and you're successful, what you will get is 10% (if your bank actually submitted your bid in the PMA). In the auction market, bids have to be exact. There is nothing like "AT LEAST 10%" otherwise everyone would bid at "at least 1%" and expect to get their bank rate (banks no be maga na). However, if you say to your bank that you want a rate not less than 10% and eventually get more than 10% from them, this simply means they may have sold for you from their successful bid.
very correct
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emetos05: 6:28pm On Dec 11, 2014
Most banks don't specify their rates, they said it depends on CBN. But diamond said 10% for 91-days tenor
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 10:47pm On Dec 11, 2014
Three of my TBills investment matured recently but I will have to wait until after elections to put in for a new investment. I'd fancy the 365 tenor period this time. Getting as close as 12% wouldn't be bad.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 12:24am On Dec 12, 2014
Bamz:
Three of my TBills investment matured recently but I will have to wait until after elections to put in for a new investment. I'd fancy the 365 tenor period this time. Getting as close as 12% wouldn't be bad.
i'll advice you wait after the election.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 12:28am On Dec 12, 2014
princeuk21:
i'll advice you wait after the election.

Alright. Ty.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 4:41am On Dec 12, 2014
While waiting for the elections, where will the money be? Deposited in the same bank or right under your bed? Lol.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 9:48pm On Dec 13, 2014
zeelo2014:
While waiting for the elections, where will the money be? Deposited in the same bank or right under your bed? Lol.
fixed deposit or any better short term investment
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2014
princeuk21:
fixed deposit or any better short term investment

Better short term investment? *pensive*

Got any ideas on that?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 1:50pm On Dec 14, 2014
You can put in for 91 days for the bid coming up later this week...small "change" for the holidays eh...would mature after all the elections are over and luckily before the handover/swearing-in ceremonies take place...and you don't have to keep all that money under your bed and sleep with one eye open... wink grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.