Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446031 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 5:12pm On Dec 14, 2014
Hello everyone. Please, this is not intended to derail this thread.
Can anyone intimate me about the FBN/CITI Bank money markets stuff? Is it more profitable than T-Bills? How easily accessible is the investment in the case of emergency?

A prompt and informed response would be appreciated.

Thank you all.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 10:33am On Dec 15, 2014
Gud a.m house,can anyone please confirm if the bidding for this week will still hold? I need a confirmation asap pls,thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 12:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
Damolaskynov:
Gud a.m house,can anyone please confirm if the bidding for this week will still hold? I need a confirmation asap pls,thanks

Thanks house,I've got confirmation that NO bidding will take place this week.Happy holidays once again...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deennest: 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2014
angelo82:

lol......But true........

Riskier!!! How pls?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tziz(m): 11:18am On Dec 18, 2014
Pls pls pls i have some cash i reserved in Diamond Bank's HIDA a/c, although it pays me interest higher than the normal savings a/c, iv stumbled upon this Treasury Bills stuff a couple of times and didnt take it seriously but i want to go into it now. I just took some little time to go through some few pages in this thread but still didnt grasp it yet, probably because i was jumping pages. Can some1 pls help a broda, am a total novice in this. For basics, I need to knw exactly wat it is and how it works and the gains and risks involved.. Pls som1 kindly help.. Tnx in adv.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by willyboss: 4:15pm On Dec 18, 2014
[quote author=tziz post=28989286]Pls pls pls i have some cash i reserved in Diamond Bank's HIDA a/c, although it pays me interest higher than the normal savings a/c, iv stumbled upon this Treasury Bills stuff a couple of times and didnt take it seriously but i want to go into it now. I just took some little time to go through some few pages in this thread but still didnt grasp it yet, probably because i was jumping pages. Can some1 pls help a broda, am a total novice in this. For basics, I need to knw exactly wat it is and how it works and the gains and risks involved.. Pls som1 kindly help.. Tnx in adv. @tziz, all u need to know about T-bills have been addressed in this thread just be patient enough to read through and understand how it works bro. 'Hot soup na small small dem dey take drink am' - Judas Iscarot.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 4:38pm On Dec 18, 2014
tziz:
Pls pls pls i have some cash i reserved in Diamond Bank's HIDA a/c, although it pays me interest higher than the normal savings a/c, iv stumbled upon this Treasury Bills stuff a couple of times and didnt take it seriously but i want to go into it now. I just took some little time to go through some few pages in this thread but still didnt grasp it yet, probably because i was jumping pages. Can some1 pls help a broda, am a total novice in this. For basics, I need to knw exactly wat it is and how it works and the gains and risks involved.. Pls som1 kindly help.. Tnx in adv.

You don reach here grin

Savings account of any kind is ridiculous in terms of returns.. irrespective of the name the bank calls it

Treasury bills are low risk govt securities that give a decent return (up to 13% at times) in Nigeria is exchange for locking your money away for 90, 180 or 365 days..of course you can break the investment in between at a penalty
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tziz(m): 6:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
walcolm:

You don reach here grin

Savings account of any kind is ridiculous in terms of returns.. irrespective of the name the bank calls it

Treasury bills are low risk govt securities that give a decent return (up to 13% at times) in Nigeria is exchange for locking your money away for 90, 180 or 365 days..of course you can break the investment in between at a penalty
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tziz(m): 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2014
walcolm:

You don reach here grin

I swear i was about informing u on the bb thread dt i was goin to send u a PIN message about this cos i saw a post frm u while i was jumping around pages here. grin
Tnx much. I'll snd u a PIN in a bit.. Hope its ok?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 8:34am On Dec 19, 2014
Guys, could this be real? Rates for (17/12/2014):

91 days : 11%
182 days : 13.849%
364 days : 15.99%

Source:
http://www.cenbank.org/rates/GovtSecuritiesDrillDown.asp?market=NTBP
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:37am On Dec 19, 2014
Ojix85:

Source:
This makes a lot of sense. A lot of investors are scared of the elections so rates are high since these tbills will mature after the elections

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 8:40am On Dec 19, 2014
Seun:
This makes a lot of sense. A lot of investors are scared of the elections so rates are high since these tbills will mature after the elections

Interesting and impressive rates. Besides, a Nairalander above confirmed no bidding will take place this week.
I guess it did after all.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 10:05am On Dec 19, 2014
Ojix85:

Source:

Kaboom! That's more like it!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lovelyadeola(m): 10:11am On Dec 19, 2014
Wish i know about it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 10:40am On Dec 19, 2014
Ojix85:

Source:

Now we are talking. You shouldn't be surprised.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 11:57am On Dec 19, 2014
Pls house when is the next T-bills auction ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by samkay12(m): 12:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
I just got debited for the last TB.
Bought using GTB
From the debit and what is left in my account; it looks like I got a rate of 13.15% for 182days
Of course they charged 300naira transfer fee and then some Custodian fee.

With the fees it comes up to about 13.1%
Not too shabby but not exactly the 13.849% quoted by CBN

Looking at the successful bids I should have just done 365 days for over 15%.
I actually wanted to do 365 but switched because of some of the things written here embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2014
Ojix85:

Source:

Good afternoon fellow, Yes it is real, infact expect more.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
Can the Treasury Bills gurus in the house please explain why Zenith bank paid 11.5 and 10.3% respectively for 364 and 182 days tenor for the Treasury Bills application this week in constrast to the CBN marginal rate above.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunai(m): 3:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
This is sweet to hear. Guys what is the risk in this high rates?.

Also does anyone know when the next bidding date will be?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 3:04pm On Dec 19, 2014
dejiotus:

Can the Treasury Bills gurus in the house please explain why Zenith bank paid 11.5 and 10.3% respectively for 364 and 182 days tenor for the Treasury Bills application this week in constrast to the CBN marginal rate above.

Maybe they sold to you from their books instead of the CBN auction. the difference between what you get and CBN publication is usually marginal. so ask them very well or seek for the TB certificate and you may find out.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 5:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
Yes I am suspecting that the rate is from the secondary market but the bank has not been able to confirm either way for now. I think Zenith has pulled a very fast one on me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 11:48pm On Dec 19, 2014
Ojix85:

Source:

smiley the rate will increase remember election is on its way. Invest wisely guys wink
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godside: 6:49am On Dec 20, 2014
princeuk21:
smiley the rate will increase remember election is on its way. Invest wisely guys wink

Compliment of the season . I jus got bck my intial capital 4rm my bank . I wil like to re-invest it bck to Tb but please wat r the risk for buyin Tb this time , due to d forthcomin election . Thanx
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 8:32am On Dec 20, 2014
Godside:

Compliment of the season . I jus got bck my intial capital 4rm my bank . I wil like to re-invest it bck to Tb but please wat r the risk for buyin Tb this time , due to d forthcomin election . Thanx
Same smiley . Well nothing much but just the election i believe after the election i'll invest big.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 20, 2014
With this 15% im seeing, who else is tempted to go for 365days cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2014
I am tempted but I have to wait till Feb. 2015 for my 180days T bill to mature from both banks...Even if I want to put another fund,I will still wait till end of Feb.2015....

Chillisauce:
With this 15% im seeing, who else is tempted to go for 365days cheesy

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 20, 2014
angelo82:
I am tempted but I have to wait till Feb. 2015 for my 180days T bill to mature from both banks...Even if I want to put another fund,I will still wait till end of Feb.2015....

Why February, I thought the election is May?

I have one ending this Xmas. That 15% would be perfect to get this new yr. At least compensate us with the dollar exchange rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 1:58pm On Dec 20, 2014
Apparently some of us don't understand the perils of a high interest rates. You all want it to go higher...yer don't know the currency is losing it's value.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2014
coderXO:
Apparently some of us don't understand the perils of a high interest rates. You all want it to go higher...yer don't know the currency is losing it's value.

What's your point ?
The currency started losing value before the increase in high rate.

And you forgot that people have different reasons why they choose to invest in treasure bills.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 2:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
Swearing in suppose to be May and election should be in Feb. but am not sure since I am not in Nigeria.....The issue for me is too much uncertainties with economy and I just want us to go into the new year with a renew hope of reduced speculations concerning stability of Nigeria....Then I am ready lock in all my fixed income fund for a whole year since I don't know what will happen with the BVN palaver.....Too much to consider and not just the 15% but I am sure the 15% will stay longer than expected.....

Chillisauce:

Why February, I thought the election is May?

I have one ending this Xmas. That 15% would be perfect to get this new yr. At least compensate us with the dollar exchange rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2014
angelo82:
Swearing in suppose to be May and election should be in Feb. but am not sure since I am not in Nigeria.....The issue for me is too much uncertainties with economy and I just want us to go into the new year with a renew hope of reduced speculations concerning stability of Nigeria....Then I am ready lock in all my fixed income fund for a whole year since I don't know what will happen with the BVN palaver.....Too much to consider and not just the 15% but I am sure the 15% will stay longer than expected.....

That BVN is another crazy factor. What is t with Nigeria and unstable economy. New official , New rule. If they are not changing policy, they are changing currency .
I might go for next bid. Long throat no good.

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.