Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,086 members, 7,821,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4448732 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (2230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 30, 2014
Gurus in the house using GTB, which one is better going with the bank rates for 91 days tenor or stating your own rates. If stating your own rates is better, what do you suggest for the bid rates of 91 days tenor.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 11:14am On Dec 30, 2014
If you state your own rate and it's not lower than the accepted bid rate by CBN, then you get nothing. Going with the bank bid rate ensures you get whatever the bank gets and the bank always gets something

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2014
Please, what is the minimum amount that GTB accept for bidding. They told me they don't take less than N5m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2014
To all the Tbills guru in the house: A happy and fulfilling investment in the new year.

cc seun
angelo82
Chillisauce
princeuk21
. Nitrogen
Coderxo
Feelamong

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 2:49pm On Dec 30, 2014
Wishing you the best of 2015..........

tolutweety:
To all the Tbills guru in the house: A happy and fulfilling investment in the new year.

cc seun
angelo82
Chillisauce
princeuk21
. Nitrogen
Coderxo

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
tolutweety:

cc seun
angelo82
Chillisauce
princeuk21
. Nitrogen
Coderxo

Brother, Jah bless our hustles. Amen!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 3:00pm On Dec 30, 2014
angelo82:
Wishing you the best of 2015..........
nitrogen:

Brother, Jah bless our hustles. Amen!

More investment sense in the new year... Cheers guys!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2014
tolutweety:

cc seun
angelo82
Chillisauce
princeuk21
. Nitrogen
Coderxo
Feelamong

wishing you all the best! smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 7:43pm On Dec 30, 2014
God bless you all. Be encouraged. Be of good cheer. Have a safe & pleasant holiday season.
I pray this new coming year brings us all more joy than we've ever experienced.

Bless!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2014
Please gurus!! Would like to be clarified on this issue. If I decide to go for that of 91 days maturity, does it mean after 91 days of investing I would get my invested cash and ccomplete lets say 10% interest.. Or is the 10% paid at interval, throughout the year.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 9:06am On Dec 31, 2014
Sylverly:
Please gurus!! Would like to be clarified on this issue. If I decide to go for that of 91 days maturity, does it mean after 91 days of investing I would get my invested cash and ccomplete lets say 10% interest.. Or is the 10% paid at interval, throughout the year.

you'll likely get your 10%p.a. upfront and get your principal back after 91 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 10:12am On Dec 31, 2014
walcolm:

you'll likely get your 10%p.a. upfront and get your principal back after 91 days
thanks so much..initially I thought one could go for 91 days, get your invested money and the 10% interest at a go.. Then re invest..now, I understand how it works, on this ground I think 364 days would be better
..what's your say on this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 10:37am On Dec 31, 2014
Sylverly:
thanks so much..initially I thought one could go for 91 days, get your invested money and the 10% interest at a go.. Then re invest..now, I understand how it works, on this ground I think 364 days would be better
..what's your say on this?

after every 91 days you can ask the bank to turn it over...meaning they will buy you another 91days bill and give you your interest
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2014
walcolm:

after every 91 days you can ask the bank to turn it over...meaning they will buy you another 91days bill and give you your interest
ok..then I think that should be the better..let say I went for 91 days..and turned it over three times(91 is roughly 3 months, so 3 months thrice is roughly a year)in a year..that means I'm expecting 3 times the interest in a year...ryt?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:04pm On Dec 31, 2014
Ryt

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ojix85: 1:19am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new year guys.

Lets make more money this year.

Stay blessed everyone.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 2:13am On Jan 01, 2015
Sylverly:
ok..then I think that should be the better..let say I went for 91 days..and turned it over three times(91 is roughly 3 months, so 3 months thrice is roughly a year)in a year..that means I'm expecting 3 times the interest in a year...ryt?

Quietly reading but I should comment because you are sounding like "turning it" over 3 times will yield you 30% in that 9 month span.

Er, 3 times the interest yes but your interest is not 10% over 3 months.

Has been said many times on this thread, but in case you missed it: interest rates are USUALLY quoted on an annual basis.

Thus the rate you receive is the return you get leaving your cash over a 12 month period.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 4:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
coderXO:

Quietly reading but I should comment because you are sounding like "turning it" over 3 times will yield you 30% in that 9 month span.

Er, 3 times the interest yes but your interest is not 10% over 3 months.

Has been said many times on this thread, but in case you missed it: interest rates are USUALLY quoted on an annual basis.

Thus the rate you receive is the return you getleaving your cash over a 12 month period.
getting clearer day by day...I appreciate a lot, you did the needful by commenting...so, what that 91 day means is , you get your invested cash after the 91 days but not the complete interest.(one can only get complete interest on annual bases)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 7:14pm On Jan 01, 2015
Sylverly:
getting clearer day by day...I appreciate a lot, you did the needful by commenting...so, what that 91 day means is , you get your invested cash after the 91 days but not the complete interest.(one can only get complete interest on annual bases)

If you bid and got at a rate of 10% for a 91 day bill.

91 days is about [365 / 4]

So your interest over 91 days would be approximately [10% / 4] = 2.5%

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pluslargent(m): 7:21am On Jan 02, 2015
coderXO:

If you bid and got at a rate of 10% for a 91 day bill.

91 days is about [365 / 4]

So your interest over 91 days would be approximately [10% / 4] = 2.5%

can't help but wonder how many tines this will be explained through the forum....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 8:16am On Jan 02, 2015
Pluslargent:

can't help but wonder how many tines this will be explained through the forum....

... cry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 9:29am On Jan 02, 2015
@coderXO
@pluslargent

Best advice to give a newbie here is to tell them to invest as little as 10-15 mins to go through this thread.

If they are too impatient to ignore that advice, I dont think they can be patient to invest their money for months.

Morning all!

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 10:25am On Jan 02, 2015
grin grin ;DHappy New Year everyone in the house!! For the sake of those who are still a bit perplexed about how the calculations for Treasury bills are done and who like me some months ago couldn't locate the initial pages of this thread where it was clearly stated by feelaamong and others, this simple equation should be of much help

Discount Yield (%) = Face Value – Purchase price X 360______ X 100(%)
Face Value Days Till Maturity

I only hope this helps...You always have to remember that the Tbills are of 91,182 and 364 days tenor. Face value is the amount you intend to invest,purchase price is the amount actually deducted by CBN leaving behind your interest and the discount yield is the approved bid rate range for whatever tenor you put in for. It is not as complex as it sounds,sincerely
I use GTBank for my TB purchases,and the minimum I know is N500,000 unless they changed it yesterday... For someone who said N5 million as minimum for GTB,your investment officer apparently wants to discourage you from TB purchase...even Zenith bank I know says N1 million as minimum for TB purchase.
I wish you all a profitable year ahead...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 1:44pm On Jan 02, 2015
tolutweety:
@coderXO
@pluslargent

Best advice to give a newbie here is to tell them to invest as little as 10-15 mins to go through this thread.

If they are too impatient to ignore that advice, I dont think they can be patient to invest their money for months.

Morning all!

Yes perhaps but quite frankly 1/3 of the content of these 72 pages isn't particularly useful.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chillis: 3:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
tolutweety:

cc seun
angelo82
Chillisauce
princeuk21
. Nitrogen
Coderxo
Feelamong

Same to you!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 3:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
coderXO:

Yes perhaps but quite frankly 1/3 of the content of these 72 pages isn't particularly useful.
You are right!
But the 2/3 of the content of the 72pages left is still the basics one should know.

That aside,when is the next bidding date?
Is it really still advisable to pump in money into tbills, considering the forthcoming election and other unstable economic factors @ d moment.

Whts your take?!

cc chillis
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chillis: 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2015
tolutweety:

You are right!
But the 2/3 of the content of the 72pages left is still the basics one should know.

That aside,when is the next bidding date?
Is it really still advisable to pump in money into tbills, considering the forthcoming election and other unstable economic factors @ d moment.

Whts your take?!

cc chillis

my dear, i have already booked for 7th January grin
I saw the 15% and my eye balls came out from the socket shocked

Im watching closely though with my accountant, any kpararam, i sell it off!

pls has anyone sold off their TB before maturity. How much is deducted from the whole investment? Is it worth it selling off after some months?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolutweety(m): 4:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
Chillis:

my dear, i have already booked for 7th January grin
I saw the 15% and my eye balls came out from the socket shocked

Im watching closely though with my accountant, any kpararam, i sell it off!

pls has anyone sold off their TB before maturity. How much is deducted from the whole investment? Is it worth it selling off after some months?

The 15% is tempting....so tempting !!

I planned diversifying investment into other things,i guess i might just take this risk .

Never sold TB before; @ House :How easy and quick is the selling of Bills ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 4:25pm On Jan 02, 2015
Yes 15% is tempting , am joining the crew next week , anybody wanna roll with us should think abt it grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 10:32pm On Jan 02, 2015
lancee:
Yes 15% is tempting , am joining the crew next week , anybody wanna roll with us should think abt it grin

yea...I'm interested..but was the 15% published, if so where can I get the full details..though, I'm considering starting with 200k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2015
Sylverly:
yea...I'm interested..but was the 15% published, if so where can I get the full details..though, I'm considering starting with 200k

Based on the last rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 10:38pm On Jan 02, 2015
Hello guys, since my interest is going to be paid upfront, then is there any other risk accrued as some talked about election and economic stability...will one lose ones money? I wannnaa do 15% too ooo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (2230) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: lexy2lexy and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.