Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

..... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ..... (1825 Views)

Advice Me, I Want To Change My Surname To The One I Desire / Should Ladies Retain Their Surname After Marriage? / Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

..... by ayinde20122012: 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2012
Re: ..... by BuffaloSoldier(m): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2012
Hey man,

I don't think you should do it. Your name was given to you by your family, You can still be a good Christian with a Muslim name and vice versa. I was in your shoes at one point, I was actually raised Christian. But, I converted to Islam when I was 19 yrs old. Many people around me changed their names, I didn't. I didnt because it was the name that my father and his father carried. It is not obligatory to do such a thing. Making your name "non-muslim" will not make you more Christian, Ok, what about Christians who live in countries like Iraq, Lebanon? They have traditional Muslim surnames, THEY DONT CHANGE IT, Dont do it man, Stick with your birth name, Just my opinion
Re: ..... by Obiagu1(m): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
ayinde20122012:

I am a guy from Oyo state in Nigeria, I was born into a muslim family with a muslim surname, at some point in my life I became a Christian. I still have my muslim family name though but I do not feel comfortable being a Christian and having a muslim identity (muslim surname) . I am thinking about changing my surname to something else legally, I have thought about a few yoruba names that Glorifies God that I can change to, I know alot of Christians that bear muslim names and they dont care but I do and I believe we should be able to change what we dont like about our lives, I just want people's opinion about this. Does it sound right to do something like this? One of my greatest concern is that I know I will be getting married in about a year of two from now and it means on my wedding day I will have a different last name from my other family members, people kindly drop your opinion.

Thanks for reading but pls take note:
1. I dont have anything against muslims, I respect them and their faith and I believe I deserve same from them
2. I believe everyone cant have same opinion on issues, so I expect some harsh comments but dont waste your time (not interested)

You can always change your surname and the earlier you do it the better before you get married and start having kids.
My advise is that you pick one of your father's names that is not a Muslim name as your new surname.

One of my friends, a male, changed his surname just after graduating from the University so his certificate bears a different surname from the one he is using now and he has no problem with it.

PS: Remember you need a sworn affidavit and a publication in a national newspaper for it to be legal.
Re: ..... by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2012
drop all this muslim and chrisitan names. it is a symbol of enslavement and conversion. adopt traditional names from your tribe. That will restore some dignity into you. cool
Re: ..... by dayokanu(m): 3:42am On Feb 27, 2012
You can change it to your dads middle name if its a native yoruba name
Re: ..... by oludashmi(f): 11:16am On Feb 27, 2012
You can change it to one of your father's native names if you really wish to. Although, it binds and makes generations traceable.
But like someone said, it doesnt make you more Christian or better than your siblings. It can can even serve as evangelism.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 01, 2012
There's nothing like muslim names. What you have are arabic names, and many non-muslim arabs(who are christians, buddhists, judaism adherents) bear them as their native names. Though I must admit that Islam has hijacked arabic names that it's become synonymous to the religion.
Re: ..... by juman(m): 6:40pm On Mar 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

drop all this muslim and chrisitan names. it is a symbol of enslavement and conversion. adopt traditional names from your tribe. That will restore some dignity into you. cool

Habah. grin
Re: ..... by Ptolomeus(m): 8:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
Dear friend.
What matters is what you believe, and not as it is called.
I am not Christian nor Muslim, but if I had a Christian or a Muslim name would not change even if I dislike.
I agree with PAGAN 9JA in a tribal name should be the best solution.
You do not forget that life can always lead to change, and tomorrow you may not be satisfied with a Christian name.
In my opinion, if you change something, do it by a name that identifies your creed.
It isnt necessary.
But I would not change my name in such circumstances.
My greeting!

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba First Class Monarch Acquires A Brand New INNOSON SUV- Pictures / Modern Igbo To Take Note Eze Does Not Mean King In Literal Sense Of The Word / How The Yorubas Lost The Ilorin Throne To The Fulanis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.