Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? (2647 Views)

Need A Webmaster To Partner With My Record Label / 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by astronp7(m): 7:49pm On Oct 23, 2007
My student in one of my traing session, ask this question to me. "Can a web designer not have a website?"

Later after giving it a thought, I wonder why most of my collegues (webmasters!) not have a personal site. Even after huge proposals here and there.

Whats your opinion on this?
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Afam(m): 8:51pm On Oct 23, 2007
A web designer should own a website either a personal one or a business own, nevertheless it doesn't sound right that you setup websites for people, knowing the many advantages of going online and yet not owning one.

A business website would even be better as personal websites are personal websites and serious businesses would rather visit a business website than a personal one.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by my2cents(m): 9:04pm On Oct 23, 2007
Anyone developing a website should have a website. Having said that, I was once guilty of not having one tongue

Since I wasn't going to pay myself, the motivation was lacking. I however always had a list of sites I did at the tip of my fingers. What finally did it for me was that every time I got a request for proposal, I found myself repeating the same stuff over and over and over. By creating my site finally, I was able to say, "please refer to my website for more information". Once I created my site, it was amazing how fast the questions with obvious answers stopped. I developed 9 sites before I finally owned a site of my own shocked shocked

So again, I say you should have a website although even if you don't, you shouldn't allow that to hinder you from conducting business. It might make getting business a little harder, it might make one think that you aren't serious, but again, it shouldn't stop you from doing business. As I firmly believe, whatever God has in store for you, no obstacle whatsoever will prevent you from achieving it as long as you make the effort to go for it.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by gbolio4(m): 11:53pm On Oct 23, 2007
webmasters must have websites? Well, not all motor mechanics have cars cheesy
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by neeyeeo(m): 12:03am On Oct 24, 2007
you must have a website as a webmaster,I am a webmaster too and believe its easy to get more contracts off the ground easily,if you have a website to show prospective clients, they would see what you've got to offer and remove skepticism from thier thoughts about also owning a web presence. ever since i started referring clients to my website,business have been always easy too for me,
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On Oct 24, 2007
uuumm, I am a web Developer and I don't have a website of my own and it has not stopped me from getting jobs or projects.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by WebJunior(m): 2:18am On Oct 24, 2007
It's usually a good practice to have your own or company's website for references, though some webmasters do get away with not giving references and yet still get the contract.

Such webmaster is most likely taking the ignorance of a client as an advantage or is well known and trusted by the client.

Just like a reputable company will not employ you without an accurate CV or you passing the vetting system, so you will face the possibility of loosing any reputable company website contract.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Oct 24, 2007
WebJunior:

It's usually a good practice to have your own or company's website for references, though some webmasters do get away with not giving references and yet still get the contract.

Such webmaster is most likely taking the ignorance of a client as an advantage or is well known and trusted by the client.

Just like a reputable company will not employ you without an accurate CV or you passing the vetting system, so you will face the possibility of loosing any reputable company website contract.

I am sure the many companies I have worked with, so many of which you must have heard of are not ignorant in any way. I believe in being confident and not really needing to show that I can do what I say I can by having a personal site but actually being able to convince them that I can. But I guess it does not work that way for every person. I have a degree in computing from a good school so that does tell a lot when you have that in your resume and also the way you present yourself helps a great deal. The Job I currently have now, I did not need to even show anything, I was supposed to get an interview and the guy asked me about myself and if I felt I was up to the task, asked me if I was good working with Christians and when I said yes, told me to come in the next day to start. It was supposed to be a one month gig but I have been working at the same for almost a year now. I believe in miracles and so far, I can say that it has been miracles all the way and I have not yet disappointed any ( don't get me preaching now). But anyways, I have two part time projects I work on from home with some universities and some other company and non has asked me for personal sites but I do have a portfolio /list of sites I have worked with in the past to show.

PS, If you saw the site one of my coworkers has, you would think the dude does not even have skills but he has mad skills. The dude can build you top applications in minutes but his personal site looks like something someone cut and pasted together. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by tundewoods(m): 3:49am On Oct 24, 2007
It is only logical for a "Consulting" Web developer or designer to have a website to atleast showcase his previous or past website projects and portfolio as well as all the necessary background information about him or her self.

Take it from me,an average freelance web designer/developer or web design firm without a website in the present age and time is just like a "Big Joke".I guess you need come across some very "Wake Up" clients that will determine your level of experience and seriousness by merely visiting and rating your own website.

My brother alot of my co web pals lost jobs in the past because they didn't have their own websites showcasing atleast their own web portfolio and basic backgrouns information about them.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Kobojunkie: 4:05am On Oct 24, 2007
Well, I guess I am an exception to that logical rule, I have a list of sites I have worked on listed on my resume and basically clients are free to contact them for reference and so far, it has been really positive. grin
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Nobody: 5:22am On Oct 24, 2007
It's baffles me to think that webmaster or web developer don't have their own website( business r personal as the case maybe. i used to be guilty of the same offence and after several months of procastination i finally put the courage to put up my business website. though as webmaster will might have a very tight shedule and do not have time to do our own website but i still believe a webmaster should have a website because you are telling people to have a website and you yourself don't have one for Christ sake some client won't take you serious, so practice what you preached
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by nigeria1: 6:53am On Oct 24, 2007
is webmaster a job?. I do what i do, to keep my brain alive. I know someone looking for computer skill person, who has his own access to internet and willing to make some part time money.  If are interested email At info@nigeriaONE.com

http://NigeriaONE.com

Nigeria first email money transfer company. Make and transfer money to your friend on NigeriaONE.com
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by webmaster3: 8:39am On Oct 24, 2007
Well am a web-programmer and i also don't have a personal website. Although i have a long list of sites that i have developed and i simply refer my clients to check them and its been working well for me. Personally i have not come to realize why i need a personal website.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by rufaai(m): 10:06am On Oct 24, 2007
Well,

I think thesame way, a web designer or developer should have a personal website of his portifolio, knowledge and skills. I will give his customers more insight about him and also easy marketing as it can be acessible all over the globe.

Thats just it,
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Afam(m): 10:09am On Oct 24, 2007
web_master:

Well am a web-programmer and i also don't have a personal website. Although i have a long list of sites that i have developed and i simply refer my clients to check them and its been working well for me. Personally i have not come to realize why i need a personal website.

Where is the long list of sites located? On the web? If yes, on another person's website?

In a word document? If yes, how can you show this to prospective clients if they needed to see the list? Do you sent it via email or do you print it out and take it to them?

None of these strategies is wrong in reality but it is a whole lot convenient for a prospective client to see your works at his/her own time, probably when you are not there as he/she will not be distracted by your explanations, cajoling etc.

And the question of time comes into play. Your website can be seen by say 1000 prospective clients within a space of 30 minutes whereas it will take you over 2 months to show 1000 prospective clients your list of websites.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Binary(m): 10:32am On Oct 24, 2007
Yeap is a good ideal to have your own website, because you can not  called yourself website designer's without having one to show weather good or bad just try and have one for other people to see. cool
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by nigeria1: 11:06am On Oct 24, 2007
For me, no person page, because i do not want to place my picture on the internet. I hate publicity. it is good,if you want to make it a job for life. this year alone. I had about 200 USA companies who wanted me to place their AD on my site. so you can make money. 

Here is a link I want you to check out

Please who is this man in the picture if you know his name.

http://NigeriaONE.com/smf/index.php/topic,7277.msg8650/topicseen.html#msg8650

Nigeria first email money transfer company. Make  and transfer money to your friend on NigeriaONE.com, we need a Nigeria bank as collection point.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by somze(f): 11:31am On Oct 24, 2007
NO you do not need a personal web address, if it is not beneficial to you.

The truth is I'm more motivated getting paid for doing a site

I can show my clients sites that I've done, I get most of my clients from older customers, friends or interaction.

When a client says I want a website, I ask why? What do you hope to gain? Except I find true benefits of a site that is more than the cost of developing and maintaining, I advice against it . . . but still go ahead to do it if client insist wink wink grin grin

Please can anyone tell me how much clients or traffic his website brings?
That would be a good place to start.

Its enough trouble fighting for traffic or rankings on a client's website . . . at least I'm getting paid, but what use is it doing the same for myself unless I see some direct or indirect revenue from it.

I know some very great software and webmasters but they don't have website. This does not mean they do not have home server . . . that is a personal domain space for themselves. This is used for testing, I show customers a sample of their site here and make changes here before I put it up on their own server.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by a3cube: 11:57am On Oct 24, 2007
nigeria1:

For me, no person page, because i do not want to place my picture on the internet. I hate publicity. it is good,if you want to make it a job for life. this year alone. I had about 200 USA companies who wanted me to place their AD on my site. so you can make money. 

Hi NigeriaOne,

What am about to say should not offend you at all. As  for me I love critics. Please kindly give your site a good look. Don't be offended my brother. Your site has lots of information which can serve the public and the world, it's like an information DB. You even said USA companies want their ADs on your site. Please give it a nice look and some nice layout. You might want to take a look at this http://amanaffiliate.com . This site is still in alpha mode and work on it but a little slow for now.  It's a site purposely developed for webmaster, affiliate, reseller and people who want to start making money online too. We all have strenght in different areas. In my case, am not good at writing articles but with code all things work well.

I will also like to make comment on your forum too. The SMF script has been ,  I don't even know what to say about it. Is this not the same template I use on http://OneGreatChurch.com ? I am just surprise with what I saw, maybe it because I don't like things been disordered.

No offense my bro and I hope you do understand me. Please make a change.

Thanks
My name is Silas.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by niceuzor: 12:26pm On Oct 24, 2007
Nice thread i'm also a webmaster you can check out my personal site www.loveupdate.tk l Get Daily Quote.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Kobojunkie: 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2007
web_master:

I am exactly the same way. I have seen way too many personal sites out there that I wonder why the world really needs one more. Infact, I have seen some personal sites that have kind of put me off wanting to hire persons for help on projects. I mean some people get carried away and go off posting personal details that I prefer an employer not even get wind of about who they are employing. So instead, I post my resume to clients and they can check out the list of clients I have worked with and even contact them by post or reference for information on my skills. And I am talking fortune 500 companies I have worked with too.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by niyyie(m): 1:47pm On Oct 24, 2007
It's possible. I was once guilty.
When I started out, I did not have a website. I later got a business website and much later, a personal website.
Its nothing strange.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by astronp7(m): 2:08pm On Oct 24, 2007
Its nice hearing from you all. In that my training class I told my students that they need one. I mean what is the need telling people to have a site and you don't care about one.

In fact it is a rule in my web design trainging session that you design yours first. It shows you have learnt and also that you have interest in the field.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by tundewoods(m): 2:17pm On Oct 24, 2007
What exactly is the problem here is it the use of English language or how to use English language.
Jokes apart,when the poster used the word "Personal Website" i am certainly sure that he was referring to a website that provides useful information about the web designer / developers profile and portfolio.

If you are a serious consulting web designer/developer that runs a full fledge web consulting company,i guess you wouldn't need to be told the importance of a company website.However if you are into web development by chance or just using it to pass time.Well why bother yourself about having a website to showcase your previous projects afterall you have all the time in the world to send them a long list of website on your resume using a yahoo or hotmail email account. grin
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Kobojunkie: 2:50pm On Oct 24, 2007
I happen to be a full Fledged Software/Web Engineer and again, I do not have a site of my own, and for now, have no plans of getting a PERSONAL SITE TO SHOWCASE SITES, since I have a Portfolio section in my Resume which already serves the purpose of showcasing the sites I have worked on. So I do not think it has anything to do with how full fledged or how liberal you are. It is a matter of personal choice and so far, we have seen that not all persons have them and it has yet to stop them from getting work. Yet there are those who have them and still do not get work cause of them.

There is really no rule set in stone that developers have to have them. Never seen such rule.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by olabello(m): 7:16pm On Oct 24, 2007
For people to know you're serious, you must have a corporate website of your own.

Also, several clients website msut be in place for you to refer your prospective clients to.

This is very important.

Enjoy

www.netserveafrica.com
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Coleslove: 10:47pm On Oct 24, 2007
ITBeings:

Hi NigeriaOne,

What am about to say should not offend you at all. As for me I love critics. Please kindly give your site a good look. Don't be offended my brother. Your site has lots of information which can serve the public and the world, it's like an information DB. You even said USA companies want their ADs on your site. Please give it a nice look and some nice layout. You might want to take a look at this http://amanaffiliate.com . This site is still in alpha mode and work on it but a little slow for now. It's a site purposely developed for webmaster, affiliate, reseller and people who want to start making money online too. We all have strenght in different areas. In my case, am not good at writing articles but with code all things work well.

I will also like to make comment on your forum too. The SMF script has been , I don't even know what to say about it. Is this not the same template I use on http://OneGreatChurch.com ? I am just surprise with what I saw, maybe it because I don't like things been disordered.

No offense my bro and I hope you do understand me. Please make a change.

Thanks
My name is Silas.

True Talk bro.

I rarely could identify the Top or Bottom of the site.

Please work on it.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by nigeria1: 11:42pm On Oct 24, 2007
ITBeings 

thank for the link, but i am not interested in that marketing company. I have my contact. I would deal directly. On your website. You used smf. You can modified since you claim you know how to write code. And make the code to do any thing. Smf was written in php. and you just need to know what you are doing,  And that is all. You can even delete the code and write your own code on it . Or open any editor and write your code to it. It is not difficult. If you need help and if i have time. You have only 7 members on your website. I wish you well my brother with the work of God. God luck.

Look, my vision for the website is to get all the Nigeria youth sending useless 419 letter abroad to use my website and i would pay them money for written issue on Nigeria and others issue . This way, they can have little money to take care of them self instead of the disgrace we are getting everyday from the international community.

If the yahooboy and MEND boys can use my website. I would pay them, not like shell,  but something that we help them get a little start in life. Nobody is born a thief or militias. It is situation and environment that turn them into it. And all we need to do is change that situation and environment and their would become better citizen.  Everybody want to own a car and house. Look I leave out here, Oyigbo no be fool,  You can not con a white man. White man too is looking for how to con you too,  They are not fools. So you would end up wanting your youth , hoping that you would get a white man to con. Which would not happen. the % of your success is less that 1%. White people are not fools. Yorubas have a proverb. That wealth we did not labour for would disapear very fast. Labour for your money then God would bless you.

This project is to give the MEND and Yahoo boy monthly income and make their life better. I would pay per post.  . I believe any of them can make as much as N20,000 to N30,000 not much, but at least it would help them get a better start in life. TIME YOU WASTE ON THE INTERNET , USE IT TO MAKE MONEY FOR YOURSELF, iNSTEAD of wasting it on useless thing. TIME IS PRECIOUS.

Google and yahoo have many employee in the USA. this is what I hope to do. Get this boys employed and they would create less trouble for the international community.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by a3cube: 8:43am On Oct 25, 2007
You got me all wrong bro. OneGreatChurch is a new site, so you shouldn't exppect thousand of member as for now.
Which marketing company are you talking about? If it's amanaffiliate.com, then it is own be me. I developed it myself.

All am interested in is to give the site a good look not what your plans are. If you want, you can employed all Nigeria youths and pay them well. What am interested in is the look. Most Nigeria site are bad looking. your site is an image of Nigeria so give it a sharp!
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by nigeria1: 10:21am On Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the advice, but no thanks this is the way we want it and the way it would remain. our decision is based on poll and research, what majority want. Webdesign is not about beautiful colour like i see on your page. If it was. Gooogle would not be the best. It about content. So in one years,  i would check back your website and see how many members you have. . Go luck again. Have a wonderful.

Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by my2cents(m): 11:33am On Oct 25, 2007
I hate to change topics but I feel obligated to. Why? Because of the "If it was. Google would not be the best." comment.

I hear the above all the time from some of us back home in response to how their sites may look. It seems like an instant justification for why their site looks the way it does. Has it occurred to anyone that:

1) Every site has its niche?

2) Google is popular not because of its simplicity but because of its search algorithm?

3) Though popular, if Google were indeed the best, that it would be the only search engine out there (in other words, there are those who will swear that Yahoo! is the best)?

4) Some people are arts-inclined, which implies they need to be visually stimulated to stay on a site?

5) By their very argument, they should be worth billions of dollars like google?

Some sites need to be visually appealing. That's just the way it is. By the way, I tried to open NigeriaOne twice but each time, it crashed my computer (and I have a pretty fast connection).

biko, let's get off this "google is best" thing and start letting our sites speak for themselves. If they need to be simple, let it be, for its own sake and not because "google is simple too".

As always, my 2 cents
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by tundewoods(m): 9:22am On Oct 27, 2007
my2Cents i totally agree with you regarding your opinions about the NigeriaOne website.
Honestly from my own point of veiw that is the worst use Joomla CMS software i've seen on the entire web.

That site need to go to the Beauty Salon for a facelift !!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Certification Authority Comodo Hacked / Zazavi - The Most Advanced Website Builder On The Web - Cnn Ireport. / Why Are My U.S Targeted Facebook Ads Campaign Extremely Expensive???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.