Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear (9486 Views)

When Doctor Asks You "Are You Sexually Active?" In Front Of Your Mum / Why Most Men Do Not Want Their Wives To Work / Can A Doctor Work In An Oil Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 11:47pm On Feb 29, 2012
My village has never produced a medical doctor

hmm, that's not a good thing though.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by yamakuza: 12:29am On Mar 01, 2012
^ The village is definitely not in Ekiti state!
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 12:31am On Mar 01, 2012
such a thing shouldnt even be admitted on a public forum.

not even one medical doctor?

if the village is anti-western medicine or anti-progress then cant someone from there migrate to another town and work on producing development.

such a person can always claim his roots later, maybe after fifty or so decades.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 12:35am On Mar 01, 2012
i'm also starting to think daguru's story is embellished if not totally imaginary, though.

the breaks in between the tale are a clue.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 12:46am On Mar 01, 2012
The guy is a big man who attends meetings in between posts. He will surely come back!
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 8:19am On Mar 01, 2012
Good Morning Folks.
Wallie:

@daguru either watches too much TV or he's a script writer for the sitcoms and soap operas! Why leave off the story when you're getting to the good part? He wants you all to tune in tomorrow at the same time!  smiley

@willie, wish i could remeber the last time i watched a tv programme except channels news. Sorry for the break, it was getting too late and so i had to leave the office to join the chronic lekki-ajah traffic. By the way the demands of my job gives me very little time to sit down and type out details of a particular phase of my life that lasted for over 5years.

tpia@:

i'm also starting to think daguru's story is embellished if not totally imaginary, though.

the breaks in between the tale are a clue.

@tpia. This is a true story about a particular phaser of my life. If you think its madeup then the easiiest way to find that out is to find a doctor on this thread to question my medical knowledge (physiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Pharmacology, Pathology etc. BUT NOT Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pedeatrics cuz i left medical school after my part 11 (path and pharm) exams) Also any present or Ex- UIite on this thread can ask me questions to verify my affiliations with UI and UCH.

I understand that my narrative sounds fictional, but that does not in anyway discredit the fact that its true. By the way, i am just another passive nairalander who enjoys reading throgh the threads but barely comments or posts. It was hard for me to withold my story because the subject of this thread directly relates to my life.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by ayox2003: 11:08am On Mar 01, 2012
^ Part 2 da?
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 01, 2012
By God's grace, i was able to finish 1st year with a 6.8 CGPA despite taking extra load of additional MATHS courses medical students dont take. I was so joyed because i thought that i had achieved my goal of leaving medical school in peace. BUT I WAS WRONG

After purchasing the change of course form and filling it, i proudly took it to see the Dean of Faculty of Tech, who kept to his side of the bargain by signing me into the faculty. With his help, i had no problem getting the signature of the HOD Elect Elect.

With those two alighted parts I doubt the authenticity of this story by daguru. 1st of all, the maximum CGPA in Nigerian university is 5.0 how come he got 6.8?
2ndly, Before a student can be signed in into another dept & faculty he MUST be signed out of his present dept & faculty, because one can not belong to two depts/faculties at the same time that's why signing out must take place 1st before signing in
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 1:29pm On Mar 01, 2012
koastar:

With those two alighted parts I doubt the authenticity of this story by daguru. 1st of all, the maximum CGPA in Nigerian university is 5.0 how come he got 6.8?
2ndly, Before a student can be signed in into another dept & faculty he MUST be signed out of his present dept & faculty, because one can not belong to two depts/faculties at the same time that's why signing out must take place 1st before signing in

@koastar, any Alumni or Present student of the University of Ibadan knows that the grading system is a 7.0 CGPA system and not a 5.0 GPA or CGPA system as is the case in other Nigerian Universities. Just ask around ok. Also, every student at any point in time belongs to a department. In order to switch departments, the student has to be ACCEPTED FIRST by the new department before being signed out by the old department. This prevents a students from signing out of thier present departments BEFORE being accepted by the new department and the possibility of BEING LEFT HANGING if the new department does not for any reason accept the student.  This is the system that operates in the University of Ibadan. GO FIND OUT.

ALSO, the university processes your request to change departments after you submit the CHANGE OF COURSE form duely signed by both HOD's (moving from one department to another within the same faculty) and by both Faculty Sub-Deans (moving from one faculty to another). and then SUBMITTED AT THE REGISTRARS OFFICE

Merely carrying around a change of course form signed by the Dean and HOD but has not been submitted for processing does not make one a student of a new department. Moreover the new department only recorgnises you as thier student after they have RECIEVED NOTIFICATION FROM THE REGISTRAR THAT YOUR APPLICATION FOR A CHANGE HAS BEEN APPROVED
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 2:45pm On Mar 01, 2012
BACK TO MY STORY

After my failed attempt at changing my course of study from MBBS to Elect/Elect, i went on a psychological nose dive until i hit rock bottom. 200 LEVEL

I stopped going to church and all religious activity i used to attend.

Stopped talking to my dad, and stopped going home (used to go to lagos (home) every 3 weeks to pickup food stuffs etc)

Became friends with VEGINUS, a boichemistry student also living in KUTI Hall. He introduced me to a whole new life on campus. Soon i started hanging out with some very wild guys.

I barely went for lectures, and never went for practicals. Went for Cadaver dissection pratical only once. In short i was a very deliquent medical student. sson Agbowo, opposite UI became my second home.

Not long after, cultism and yahoo yahoo all joined together entered my life.

IT ALL CONTINUED THIS WAY UNTIL I ALMOST LOST MY LIFE. I was actualy lucky not be have died after the whole fracas. That experience marked a new begining for me because it helped me realize the end result of my present lifestyle
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
I made up my mind to change for the better and take my life and future seriously as i used to. I also decided to accept my fate about medical school. Afterall i might just be wrong and i might just fall in love with the profession (my uncles advice).

So i started taking medical school seriously with the determination to make up for all the missed CA's and Test. But the more i immersed myself into the training, the more convinced i was that i was in the wrong place and living another mans dream while my own dream rots away.

I guess you all are wondering why i couldnt just buy another jamb form and start over again. That option would have worked if i werent COMPLETELY dependent on my Father for my Upkeep (as most students are). If i stopped medical school and took jamb, it was more than certain that all my finances would freeze up.

NOt long after that, i stumbled upon an article on Mellamby Halls Press Board. The articule was culled from a book written by Jim Rohn and it was about TAKING 100% RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONES LIFE. (TRUE CONFESSION: I couldnt help but steal the article from the press board.). Thats how i discovered Jim Rohn and his teachings. Through his articles i read on the internet, i came to the following realizations

a) I am 100% responsible for every of my experiences in life both good and bad.
b) What right have i to determine what course to study in the university when i dont even have complete freedom over my life. For instance, if my dad freezes my income for whatever reasons, then i would starve
c) If i really wanted to leave medical school, then i have to completely break loose from the clucthes and control of my father, become totally financially indepennt and completely determine the tune the piper plays.

There and then, a new MISSION and VISION was born. My desire and goal shifted from Trying to leave medical school to achieving total financial freedom from my dad.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 5:48pm On Mar 01, 2012
So i decided to start a business of my own selling desktop computers, laptops and computer accesories to members of the university community.

This was back in the days (2003 / 2004) when very dew students owned a desktop pc let alone a computer.
I started with very very little capital, just enough to design a flyer on MS-WORD, print on a laser printer and make hundereds of photocopies on A4 paper to be pasted round the whole campus in the middle of the night with starch.

Soon i started receiving phone calls, mostly from Post Graduate students intested in owning a Pentium 3 desktop computer. Thus my fisrt goldmine was unlocked. Most PG Students,(UI has alot of PG students) badlty needed computing power at affordable prices, so i focoused all my marketing energy and attention on them.

Soon i was shuttling Computer village and Ibadan on a daily basis selling cheap otigbe desktops to pg students and making over 20% profit per sale.

Gradually, over a period of 6 months, i was able to gain complete control of my finances. The business flourished and soon, most lectuers knew my to be the guy to talk to about getting very good laptops and desktops.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by daguru(m): 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
Meanwhile medical school suffered greatly. In order to adapt to the demands of combining medical school with selling computers, i gradually became very very good at CRASH JACKING, ramming hundreds of pages of imformation into my brains in less than 3 days to a major test and passing averagely.

Also, the fact that i was a medical student helped my business a great deal. Most people didnt find it diffcult to trust a medical doctor to be combining the rigours of medical school with thr wahala of shuttling lagos and ibadan every now and then to supply comuters

This way of life continued until my mb part 1 exam (written at the end of 1st seamester 300level). I had to reduce my travel to once a week (saturdays mostly) in order to be able to prepare for the exams.

I wrote it and passed. WHICH MEANS ILL HAVE TO LEAVE UI FOR UCH TO BEGIN MY CLINICAL

On resuming at UCH, i realized i could not just run off to lagos anytime i liked because they had very very very strict attendance requirement with stiff penalties for defaulters.

I HAD NO CHOICE BUT END MY LUCRATIVE BUSINESS. WHICH I DID BT WITH well over 700k in my savings account.

Juggling medical school with business had the following effects on my life.

1) I was bound to be a quack, half baked doctor who obtained his medical degree by cramming, passing and forgetting.
2) I had also become a hyper active person with the ability to juggle many tasks simultanously
3) I was so used to being busy that i no longer know what it is like to be idle even to date, i am always busy always looking for something to do and never idle.
4) Starting a business helped me discover things, skills, abilities and competencies about y=myself that i never knew i had. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT OF THEM IS MY ABILITY TO SELL. I am what you can call a NATURAL SALES MAN. Reselling computers in UI helped hone this skill to a very very fine art.
5) Achiieve complete financial independence from my dad.

NOW THE STAGE WAS SET AND I WAS READY TO QUIT MEDICAL SCHOOL
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 9:12pm On Mar 01, 2012
2ndly, Before a student can be signed in into another dept & faculty he MUST be signed out of his present dept & faculty

i think so too.

however, he insists its not so.

anyway, shrugs.

@tpia. This is a true story about a particular phaser of my life. If you think its madeup then the easiiest way to find that out is to find a doctor on this thread to question my medical knowledge (physiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Pharmacology, Pathology etc. BUT NOT Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pedeatrics cuz i left medical school after my part 11 (path and pharm) exams) Also any present or Ex- UIite on this thread can ask me questions to verify my affiliations with UI and UCH.

I understand that my narrative sounds fictional, but that does not in anyway discredit the fact that its true. By the way, i am just another passive nairalander who enjoys reading throgh the threads but barely comments or posts. It was hard for me to withold my story because the subject of this thread directly relates to my life.

well, if you say so.

however, i'm leaning towards agreeing with the enemies from the village theory, seriously.

that might explain a lot here.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Ilekokonit: 2:25am On Mar 02, 2012
Daguru I was also in your shoes at the same Kuti hall at UI as a member of UIMSA (Univ of Ibadan Medical Students Assoc) for four years (1985-1989) and even if I had wanted to stay and complete medicine, the prevalent conditions of 20% of my class cheating to pass Med school exams rubbed me up the wrong way and as a 22 year old radical I chose my time to abscond from medical school once babangida closed schools during the 1989 riots.

What a welcome riot that was to me and I just started enjoying myself in Lagos during the school closure but had to own up to my understanding Dad when school was reopened late in 1989 that there was no point of me going back to UI as a) I was not really interested in Medicine anymore and[b] b)[/b] I had intentionally not registered for the Exams in a desperate bid to disqualify myself as Mum had earlier taken me to a Pastor to try and discourage me from leaving Med school when i told her of my intention.
Suffice it to say that the pastor after laying hands on me and seeing my insistence on leaving Med school asked me if I was on drugs and i answered in the negative.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by gtrust: 1:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
daguru: So i decided to start a business of my own selling desktop computers, laptops and computer accesories to members of the university community.

This was back in the days (2003 / 2004) when very dew students owned a desktop pc let alone a computer.
I started with very very little capital, just enough to design a flyer on MS-WORD, print on a laser printer and make hundereds of photocopies on A4 paper to be pasted round the whole campus in the middle of the night with starch.

Soon i started receiving phone calls, mostly from Post Graduate students intested in owning a Pentium 3 desktop computer. Thus my fisrt goldmine was unlocked. Most PG Students,(UI has alot of PG students) badlty needed computing power at affordable prices, so i focoused all my marketing energy and attention on them.

Soon i was shuttling Computer village and Ibadan on a daily basis selling cheap otigbe desktops to pg students and making over 20% profit per sale.

Gradually, over a period of 6 months, i was able to gain complete control of my finances. The business flourished and soon, most lectuers knew my to be the guy to talk to about getting very good laptops and desktops.

Did you provide any guarantee or warantee
or was it the usual 'tested ok no refund after purchase'

Now that everybody is selling computers/desktop etc how-far for business

Anyway, becoming a doctor is not for those who want quick money.
You need alot of patience and goodluck to live upto 55years (if you started at 18 or 20 years).
You will start practising real stuff at that stage: home or abroad.
Some people say Doctor is not for the poor but I think they mean: not for those who need money like now now...
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by joshuapharm(m): 4:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
Yeske!:
Good to know you're making it and made the right decision but hope this wouldn't discourage other would-be doctors
Practice is cool if you know what you're doing. To the best of my knowledge this is the only profession in Nigeria with almost 0% unemployment rate

Get your fact right oo.. We av doctors everywhere u turn to, that's y they find it hard to get placement for internship and leave the country at the end of the day... We av a 'super-saturated solution' here when it comes to MBBS graduates.. Cheers
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by joshuapharm(m): 4:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
daguru: Meanwhile medical school suffered greatly. In order to adapt to the demands of combining medical school with selling computers, i gradually became very very good at CRASH JACKING, ramming hundreds of pages of imformation into my brains in less than 3 days to a major test and passing averagely.

Also, the fact that i was a medical student helped my business a great deal. Most people didnt find it diffcult to trust a medical doctor to be combining the rigours of medical school with thr wahala of shuttling lagos and ibadan every now and then to supply comuters

This way of life continued until my mb part 1 exam (written at the end of 1st seamester 300level). I had to reduce my travel to once a week (saturdays mostly) in order to be able to prepare for the exams.

I wrote it and passed. WHICH MEANS ILL HAVE TO LEAVE UI FOR UCH TO BEGIN MY CLINICAL

On resuming at UCH, i realized i could not just run off to lagos anytime i liked because they had very very very strict attendance requirement with stiff penalties for defaulters.

I HAD NO CHOICE BUT END MY LUCRATIVE BUSINESS. WHICH I DID BT WITH well over 700k in my savings account.

Juggling medical school with business had the following effects on my life.

1) I was bound to be a quack, half baked doctor who obtained his medical degree by cramming, passing and forgetting.
2) I had also become a hyper active person with the ability to juggle many tasks simultanously
3) I was so used to being busy that i no longer know what it is like to be idle even to date, i am always busy always looking for something to do and never idle.
4) Starting a business helped me discover things, skills, abilities and competencies about y=myself that i never knew i had. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT OF THEM IS MY ABILITY TO SELL. I am what you can call a NATURAL SALES MAN. Reselling computers in UI helped hone this skill to a very very fine art.
5) Achiieve complete financial independence from my dad.

NOW THE STAGE WAS SET AND I WAS READY TO QUIT MEDICAL SCHOOL

Wowwwwww, I wish u just studied pharmacy, u'd sell, sell, sell, and stop selling.. You'd so selllll.. Buh God knows best anyways.. So it's either u got convinced to finish medical school or u went back to ur business..
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tck2000(m): 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wema Bank Graduate Trainee / Ogun Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Despite Amosun’s Warnings / Electrical Control Panel Design, Installation And Maintenance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.