Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear (9472 Views)

When Doctor Asks You "Are You Sexually Active?" In Front Of Your Mum / Why Most Men Do Not Want Their Wives To Work / Can A Doctor Work In An Oil Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Naijacareerist: 3:45pm On Feb 28, 2012
I remember the day when I decided to tell my mom that I do not want to go to medical school, and that I will switch my major from bilogy to psychology. A lot was going through my mind, and I wasn’t sure how I was going to tell her. I knew there was a possibility that she would give me backlash or tell me that I am disgracing her, but it was a risk I was willing to take. I just could not stand sitting in biology courses and chemistry courses talking about cells and chemical compounds. I dreaded going to chemistry lab.

Then one day I reflected on all this and realized that I had no desire to go to medical school. I couldn’t see myself dealing with patients everyday and going through an 8 year process of getting my medical degree. It’s five pm, time to make the call to my mom.
She picks up asking my how is school, and then I proceeed to tell her. A first she was trying to get me to change my mind,but I refused my mind was made up. At the end of the phone call she says, ” Well my dear if that is what you want to do, I can not stop you”. After that phone call I felt a huge burden lifted off my shoulders, I felt free and in control. 

Six years later I am a human resource professional, loving what I do and could not be anymore happier. Nigerian youth everyday are getting pressure from their parents to pursue certain occupations. It has even become a joke among us that all Nigerians want their child to either  become a doctor, nurse, layer or pharmacist. Anything outside those professions is frowned upon followed up with questions of why do you want to pursue that field. I tell people follow your dream, do not cut your self short because your parents do not understand your career goals. Recently Forbes did an article on the ten happiest jobs and guess what none of those jobs I listed before was on the list. I am not saying there are not people out there who are not happy being a doctor or lawyer, but I am sure there is a plethora of people doing those jobs because it is the “chooses” path. Your passion and happiness will shine through your work, who says you can’t be rich and fulfilled becoming a dancer , graphic designer, or chemist.

You do not always follow the conventional route to achieve something in life. If you are worried about how your parents will react, do not worry eventually they will get over it and support you. I can say that if I followed my parents dream of becoming a doctor I would have been unhappy, and who knows where I would have ended up. Take a risk and follow your dream.

Original Post
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by JUO(m): 4:16pm On Feb 28, 2012
my guy thank God na luck u get
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by brainpulse: 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2012
No comment.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by mkmyers45(m): 4:59pm On Feb 28, 2012
Happy for the person in this article, smiley smiley
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2012
Na person wey don make am, na e story dey sweet pass. Person wey pass na e know book.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by lightest(m): 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2012
watch 3 idiots, u will like it. its an indian film.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by mkmyers45(m): 5:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
lightest:

watch 3 idiots, u will like it. its an indian film.

Yes, its a good film for this topic
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2012
Omo, na so I see am too o, the story of my life. I just knew I wasn't cut out for medicine. Economics has always been my forte. I told my parents after much deliberation and my dad was like "as long as you get a Ph.D, it's okay with me", lol
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 28, 2012
Most interesting. My Story is somehow similar. . . .
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by eghost247(m): 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2012
two sides to every story
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Yeske2(m): 6:43pm On Feb 28, 2012
Good to know you're making it and made the right decision but hope this wouldn't discourage other would-be doctors
Practice is cool if you know what you're doing, the best i know is that this is the only profession in Nigeria with almost 0% unemployment rate
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Yeske2(m): 6:45pm On Feb 28, 2012
Good to know you're making it and made the right decision but hope this wouldn't discourage other would-be doctors
Practice is cool if you know what you're doing. To the best of my knowledge this is the only profession in Nigeria with almost 0% unemployment rate
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by ayox2003: 7:27pm On Feb 28, 2012
God knows how many have killed their inherent pptentials just because they wanted to ''satisfy'' their parents. Thank God you had enough courage to choose your career. Genetic determinism would have diverted you to study Medicine which is a calling.
Lesson of the story: Take charge of your life. Be proactive. Know what you really want and go for it.
Note: Gods direction is the most important.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by moderattor: 8:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
Two years into school, i discovered am a computer genius.
After all efforts to switch to computer science failed
i decided to quit reading my books during the semester in exchange for improving my coding skills.
I read only during exams and had my CGPA drop to 2:1 fro dinstinction.
In final year i quit attending lectures completely as it was really telling on my studying time.
I did all the assignments and practicals , wrote all the quizes and exams.
And graduated a programmer!
One of the things that amazed me was that i got a C in c plus plus (the only computer course in my discipline) instead of an A! Crazy lecturers@
teaching a programming language they cant use!
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 8:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
Yeske!:

Practice is cool if you know what you're doing, the best i know is that this is the
only profession in Nigeria with almost 0% unemployment rate

But with all these goodies that come with working as a medical doctor in Naija and elsewhere around the world, many, even the qualified ones, are still discouraged! Read through nairaland and see things for yourself. hahahaha, do you know how many doctors wrote KPMG entry level test in 2007? hahahahahaha--If you want, maybe I could dig up the result and post it. Medical people are smart, no doubts. But they should please focus on their major calling, which is to help save lives!!!!!!!!

T22.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 8:21pm On Feb 28, 2012
ayox2003:

God knows how many have killed their inherent pptentials just because they wanted to ''satisfy'' their parents. Thank God you had enough courage to choose your career. Genetic determinism would have diverted you to study Medicine which is a calling.
Lesson of the story: Take charge of your life. Be proactive. Know what you really want and go for it.
Note: Gods direction is the most important.

Indeed, many parents are just selfish. I no read merisin, my pikin must read merisin. Why not let the child pursue medicine if that is what he or she wants to do? Why coerce the child into doing what he or she does not want to do?

As I have always maintained, medical people are smart people. However, they should go into the profession, in the first place, only if they are completely convinced that it is what they want to do. If this is the case, we won't see a highly trained medico doing something he or she is not cut out to do.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by deols(f): 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2012
good.

Many of us in my family wanted my younger sis to go for the sciences. We wanted her to study medicine but she said she wanted to be a journalist.
why? she went for a camping and a career talk was given. She loved the journalist who spoke with them and decided the career she wanted. And you know what, she went into art class. The first exam she wrote in SS1, she got six A's out of nine subjects. We were all happy for her. she is more enthusiastic than ever about what she does and happy at it.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Naijacareerist: 9:05pm On Feb 28, 2012
From my experience I just feel Nigerians are still in the world where they think being a doctor or so forth is guaranteed money when in fact you have better chances in finance or computer. It will take another generation to change the way Nigerian parents feel. I rather die trying to be what I want to be than die slowly in what I do not want to be

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Naijacareerist: 9:07pm On Feb 28, 2012
FYI doctors the US are now suffering too many are going bankrupt and can't pay their student debt. Its not cracked up for what it use to be
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by babaowo: 9:16pm On Feb 28, 2012
3 idiots its an indian film ,its very perfect answer to this topic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by kinguwem: 9:17pm On Feb 28, 2012
The medical profession is a humanitarian job. There are a lot of risks and harzard associated with the job. The profession needs dedication and commitment. Doctors may not be rich but they are usually comfortable. The fullfilment that comes with the practice is invaluable.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Yeske2(m): 9:17pm On Feb 28, 2012
All I'll say is this, the medical profession is highly lucrative and challenging  go into it of you are highly motivated.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by pato405(m): 9:40pm On Feb 28, 2012
no b small tin o! i was totally brainwashed into it, till date I still can't spot what exactly I've gained from it. I initially wanted chemical engineering

sad sad sad sad
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Natasha2(f): 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2012
Nice article

pato405:

no b small tin o! i was totally brainwashed into it, till date I still can't spot what exactly I've gained from it. I initially wanted chemical engineering.

sad sad sad sad
awwwww
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by akigbemaru: 9:59pm On Feb 28, 2012
Dokitor is the most lucrative job out there. If it's for Naija, you can make a rethink. As per for America, let all your children be doctors if you want to smile to the banks.
Just 4 years in college
4 years in Medical school
4 years of residency. Don't forget that during your residency, some schools can start off at $60, 000 per annum for you. So in four years you make nothing less than $240,000.

Again, you friends that come close, maybe after college get jobs that start fro $35, 000 to $65,000 dollars per annum, they increase their salaries every year with good companies maybe $5000.

Come back to a Doctor,
A primary care doctor starts of as low as $135, 000 after residency and a surgeon starts off at $160, 000 --- then go back to school to specialize for 3 to 5 years when you come back. Your salary doubles to at least $320, 000 per year. Doctors get paid directly from insurance company, so the best you are the more money you make. Therefore, Medical is still the number one job out there. But you must be smart with some luck too.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by ivana: 10:13pm On Feb 28, 2012
I agree with you. Follow your dreams. I studied medicine because i was a good science student but on the other hand i liked economics as well. I sometimes think of how much different my life would have been if i had studied economics coz . Being a doctor can be really frustrating and challenging. The only thing that keeps me going, is the joy we bring to patients and their families. Most people think you need to be smart to study medicine but i think passion for your chosen profession is the most important quality required.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 10:19pm On Feb 28, 2012
ivana:

I agree with you. Follow your dreams. I studied medicine because i was a good science student but on the other hand i liked economics as well. I sometimes think of how much different my life would have been if i had studied economics coz . Being a doctor can be really frustrating and challenging. The only thing that keeps me going, is the joy we bring to patients and their families. Most people think you need to be smart to study medicine but i think passion for your chosen profession is the most important quality required.

Exactly my point! However, all my doctor friends were very, very smart in high school. I assume all doctors must be of the same calibre or better, no?
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2012
akigbemaru:

Dokitor is the most lucrative job out there. If it's for Naija, you can make a rethink. As per for America, let all your children be doctors if you want to smile to the banks.
Just 4 years in college
4 years in Medical school
4 years of residency. Don't forget that during your residency, some schools can start off at $60, 000 per annum for you. So in four years you make nothing less than $240,000.

Again, you friends that come close, maybe after college get jobs that start fro $35, 000 to $65,000 dollars per annum, they increase their salaries every year with good companies maybe $5000.

Come back to a Doctor,
A primary care doctor starts of as low as $135, 000 after residency and a surgeon starts off at $160, 000 --- then go back to school to specialize for 3 to 5 years when you come back. Your salary doubles to at least $320, 000 per year. Doctors get paid directly from insurance company, so the best you are the more money you make. Therefore, Medical is still the number one job out there. But you must be smart with some luck too.

No wonder my guy has been running insane. I just pray he aces USMLE 3. We were discussing this 160K thingy on Saturday.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tanimola22: 10:25pm On Feb 28, 2012
ivana:

You might have been roaming the streets of Lagos. Do you know how many jobless eco graduates exist on this forum? I don't think doctors can boast of that rate of unemployment in 20 years grin
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by Naijacareerist: 10:47pm On Feb 28, 2012
Do not be fooled health laws in the US have now changed and doctors are not making that much anymore espeically in primary. They are not begging people to become primary because there is simple not enough of them . If you want to be a doctor you really have to have passion for it if you want money go into business instead and save yourself the debt.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 11:02pm On Feb 28, 2012
People keep persuading themselves doctors are making so much money- na just to siddon look all of them?

Its like telling folks overseas isnt always a paradise- they feel you're against their progress.

Oh well.
Re: I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear by tpia5: 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2012
But i wouldnt discourage people from studying medicine though.

Just that if you're in it for the money only then you might have a problem.

Not saying doctor shouldnt be well renumerated either.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What You Can Do If You Feel Undervalued At Work / Ogun Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Despite Amosun’s Warnings / Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.