Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Uniport No Be School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Uniport No Be School (22001 Views)

UNIPORT: No Life Was Lost During Students’ Protest – Police / Student Eggplant Goes Missing In Uniport(photo) / UNIPORT 2014 Official Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uniport No Be School by wisepluto(m): 10:55pm On Mar 02, 2012
Seriously, before i got admission into Uniport, i felt like i landed in a place where with a Uniben students effort will land me into a first class honours. I surpassed my learning target, burnt candles, chose not to cook but preferred mama abuja canteen. Uniport having no heart to make her students excel only graduated 8 students with the first class honours, while a large chunk came out with 3rd class and 2.2

If you are aspiring to any tertiary institution, my CANDID advice: NEVER YOU THINK OF APPLYING TO THAT SCHOOL called UNIPORT
Re: Uniport No Be School by JinjaWiid: 7:44am On Mar 03, 2012
What do you mean with a Uniben student's effort?
I don't understand, I went to UI (BS and PhD) and dont know what a Uniport or Uniben student's effort means?
Is it possible you are not as smart as you think, or that in spite of all your efforts, you could not measure up?
Before you make such categorical statements, maybe you wont mind telling the forum: how many times you took jamb, what did you score, and did you get in as first choice/second choice/ catchment area/egunje candidate?
If we get more information, then we can critically consider your advice.

If i may, i would like to give you some advice of my own. Forget first class, 2nd or 3rd class. Education is a lifelong endeavor. The first class graduate of today quickly becomes a dinosaur if s/he rests on his/her laurels. So now that you have left the four walls of Uni, you are now in the school of life- just stay up to date and quit worrying about Uniport.

2 Likes

Re: Uniport No Be School by tunene: 9:41am On Mar 03, 2012
Wise-pluto,

Just take Jinjawiid's advice and stop moaning. First class no be yam. Dem no de sell am for market. If you applied Uniben's student effort (only you know what that means) and you realised sometime in part 2 or 3 that it won't take you anywhere, why did you not apply Uniport student effort. Who said you need to eat in Mama abuja restaurant or read 23hrs to make a first class.

Brother, starts to improve yourself now. For a first class graduate or anybody else, the cow dung that got you to whereever you are would not sustain you there. You need to keep learning.

1 Like

Re: Uniport No Be School by otokx(m): 12:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
Mama Abuja is not so bad but wisepluto do try and double up your efforts lest you end up in a worse state. UNIPORT gives first class to as many that deserve and can defend such high standard anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Uniport No Be School by wisepluto(m): 1:44pm On Mar 03, 2012
tnx for d replies, u guys obviously dnt knw wat students face there. of course its a national ailment, but the perculiarity is obscure. a sch dat gradutes no one above 4.0 isn'tt worth the stress. Infact my proj.supervisor angrily told me dat since he never came out with a 2.1, no one shuld dare it. However, at d last count, unilag produced 115 first class studnts, while uniport culd only send just 8 first class studnts forth. Mind you, am into IT, i have a knack for apps developmnt. still stand my grounds, Uniport isnt worth the stress and effort. Gbam!
Re: Uniport No Be School by GoodBoi1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 03, 2012
It's true. Some lecturers there are just bent on frustrating students. It took me a bad first semester result, when I was in level 100, to realize that I had to change my approach to my studies from ''overserious'' to it's-all-about-your-grades. I decided to not just work harder but also smarter and, there have been significant improvement
Re: Uniport No Be School by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 03, 2012
Wisepluto, I disagree with u! I'm currently in uniport, faculty of engineering for dat matter, where dey refused to use our best 150, yet, we get as we deserve most times, xcept for d fact dat engineering students are victimised for any general course dat leaks during exams,
I think u need to improve, uniport is not beans, Try some uniport effort! And please don't discourage people, We're much in my class above 4.00,

By d way, if u think mama abuja is bad, try d bukka after hers, where u'll eat wit one hand and chase flies with d other.
Re: Uniport No Be School by Obijulius: 7:39pm On Mar 03, 2012
Pali. Post your transcript, ssce/gce results here. We shall place u in d appropriate class.
Re: Uniport No Be School by Afam4eva(m): 7:42pm On Mar 03, 2012
You for go Unilag. Dem dey dash first class like gideon bible.

1 Like

Re: Uniport No Be School by Gaskia: 7:58pm On Mar 03, 2012
Back in our university days, it was actually frustrating to have grades that were lower than ones efforts, sometimes discouraging coupled with economic and enviromental challenges. However, what matters is who you are convinced you are. If u were awaded a pass and you are convinced you are a 1st class stuff, never give up. Come up with 1st class ideas and inventions then you will be celebrated n rewarded by man and The Almighty than those with mere paper 1st class without meaningful contribution to creation. I like ur passion for 1st class, don't give up, but turn it into providing 1st class solutions like Gani Fawehenmi, wole soyinka, Bill gates, steve Jobs and many others. Wishing u the strength to carry on.
Re: Uniport No Be School by funshint(m): 8:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
Man's effort without God's blessing is in vain!

2 Likes

Re: Uniport No Be School by dealordea(m): 8:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
@poster!!! same section of stuff happen in Ladoke university most especially in the engineering department were a lecturer will keep on telling you, A1 is for God, B is meant for him and c is meant for student, so no one is going to surpass that C!!!lol wonder why sadist are filled up in federal government universities, most especially the universities in western part of the country and eastern part of the country. Guy, i have a friend who just graduate from uniport, despite the fact that his one of the best student in is dept, he came out with 2.1 and he was dissapointed
Re: Uniport No Be School by duality(m): 8:06pm On Mar 03, 2012
Even when some students are not half as intelligent as their lecturer, they still want to claim first class.

it surprises me, when i see children who are not as good as i was during my ssce and first degree days claiming A1 in maths and 2;1 in engineering. i jst keep wondering what the heck is happening.

well, i think its the society and employers of labour who put so much emphasis on high grades A1s, 2:1s first class etc. now what do we have, 2:2 students holding 2;1 results. good grades with no corresponding competence.  how many 2;1s did we produce those days. very few but they were all good. now every body wants a 2;1 and first class because that is what most organization require. no problem; we will soon have so many first class who can not resolve simple algebra.

after all, Eneke the bird discovered that hunters now shoot without missing, it will also fly without perching.
Re: Uniport No Be School by tunene: 8:09pm On Mar 03, 2012
deal_ordea:

@poster!!! same section of stuff happen in Ladoke university most especially in the engineering department were a lecturer will keep on telling you, A1 is for God, B is meant for him and c is meant for student, so no one is going to surpass that C!!!lol wonder why sadist are filled up in federal government universities, most especially the universities in western part of the country and eastern part of the country. Guy, i have a friend who just graduate from uniport, despite the fact that his one of the best student in is dept, he came out with 2.1 and he was dissapointed

There might be some issues but what is wrong with the best graduating student from a department in engineering (not faculty) with a 2.1. If his effort does not qualify for a first class, should they now push him and give him a first class because he is going to be the dept best graduating student. A little analysis of the guys past effort would help - SSCE, JAMB, semester performances and you might see that what you call best might only qualify for a 2.1 afterall more Bs than As would only qualify you for a 2.1, not to imagine somebody having Cs.
Re: Uniport No Be School by Sike(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2012
Move On Dude!
Re: Uniport No Be School by dealordea(m): 8:16pm On Mar 03, 2012
tunene:

There might be some issues but what is wrong with the best graduating student from a department in engineering (not faculty) with a 2.1. If his effort does not qualify for a first class, should they now push him and give him a first class because he is going to be the dept best graduating student. A little analysis of the guys past effort would help - SSCE, JAMB, semester performances and you might see that what you call best might only qualify for a 2.1 afterall more Bs than As would only qualify you for a 2.1, not to imagine somebody having Cs.

Have you ever come across a sadist while in school?? i bet you never, maybe you are one those student who read urban and regional planing for first degree!!! lol. First, i always think prayers help to change the mind of some lecturers but they just want to keep some student below them, no matter the effort the student put in other to be a first class student!!!
Re: Uniport No Be School by noncapax: 8:20pm On Mar 03, 2012
@ poster, work hard and stop complaining. In most departments in uniport, you do get what you deserve.
Re: Uniport No Be School by tunene: 8:28pm On Mar 03, 2012
deal_ordea:

Have you ever come across a sadist while in school?? i bet you never, maybe you are one those student who read urban and regional planing for first degree!!! lol. First, i always think prayers help to change the mind of some lecturers but they just want to keep some student below them, no matter the effort the student put in other to be a first class student!!!

non capax:

@ poster, work hard and stop complaining. In most departments in uniport, you do get what you deserve.

Deal_ordea,

Sorry I did not study URP, I studied engineering from a federal university in Nigeria. In our days people like you were busy complaining why others were busy getting the grades. better go and work and stop moaning.

Non Capax,
Thanks. Your advice is spot on. I hope they will use it.

1 Like

Re: Uniport No Be School by dustydee: 8:37pm On Mar 03, 2012
Truth be told some lecturers in Nigerian universities take pleasure in "failing" students. Thank God I never came across such in my department but there were definitely some in my school. You only make life tougher for the students when they graduate as most positions are only open for 2.1 and first class and even if a student is as good as the 2.1's and 1st class'.
Re: Uniport No Be School by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2012
wisepluto:

tnx for d replies,  u guys obviously dnt knw wat students face there. of course its a national ailment, but the perculiarity is obscure. a sch dat gradutes no one above 4.0 isn'tt worth the stress. Infact my proj.supervisor angrily told me dat since he never came out with a 2.1, no one shuld dare it. However, at d last count, unilag produced 115 first class studnts, while uniport culd only send just 8 first class studnts forth. Mind you, am into IT, i have a knack for apps developmnt. still stand my grounds,  Uniport isnt worth the stress and effort. Gbam!

Most First Class 'materials' that I know can never succumb to the 'textual laziness' that most of these Internet-generation people are guilty of. I find it difficult to believe that those of you that are used to ridiculous textual shorthand would not offhandedly demonstrate such careless tendencies in official/formal writing situations such as examinations. A few years ago I helped a lecturer friend of mine mark some scripts in a private university (name withheld), and I was horrified to find that MOST of the students were careless enough to abbreviate words in their exam answers (e.g "4 instance", dere4", "n", "cud", "dat", etc). Yet they would wonder why they did not make First Class.

Ol' Boy, First Class no be moi moi or beans oh, at least not in any good federal university in this country. You have to prove beyond reasonable academic doubt that you tower head and shoulders above the prevailing mediocrity. Addressing your examiners with insouciant colloquialisms (such as the aforementioned examples) hardly qualifies you as an individual that is thoroughly deserving of excellent grades that they (i.e your examiners) didn't make in their time. You might claim that you would be more formal in your approach in a serious situation than in an informal context such as Nairaland, but then, I know for a fact that you need to be a quasi-pedant at the very least to truly be a First Class material.

You should be thankful that you escaped with a 'gentleman' 2.2.

Candid Advice: Build on that and pray for God's favour - it will take you to heights you might ordinarily never attain, even with a First Class degree.

1 Like

Re: Uniport No Be School by texazzpete(m): 8:56pm On Mar 03, 2012
pro01:

Most First Class 'materials' that I know can never succumb to the 'textual laziness' that most of these Internet-generation people are guilty of. I find it difficult to believe that those of you that are used to ridiculous textual shorthand would not offhandedly demonstrate such careless tendencies in official/formal writing situations such as examinations. A few years ago I helped a lecturer friend of mine mark some scripts in a private university (name withheld), and I was horrified to find that MOST of the students were careless enough to abbreviate words in their exam answers (e.g "4 instance", dere4", "n", "cud", "dat", etc). Yet they would wonder why they did not make First Class.

Ol' Boy, First Class no be moi moi or beans oh, at least not in any good federal university in this country. You have to prove beyond reasonable academic doubt that you tower head and shoulders above the prevailing mediocrity. Addressing your examiners with insouciant colloquialisms (such as the aforementioned examples) hardly qualifies you as an individual that is thoroughly deserving of excellent grades that they (i.e your examiners) didn't make in their time. You might claim that you would be more formal in your approach in a serious situation than in an informal context such as Nairaland, but then, I know for a fact that you need to be a quasi-pedant at the very least to truly be a First Class material.

Candid Advice: Build on that and pray for God's favour - it will take you to heights you might ordinarily never attain, even with a First Class degree.

GBAM!! THERMONUCLEAR GBAM!! grin
Re: Uniport No Be School by ovd: 9:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
Guy sit up,uniport is d dream of almost every secondary sch leaver.what u give is wat u get.don't b bias
Re: Uniport No Be School by wisepluto(m): 9:15pm On Mar 03, 2012
tnx 2 everyone, the honest truth is that the situation in uniport is a different ball game entirely. Can u point out any manager leading any multinational, dat graduated from Uniport. Lets be real, Unilag graduated 115 first class while uniport graduated just 8, in the same circumstance a lecturer tells you that since he came out with a 2.2, never you nurse the interest of a first class or a 2.1, as a matter of fact, i have discovered by innate gift, i write codes to solve several stuffs. My concern is for those who after burning series of candles in the night and yet came out with a 3rd class, The school isn't just worth the efforts of the nigerian students
Re: Uniport No Be School by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 03, 2012
pro01:

Seconded
Re: Uniport No Be School by jamebex(m): 9:26pm On Mar 03, 2012
Many student enters uni with the drive to get a first class, Many of which are smart and some not so smart.
As they go along some are left out of the race, at the end only the "exceptional" ones make it.
Note exceptional doesnt mean you have to be a genius, you just need to be atleast average, resilent and "DEDICATED".
@ OP you just might not be as smart as you think you are, but dont let the fact that you did not get a first class discourage you. I am 2:1 afterall but i have a 1st class brain, mindset, "INFORMATION".
@those using Jamb and Waec to judge how good people are, i beg to disagree coz alot of factors contribute to how well one can perfom in those exam, such factors are school standard, training, exposure etc. I for one didnt have A1s in my waec or 300ish jamb but in my department and faculty i am
up there at par with those who had A1s in waec and just incase i'm 2:1 4.2.
Re: Uniport No Be School by prodam(m): 9:50pm On Mar 03, 2012
jamebex:

Many student enters uni with the drive to get a first class, Many of which are smart and some not so smart.
As they go along some are left out of the race, at the end only the "exceptional" ones make it.
Note exceptional doesnt mean you have to be a genius, you just need to be atleast average, resilent and "DEDICATED".
@ OP you just might not be as smart as you think you are, but dont let the fact that you did not get a first class discourage you. I am 2:1 afterall but i have a 1st class brain, mindset, "INFORMATION".
@those using Jamb and Waec to judge how good people are, i beg to disagree coz alot of factors contribute to how well one can perfom in those exam, such factors are school standard, training, exposure etc. I for one didnt have A1s in my waec or 300ish jamb but in my department and faculty i am
up there at par with those who had A1s in waec and just incase i'm 2:1 4.2.

PERFECT

getting first class in Nigerian Universities as some posters have rightly stated, is beyond reading only. It involves "total Intelligence". scholars are people who survive against all odds under the same environment with others. sadist lecturers or "score stingy" profs are part of the factors and problems that students would be made to solve in order to achieve the best. problems like that amounts to the reason why graduands get excited on the day of their convocation.
Get the fact right: class of degrees have been bastardized with corruption. employers have learned about it so applicants are made to pass through a serious interview that serves as a "confirmation test" for the applicant's results.
the news of an English graduate with 2.1 that couldn"t spell the word "encounter" at the last Nigeria Police Force exam is still fresh in our memory, on this note, I concur with previous arguement and submit that YOUR INNER ABILITY WOULD CARVE A NICHE FOR YOU IN THE SOCIETY NO MATTER YOUR RESULTS
Re: Uniport No Be School by IRAPADA(m): 10:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
Wil graduating with first class guarantee 1s beta live?.
Re: Uniport No Be School by omodapson(m): 10:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
So na dash schools dey dash certificate now? shocked dem no dey earn am again?
Re: Uniport No Be School by tanimola22: 10:27pm On Mar 03, 2012
pro01:

Most First Class 'materials' that I know can never succumb to the 'textual laziness' that most of these Internet-generation people are guilty of. I find it difficult to believe that those of you that are used to ridiculous textual shorthand would not offhandedly demonstrate such careless tendencies in official/formal writing situations such as examinations. A few years ago I helped a lecturer friend of mine mark some scripts in a private university (name withheld), and I was horrified to find that MOST of the students were careless enough to abbreviate words in their ex[b]am answers (e.g "4 instance", dere4", "n", "cud", "dat", etc). Yet they would wonder why they did not make First Class.[/b]

@pro 01  My post might sound weird but, tell me, is the above not an exaggeration?  shocked You know, those private schools are attended by students who had the best of primary and secondary school education. Most of them even made a 1 in WAEC/NECO English language. Your submission astonishes me in no small measure, I must truly say.

T22
Re: Uniport No Be School by idmanzik: 10:28pm On Mar 03, 2012
wisepluto:

tnx 2 everyone, the honest truth is that the situation in uniport is a different ball game entirely. Can u point out any manager leading any multinational, dat graduated from Uniport. Lets be real, Unilag graduated 115 first class while uniport graduated just 8, in the same circumstance a lecturer tells you that since he came out with a 2.2, never you nurse the interest of a first class or a 2.1, as a matter of fact, i have discovered by innate gift, i write codes to solve several stuffs. My concern is for those who after burning series of candles in the night and yet came out with a 3rd class, The school isn't just worth the efforts of the nigerian students

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is a graduate of University of Port so is his wife.

Your concern should not be for those burning the midnight candle, but rather focus on ways to help your alma mata. It will not be a bad idea if you proceed to earn an MSc and PhD, then come back and teach those saddist the good ways.
Re: Uniport No Be School by Mafious(m): 10:55pm On Mar 03, 2012
I wonder why anybody in Nigeria would kill himself over a first class when in reality you get a first class by doing assingments in time and cramming hand-outs written by a lecturer who all he knows about his course is what he crammed in his own time.

I did not finish from OSU but if I did I would have come out with a 3rd class with honours, but everything I know about computers I learnt from personal development and NIIT. All of us from Nigerian schools had to bury our certificates when we came to the states, I cannot tell you the number of first class people working odd jobs here in Texas. What ever anybody say Nigerian education is a sham, you degree is not recognised anywhere outside the country except you get a foreign masters to make it more responsible. Don't waste your time use you head and talent the bulk of the people who have made a name for themselves don't even have any formal education. I work construction on the side and what some people go to school to be taught by proffessors is what high school kids here use to play pranks.

Worthless degrees from a worthless country
Gbam!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uniport No Be School by stagger: 11:46pm On Mar 03, 2012
UNIPORT is not an academic environment and anyone who has been to that school can see it in the air. Students there spend ore hours in shows and joints and clubs than in the classroom.

Besides what does the OP mean by UNIBEN effort?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

School Of Nursing Or Studying Nursing In The University,which Is Better? / Strike: UNIBEN Pharmacy Students Protest, Storm Oba Of Benin's Palace (Photos) / Lagos Comprehensive School Students Receive E-learning Tablets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.